65cc inputs

zac_k3
2/21/2020 5:23am Edited Date/Time 2/22/2020 3:32pm
I have a long time friend coming from an atv background looking to buy a 65 for his son, he’s a beginner and coming off a kx65 but he’s wanting to get him a more competitive bike. I’m obviously a bike guy but i’m very out of date in the new 65s. He’s looking at the Ktm, Husky, and Yzs. Can you guys drop some negatives and positives about whatever your kids ride?
|
Hoseclamp
Fantasy
632nd
2/21/2020 5:59am
Ive had a ktm 65 for 4 or 5 years now. Its been a great bike for us. A kid at our track got a new husky 65 last year and its a frikkin rocket ship! I dont know much about the yammies.
agn5009
2/21/2020 6:25am
The kx 65's are more than competitive enough for a beginner I would think? I highly doubt hes gonna be any better by switching from a kx to a ktm/husky.
Press516
Fantasy
111th
2/21/2020 7:24am
agn5009 wrote:
The kx 65's are more than competitive enough for a beginner I would think? I highly doubt hes gonna be any better by switching from a...
The kx 65's are more than competitive enough for a beginner I would think? I highly doubt hes gonna be any better by switching from a kx to a ktm/husky.
This right here... It's time for a full tear down and build up for that KX65.

https://dirtbikemagazine.com/2004-kawasaki-kx65-project-behind-the-buil…
zac_k3
2/21/2020 7:25am
agn5009 wrote:
The kx 65's are more than competitive enough for a beginner I would think? I highly doubt hes gonna be any better by switching from a...
Yeah i agree, he’s reasoning for wanting to switch is “it’s not competitive and the suspension is trash”. He already sold the Kx but coming from the atvs and him not being the rider i don’t think he understands what a few bolt one and suspension set up would do for the bike if they felt that way.

The Shop

zac_k3
2/21/2020 7:27am
Hoseclamp wrote:
Ive had a ktm 65 for 4 or 5 years now. Its been a great bike for us. A kid at our track got a new...
Ive had a ktm 65 for 4 or 5 years now. Its been a great bike for us. A kid at our track got a new husky 65 last year and its a frikkin rocket ship! I dont know much about the yammies.
He’s wanting to go check out a yz65 at a local dealer but they also sell ktms too so maybe he’ll check that out too. I’m worried the kid will hope on a ktm/husky and it be something he can even hold onto and get hurt and be scared of it.
Hoseclamp
Fantasy
632nd
2/21/2020 7:31am
Hoseclamp wrote:
Ive had a ktm 65 for 4 or 5 years now. Its been a great bike for us. A kid at our track got a new...
zac_k3 wrote:
He’s wanting to go check out a yz65 at a local dealer but they also sell ktms too so maybe he’ll check that out too. I’m...
He’s wanting to go check out a yz65 at a local dealer but they also sell ktms too so maybe he’ll check that out too. I’m worried the kid will hope on a ktm/husky and it be something he can even hold onto and get hurt and be scared of it.
Well they can easily be tamed down till he gets the hang of it... but how slow was that kx? If he could ride that well enough he should be able to handle another 65. Dang, do you want performance or not.
slipdog
2/21/2020 7:40am Edited Date/Time 2/21/2020 7:41am
zac_k3 wrote:
He’s wanting to go check out a yz65 at a local dealer but they also sell ktms too so maybe he’ll check that out too. I’m...
I just got my 8yr old son a KX and it's fine but my buddy just got his 9yr old son a YZ and overall it's a better bike. Not that my son would go any faster but the YZ motor config with the powervalve makes it faster and easier to ride at the same time. The YZ pulls out of the same corner my son's KX kind of lugs then hits. I have several engine mods I can do to help/fix the KX powerband but you don't have to do them with the YZ or KTM/Husky.

I did save $1600 buying the KX so there's that but we'll switch to a YZ if/when he starts to race and becomes competitive. For now the KX is more than adequate.
simpson335
2/21/2020 7:55am
My kid got a late start and only got about 6 months on a cobra sr before he aged out of 50s. I looked at YZ, KTM and Husky also. It seemed like the YZ was the most bang for your buck. Sucks not having the hydraulic clutch like the KTM and Husky have, but at the same time it makes it harder for my boy to abuse it and develop bad habits. He right at a year on his yz65. Suspension was set up too stiff at first, and bike ran super rich all the time. Got it jetted right, and sprung for his weight, and haven't had one issue.
agn5009
2/21/2020 7:57am
agn5009 wrote:
zac_k3 wrote:
Yeah i agree, he’s reasoning for wanting to switch is “it’s not competitive and the suspension is trash”. He already sold the Kx but coming from...
Yeah i agree, he’s reasoning for wanting to switch is “it’s not competitive and the suspension is trash”. He already sold the Kx but coming from the atvs and him not being the rider i don’t think he understands what a few bolt one and suspension set up would do for the bike if they felt that way.
I've never heard of anyone switching to a KTM or Husky for their suspension Laughing

