4CS suspension fix

Related:
Create New Tag

12/21/2017 12:51 PM

Paul333 wrote:

Just out of curiosity how many of the guys posting in this thread have actually ridden WP 4CS forks after a revalve? Or ridden ...more

I'm not doubting that several suspension companies can make them work. But for me its the value of it VS just selling my bike and getting an XCW for example. But thats me.

But a friend of mine has an XC and had his forks done by a local tuner and hates them even more.

As someone mentioned above, I came into buying the bike thinking that the negativity was overblown and I could make them work with some oil-height adjustments and clickers. But not the case.

|

12/21/2017 12:55 PM

Paul333 wrote:

Just out of curiosity how many of the guys posting in this thread have actually ridden WP 4CS forks after a revalve? Or ridden ...more

KGAspeed wrote:

I'm not doubting that several suspension companies can make them work. But for me its the value of it VS just selling my bike ...more

The Xplorer fork (according to Kreft) isn't any better than the 4cs...So buying a whole new/different bike doesn't seem like the best solution. Buy a set of Ray or Spheres and live happy

|

12/21/2017 1:14 PM

Paul333 wrote:

KGAspeed wrote:

I'm not doubting that several suspension companies can make them work. But for me its the value of it VS just selling my bike ...more

Monk wrote:

The Xplorer fork (according to Kreft) isn't any better than the 4cs...So buying a whole new/different bike doesn't seem like ...more

No kidding. Well like I said I had research to do yet. Why the hell does WP have such a tough time lately?

For me though, I actually don’t like the bike (350) so there are a couple reasons for me to jump ship.

Thanks for the info. I’ll do some reading.

|

12/21/2017 1:19 PM

KGAspeed wrote:

Monk wrote:

The Xplorer fork (according to Kreft) isn't any better than the 4cs...So buying a whole new/different bike doesn't seem like ...more

KGAspeed wrote:

No kidding. Well like I said I had research to do yet. Why the hell does WP have such a tough time lately?

For me though, I ...more

|

12/21/2017 1:38 PM

Paul333 wrote:

KGAspeed wrote:

Monk wrote:

It feels better...still a trail bike suspension.

|

12/21/2017 5:08 PM

KGAspeed wrote:

No, the Huskie TEs all have the open chamber XPlor forks, not the AER. The KTM XCs have the AER.

agn5009 wrote:

Well shit. I guess it would be the TX300 then. They have the AER. Or a KTM 300XC. I'm wishful thinking here anyways.

KGAspeed wrote:

Well hold on - if you go with the TC or FX, yeah you'll get the AER forks, but they will be valved for moto. Depends on the ...more

No I would get the TX300. It's similar to the TE but it's more of a race version. I guess think XC vs. XCW is the best comparison. The TX comes with the AER forks.

|

12/21/2017 6:20 PM

agn5009 wrote:

No I would get the TX300. It's similar to the TE but it's more of a race version. I guess think XC vs. XCW is the best ...more

Yep you're right. I forgot about the TX lineup. And yes I would say the TX has the same purpose as XC and TE=XCW, kinda.

Whatever it is, I'd love to have a new TX or TE; the new Huskies look so good.

|

12/21/2017 8:14 PM

Riesenberg448 wrote:

If you're in PA you should without a doubt call Jeff at MPR Race Tech. He's done a ridiculous amount of these setups and works ...more

agn5009 wrote:

I'm definitely going to give him a call. Thanks.

FYI their solution is $1550.

|

12/21/2017 8:56 PM

Riesenberg448 wrote:

If you're in PA you should without a doubt call Jeff at MPR Race Tech. He's done a ridiculous amount of these setups and works ...more

agn5009 wrote:

I'm definitely going to give him a call. Thanks.

KGAspeed wrote:

FYI their solution is $1550.

Wow that's a little much for me. Looks like it's going to be this delsaggio Ray product after I do more research.

|

12/21/2017 9:53 PM

I'm just a C Class rider and the 4cs, to me, its alright. Could it be better? Yes. Is it the worst I've ever ridden? By far no. I installed RT Gold Valves in the forks, shock w/ the bladder conversion, and valved it for myself. Mind you I did not do the mid-valve (just little bits at a time) and it made a difference. On choppy stuff, rollers, braking bumps, etc. The only issue I have is the front end doesn't stay planted. My advice is if you like the bike, then spend the money on suspension. Suspension is the first thing every rider should invest in. You can't go fast if you aren't comfortable on your machine..

|

12/21/2017 10:19 PM

I actually just had this installed in my '16 350 sxf. There's very little feedback out there on this kit. I had a local guy put them in for a good deal. I only have 1 ride on them so far, but I was pretty disappointed unfortunately. I'm hoping the setup is just a bit off, but I'm skeptical now. Now I wish I would have just bought some used cone valve or AER forks...

|

12/22/2017 4:43 AM

I’m considering a 2016 150sx but worry about the forks.
Is it that hard to buy some used SSS forks and diy a drop-in-the-internals solution?

|

12/22/2017 6:14 AM

acres951 wrote:

Is it that hard to buy some used SSS forks and diy a ...more

I’ve read of a few cases of people that have done it. But I don’t recall what it involves. I’m sure it’s pricey and a little tricky to pull off. Do some searches and you’ll find info.

|

12/22/2017 6:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/22/2017 6:22 AM

acres951 wrote:

Is it that hard to buy some used SSS forks and diy a ...more

Save yourself the money and headache. Get a 2018 with AER forks and enjoy the ride. I'm telling you, trying to decide what I'm going to do with these forks sucks. I'm almost at a breaking point and considering just selling it. That's how bad they are.

