$623.52

mikec265
7/3/2019 8:07am
langhammx wrote:
Loretta’s was a $5000 trip for us, with fuel, entries, hotels, golf cart, pit vehicles, etc Last one was back in ‘07, so that cost has...
Loretta’s was a $5000 trip for us, with fuel, entries, hotels, golf cart, pit vehicles, etc

Last one was back in ‘07, so that cost has probably increased a good 20% by now !

It is what it is, I would do it all over again !
I now understand why Loretta has had this event on her property... Holy shit am I in the wrong business!
Titan1
7/3/2019 8:08am
Jack_Wagon wrote:
The cost to enter 2 classes at Loretta Lynn's. No extra car passes or pit vehicles.
For some perspective...I pay just under that EVERY MONTH to my 12 year old daughters ballet company. 😳

Ever looked into what club soccer or basketball costs? How about a traveling baseball team? Well over a grand just to register...then all the travel, camps, etc.

LL’s is the premier amateur race in the nation...it’s for the best of the best...that seems pretty reasonable.

It’s not cheap to do anything at a top level.

If I couldn’t afford $575/month for ballet, I’d put my daughter in a weekly combo class at much lower quality studio and pay $70/month. Is hate someone to look at what I spend and have that prevent them from putting their daughter in ballet...because for 99% for dancers that $70/month studio is all they will ever need and would be perfect for them. For 99% of riders...the cost of LL’s shouldnt scare them.
zippytech
7/3/2019 8:37am
That's why I and some other guys that use to race never went. The cost of going + plus the multiple days off work. just to say I raced there was never worth it to us.

7/3/2019 11:52am Edited Date/Time 7/3/2019 12:47pm
I respect your love for moto, and I share it. However, those guys in the woods haul ass. When I lived in Jacksonville I belonged to...
I respect your love for moto, and I share it. However, those guys in the woods haul ass. When I lived in Jacksonville I belonged to a club called River City Dirt Riders. I joined because at that time RCDR had 900 acres not far from my house that we could ride on. Unless you own a big chunk of property in or around Jacksonville, you are not going to ride anywhere but in your yard. Everything is gated or posted and belongs to either a hunt club or a paper company. WW track was still a gleam in Junior's eye when I belonged to RCDR's - in other words there were no tracks in Duval County, which is gigantic. So even though there is a lot of open space in Duval County, as I said, it's either gated and locked, posted with "KEEP OUT JOE'S HUNT CLUB TRESPASSERS WILL BE SHOT SURVIVORS WILL BE SHOT AGAIN."

I very quickly learned riding with those guys that they are no joke. They are talented and riding between two trees with barely enough clearance on either side while hauling ass doesn't phase them. Stumps and tree roots do not bother them. If it hasn't rained it gets crazy dusty - doesn't matter - they plow through it. If it rains you get a sea of mud. No worries. They'll either find a way around or go through it.

One other thing I noticed when I was riding in the woods was just the joy that comes with riding. I could go for miles and not see anyone. It was just me enjoying a dirt bike like when I was a kid. No pressure, no kid trying to use me for a berm. So I'm not saying you should go out and try a HS, but you should just go ride those trails you were talking about and just enjoy it. If you do ride a HS - prepare to have your ass kicked and to be 7 pounds lighter at the end.
scrallex wrote:
Truth right here. Some of the raddest dudes you will ever meet rip woods. Shit, most of the fast dudes in it are ex-moto guys who...
Truth right here. Some of the raddest dudes you will ever meet rip woods. Shit, most of the fast dudes in it are ex-moto guys who were extremely talented and never had all the ingredients ($$) to take it anywhere. Those who dog on XC have never done it because, unless you're a top pro in your region, you would get worked by your local hero in the woods. Dudes are animals in their own right and they are more die-hard motorcycle enthusiasts than 99% of people here!

Been riding mx since 3, racing mx since 4, and racing xc since 10. Made it to LL in C class and 2 stroke in 2013. Hung up the boots for college after. Getting back into now as a fresh college grad with a nice degree and a good paying job and even today I don't see the reason to hit the mx track and pay $20-60 for 20-45 min of riding when I could do a local offroad race, enter pro class at $50 and get 2 hours of seat time with a chance to win $300 on the day. I won 250 pro at our second state series race in May and only made $80. Didn't even cover my entry and gate fee!
My first few times out I was pretty amazed riding with some experienced guys. Of course I smashed my right hand on a tree trying to follow them. What's really amazing is going off a known trail with them and making a new trail. You've no idea what's ahead. Does that slow them? Oh hell no. I'll take an MX track any day over the Florida/Georgia woods.

