450’s too fast, fact or fiction?

Crush
4/7/2018 9:03am Edited Date/Time 4/7/2018 9:04am
Well the 1% do seem to be ragdolling their way to injury right and left though. When we think of "speed" on a bike it's usually...
Well the 1% do seem to be ragdolling their way to injury right and left though.

When we think of "speed" on a bike it's usually in relation to other riders, but in this case the actual miles-per-hour speed is faster, though not more exciting to watch, so the injuries are obviously more traumatic. Cole Seely's crash didn't even look that scary if I recall, but those are some grisly internal injuries he sustained.

Just a theory, but was the pecking order more rightly established on 2 strokes? Since they weren't as forgiving or easy to go fast on, are more riders who wouldn't have made it into the 1% 20 years ago getting into that echelon now?
I do think four strokes allow more to go the pace. We have seen training camps etc, but there are more "guys" now in each class for sure than we saw for a long time.

Thing is, i've chipped in in these conversations before and said things like too fast etc, but then you see the posts above and it's all experience and bravado based... some peope have big balls, some say they do, some are realistic. Reality is, we gotta realise, too fast, too much etc, it's irrelevant.

What isn't, is the racing. It's undeniable the 250 class produces better racing and has, almost exclusively, which can only mean that MX, as it should be, is better served when the bikes on average are ridden too their max by more riders. It's only the freaks who have pushed a 450. They are definitely a better race bike, ie to the flag, in that a mistake is recovered etc, but what they can do extends limits way past what should, especially in a stadium. Like KW said, bones aren't getting better like the bikes, so you add injuries and the likelihood of them being worse if you're going faster and it's bloody obvious what should happen.

But the mfgs are probably still taking it in the ass from the GFC and the 4 stroke revolution, so I'm sure they're not exactly pumped about maybe a 150 four stroke and 250s, probable maintenance costs, a dwindling customer base, noise etc.

Make it two strokes from amateur till the entry class and then 250 four strokes for the pros... It would address so many issue, and create a few more, but the biggest issue to me is participation and then selling the sport... and loud ass four strokes everywhere and the entry class being better racing are red flags for me for sure.
Bry145
4/7/2018 9:09am
Park Boys wrote:
Fiction
Does KTM sell more 350s or 450s?

If the 350 sells better, maybe the 450s are too fast on average for consumers and they are voicing this by purchasing 350s?

Which would Honda sell more of? A current CRF450 or a CRF250 bored and stroked to 350 and 50-55 quality easy to ride horsepower and 10 less lbs. of weight?

I have no data to support my argument, but these points are worth considering.

Leave me out! I like the sound and lack of cost of a two-stroke. But a CRF350 would be darned appealing for us old guys who like Jap bikes, aluminum frames, and Showa/KYB suspension.

4/7/2018 9:09am
FRANK121 wrote:
All this talk about the 450's being to slow around the track, you do know that at every event this year the 450 class has turned...
All this talk about the 450's being to slow around the track, you do know that at every event this year the 450 class has turned in lap times around 2 seconds FASTER than the 250's have, right?
Jump combos, not corner speed. I'd like to see a 17 round 250 series to see if they have as many injuries to main event guys in a less experienced class.
Bry145
4/7/2018 9:20am
"Make it two strokes from amateur till the entry class and then 250 four strokes for the pros"

That would be the smart thing to do. That's why it will never happen! Let's send 15 year old kids out on 50HP 250Fs instead of 32HP 125s. And let's keep 10 ambulances on standby so we can keep the motos going as the red flags come out.

125 and 250 two-strokes were fun, affordable, and made for great racing, amateur and pro. I pine for the good old days!

The only constant is change, but sometimes change isn't good.

"The status-quo sucks!"
-George Carlin

The Shop

Titan1
4/7/2018 9:39am
JMX82 wrote:
Yeah it's funny when guys say that I can use 450's full potential when they are going main straight with 3rd gear wide open and never...
Yeah it's funny when guys say that I can use 450's full potential when they are going main straight with 3rd gear wide open and never change any gears during whole lap. When you are using the full potential of the bike you will be doing the same with fifth gear Smile
H4L wrote:
Agree. This has been my thoughts as well. Ride a bone stock 450 in 5th gear @ WOT in the entire track & then you can...
Agree. This has been my thoughts as well. Ride a bone stock 450 in 5th gear @ WOT in the entire track & then you can say you have used the full potential.