You wanna talk about trash, wait til he tries anything made by WP Pinch
Buzzard167
2/21/2020 8:00am
Anyone have experience with a Cobra 65? I've always thought their bikes were pretty slick but I don't see too many of the 65's around.
agn5009
2/21/2020 8:03am
agn5009 wrote:
zac_k3 wrote:
Yeah i agree, he’s reasoning for wanting to switch is “it’s not competitive and the suspension is trash”. He already sold the Kx but coming from...
In all seriousness just explain that to him. By all means, if hes not concerned about the money side of it then he should buy whatever he wants. Obviously we dont know his financial status. But if hes on a budget just trying to get his kid out there then a kx 65 would be more than enough.

The new yz 65s are really sweet from what I've heard. Plus they'll come with much better suspension and they're probably cheaper than the KTM.
zac_k3
2/21/2020 8:21am
agn5009 wrote:
I've never heard of anyone switching to a KTM or Husky for their suspension :laugh: You wanna talk about trash, wait til he tries anything made...
I've never heard of anyone switching to a KTM or Husky for their suspension Laughing

That’s exactly what i was i thinking.. i don’t think the kid is fast enough or know enough about suspension for it to even be a problem but he’s a first time mini dad so i think he just sees that’s what everyone else is riding so that’s what he needs
Deetsmx
2/21/2020 8:51am
Like someone stated above, the KTM is much easier to ride and they'll barely need to use the clutch as the torque on those little bikes is impressive. The KX is much harder to keep in the meat of the powerband.
Wiley
2/21/2020 11:17am
As a dad supporting his son's aspirations to ride I see the biggest difference being in the quality of the machines. The KTM/Huskys are much better bikes with respect to quality over the Kawasakis. I've not worked on the Yamahas yet, so I can't comment on those. As too, look at how the Kawasakis haven't had any updates in years, they're still running conventional forks, whereas the Austrians have updated their bikes to keep in step with the industry changes to the big bikes.
Kelz87
Fantasy
1574th
2/21/2020 11:35am
This is a totally non-helpful comment in regards to your post, but KTM does more for moto than other companies and I support them for that. They were/are still putting in effort into developing bikes for kids when no one else really was, and put on the KTM Junior SX races for kids that are keeping their noses clean.

Also non-helpful, but they make a bike for everyone and every transition from 50cc-450cc and everything in between. I’m a Kawi guy at heart, but if I were buying a bike for my kid, it’d be KTM/Husky. Flame on
Brent
2/21/2020 11:51am
My 11 year old rode the YZ 65 two weeks ago at Fox Raceway during the Yamaha demo day, he said he liked it a lot, but he said the clutch is harder to pull than the KTM 65.
chump6784
2/21/2020 12:46pm
We have a yz65 and so far its been great. My boy has just started riding it and is still getting his head around the gears so sometimes he will leave it in 3rd through corners where he should be in 2nd. It will still pull out of the corners and build power fairly smoothly for a 65. Other kids on kx's on the same track can't get away with that.

As for comparison between the yz and ktm/husky, the yz was cheaper and performance wise I don't think there is much difference at all between the two. For me it came down to the fact that I'm more a yamaha guy than a ktm guy and I already had a yz 125 and yz 250 in the garage
ben5020
2/21/2020 1:03pm
Fast youngsters that I know mostly race ktm/husky 65 and are very very happy with the bikes, a friend of mines son went from being very fast in his yz65 to dropping 8 seconds a lap on a ktm, needless to say he’s on ktm now. Kx65 to a ktm/husky/Yz will be a huge upgrade for any kid that rides on mx tracks and actually jumps
zac_k3
2/21/2020 1:10pm Edited Date/Time 2/21/2020 1:11pm
Thanks for the input guys, unfortunately the shop closest to us that sold huskys closed down but the shop right down the road has a ktm and yz in stock. I think he’s going to come down and look at them and let the kid sit on them both and decide for himself. I’ve been sharing this info with him and i think he is going to push for the ktm due to the hydraulic clutch and being easier to ride. But i will let everyone know his decision if you’d like! Cool
Deja New
2/21/2020 1:10pm
agn5009 wrote:
zac_k3 wrote:
agn5009 wrote:
I've never heard of anyone switching to a KTM or Husky for their suspension :laugh: You wanna talk about trash, wait til he tries anything made...