I've also figured out why there were so few Civil War battles in south Georgia and north Florida. Can you imagine being in those heavy ass wool uniforms marching around with a rifle that weighs no less than ten pounds, plus your gear, plus if you were fighting for the south you had to forage half the time for your food. In these woods? There's vines that will hang you (happened to me once riding in the woods!) There's funky looking spider webs hanging in the trees at about face height, blackberry bushes with their nasty thorns every dang where, strange insects no one has named, giant mosquitos and the relentless heat and humidity. Nah, the Yanks and the Rebs me thinks said, "Let's fight a bit further north." Smile

The Shop

mx510
Fantasy
1707th
7/3/2019 12:06pm
Titan1 wrote:
For some perspective...I pay just under that EVERY MONTH to my 12 year old daughters ballet company. 😳 Ever looked into what club soccer or basketball...
For some perspective...I pay just under that EVERY MONTH to my 12 year old daughters ballet company. 😳

Ever looked into what club soccer or basketball costs? How about a traveling baseball team? Well over a grand just to register...then all the travel, camps, etc.

LL’s is the premier amateur race in the nation...it’s for the best of the best...that seems pretty reasonable.

If I couldn’t afford $575/month for ballet, I’d put my daughter in a weekly combo class at much lower quality studio and pay $70/month. Is hate someone to look at what I spend and have that prevent them from putting their daughter in ballet...because for 99% for dancers that $70/month studio is all they will ever need and would be perfect for them. For 99% of riders...the cost of LL’s shouldnt scare them.
I completely get what you are saying, but $630 for two entries into a race not including travel, hotel, gate fees etc seems still out of whack for what you are getting. You are essentially paying $100 per moto.
7/3/2019 12:21pm
Loretta Lynn's antiquated most of the other amateur nationals, and rightfully so. I just think they have become complacent, stale and commercialized with their product. I know that family has a true passion for the sport, but someone needs to step up, create a more affordable, quality product and give them the competition they need to improve on Lorettas.

Or maybe just Glen Helen will have free practice that week Tongue
Brent
7/3/2019 12:25pm
Jack_Wagon wrote:
The cost to enter 2 classes at Loretta Lynn's. No extra car passes or pit vehicles.
...summer vacations in New England ain't cheap, Bro. Tongue

MX is still less expensive than every other motorsport.
DC
7/3/2019 12:25pm
Jack_Wagon wrote:
It's $110 per class to enter (and everyone is limited to two classes), and $375 to camp all week long at Loretta Lynn Ranch. There is no spectator admission, so that $375 fee includes your whole family or however many people you want to fit into your vehicle for the entire week. It pens out to about $100 a day, including Sunday load-in and practice on Monday, and then three full motos per class. A lot comes with it with the price: five days of racing, camping, spectator admission, the nighttime activities and industry events, and just a whole week of dawn-to-midnight with the motocross fraternity.

Here is some perspective I just encountered: Yesterday I went to Hershey Park, an amusement park in central Pennsylvania, for a single day. Two kids, two adults, but since the kids are over 9 it was full-pop, which is $68.95 per ticket, $275.80 before taxes. It also cost $25 to park a car. So that's a little more $300 for one day at an amusement park, and that doesn't count food, which you are not allowed to bring into the park in your own coolers or bags. It was hot all day, and it ended up being another $95 in food and drinks. The park closed at 10 p.m. so we stayed in a hotel.

Loretta Lynn's is not an ordinary event, but I think it's a fair price for all that comes with it, given that it's a weeklong motocross event with all of the best riders in the country. I appreciate that you are coming this year and I hope you and your family have a great time there at the ranch, and good luck in your motos.

DC
Racer X
DC
7/3/2019 12:27pm
Titan1 wrote:
For some perspective...I pay just under that EVERY MONTH to my 12 year old daughters ballet company. 😳 Ever looked into what club soccer or basketball...

mx510 wrote:
I completely get what you are saying, but $630 for two entries into a race not including travel, hotel, gate fees etc seems still out of...
I completely get what you are saying, but $630 for two entries into a race not including travel, hotel, gate fees etc seems still out of whack for what you are getting. You are essentially paying $100 per moto.
See above.

