48mm Cone Valve question

MXD
Edited Date/Time 5/26/2017 6:37pm
What is the oil level range? I can't get mine to bottom but they feel great everywhere else. I want to experiment with a bit less oil but I can't find that spec anywhere.
|
Johnny Depp
5/25/2017 4:30pm
Just take a bit out and try again?
Mark your lower fork leg with a dry erase marker and see how much of it gets wiped to check your travel, it may be using a bunch but you can't feel it because it's so progressive?
MXD
5/25/2017 10:48pm
Just take a bit out and try again? Mark your lower fork leg with a dry erase marker and see how much of it gets wiped...
Mark your lower fork leg with a dry erase marker and see how much of it gets wiped to check your travel, it may be using a bunch but you can't feel it because it's so progressive?
That's what I did, I took 10cc out of each leg. I know it started with 400, I was just curious how close that was to the upper limit. I have a thin rubber o-ring on the right tube and I can see that I still have .75-1 inch of travel left even though it feels like it bottoms.
Digger29
5/26/2017 8:25am
Just take a bit out and try again? Mark your lower fork leg with a dry erase marker and see how much of it gets wiped...
MXD wrote:
That's what I did, I took 10cc out of each leg. I know it started with 400, I was just curious how close that was to...
That's what I did, I took 10cc out of each leg. I know it started with 400, I was just curious how close that was to the upper limit. I have a thin rubber o-ring on the right tube and I can see that I still have .75-1 inch of travel left even though it feels like it bottoms.
My first pr had 390cc and my last 2 prs had 370cc in them so I'd go to 370cc.
mx317
5/26/2017 10:05am
I'm running 370cc in mine also

The Shop

MXD
5/26/2017 11:06am
Excellent, thanks for the info. I'm 225 so I'm running 5.0nm springs. 400cc's sounded like a lot for a spring with thicker diameter material than a typical spring for a lighter rider. I wonder if that's what is creating my false bottom and not allowing me to use the last 3/4 to a inch or so of travel.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
5/26/2017 12:00pm
I believe I'm at 380.

Have you gone softer on your compression clicker?
MXD
5/26/2017 12:11pm
I believe I'm at 380.

I started out at 12 clicks out (if I remember right) and I wasn't using all of the travel. I started softening it and hitting the same big flat land over and over. Somewhere around 16 clicks out, I got down to where you see in the pic below. I continued to soften all the way to 20 clicks out and even though I could feel it diving quicker and not holding up as well, the ring only got to this same spot. That's what led me to believe the oil level might be too high at 400cc's

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
5/26/2017 12:21pm
I believe I'm at 380.

MXD wrote:
I started out at 12 clicks out (if I remember right) and I wasn't using all of the travel. I started softening it and hitting the...
I started out at 12 clicks out (if I remember right) and I wasn't using all of the travel. I started softening it and hitting the same big flat land over and over. Somewhere around 16 clicks out, I got down to where you see in the pic below. I continued to soften all the way to 20 clicks out and even though I could feel it diving quicker and not holding up as well, the ring only got to this same spot. That's what led me to believe the oil level might be too high at 400cc's

That's pretty good, you are close to the bottom. But I hear what you are trying to accomplish. Have you messed with the preload at all?

It's a cool feature allowing you to run your set up a bit softer but still get hold up by adding tension to the preload. I'm typically 1.5-2click in from all the way out. Every 1/2 turn you will feel a click
MXD
5/26/2017 12:27pm
I believe I'm at 380.

MXD wrote:
I started out at 12 clicks out (if I remember right) and I wasn't using all of the travel. I started softening it and hitting the...

That's pretty good, you are close to the bottom. But I hear what you are trying to accomplish. Have you messed with the preload at all...
That's pretty good, you are close to the bottom. But I hear what you are trying to accomplish. Have you messed with the preload at all?