No...... but my neighbor switched his kid 4 weeks ago from kx to yz for the suspension and handling. His boy is noticeably faster on the yz. His body position is better in corners and in the air over jumps the yz appears to react far better. He moves around the bike more comfortably due the the layout of the yz, it’s a modern bike with a flat seat from rear guard to tank. The kx is 20 year old design with a big dip in the seat. The Kx is fast and bulletproof but.... the yz is just even better.
Just my 2c from watching
Deja New
2/21/2020 1:12pm
Going over tomorrow I’ll get some side by side pics so you can see what I mean as they have both bikes still.
4DAIVIPAI2K5
2/21/2020 3:36pm
Buzzard167 wrote:
Anyone have experience with a Cobra 65? I've always thought their bikes were pretty slick but I don't see too many of the 65's around.
Son has one. He tired them all before he picked the Cobra. He said the motor pulled the hardest and he was comfortable with the feel with riding a cobra 50.

Braaaphole
2/21/2020 7:30pm
My kid was on a KX65, it is not up to par with the KTM/Husky, YZ, or Cobra. The suspension is the biggest draw back to it.
Watch and see what Ryder Ellis does at Loretta's this year on the KX. He will likely be the only KX there and that bike is as trick as they can make it. I'll be interested to see how he does, but I'm afraid the suspension on that bike may hinder his results.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
2109th
2/22/2020 4:35am Edited Date/Time 2/22/2020 4:38am
We have seen a ton of KTM parents switch to the Yamaha. I would choose the YZ just for the suspension... Either will be a big step up from the KX. I just had a dad trade a KX 65 in on a KTM 65 I had, two very different bikes.... The suspension is enough of a difference to avoid the KX IMO...
FGR01
Fantasy
1334th
2/22/2020 12:47pm
The KTM Mikuni carb (and I assume same on Husky) is finicky to temp and elevation. We ride at 3000-4500 ft. If the bike is leaned out for this elevation and we go down to 1500ft it will be so lean it will not cold start. This would not be a huge deal except KTM has made it where you can adjust nothing on the carb without ripping the bike apart. For some crazy reason they put the air screw on the right side of the carb behind the shock. Nihilo makes an extended air screw kit to help with this but otherwise you basically have to remove the top shock bolt to adjust the air screw. Dumb. You also cannot rotate the carb and remove the bowl plug to swap pilot/main jets. You have to remove the subframe and remove the carb from the bike. Dumb. None of this may be an issue if your riding elevation and temps are more stable. The YZ65 carb appears that it would be much more user friendly to adjust.

On the plus side, the KTM weighs about 10 lbs less than the YZ. It also has really good reliability if you maintain air filter and use good 2-stroke oil. My buddy routinely gets over 50 hrs on a top end and over 150 on a bottom end no problem.

If it was me, I'd get the YZ for the suspension, reliability, and ease of tuning unless my kid was a future Pro and absolutely had to have 10 lbs less.
Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1673rd
2/22/2020 2:57pm
We had the KTM and it was a great bike. When my son went to the 85 were went to Husky and now have the 250 and 350 Huskys. They've been solid for us. No matter which bike he chooses, I would highly recommend getting the suspension done. That way the bike is specific to the rider. That's more important than any tiny amount of power difference.
wisey
Fantasy
1457th
2/22/2020 3:32pm
FGR01 wrote:
The KTM Mikuni carb (and I assume same on Husky) is finicky to temp and elevation. We ride at 3000-4500 ft. If the bike is leaned...
The KTM Mikuni carb (and I assume same on Husky) is finicky to temp and elevation. We ride at 3000-4500 ft. If the bike is leaned out for this elevation and we go down to 1500ft it will be so lean it will not cold start. This would not be a huge deal except KTM has made it where you can adjust nothing on the carb without ripping the bike apart. For some crazy reason they put the air screw on the right side of the carb behind the shock. Nihilo makes an extended air screw kit to help with this but otherwise you basically have to remove the top shock bolt to adjust the air screw. Dumb. You also cannot rotate the carb and remove the bowl plug to swap pilot/main jets. You have to remove the subframe and remove the carb from the bike. Dumb. None of this may be an issue if your riding elevation and temps are more stable. The YZ65 carb appears that it would be much more user friendly to adjust.

On the plus side, the KTM weighs about 10 lbs less than the YZ. It also has really good reliability if you maintain air filter and use good 2-stroke oil. My buddy routinely gets over 50 hrs on a top end and over 150 on a bottom end no problem.

If it was me, I'd get the YZ for the suspension, reliability, and ease of tuning unless my kid was a future Pro and absolutely had to have 10 lbs less.
Yes the KTM has some funky little challenges. Spark plug change without the tool😂 Also parts cost more than Jap bikes. But overall the Austrian bike is more competitive.
We just moved from 65SX to YZ85 so we will see how things go there.

Post a reply to: 65cc inputs

The Latest