5 Moto Mistakes

Spydee
Forgetting to strap your helmet – Jake Canada, Phoenix SX 2013

It was Jake Canada’s unfortunate circumstance to show up at the line for the main event in Phoenix without his mandatory “Hat’s Off” device, an apparatus that riders use to allow their helmet to be easily removed by medics in the event of a crash. Jake’s team scrambled to install it, which they did with literally seconds to spare. In his haste, however, Jake forgot one key move: he did not strap his helmet. The AMA quickly noticed, and he was black-flagged.

Boarding the wrong plane to the race – Jeremy McGrath, Millville 1996

The undisputed King of Supercross has even made his fair share of mistakes; Jeremy was on his way to the Spring Creek National in Millville when he boarded what he though was a flight to Rochester, MN. Instead, his plane landed in, much to his dismay, Rochester, NY. Jeremy still made it to Spring Creek in time for the race, but there was definitely a team manager looking for answers on that one.

Crashing on the parade lap – Jason Anderson & Ryan Sipes, SLC SX 2012

It doesn’t get much more embarrassing than crashing on the parade lap, but that was exactly how the Salt Lake City supercross started out for Jason Anderson and Ryan Sipes. Anderson, in the midst of a practice start, was not aware of Sipes cruising and scoping out the track. The two collided in a heap, and Sipes was visibly feeling the effects of it. Both riders were able to ride, and Anderson actually finished on the podium, his first ever. Maybe there’s something to this crashing business…

https://youtu.be/IMV438lScw0

Mistakenly thinking a rider was a lapper and letting him pass – Dean Wilson, Freestone 2010

Dean Wilson, in his rookie season, was leading the Freestone National in 2010 and looking to take his first professional win ever when his teammate Tyla Rattray came up behind him. Dean was under the impression that he had a huge lead, so naturally he let Tyla go around, assuming he was a lapper and wanting to allow him to salvage as many points as possible. Unfortunately, Tyla was not a lapper, and Dean handed away the win right there. And to salt that open wound, Broc Tickle passed Dean just feet before the finish line, putting him back to 3rd.

Pre-mature celebration to crash – Grant Langston, Houston 2001

Grant Langston was well on his way to his first win ever in the US at round 6 of the 125 West SX series. He was understandably excited, and decided to throw a huge fist pump to the crowd over the triple on the last lap, elated at the thought of finally winning a supercross. On the following jump, unfortunately, Grant dipped the front end and cartwheeled over the bars, effectively ending his early celebration career for good.

What else you guys got?
|
Turbojez
12/8/2017 8:37am Edited Date/Time 12/8/2017 8:39am
Forgetting the air filter and/or filter cage to the track.

Got everything ready for saturday riding on friday evening. Filter all oiled and just soaking overnight, so that you can put it on in the morning and go riding. Then you wake up and go to the track, only to find an empty airbox. Yes, that damn filter and filter cage is still in the garage. An hour drive back home, and another hour to get back to the track...
Hey, at least you didn't ride without it!
DoubleA
12/8/2017 8:41am
Turbojez wrote:
[b]Forgetting the air filter and/or filter cage to the track.[/b] Got everything ready for saturday riding on friday evening. Filter all oiled and just soaking overnight...

Got everything ready for saturday riding on friday evening. Filter all oiled and just soaking overnight, so that you can put it on in the morning and go riding. Then you wake up and go to the track, only to find an empty airbox. Yes, that damn filter and filter cage is still in the garage. An hour drive back home, and another hour to get back to the track...
One of my friends mate did that when they did a 4hour drive to a track near me and forgot his filter cage, so he just duct taped it in and away he went lol.
reded
12/8/2017 9:01am
How do you take the wrong flight Laughing
Not sure what the security and boarding processes were back then but I doubt you could get on the wrong flight today if you tried.

The Shop

dl117
Fantasy
2577th
12/8/2017 9:06am
was going on a riding trip with brother on Saturday morning, loaded up my bike in parts Friday morning headed 2 hours north to his house, had to put in new crank and assemble to leave noext morning another 2 hours north of him.....relized at 11pm when finishing up I forgot my pipe at home on the bench......had to made a run home at 430 am to go get it.
12/8/2017 9:39am
Turbojez wrote:
[b]Forgetting the air filter and/or filter cage to the track.[/b] Got everything ready for saturday riding on friday evening. Filter all oiled and just soaking overnight...