I'm not sure how much the 2016 150 is going to run you, but it sounds like $1500-2000 is gonna have to be put into the forks just to get them "decent." I would put a little more toward a bike with really good forks already on it and be done with it. I would be willing to bet the stock AER forks are better than the 4cs with everything done to them.

|

12/22/2017 7:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/22/2017 7:16 AM

I have a 16 FC 350 and saw a pair of brand new AER forks on ebay. Before I bought them I started a thread on KTMtalk comparing the AER forks to the 4CS with Dal Soggio kit installed. The overall result of that thread was go with the 4CS with the Dal Soggio which I did and am very happy about it. I later bought a 2017 TX 300 with the AER forks. Both are great but if I had to choose would say I like the the Dal Soggio better.

|

12/22/2017 7:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/22/2017 7:47 AM

mrmoto619 wrote:

I have a 16 FC 350 and saw a pair of brand new AER forks on ebay. Before I bought them I started a thread on KTMtalk comparing ...more

No kidding; nteresting. What is your terrain like and what type of riding do you do? off road? Moto?

But wait - which Dal Saggio kit? Ray or Sphere?

|

12/22/2017 8:47 AM

How does the dal saggio kit compare to the mx tech lucky kit?

|

12/22/2017 11:42 AM

I have the dal saggio sphere kit; it was about the same price as the brand new AER forks on ebay. I ride the FC 350 mx only and ride the tx 300 mx on occasion and woods. If you read the thread I told you about on KTMtalk there were some suspension guru's who noted that they have customers who replace their AER forks with the dal saggio kit which I found very interesting and helped sway my decision.

|

12/22/2017 4:43 PM

To those who went through serious mods to get your 4CS forks working better. Did you ever just consider finding an older set of open chamber or closed chamber forks from any KTM pre-2013?

That seems to be a decent idea...

|

12/22/2017 4:44 PM

mrmoto619 wrote:

I have the dal saggio sphere kit; it was about the same price as the brand new AER forks on ebay. I ride the FC 350 mx only ...more

Dang. Sphere kit looks killer but again I’m so blown away at the required cost to get these working well.

|

12/22/2017 5:25 PM

KGAspeed wrote:

To those who went through serious mods to get your 4CS forks working better. Did you ever just consider finding an older set ...more

The older design has larger front axle which will change the offset of the forks by 2mm (away from the bike). To bring is back to stock you would have to get a set of triple clamps... In a perfect world it would be a simple bolt on but that's not the case...

|

12/22/2017 6:08 PM

WP or KTM should really step up and offer an upgrade kit for cheap for those forks in an effort to keep the customer base happy. THIS is exactly what a smart - long term minded - company would do. Don't just "stick" the customer with a POS product... help them out! Give the fella a hand. And they have the means to do it. Unless they have an accountant running the company.

|

12/22/2017 6:58 PM

I have the 325$ Dal Saggio kit or I call Ray kit in my explor fork. After having the forks apart 4 times, got a great setting now. Nice to see how different companies attack the same issue with different approaches. Too bad WP has their head where the sun doesn't shine in reguards to the explor fork and rear shock. The second piston in the rear shock actually floats back and forth on a shaft. The previous PDS had a second piston that working with a needle attached to the shock head. I guess they saved 75 cents with the new way. The new Beta 200 will probably be my next 2 stroke dirt bike.

|

12/22/2017 7:46 PM

"Ready to Race".

|

12/22/2017 8:42 PM

endurox wrote:

I have the 325$ Dal Saggio kit or I call Ray kit in my explor fork. After having the forks apart 4 times, got a great setting ...more

Looks like KTM made a bad move to try to cut some costs with the fork and shock. Bummer.

Beta is going to make a 200?

The KTM 200 is my all-time favorite motorcycle I've ever owned (I've had a couple) and almost bought another one last week (but still looking). The 200 is so under-rated.

|

12/23/2017 3:26 AM

endurox wrote:

I have the 325$ Dal Saggio kit or I call Ray kit in my explor fork. After having the forks apart 4 times, got a great setting ...more

And then you will need to spend a bunch of coin to fix the junk Sachs on the Beta.

|

1/31/2018 3:22 PM

I still have plans to try and make the 4cs forks tolerable (as they're destined for another bike), but in the meantime I've found a very easy solution to my problem. I have a 2014 Husky cr125 (pre KTM bike) that came with KYB SSS forks and Brembo brakes and it just so happens everything bolts right onto the KTM w/ only some .3mm shims for the lower triple clamps. I ended up needing the forks, wheel/hub/rotor, axle and caliper bolts (KTM bolts were too short) from the Husky to make it work on the KTM.

I took the bike out for a test ride today and it was everything I'd hoped it would be. I need to play with the clickers a little bit to speed up the rebound, but aside from that I have zero complaints. Everything works perfectly and the bike feel great....very balanced and geometry feels the same (even if its not). Really, the only difference is these forks really work and dont have me guessing what's going to happen at every bump. If anyone has access to one of the last gen Husky's to steal front end parts from this is a very simple swap.

I'm still going to play with these 4cs forks and convert them to OC using the RT valves (and Terry Hays recommended specs) as they're going on the donor bike, but since that's a spare bike that rarely gets used it might be a while til I get around to it.

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

1/31/2018 3:30 PM

PC wrote:

I still have plans to try and make the 4cs forks tolerable (as they're destined for another bike), but in the meantime I've ...more

A very wise decision.

|

1/31/2018 5:51 PM

the 6-days 4CS fork set up is fantastic.

|

2/1/2018 5:29 AM

I have been told by a very reliable source that the 350 dual sport forks work very well with minor setup.

My 15.5 450 4CS forks that were revalved work very well.

|