DC
Racer X
reynardfan1
Fantasy
3676th
7/3/2019 12:28pm
This is why we can’t compete on a global scale, the most talented kids might not ever be seen because their parents don’t make 6 figures...

So it’s a rich mans sport and white trash fans at southwick...I’m so confused
mxb2
7/3/2019 12:30pm
Cut down on food, beer costs. Use the $$ for entry.
Bramlett321
7/3/2019 12:32pm
Brad460 wrote:
Laughing It’s actually booming more than “they” are telling you..

Your delusional....or full of shit. You choose.
Fool of delusion !!??
Bramlett321
7/3/2019 1:03pm
DC wrote:
See above.

DC
Racer X
DC you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him stopping bitching about everything just to bitch and get the Vital thumbs up.
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
7/3/2019 1:08pm
mxb2 wrote:
Cut down on beer costs, he says... Now you've gone too far!
mxb2
7/3/2019 1:28pm
mxb2 wrote:
disbanded wrote:
Cut down on beer costs, he says... Now you've gone too far!
Hahhha, if you can afford beer , you can afford the entry fee.
MudPup545
7/3/2019 1:51pm
Just my 2 cents here but, here goes.....
My family is middle class and calendar year 2018 was our best ever. And this year is on pace to do better.
Real estate is slow? My sister is an agent and she is absolutely killing it right now.
Could it all tank and change tomorrow? Yep, absolutely. But, that is the nature of the beast. Always has been, always will be. Right here, right now though we are doing better than ever.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1398th
7/3/2019 1:58pm Edited Date/Time 7/3/2019 1:59pm
scrallex wrote:
Imagine the Stewart's trying to make a name for themselves in today's economy on what they claimed to have had.. The days of a talented young...
Imagine the Stewart's trying to make a name for themselves in today's economy on what they claimed to have had..

The days of a talented young man from a dirt poor family making it big in moto are over. Welcome to the age of the fastest kids of business owners the country over!
A talent like James Stewart today would be making a lot more money thanks to YouTube and social media influence.
chump6784
7/3/2019 2:32pm
I don't think 600 odd dollars is too bad considering that's race fees for 2 classes and camping for the whole family for a week. Add fuel to get there, race fuel and parts and that's the only real extra expense. I know people claim food and stuff when working out what a week away costs but you gotta eat at home too.

I also don't agree that someone like Stewart wouldn't have made it. LL's is the pinnacle of the amature scene. Unless you have a good shot at doing really well what is the point of going unless it's just for the experience? If you are going for the experience and have the dollars than that's fine but chances are if you have a shot at doing really well you are getting some help on bikes/parts/gear etc.
MBR
7/3/2019 2:36pm
Titan1 wrote:
Is it impossible to do LL's without golf carts and pit vehicles? (I've never been there...so it's an honest question.) Do you rent them at the...
Is it impossible to do LL's without golf carts and pit vehicles? (I've never been there...so it's an honest question.) Do you rent them at the ranch? Or bring them with you?
We did LL last year without pit vehicles or even bicyles. Not too bad and you can get rides from someone that has.
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
7/3/2019 2:38pm
You should see how much a gallon of vape juice goes for
philG
7/3/2019 2:44pm
DC wrote:
It's $110 per class to enter (and everyone is limited to two classes), and $375 to camp all week long at Loretta Lynn Ranch. There is...
It's $110 per class to enter (and everyone is limited to two classes), and $375 to camp all week long at Loretta Lynn Ranch. There is no spectator admission, so that $375 fee includes your whole family or however many people you want to fit into your vehicle for the entire week. It pens out to about $100 a day, including Sunday load-in and practice on Monday, and then three full motos per class. A lot comes with it with the price: five days of racing, camping, spectator admission, the nighttime activities and industry events, and just a whole week of dawn-to-midnight with the motocross fraternity.

Here is some perspective I just encountered: Yesterday I went to Hershey Park, an amusement park in central Pennsylvania, for a single day. Two kids, two adults, but since the kids are over 9 it was full-pop, which is $68.95 per ticket, $275.80 before taxes. It also cost $25 to park a car. So that's a little more $300 for one day at an amusement park, and that doesn't count food, which you are not allowed to bring into the park in your own coolers or bags. It was hot all day, and it ended up being another $95 in food and drinks. The park closed at 10 p.m. so we stayed in a hotel.