I have seen that happen at the track. A guy was all unloaded then realized, he had to load back up and head up.
dadofagun
Fantasy
1962nd
12/8/2017 10:24am
My Dad drove me 3 hrs to a race only to arrive to locked gates. He misread their schedule, boy he was pissed. Very quiet ride home......
Frodad78
12/8/2017 10:31am
My dad used to make me load up the bikes on the trailer the night before, and put one of our Kyptonite locks on the rear sprocket. We had bikes stolen in the past so now he was super cautious.

Any way we drive an hour and a half to Broome Tioga and the lock is still on the sprocket and we didn't have a key!

Thankfully there were always a ton of vendors at the track back then and we found a rear sprocket. Could have been a bad ride home haha...
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
12/8/2017 10:34am
Forgetting your boots

A buddy of mine got bumped up to the novice class and was so nervous for his first moto that he put on all his gear, including goggles, except for his boots. He was walking out to the starting gate in tennis shoes!

Part 2 - I forgot to bring my daughter's boots to the desert for a riding weekend. I had spent her whole riding career telling her that boots and helmet were mandatory and now I had screwed it up for her. Thankfully a buddy had an extra pair in (close to) her size.
kkawboy14
12/8/2017 10:35am
6) don’t get caught with residue in a coke can walking across a bridge.....

7) don’t sleep with the manager of your teams wife....
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
12/8/2017 10:41am Edited Date/Time 12/8/2017 8:34pm
Good list Spydee!

I have two to add:

1. ALWAYS take a slow sight lap on a track first! Even if you know the track. You never know if something has changed. I had a buddy always do this and had multiple first lap crashes with a concussion, separated shoulder...not smart. In fact I tore an ACL doing this on my very own track, dumb!

2. When you say you are done riding for the day, you are done. NEVER say one more moto or one more lap. I think the moto gods will pull you down if you do this. I saw a guy once say he was done and turned off his gas. Then he said one more moto, forgot to turn the gas on and half way around the track his bike coughed on a double and he broke his femur.
exbmxmx
12/8/2017 10:50am
kkawboy14 wrote:

Dement?
12/8/2017 11:03am Edited Date/Time 12/8/2017 11:15am
Forget what year it was like 2010 11 sx race the privateer on a crf forgot to tighten the seat bolts and tge seat came off in the air over a jump.
NVA57
Fantasy
1602nd
12/8/2017 12:50pm
Forgot the year and rider but it was pretty recent somewhere around 2011 or 2012. There was a rider that mistook the white flag for the chequered flag and thought he won the race when he actually had a lap to go. Does anyone else remember this as well?

potatoflake
12/8/2017 2:10pm
NVA57 wrote:
Forgot the year and rider but it was pretty recent somewhere around 2011 or 2012. There was a rider that mistook the white flag for the...
Forgot the year and rider but it was pretty recent somewhere around 2011 or 2012. There was a rider that mistook the white flag for the chequered flag and thought he won the race when he actually had a lap to go. Does anyone else remember this as well?

K-dub did that at washougal!
MX Guy
Fantasy
668th
12/8/2017 2:17pm
Forgotten gear bag was a definite doozy one day
kkawboy14
12/8/2017 2:22pm
kkawboy14 wrote:

exbmxmx wrote:
Dement?
Definitely more than 1 guy!
12/8/2017 2:24pm Edited Date/Time 12/8/2017 2:25pm
RC had a big lead at Millville on the 125 back in maybe '98. Ricky came up on the massive downhill jump and decided to celebrate with a heel clicker. He never got it back it and went tumbling way, way down the hill. He still got up and won
12/8/2017 2:28pm
Ramrod wrote:
Good list Spydee! I have two to add: 1. ALWAYS take a slow sight lap on a track first! Even if you know the track. You...
Good list Spydee!

I have two to add:

1. ALWAYS take a slow sight lap on a track first! Even if you know the track. You never know if something has changed. I had a buddy always do this and had multiple first lap crashes with a concussion, separated shoulder...not smart. In fact I tore an ACL doing this on my very own track, dumb!