It's a cool feature allowing you to run your set up a bit softer but still get hold up by adding tension to the preload. I'm typically 1.5-2click in from all the way out. Every 1/2 turn you will feel a click
I bought them off of a WP employee and he said they should go all the way to the lug. A few friends of mine have CV's on their KTM's (mine is a 17 KX450) and they all said the same thing, theirs bottoms on the lug as well. If not for that, I would assume that this was the end of the travel because they feel great. The preload came set at 3 clicks or 1.5 turns out. I didn't mes with it as I don't know what the initial preload looked like and I didn't want to potentially introduce any negative preload by backing off and damage anything.
bvm111
5/26/2017 12:53pm
MXD wrote:

That's pretty good, you are close to the bottom. But I hear what you are trying to accomplish. Have you messed with the preload at all...

MXD wrote:
I bought them off of a WP employee and he said they should go all the way to the lug. A few friends of mine have...
I bought them off of a WP employee and he said they should go all the way to the lug. A few friends of mine have CV's on their KTM's (mine is a 17 KX450) and they all said the same thing, theirs bottoms on the lug as well. If not for that, I would assume that this was the end of the travel because they feel great. The preload came set at 3 clicks or 1.5 turns out. I didn't mes with it as I don't know what the initial preload looked like and I didn't want to potentially introduce any negative preload by backing off and damage anything.
Overall do you think they are an improvement on your KX450 over the TAC?
MXD
5/26/2017 1:20pm Edited Date/Time 5/26/2017 1:23pm
bvm111 wrote:
Huge. I bought a 16 KX450 in September of 2015. I rode the suspension bone stock for a few months and got it working pretty good but it would never stay there. What worked one day, would need tweaking the next. That, and the pressures would rise between motos sitting in the pits from the sun beating on the tubes. I had FC revalve them and it was better in some spots but not as good in others so that was a wash. I came across a set of well set up KYB spring forks off of a 2010 KX450 last summer that were set up by Enzo. Those were a huge improvement. Aside from the obvious improvement of no more air pressures, they gave me a much larger window between supple and good bottoming resistance which is what I struggled with on the TAC fork. With the TAC fork, it seemed that I could have one or the other but no good mix of both. The bike turned better, gave me a more confident feel and much more comfort in the high speed choppy stuff. The only complaint with the KYBs is that to get the small bump compliance that I preferred, I had to run them so soft that they bottomed a bit too easy. I was just about to buy some different perches and play with the oil level when I came across the CV's for a smoking deal so I grabbed them. I have since sold the 16 and bought a 17 which is what these are on now. The biggest things I noticed about these were that they feel like they have endless travel and the bike has insane front end traction in bumpy or rutted turns. I'm running these things so soft right now trying to find the limit and they are definitely bottoming but it's hard to feel it. With a traditional fork, when they bottom, you feel it. These are different. It allows you to run them so soft and really find that comfort.

If I had to rate them on a scale of improvement from 0 to 10 with the TAC fork being the baseline of 0, I would say the KYB's were a 6-6.5 and the CV's are the 10. I think the KYB's could be better with some fine tuning and probably get to 7 or 8 but the CV's are still better. To sum it up, if you can find a fresh set of KYB's that don't need anything for less than $1000, jump on it and you'll be stoked. If you find a set for 500-700 and they need springs, a revalve and you think you might want to dump a little extra cash into them to make them better, sink a bit extra and go for the CVs. Either way, you'll get most, if not all of your money back as long as you buy them right.
mx317
5/26/2017 2:33pm Edited Date/Time 5/26/2017 2:34pm
What spring are you running MXD? Also who set yours up? I had Billy at Powerband do mine.
bvm111
5/26/2017 3:24pm
bvm111 wrote:
MXD wrote:
Huge. I bought a 16 KX450 in September of 2015. I rode the suspension bone stock for a few months and got it working pretty good...
Huge. I bought a 16 KX450 in September of 2015. I rode the suspension bone stock for a few months and got it working pretty good but it would never stay there. What worked one day, would need tweaking the next. That, and the pressures would rise between motos sitting in the pits from the sun beating on the tubes. I had FC revalve them and it was better in some spots but not as good in others so that was a wash. I came across a set of well set up KYB spring forks off of a 2010 KX450 last summer that were set up by Enzo. Those were a huge improvement. Aside from the obvious improvement of no more air pressures, they gave me a much larger window between supple and good bottoming resistance which is what I struggled with on the TAC fork. With the TAC fork, it seemed that I could have one or the other but no good mix of both. The bike turned better, gave me a more confident feel and much more comfort in the high speed choppy stuff. The only complaint with the KYBs is that to get the small bump compliance that I preferred, I had to run them so soft that they bottomed a bit too easy. I was just about to buy some different perches and play with the oil level when I came across the CV's for a smoking deal so I grabbed them. I have since sold the 16 and bought a 17 which is what these are on now. The biggest things I noticed about these were that they feel like they have endless travel and the bike has insane front end traction in bumpy or rutted turns. I'm running these things so soft right now trying to find the limit and they are definitely bottoming but it's hard to feel it. With a traditional fork, when they bottom, you feel it. These are different. It allows you to run them so soft and really find that comfort.

