450’s too fast, fact or fiction?

Titan1
4/7/2018 8:33pm
Titan1 wrote:
Top speed is a result of gearing...gear a 450 so the top speed is 40 or 50 mph and you’d see dudes “5th gear @ WOT...
Top speed is a result of gearing...gear a 450 so the top speed is 40 or 50 mph and you’d see dudes “5th gear @ WOT in the entire track”. Gear a 250 two stroke so the top speed is 100 MPH and nobody would ever be “5th gear @ WOT”. So I don’t think going top speed is a requirment to use all the power a bike has or to ride it at its potential.
H4L wrote:
I think we have a different understanding of riding a 450 to its full potential. You mentioned you do desert racing so perhaps you could hold...
I think we have a different understanding of riding a 450 to its full potential.
You mentioned you do desert racing so perhaps you could hold it WOT in 5th gear for a long stretch on a flat surface.
The majority could hold it open off the line in a start or on the straights, but holding it open around the track I don't believe I've seen or heard of anyone do it.
Riding a 450 around a track is a different animal.
You said: “5th gear @ WOT in the entire track”...Nobody does that on any bike...ever...it’s impossible for anyone to ride any track at top speed for the “entire track”. In fact, I’d better even the fastest pros on a 250 two stroke aren’t wide open throttle in 5th gear even a majority of the time...let alone for the entire track.

And if you ride a 450 Iike that (WOT) you are riding the bike wrong...450’s need to be ridden lower in the RPM range. So to really ride a 450 to its full potential, you can’t do it by bouncing it off the rev limiter (like you’d do on a two stroke) you’d do it by riding a gear high-lower in the RPM range-and taking advantage of all that torque.

So your gauge of riding a bike to its potential ““5th gear @ WOT in the entire track”...doesn’t apply to 450’s.
Crush
4/7/2018 8:49pm
Titan1 wrote:
Top speed is a result of gearing...gear a 450 so the top speed is 40 or 50 mph and you’d see dudes “5th gear @ WOT...
Top speed is a result of gearing...gear a 450 so the top speed is 40 or 50 mph and you’d see dudes “5th gear @ WOT in the entire track”. Gear a 250 two stroke so the top speed is 100 MPH and nobody would ever be “5th gear @ WOT”. So I don’t think going top speed is a requirment to use all the power a bike has or to ride it at its potential.
H4L wrote:
I think we have a different understanding of riding a 450 to its full potential. You mentioned you do desert racing so perhaps you could hold...
I think we have a different understanding of riding a 450 to its full potential.
You mentioned you do desert racing so perhaps you could hold it WOT in 5th gear for a long stretch on a flat surface.
The majority could hold it open off the line in a start or on the straights, but holding it open around the track I don't believe I've seen or heard of anyone do it.
Riding a 450 around a track is a different animal.
Titan1 wrote:
You said: “5th gear @ WOT in the entire track”...Nobody does that on any bike...ever...it’s impossible for anyone to ride any track at top speed for...
You said: “5th gear @ WOT in the entire track”...Nobody does that on any bike...ever...it’s impossible for anyone to ride any track at top speed for the “entire track”. In fact, I’d better even the fastest pros on a 250 two stroke aren’t wide open throttle in 5th gear even a majority of the time...let alone for the entire track.

And if you ride a 450 Iike that (WOT) you are riding the bike wrong...450’s need to be ridden lower in the RPM range. So to really ride a 450 to its full potential, you can’t do it by bouncing it off the rev limiter (like you’d do on a two stroke) you’d do it by riding a gear high-lower in the RPM range-and taking advantage of all that torque.

So your gauge of riding a bike to its potential ““5th gear @ WOT in the entire track”...doesn’t apply to 450’s.
Why focus on speed, or what someone can perceive they can handle as opposed to someone who thinks they've got bigger nuts?

The racing on the track is what matters and that's where it's evident that more CC's almost always impedes the racing for the vasty majority of riders, pros to amateurs to muppets.
H4L
4/7/2018 8:55pm Edited Date/Time 4/8/2018 6:29am
Titan1 wrote:
You said: “5th gear @ WOT in the entire track”...Nobody does that on any bike...ever...it’s impossible for anyone to ride any track at top speed for...

Not sure if you're following SX Seattle this evening, but it was mentioned that the 450's have to much power.
As far as what your saying on how to ride a 450 I mention that on a few posts back, but thanks for the heads up...
Bry145
4/9/2018 2:52pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Looks like A LOT of people up in here NEVER take a gate-drop: you’ll see “100% Throttle” if you do!
Laughing
Local moto needs to pass the cost/benefit analysis in order for more people to experience gate-drops.

Why spend $100, wake up before dawn, spend 10+ hours at the track to get in ~22 laps and 4 gate drops?

I can go to a practice day, sleep in, spend $30, do 2 30+ 2 lap motos, get in my workout, and enjoy the rest of the day. This passes the cost/benefit analysis. At my age and budget, I'd rather do this. Some may say I need to race to get better. I don't care about improving! I do this for pleasure and exercise. I'm happy with my vet class speed and don't want to gt smashed up or go into debt to go racing.

The Shop

Post a reply to: 450’s too fast, fact or fiction?

The Latest