I remember riding my 1st 450 (05 CRF) that was bone stock. I found out that they have a 2nd boost of power that kicks in the upper revs. If you don't respect it, it will put you in the ER like it did to me in 07. I haven't fully recovered from that crash 100 %..
Top speed is a result of gearing...gear a 450 so the top speed is 40 or 50 mph and you’d see dudes “5th gear @ WOT in the entire track”. Gear a 250 two stroke so the top speed is 100 MPH and nobody would ever be “5th gear @ WOT”. So I don’t think going top speed is a requirment to use all the power a bike has or to ride it at its potential.
4/7/2018 9:48am
Titan1 wrote:
Top speed is a result of gearing...gear a 450 so the top speed is 40 or 50 mph and you’d see dudes “5th gear @ WOT...
Top speed is a result of gearing...gear a 450 so the top speed is 40 or 50 mph and you’d see dudes “5th gear @ WOT in the entire track”. Gear a 250 two stroke so the top speed is 100 MPH and nobody would ever be “5th gear @ WOT”. So I don’t think going top speed is a requirment to use all the power a bike has or to ride it at its potential.
The last sentence sums up my stance on this.
Bry145
4/7/2018 9:53am
Titan1 wrote:
Top speed is a result of gearing...gear a 450 so the top speed is 40 or 50 mph and you’d see dudes “5th gear @ WOT...
Let's attach data acquisition to every 450 sold, download that data a year later, and see how much total time they are at 100% throttle during operation.

Let's see what percentage of time they are at 75%-99.9% throttle.

Let's see what percentage of time they are at 50%-74.99% throttle.

Let's see what percentage of time they are at 25%-49.99% throttle.

With that data in hand, we may potentially be able to argue they are too fast given that riders do not use the throttle to potential. Maybe, maybe not.

It would be interesting to see some data.

That said, it is quite a thrill to hit WFO in the powerband of a 250 2-stroke and hold it there for a few seconds and still make the corner. It makes Joe Blow Vet Rider (me) feel pretty good! How many average guys can do this on a 450 on the regular without a rag-doll and yard sale?

Johnny Depp
4/7/2018 10:04am Edited Date/Time 4/7/2018 11:43am
Let's assume we can allow people to make their own purchase decisions and this is just about the Pro's.

Restricting power in whatever manner would bring the pack together, and heavier rider's would pay an immediate penalty. As a result I vote for Open classes showcasing the fastest bikes and riders in the World. Don't reinvent the wheel, let the future be decided on the tracks and not the rule books and cigar smoke filled back rooms.

If "handicapping" bikes is a goal for lower levels, a dyno at tech inspection is the only measuring tool available. With E-bikes now in the equation, and the bad logic of forcing pro's onto 250's only (Pro Circuit thanks you $) the formula of how to enforce power restrictions becomes problematic, since "programming" changes by Bluetooth are a reality a pre race test and "sealed engine" might not yield the same HP during the actual race. You might never catch all the cheating and end up chasing your tail.

Pro's-Open
Jr's- 40 hp limit

4/7/2018 10:10am
I will admit, as a 450 rider, the only thing I ride to it's full potential is a 250 rider's wife.
4/7/2018 10:13am
Titan1 wrote:
Bry145 wrote:
Let's attach data acquisition to every 450 sold, download that data a year later, and see how much total time they are at 100% throttle during...
Let's attach data acquisition to every 450 sold, download that data a year later, and see how much total time they are at 100% throttle during operation.

With that data in hand, we may potentially be able to argue they are too fast given that riders do not use the throttle to potential. Maybe, maybe not.

That said, it is quite a thrill to hit WFO in the powerband of a 250 2-stroke and hold it there for a few seconds and still make the corner. It makes Joe Blow Vet Rider (me) feel pretty good! How many average guys can do this on a 450 on the regular without a rag-doll and yard sale?

Mathes discussed this once in his days at Yamaha. Don't remember who the reference rider was (DV?) but the rider was told to guess the time they spent at full throttle around a SX track. He thought well upwards of over 60% and it was like 20-30%. Riders have no clue. Their brain is braver than their ability.
Titan1
4/7/2018 10:20am
Titan1 wrote:
Bry145 wrote:
Let's attach data acquisition to every 450 sold, download that data a year later, and see how much total time they are at 100% throttle during...

