|
FWYT
6/21/2022 10:27pm
I wamt to ride that someday!!
Utrider
Fantasy
1521st
6/21/2022 10:36pm
Thanks for sharing this Lenny. 19 years ago for me, 3 month old 2003 KTM 200 E/XC and was a lot closer to the 3 hour time. It looks like it's smoothed out a lot over the years. Still a helluva challenge if you're into that sort of thing.
johnk408
6/22/2022 5:26am
The guys over at Rocky Mountain did a cool series where they bought like $1500 bikes and did that.

The Shop

Magoofan
Shadow Glen (for those who remember), CA US
6/22/2022 8:48am
I'm sore and tired just watching that.
Jeff_Brines
6/22/2022 8:51am
With modern 2 stroke bikes & sticky tires its really not a super hard trail (like it was). My best time is about the same as what this guy did it in. Impressive on the low displacement non e-start bike!
peelout
6/22/2022 9:14am Edited Date/Time 6/22/2022 1:15pm
have done this multiple times but never at a fast pace. takes a great rider to get through the obstacles that easily and fast. video does this ride absolutely no justice. some of the worst obstacles you come around a sandy corner and no real build-up to get momentum. i will say i've done it on a 125, 300, and 450 and the 125 was the bike to be on. the 450 was A LOT of bike.

i prefer the trails around it, all the color trails. i personally don't enjoy the 5 miles at all, but to each his own.

edit... looks like someone went through and built up some rocks at the bottom of some of the obstacles, namely the Crux. when i went last the first rock was about 3-4 feet up out of a hole in the sand. still incredible riding shown here not debating that at all.

JMCR250
6/22/2022 9:33am
Rode something similar in AZ on rented Husky 300s. Watching this video gave me PTSD flashbacks.

These are very good riders. I'm impressed on how well the YZ125X did. Clearly a very capable bike for this type of riding.
Giraffe579
6/22/2022 12:01pm
peelout wrote:
have done this multiple times but never at a fast pace. takes a great rider to get through the obstacles that easily and fast. video does...
have done this multiple times but never at a fast pace. takes a great rider to get through the obstacles that easily and fast. video does this ride absolutely no justice. some of the worst obstacles you come around a sandy corner and no real build-up to get momentum. i will say i've done it on a 125, 300, and 450 and the 125 was the bike to be on. the 450 was A LOT of bike.

i prefer the trails around it, all the color trails. i personally don't enjoy the 5 miles at all, but to each his own.

edit... looks like someone went through and built up some rocks at the bottom of some of the obstacles, namely the Crux. when i went last the first rock was about 3-4 feet up out of a hole in the sand. still incredible riding shown here not debating that at all.

I want to take my EXC out there to the trailhead and just walk up it a ways for a look, but I can never figure out where to stage my truck. Do you stage off of I70 or 24? I go to Moab once or twice a year.
toomanykaws
6/22/2022 12:18pm
One of my Kx500 friends did that on his 450x. He probably one the best overall riders I know personally. He says there was lot broken down bikes and overheating out here.
peelout
6/22/2022 1:06pm
peelout wrote:
have done this multiple times but never at a fast pace. takes a great rider to get through the obstacles that easily and fast. video does...

Giraffe579 wrote:
I want to take my EXC out there to the trailhead and just walk up it a ways for a look, but I can never figure...
I want to take my EXC out there to the trailhead and just walk up it a ways for a look, but I can never figure out where to stage my truck. Do you stage off of I70 or 24? I go to Moab once or twice a year.
most direct way to stage for the 5 miles of hell is to use the entrance right of I-70. the 24 staging is good for riding the color trails out to the 5 miles starting point. the color trails are a great warm-up of what you'll see on 5moh and personally i would only do them and Waterfall trail, i'd skip 5moh unless you're a glutton for punishment.
dcg141
6/22/2022 2:09pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2022 2:45pm
I did it several years ago and its all its cracked up to be. Modern gummy tires would make it somewhat easier but it would still be a challenge. I was actually helped by the fact that I had no idea about what I was in for before I started. I can remember about halfway thinking, damn this shit is hard. I would only do it with a estart 300 2 stroke now. I did it on a 450 EXC.
Sawfish
6/22/2022 2:34pm
Fuck that, I would be dead in 10 minutes.
JustMX
6/22/2022 4:43pm
would be cool to see somebody like shane watts do this, in probably 20 minutes.

guys like him make stuff like this look so easy.
7I3N
6/22/2022 6:18pm
Did that with a couple of friends about 10 years ago. The experience isn't complete unless you hit Rays after the ride.

langhammx
Fantasy
581st
6/22/2022 6:43pm
FWYT wrote:
Me too. This is right up my alley. Nothing too gnarly, but plenty challenging. Before riding in the Costa Rica jungle and the various places I ride, this would not have interested me at all. But Moab and this trail included are something I’d like to do soon.
6/22/2022 7:03pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2022 7:04pm
7I3N wrote:
Did that with a couple of friends about 10 years ago. The experience isn't complete unless you hit Rays after the ride. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/06/22/556326/s1200_Rays.jpg[/img]
Did that with a couple of friends about 10 years ago. The experience isn't complete unless you hit Rays after the ride.

I've taken the trip out from CA to Moab to ride, but have not attempted 5 MOH yet. Read about it, watched videos, and unsure of how "enjoyable" at my age it would be..... but still have to try it yet.

