5'0" & MX - Advice plz...from DrMarkR & D. Jonan

donman
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 5:32pm
Wow, where to start. I'll ask YOU the reader, if you were 5 foot even & grown adult, how do you think you would cope with riding MX. Think of when you go to the starting line and want to get the holeshot, trying to load or unload your bike, or simply trying to start your bike. My bike comes up to approx. where my ribs come together, or lower sternum... Can you imagine if you (5'8"-5'10" ??) if YOUR bike came up to you sternum... and the weight ratio?!?

OK, here is where I am going to get into the heart of the matter. I saw a commercial for an Oprah special (never watch her show) that featured LEG LENGTHENING Thursday. So I recorded and watched it. Doctor's in China and Russia are performing procedures where they saw your bone in two, place rods inside, and adjusters on the outside. You can make a 1/2 inch turn each day. They are gaining anywhere from 1-6" in total. The recovery time is anywhere from 6 months to a year. I'm guessing it depends on how much length you are trying to attain. The cost is anywhere from $10,000 to 40,000. I think I may be willing to pay this price to be 5'5" or 5'6".

So after seeing this I was curious if you would have this done? I wanted to ask Dr. Mark R as he may have heard of this. Also, wanted to bring attention to Dennis Jonan, as I know he has one leg shorter than the other, and was curious if he would consider this operation?

Yes, in case you are wondering, I did modify my bike. Cut almost all of the seat foam off (looks like a trials or freestyle bike), had the front and rear suspension cut and shimmed professionally, cut the sub-frame, and lowered the forks as much as I could in the triple clamps. I still cannot even touch both tip-toes down at the same time. Also, with all the modifications, it is hard to ride with a traditional style. When I go into corners, I can't get up on the gas cap because the slope of the cut seat. The frame is also more prone to bottoming since the suspension was lowered. Lastly - NO, I will not ride a modified KX, CR or other 'Super-Mini' 100cc.

I am nearly 40, so being short is nothing new. But this operation is and gives people like me an option to consider. Also, in a side note, I went to a local Halloween party this past year, and made some custom 10" platforms and disguised them under a wizard robe; HOLY CRAP was that one of the best feelings ever. Being able to look my friends in the eyes, and not have strangers look down on me... that goes literally AND figuratively! I don't get a lot of respect from business people my age when first introduced.

So, if you read this far, I'm guessing you have given it thought as how bad it would suck to be five foot. Let's hear your opinion. Sincerely, thank you!

Here's a video I found on youtube. I coulodn't find the direct video they had on Oprah.

|
ImTheDude
3/5/2010 4:03am
Chill out, don't get the surgery.
Accept yourself.
crf250pilot
3/5/2010 4:13am Edited Date/Time 3/5/2010 4:13am
Sounds like you should've been a jockey. Maybe trade in your dirtbike for a pony.
3/5/2010 4:30am
I have had several broken legs and knee surgery.IMHO never get cut unless absolutely necessary. You can change your bikes ride heights or even build a racer cheaper than that and doesn't hurt like what your talking about
davis224
Fantasy
138th
3/5/2010 5:35am
not to mention your body not being in proportion, adding that height to just legs? your torso/arms would look strange then

The Shop

Larry
3/5/2010 5:49am
Buy a CRF 150 and spend the left over $35,000. on hookers and blow.
Rasta88
3/5/2010 6:01am
Its Jonon and I thought he got a hip replacement and fixed his leg?

Either way, that surgery does not look fun. Who cares about your height bro, run it.
Rudeboy119
3/5/2010 6:05am
id keep it real, stay true to myself and become a pitbike legend. I have more fun on my pitbike then i do on my race bikes.
Crush
3/5/2010 6:08am
I'm not sure... But in terms of riding a bike i'd prolly take that over being 6'7"!!!

I look like i'm riding supermini against 450s!!!!
neysbo
3/5/2010 6:14am
Larry wrote:
That is what I was thinking. Get the 150 big wheel. Actually Service Honda can put a 250F motor in the big wheel frame so that would be the way to go.

being 40 you have made it this long so don't risk the surgery. It is not like you are racing pro or anything. You are able to ride and all so why risk it. It says some only gain 1"so to go through all that for an inch would suck.

flarider
3/5/2010 6:15am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:10pm
Jon Bowman, brother of late road racer Jamie Bowman (died in a RR racing for Hooters Racing at Laguna Seca) was involved in a really bad crash in RR at Daytona. He was coming off the banking in turns 1 & 2 and was forced out and up against the wall on the back stretch at about 140mph. Wall grabbed his leg, yanked it up and behind him and pulled him off the bike....just vawoop! Off the bike.
Shattered his leg, ankle, knee, all off it, was lucky to keep his leg
After it was "healed" (if you want to call it that) and some ankle fusing and other crap, the leg was still shorter than the other.
So he did what you're talking about.
Seemed to take forever
He was in the external fixator for what seemed like a year, then he had rehab.
When it was done and he started racing again (yes, he started racing again) I asked him if it was worth it, he said "yes" but it hurt like a mother fucker all the time. Now, his situation was different as he was doing only one leg to make things even.
But he said it was a constant pain or discomfort, always, because you're constantly pulling and stretching at muscle and shit, and the days following an adjustment really hurt.