Loretta Lynn's is not an ordinary event, but I think it's a fair price for all that comes with it, given that it's a weeklong motocross event with all of the best riders in the country. I appreciate that you are coming this year and I hope you and your family have a great time there at the ranch, and good luck in your motos.

DC
Racer X
From where i am sitting, knowing what we used to pay here in the UK to run a meeting , with all the infrastructure that needs to be put in place, that doesnt sound unreasonable at all.

$100 a class, and a week camping for as many as you can bring for $375, what are you expecting?
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
7/3/2019 3:39pm
Jack_Wagon wrote:
After reading DC explanation- I think an apology is in order by you for your misleading post.

Jack_Wagon
7/3/2019 4:15pm
Jack_Wagon wrote:
Brad460 wrote:
After reading DC explanation- I think an apology is in order by you for your misleading post.

What was misleading about it? I stated a fact, and that's all that was said. With all due respect to DC, compairing a day at a nice amusement park to a day at LL's is what's misleading.
I would much rather spend thousands racing some Canadian nationals or AMA nationals, but I let my son make the decisions and he loves going to LL's so we agreed to go one more time. Some people love it. I just happened to be one of those that doesn't. To each their own.
Titan1
7/3/2019 4:18pm
Jack_Wagon wrote:
Brad460 wrote:

Jack_Wagon wrote:
What was misleading about it? I stated a fact, and that's all that was said. With all due respect to DC, compairing a day at a...
What was misleading about it? I stated a fact, and that's all that was said. With all due respect to DC, compairing a day at a nice amusement park to a day at LL's is what's misleading.
I would much rather spend thousands racing some Canadian nationals or AMA nationals, but I let my son make the decisions and he loves going to LL's so we agreed to go one more time. Some people love it. I just happened to be one of those that doesn't. To each their own.
So since you obviously don't have a problem spending "thousands" to go racing...this thread is about you taking a dig at an event you don't like rather than the money?
TeamGreen
7/3/2019 4:39pm
Brad460 wrote:

Jack_Wagon wrote:
What was misleading about it? I stated a fact, and that's all that was said. With all due respect to DC, compairing a day at a...
Titan1 wrote:
So since you obviously don't have a problem spending "thousands" to go racing...this thread is about you taking a dig at an event you don't like...
So since you obviously don't have a problem spending "thousands" to go racing...this thread is about you taking a dig at an event you don't like rather than the money?
Boom!
Jack_Wagon
7/3/2019 4:48pm
Brad460 wrote:

Jack_Wagon wrote:
Titan1 wrote:
So since you obviously don't have a problem spending "thousands" to go racing...this thread is about you taking a dig at an event you don't like...
I merely stated what it cost. I didn't say "What a RIP off". Or " what a bargain". It is what it is. It's not up for negotiation. I thought it would be interesting to see the reactions - positive and negative.
DC
7/3/2019 4:55pm Edited Date/Time 7/3/2019 5:10pm
Jack_Wagon wrote:
Brad460 wrote:

Jack_Wagon wrote:
That's fine Jack, but it's misleading to say you paid $632 for two classes. You also got a week's worth of parking, camping, admission, etc. We try the best we can to make Loretta Lynn's a great experience for all of the people who come, and we think it's a bargain to be there that week, but yes, that leaves out the related costs of just getting there in your bikes, gas, racing expenses, travel, etc.

And on that to each their own concept, I saw in another thread about the costs of riding facilities that you pay $50K a year just to have your son live and train at a place down south. That's $1,000 per week. I would rather spend $632 to spend a week at Loretta Lynn's racing than $1K a week anywhere else because I'm sure I would learn much, much more about what I need to do as a racer at the ranch than I would anywhere else. Granted, it's just one week, but I am one of those people who loved it as a racer, and now as one of the organizers.

I hope you and your son enjoy your last time there and have a great week of racing, then hopefully we will see you soon at some of these outdoor nationals.

DC
Racer X

CivBars
7/3/2019 6:08pm
$623.52 will get me 15 1/2 practice days!
LungButter
7/3/2019 7:02pm
Jack_Wagon wrote:
It was misleading because you didn't say it included camping, you presented your original post like that was just entry fees to race.

Are you an axe grinder by trade?
7/3/2019 7:09pm
CivBars wrote:
$623.52 will get me 15 1/2 practice days!
I get it but.... LL would be an amazing thing to experience once. Not only can you ride but you get to watch some of the best talent.

Post a reply to: $623.52

The Latest