Perhaps it might be more appropriate to just skip 5 MOH and go straight to Ray's Tavern. Laughing
ShipLap
6/22/2022 9:34pm
Utah rocks!

pun intended . . .
MelonFan123
6/22/2022 10:22pm
FWYT wrote:
langhammx wrote:
Me too. This is right up my alley. Nothing too gnarly, but plenty challenging. Before riding in the Costa Rica jungle and the various places I...
Me too. This is right up my alley. Nothing too gnarly, but plenty challenging. Before riding in the Costa Rica jungle and the various places I ride, this would not have interested me at all. But Moab and this trail included are something I’d like to do soon.
Count me in Shawn!
jbrownmxr
6/23/2022 4:38am
I did it with a group of friends 6-7 years ago. I recall it being more like 7 miles. Buddy of mine had just bought a KTM 350 exc and by the time we got back to staging it was well on the way to being roached. Lots of overheating bikes and wagging tongues. Once was enough for me.
FWYT
6/23/2022 6:29am
FWYT wrote:
langhammx wrote:
Me too. This is right up my alley. Nothing too gnarly, but plenty challenging. Before riding in the Costa Rica jungle and the various places I...
Yeah, I will be turning 60 in a couple years and have not had a moto road trip in well over a decade. Planning to save up to go out there and ride it at that point.
LungButter
6/23/2022 7:49am
Some of that stuff is gnarly for sure!

What's crazy though....I just went and watched the AMA Extreme race in Idaho this weekend and most of the stuff on that 5MOH trail wouldn't even slow the top guys there down! Some of the hills and rockslides they rode through on that mountain are just insane to me. Then to think that Erzberg is even another level more difficult than that!

The balance, fitness, clutch and throttle control that "the best" at extreme enduro have is truly mind boggling to see in person.
johnk408
6/23/2022 8:01am
LungButter wrote:
Some of that stuff is gnarly for sure! What's crazy though....I just went and watched the AMA Extreme race in Idaho this weekend and most of...

What's crazy though....I just went and watched the AMA Extreme race in Idaho this weekend and most of the stuff on that 5MOH trail wouldn't even slow the top guys there down! Some of the hills and rockslides they rode through on that mountain are just insane to me. Then to think that Erzberg is even another level more difficult than that!

The balance, fitness, clutch and throttle control that "the best" at extreme enduro have is truly mind boggling to see in person.
Yeah, think about Kailub Russell just got like 73rd at Erzberg. Not sure if bike issues, but still, see how crazy it is.
Crossup
6/23/2022 1:29pm Edited Date/Time 6/23/2022 1:29pm
LungButter wrote:
Some of that stuff is gnarly for sure! What's crazy though....I just went and watched the AMA Extreme race in Idaho this weekend and most of...

johnk408 wrote:
Yeah, think about Kailub Russell just got like 73rd at Erzberg. Not sure if bike issues, but still, see how crazy it is.
Kailub is great and his GNCC speed is why he qualified first after the prologue. The main race is a whole 'nother world.

What's crazy is that Graham Jarvis started dead last and an hour late, and finished 11th (by the clock) passing 489 riders. Unfortunately he timed out at 4 hours and then he was disqualified for having his mechanic help him get his bike started. I'm a little surprised that Manny Lettenbichler did not have a penalty or disqualification because his father was helping him point out lines in Karl's Diner which is was not allowed this year.
LungButter
6/23/2022 1:34pm
Crossup wrote:
Kailub is great and his GNCC speed is why he qualified first after the prologue. The main race is a whole 'nother world. What's crazy is...
Kailub is great and his GNCC speed is why he qualified first after the prologue. The main race is a whole 'nother world.

What's crazy is that Graham Jarvis started dead last and an hour late, and finished 11th (by the clock) passing 489 riders. Unfortunately he timed out at 4 hours and then he was disqualified for having his mechanic help him get his bike started. I'm a little surprised that Manny Lettenbichler did not have a penalty or disqualification because his father was helping him point out lines in Karl's Diner which is was not allowed this year.
So it is for sure that they weren't supposed to have people pointing out lines? I'm not arguing, trying to confirm.

Crossup
6/23/2022 4:08pm Edited Date/Time 6/23/2022 4:08pm
Crossup wrote:
Kailub is great and his GNCC speed is why he qualified first after the prologue. The main race is a whole 'nother world. What's crazy is...

LungButter wrote:
So it is for sure that they weren't supposed to have people pointing out lines? I'm not arguing, trying to confirm.

They actually talked about it at the beginning of the broadcast and I know Johnny Walker brought it up at least one additional time. This was all before Mani had even entered Karl's Diner. I thought the funny thing was that Manny's father was wearing a media jersey and riding around to each section on his motorcycle.
vetmxr
6/23/2022 8:16pm
I can say that I've made it through that.....got the t shirt and hatLaughing ......but i must say that I enjoy riding my dirt bike way better than walking and carrying it through that gnarly shit......

If your not a pretty good rider...that place aint for you....strength doesn't hurt either....
gerg
6/23/2022 9:53pm Edited Date/Time 6/23/2022 9:54pm
Got nothing more to add than the obvious...Gnarly !!

Cheers for the link BL.

A little less weird than that crazy 2 headed vid from the other week Wink

Post a reply to: 5 miles of hell...

The Latest