2. When you say you are done riding for the day, you are done. NEVER say one more moto or one more lap. I think the moto gods will pull you down if you do this. I saw a guy once say he was done and turned off his gas. Then he said one more moto, forgot to turn the gas on and half way around the track his bike coughed on a double and he broke his femur.
I can't agree with this more, I got hurt a few weeks ago on the second lap at a track i knew, and I always say two more laps then pull off after one.
Hammer 663s
12/8/2017 2:30pm
I was all loaded up to head to Argyll after work for a few sessions. Got there, got ready - no pants. I had to ride in my work pants, which gave me a monster case of monkey butt. Never again.....

Hammer 663s
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2471st
12/8/2017 2:49pm
Forget what year it was like 2010 11 sx race the privateer on a crf forgot to tighten the seat bolts and tge seat came off...
Forget what year it was like 2010 11 sx race the privateer on a crf forgot to tighten the seat bolts and tge seat came off in the air over a jump.
I have done this to my son once already, he is only 6.

Lucky he stands a lot naturally.
Squitlege
12/8/2017 3:04pm
Ramrod wrote:
Good list Spydee! I have two to add: 1. ALWAYS take a slow sight lap on a track first! Even if you know the track. You...
Good list Spydee!

I have two to add:

Sight lap always... this one mistake on a very familiar track changed my life permanantly. I got luckier than some, but I'm reminded of it every single friggin day.
12/8/2017 3:27pm
I can agree on the site laps back in the fall of 02 I just got a 03 yz250f. Went to washougal first track ride on the bike. The top of horse power hill it was all summer a easy wave section. This time it was a built up whoop section came around the corner in 4th hard on the gas. It wasn't until I was in the air jumping 3 in that I saw it was whoops. I got lucky and rode it out.
tobz
12/8/2017 4:29pm
Great thread.

Didn't kdub think he was on the last lap at a national and relinquish the lead?
Monk
12/8/2017 6:39pm
Left the choke on... Bike didn't run too well the whole moto...
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
12/8/2017 8:37pm
Ramrod wrote:
Good list Spydee!

I have two to add:

Squitlege wrote:
Sight lap always... this one mistake on a very familiar track changed my life permanantly. I got luckier than some, but I'm reminded of it every...
Sight lap always... this one mistake on a very familiar track changed my life permanantly. I got luckier than some, but I'm reminded of it every single friggin day.
May I ask what happened? Sounds knarly.

I was a moron and tore my ACL at my own sand track trying to ride like a hero the first lap showing a buddy the fast way around. It’s fixed pretty good but has affected me ever since.
JM485
12/8/2017 10:49pm
Ramrod wrote:
Good list Spydee!

I have two to add:

A friend of mine thought it would be funny to turn my gas off one time at the track without telling me. Luckily it sputtered out on the small step up right before the big one on an uphill, so I was able to ride it out. . .

Ya, -1/10, would not recommend as a funny joke. . .
BobbyM
12/8/2017 10:50pm
Danny turners mechanic left the rag in the air box and he didn't make the 2nd moto after winning or placing up there in the first moto at hangtown... 74?
captmoto
12/8/2017 10:58pm
Got to the track once without my chain.
Ted722
12/8/2017 11:31pm
JM485 wrote:
A friend of mine thought it would be funny to turn my gas off one time at the track without telling me. Luckily it sputtered out...
A friend of mine thought it would be funny to turn my gas off one time at the track without telling me. Luckily it sputtered out on the small step up right before the big one on an uphill, so I was able to ride it out. . .

Ya, -1/10, would not recommend as a funny joke. . .
Accidentally did this to a friend after finishing a 25-30 minute relatively high speed climb up a fire road. I was on my Dad's 1976 KX400. As soon as we got to the top, I turned the gas off. That was my normal procedure back in the day. We were in the Shasta/Trinity forest land in August ('84) and it was triple digits.

Well, we swapped bikes and I forgot to tell my buddy to turn the gas back on. I got back on my CR250 and my buddy got on the KX and we headed back down. Soon thereafter, he and the bike came to a halt. Tried to restart and it was making some clanking noises. Crank went bye bye! The good news, I put it in neutral and was able to coast it down the hill. Bad news, brought my Dad's bike back broken. He decided not to fix and ended up getting an '83 CR480 that I still have today.

Post a reply to: 5 Moto Mistakes

The Latest