That data would be interesting to see, for sure...but it has to be in context:

If someone is riding a 450 wide open all the time-in any gear-they are riding it wrong...those bikes make better power lower in the rpm range, so naturally a rider shouldn’t have the throttle pinned very much of the time.

If someone riding a two stroke lower in the rpm range, they are riding it wrong...those bikes make the best power at high rpms so A rider who is riding the bike correctly will have the throttle wide open far more often than on a four stroke.

So hitting a corner wfo on a 450 is the wrong way to ride the bike...if they are WFO...they need to shift up a gear and ride the bike in the meat of the power (in lower RPMs).
RCMXracing
4/7/2018 10:27am Edited Date/Time 4/7/2018 10:36am
Bry145 wrote:
Does KTM sell more 350s or 450s? If the 350 sells better, maybe the 450s are too fast on average for consumers and they are voicing...

If the 350 sells better, maybe the 450s are too fast on average for consumers and they are voicing this by purchasing 350s?

Which would Honda sell more of? A current CRF450 or a CRF250 bored and stroked to 350 and 50-55 quality easy to ride horsepower and 10 less lbs. of weight?

Leave me out! I like the sound and lack of cost of a two-stroke. But a CRF350 would be darned appealing for us old guys who like Jap bikes, aluminum frames, and Showa/KYB suspension.

Pretty sure they sell more 350’s. Having ridden them both the 350 is 20% less beast IMO. I’m considered getting one. A recent Dirtbike KTM 350 review article hinted that the Japanese might make a 350.
Back to the OP, I want to be clear, in no way does anyone use the full potential of a 450 All THE WAY around a track like Tomac at Southwick (and even his throttle isn’t locked to the stop). Some are parsing words on this thread. BUT, sections of the track, on SOME tracks, I damn sure do use it all. That’s why I don’t think they are too powerful. Just have to ride them with respect, and would hate to see them go away like 500 2T’s did. Propaganda spread by janky pod cast hosts isn’t helping. Love riding a 250F also, but in deep conditions with jumps out of corners they can let you down. If I was a Jedi master at cornering with a built 250F I would probably be fine. I don’t apologize for being a HP/Torque junkie. Evil
Titan1
4/7/2018 10:37am
Park Boys wrote:
Fiction
Bry145 wrote:
Does KTM sell more 350s or 450s? If the 350 sells better, maybe the 450s are too fast on average for consumers and they are voicing...

The KTM 350 and 450 are the same weight aren’t they?
4/7/2018 11:10am
Been riding 450s since 2005, don’t think I’ve ever felt myself hit the throttle stop or the limiter, keep it in the meat of the power curve. Just because you don’t use every bhp doesn’t mean the torque isn’t useful.
mxer807
4/7/2018 11:11am
Nobody can ride a crf 50 “WFO” 100% of the time around a mx or sx track so that would mean you can’t handle it’s “full potential” ...? that’s what some people are stating in here. If you can’t ride the bike wfo all the way around the track then your not using its full potential.. lol. Yikes. Better sell my 4 fifth and down grade ! It’s more appropriate to to buy a slow bike and struggle to get over jumps and stuff and wish I was going faster instead of actually going faster!
mxer807
4/7/2018 11:13am
Titan1 wrote:
The last sentence sums up my stance on this.
A+ On last sentence as well.
Bry145
4/7/2018 12:45pm
It comes down to the rider.

Is a 450 too fast for Ryan Villopoto? No! Why? He knows what he is doing.
Was a CR500 too fast for David Bailey? No! Why? He knew what he was doing.

Is a 2018 CRF450 too fast for an inexperienced D rider? Very likely! Why? He doesn't know what he is doing.
Is a 2018 YZF450 too fast for a 130lb. high school junior who is new to riding? Extremely likely! Why? Same reason.

If you have the skill, technique, experience, conditioning, budget to buy/ride/race a 450, go for it. They are great bikes for the right person. They are also expensive at MSRP with fees and such. 10K+ is an expensive machine for a lot of people. Deals are out there, but on average I imagine they still sell relatively close to MSRP.

But, if the rider is lacking any pieces of the skill, technique, experience, conditioning, budget pie-chart, they are likely better off on another machine.