If I had to rate them on a scale of improvement from 0 to 10 with the TAC fork being the baseline of 0, I would say the KYB's were a 6-6.5 and the CV's are the 10. I think the KYB's could be better with some fine tuning and probably get to 7 or 8 but the CV's are still better. To sum it up, if you can find a fresh set of KYB's that don't need anything for less than $1000, jump on it and you'll be stoked. If you find a set for 500-700 and they need springs, a revalve and you think you might want to dump a little extra cash into them to make them better, sink a bit extra and go for the CVs. Either way, you'll get most, if not all of your money back as long as you buy them right.
Awesome thanks for the info, I've only been riding my 16 for a couple months and agree with everything you said about the TAC and mine are set up by FC. When I have good small chop compliance they fall through the travel and it corners like crap and bottoms with a resounding CLANK! I have a good base setting right now and I'm going to run it for awhile but it's still vague in the corners if I go to far inside or in a rut, out side I can dial in the throttle early and rail around with good momentum and front end feel but from center out the front seems to hunt and gets really odd and "floaty" is a word I have been using or just not connected to the ground and not confidence inspiring.

Ill probably hang on to the 16 until the 18s come out and I might just have to look for a set of CVs for it and maybe try the TACs on my 06 KX 250 as I am sure it is better than my Race Tech set up KYBs!
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
5/26/2017 3:28pm
MXD wrote:

MXD wrote:
I bought them off of a WP employee and he said they should go all the way to the lug. A few friends of mine have...
Did he (Ola) hook you up on the forks ? I've sent a few people to him, but didn't check back to see how it went...
MXD
5/26/2017 5:12pm
mx317 wrote:
What spring are you running MXD? Also who set yours up? I had Billy at Powerband do mine.
5.0nm springs. I bought them off a guy that works for WP Factory Services so he set them up for me. I can email you the spec sheet with the shim configs if you want to take a look. A lot of guys around here use Powerband but doesn't he pull the actual cone valve out and replace it with traditional shims? I wonder what the advantage to that is. Everyone loves his set up so it must be good.
MXD
5/26/2017 5:20pm
langhammx wrote:
Did he (Ola) hook you up on the forks ? I've sent a few people to him, but didn't check back to see how it went...
I don't think that's who I bought them off of. It was a private sale, I didn't even know he worked there until after our first conversation.
mx317
5/26/2017 6:37pm
mx317 wrote:
MXD wrote:
5.0nm springs. I bought them off a guy that works for WP Factory Services so he set them up for me. I can email you the...
5.0nm springs. I bought them off a guy that works for WP Factory Services so he set them up for me. I can email you the spec sheet with the shim configs if you want to take a look. A lot of guys around here use Powerband but doesn't he pull the actual cone valve out and replace it with traditional shims? I wonder what the advantage to that is. Everyone loves his set up so it must be good.
He has put in conventional mid valves in the past, but cone valves were left in mine. I think he has been leaving the cone valves in lately.
MXD
5/28/2017 5:49pm
MXD wrote:
That's what I did, I took 10cc out of each leg. I know it started with 400, I was just curious how close that was to...
Digger29 wrote:
My first pr had 390cc and my last 2 prs had 370cc in them so I'd go to 370cc.
Hey Digger, it was great to meet you today. FYI, I got them to bottom. The o-ring was just about flush up against the lug. I slammed it off the big step up. I can't believe how soft you can run these forks without them bottoming.

Post a reply to: 48mm Cone Valve question

The Latest