IMO, five foot isn't that short. You're not a dwarf. You can live a good life of riding, racing and happiness as you are

Oh, and longer legs are more leverage to trashing your knee
Just something to think about
huck
3/5/2010 6:24am
I wonder if this type of operation works on other parts of the body?
SteveS
3/5/2010 6:25am
Dennis Jonon did have one leg shorter but it was from a broken bone (hip) that didn't heal right. About a year or so ago he had the hip fixed--maybe replaced?--and last time I saw him ride it looked like it did well for him. But he didn't have leg lengthening done.
Rasta88
3/5/2010 6:26am
LOL....was thinking the same.
Chili
3/5/2010 6:30am
Surgery sounds very extreme to me so my recommendation is one you said you won't accept. I'd be riding either a Service Honda Junior R with the 250F powerplant wedged into the 150 frame, or we have a local rider here who has a YZ125 engine big bored to a 167 and that is put into a CR85 Expert frame, the power to weight ratio is pretty impressive and he kicks ass in the vet classes on it.
raddad
3/5/2010 6:30am
Larry wrote:
neysbo wrote:
That is what I was thinking. Get the 150 big wheel. Actually Service Honda can put a 250F motor in the big wheel frame so that...
That is what I was thinking. Get the 150 big wheel. Actually Service Honda can put a 250F motor in the big wheel frame so that would be the way to go.

being 40 you have made it this long so don't risk the surgery. It is not like you are racing pro or anything. You are able to ride and all so why risk it. It says some only gain 1"so to go through all that for an inch would suck.

NO SHIT! It would be mentally devastating if you gained little to nothing and had complications. I always wondered why kids like Minnesota's Alex Martin, don't add a bit thicker sole to their boots and then modify the pegs/frame etc. He is not much taller than you are and cannot touch the ground either but once he gets going he's damn fast!

At your age its not worth the risk at all IMHO. I would stick with the thicker soles on shoes/boots and ride a modded out 150 big wheel in the vet class. If you are a decent rider you can win on a bike like that against others in your age/skill group.
3/5/2010 6:32am
Larry wrote:
You should be a financial adviser!
Sparkalounger
3/5/2010 6:37am
i think it is had to ask tall people that question... I am 6' 2", I can only try to imagine what it is like for you.

The only thing that jumps out at me is that you will probably only get what, 4" at best, that's a long way from the 10" experiment you did.
mjskier
3/5/2010 7:08am
You can make a 1/2 inch turn each day.
That part doesn't sound right to me. Bone doesn't grow that fast.

If you are serious about this you should google "bone lenghening". There are a lot of horror stories. Not surprising since you are talking about inserting pins above and below the break. Just as one point of reference, one of my coworker fell off his roof (taking the Christmas lights out) broke his leg, and had pins inserted to stabilize the leg. He got an infection in the bone and eventually lost the leg.
les962
3/5/2010 7:36am
I know you said it aint happenen on a mini... why not. Did you race one before. There was a guy that raced in Colo. (pretty sure) a looong time ago and had a cut down big bike and would race that most of the time but when he hopped on a mini he would rail . He was 5'2 ish. As far as the surgery if it was me I wouldn't do it . Use what you got. I would pimp out a ktm 85 or crf150 and have a blast.
rallendude
3/5/2010 7:52am
I don't think I could or would do the surgery. My biggest concern would be what happens to your new 'longer' legs when you bail? Are they going to hold up?

I agree, I wouldn't want to be "that guy who races a mini" but...... have you seen the Jr. R that Service Honda makes? It's a CRF150r frame with a 250f engine in it. One step further, what about an aluminum BBR frame for that? Man, with some skill, you could wax most any age group racers with that. And $40,000 would probably build two of them.

Of course, I'm mostly of the opinion that God created us the way He wants us. Jacking around with that to any major extent may not be what He has in mind for us.
Wandell
3/5/2010 7:57am
Chili wrote:
Surgery sounds very extreme to me so my recommendation is one you said you won't accept. I'd be riding either a Service Honda Junior R with...
Surgery sounds very extreme to me so my recommendation is one you said you won't accept. I'd be riding either a Service Honda Junior R with the 250F powerplant wedged into the 150 frame, or we have a local rider here who has a YZ125 engine big bored to a 167 and that is put into a CR85 Expert frame, the power to weight ratio is pretty impressive and he kicks ass in the vet classes on it.
I agree.
3/5/2010 8:04am
Chili wrote:
Surgery sounds very extreme to me so my recommendation is one you said you won't accept. I'd be riding either a Service Honda Junior R with...
Wandell wrote:
I agree.
x2
Torco1
3/5/2010 8:22am
Thats a pretty major surgery and they probably dont do it unless you absolutely need it.
As for Dennis, I had the exact same injury as him and its caused by the blood flow to the ball at the top of your femur to die which causes the ball to slowly die off and get smaller and smaller. Your leg isnt technically getting shorter, its just that the ball is dying off causing your leg to move up higher in your hip socket. When they do a hip replacement it pushes your leg back down where it sould be and makes the length normal again......totally different than making your bones longer.
mxr102
3/5/2010 8:35am
Rasta88 wrote:
Its Jonon and I thought he got a hip replacement and fixed his leg? Either way, that surgery does not look fun. Who cares about your...
Its Jonon and I thought he got a hip replacement and fixed his leg?

Either way, that surgery does not look fun. Who cares about your height bro, run it.
The only reason Dennis had a shorter let was because his hip was fused together from the bad crash at Ponca City. AKA track worker crossed the track on a quad and Dennis landed on him. I think it was 2 years ago Dennis had his whole hip replaced, and new ball put on his femur if I remember right from talking to him. He is back to normal from what I understand, and doesn't have the built up boot anymore. Dennis is so mentally strong, and I admire him after all the crap that he has gone through in life.
3/5/2010 8:46am
No way would I do that. At 40 or any other age... far too much risk for very little possible reward. Beyond the potential complications, your body would not be in proportion, and I suspect this would eventually lead to more problems.

At 6'2" with long legs, riding a bike for me is nearly as awkward as what you have to deal with. When they say grip the bike with your knees... yeah well, it's more like my calves... feel like a goon sometimes (look like one ALL the time). We all have our self image issues, but we all learn to work around them.

Think about this, say I decide I'm too tall to ride, would you think it would be a good idea for me to have surgery to shorten my leg bones so I don't feel awkward on the bike and be able to actually grip the bike with my knees? You know, open 'em up, cut out 3 or 4 inches and pin the bone back together and wait for it to heal... just so I can feel a little less goonish on the bike, maybe not hit my head as often, fit in vehicles better, fit in chairs without my legs folded in half, and all the other fun things that come with being tall? Seems to me that my doing that makes as little sense as it would to try to stretch your bones to make you taller.

Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
3/5/2010 9:09am
I'm only 5'6" on a good day, and yes I know that that's 6 inches taller. None of my bikes have every been lowered, I've never cut down a seat, and can almost touch flat footed if my butt's on a regular wheel 85. When stopped on a full-sized bike, one leg stays slung over the bike and barely touches the peg.

I'd have to agree with the general idea of a custom made bike. Use a supermini chassis with a 125/200cc engine. I'd bet the power to weight ratio of you on a KTM105 powered by a healthy KTM200 motor would be about the same as most guys on a CR500.

One of the guys I rode with years ago was your height, and he was on a CR85 expert. The guy flat hauled butt, had tremendous respect from his friends, and had great fun goading his friends when he'd smoke them on their 250's.

I briefly considered the surgery you mentioned (and it's nowhere near 1/2" a day), but for all the reasons outlined above, decided against it. To be honest, if I were 6" shorter, there's no doubt I'd have considered the surgery a whole lot longer than I did. Not for the dirtbikes, but from a societal standpoint.
bogdan912
3/5/2010 9:36am
I can understand where you are coming from, but dude that sounds like hell. I don't see how it could be worth it. Especially for the demand MX puts on your legs that sounds like it has the possibility to ruin riding completely for you.
donman
3/5/2010 9:41am
Thanks for all the replies! I did mess up with saying 1/2 " turn each day; what I should have said was 1/2 turn of a threaded nut. That should equal, according to the show I watched, not quite 1 mm per day.

I like the suggestions with the Service Honda Junior R. I did not know they customized the little bikes. I thought their gig was the AF500; but with the help of you I am now enlightened!

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions, and would like to address a few...

I have accepted myself, it's just the social thing would be tremendously easier. I guess that doesn't matter so much any more anyway, as I am married and have very good friends. But when meeting new people, say for a job interview, I DO get judged in a completely different way than anyone of average (or somewhat short) would. Thank you for expressing concern for the long-term; I pretty much did not think of the stretching of the ligaments part. I was cool with the recovery time and all of that... just really wasn't looking down the road. Also I appreciate Matt Fisher comment... "To be honest, if I were 6" shorter, there's no doubt I'd have considered the surgery a whole lot longer than I did. Not for the dirtbikes, but from a societal standpoint." I believe you actually feel what it's like to be short. Although I would give BOTH nuts to be 5'6", seriously!

Thanks everyone for your perspective.
donman
3/5/2010 9:57am
So, yeah, that's a nice looking bike. I do wish it was a bit more modern looking with an aluminum frame.

Speaking of the frame, is it strong enough to hold the bigger engine with a rider and not crack; or is that a feature that Service Honda customizes to make stronger? Also, does anyone have any experience with this Junior bike, or with AJ; do they let you try these out in a real environment, i.e, moto?

Post a reply to: 5'0" & MX - Advice plz...from DrMarkR & D. Jonan

The Latest