I can ride a 450 just fine, but my budget suits a 250 two-stroke. That's what I bought. No regrets. Will I get another 450 if I try to go to LL in +40? Possibly, if in shape and the budget allows. If I ride for fun, I'll be on a YZ250 likely for life as it suits my needs just fine and is inexpensive. It will be quite some time before e-bikes catch up to 2-strokes regarding affordability.
acres951
4/7/2018 3:02pm
How do I make a 450 less powerful so I can ride it harder? Is a ‘13-‘16 Honda 450 that much more mellow than the others?

Having to buy used, I like the idea of a 450. It’s just that I prefer to feel like I’m pushing the bike harder like a 250f than what I can with a 450.

Had a ‘98 yz400f and I’d take that level of power ina lighter better chassis. But memories make this fond I suppose.
Titan1
4/7/2018 3:30pm
acres951 wrote:
How do I make a 450 less powerful so I can ride it harder? Is a ‘13-‘16 Honda 450 that much more mellow than the others...
How do I make a 450 less powerful so I can ride it harder? Is a ‘13-‘16 Honda 450 that much more mellow than the others?

Having to buy used, I like the idea of a 450. It’s just that I prefer to feel like I’m pushing the bike harder like a 250f than what I can with a 450.

Had a ‘98 yz400f and I’d take that level of power ina lighter better chassis. But memories make this fond I suppose.
My 15 KX450 has three different maps (I guess that’s what they are called) that came from the factory..mild, normal, and hard...the mild map may be just what you are after.
BikerScars
4/7/2018 3:51pm
IMO, I say fact.
I have noticed local tracks have been mellowed out a LOT since 2 stroke days. Everything cut down. But it was smart, as current bikes are so much more powerful it's just too easy to twist the throttle and land in ICU if the obstacles are freaky.

I think the pros should have 150cc and 300cc class, 4 stroke or 2 are eligible, cc for cc.
Might save 2 strokes, and affordable amateur racing.
Forty
4/7/2018 3:56pm
Let's assume we can allow people to make their own purchase decisions and this is just about the Pro's. Restricting power in whatever manner would bring...
Let's assume we can allow people to make their own purchase decisions and this is just about the Pro's.

Restricting power in whatever manner would bring the pack together, and heavier rider's would pay an immediate penalty. As a result I vote for Open classes showcasing the fastest bikes and riders in the World. Don't reinvent the wheel, let the future be decided on the tracks and not the rule books and cigar smoke filled back rooms.

If "handicapping" bikes is a goal for lower levels, a dyno at tech inspection is the only measuring tool available. With E-bikes now in the equation, and the bad logic of forcing pro's onto 250's only (Pro Circuit thanks you $) the formula of how to enforce power restrictions becomes problematic, since "programming" changes by Bluetooth are a reality a pre race test and "sealed engine" might not yield the same HP during the actual race. You might never catch all the cheating and end up chasing your tail.

Pro's-Open
Jr's- 40 hp limit

Don't tell me what to assume!
4/7/2018 3:57pm
BikerScars wrote:
IMO, I say fact. I have noticed local tracks have been mellowed out a LOT since 2 stroke days. Everything cut down. But it was smart...
IMO, I say fact.
I have noticed local tracks have been mellowed out a LOT since 2 stroke days. Everything cut down. But it was smart, as current bikes are so much more powerful it's just too easy to twist the throttle and land in ICU if the obstacles are freaky.

I think the pros should have 150cc and 300cc class, 4 stroke or 2 are eligible, cc for cc.
Might save 2 strokes, and affordable amateur racing.
I always see this idea about 2 strokes being cheaper, I know for sure that I spent more tuning one of my race 125s ‘back in the day’ than I have on my last 5 450s combined.
SoCalMX70
4/7/2018 4:10pm
I always see this idea about 2 strokes being cheaper, I know for sure that I spent more tuning one of my race 125s ‘back in...
I always see this idea about 2 strokes being cheaper, I know for sure that I spent more tuning one of my race 125s ‘back in the day’ than I have on my last 5 450s combined.
Comparing a 125 to a 450. So logical.

I've spent far less on maintenance with my 250 2 stroke than I ever did with my 450... And if the motor blows up I'm back in business for $700-900, easy.

That topic has been beaten to death though.
TeamGreen
4/7/2018 4:13pm Edited Date/Time 4/7/2018 4:17pm
Looks like A LOT of people up in here NEVER take a gate-drop: you’ll see “100% Throttle” if you do!
Laughing
Titan1
4/7/2018 4:54pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Looks like A LOT of people up in here NEVER take a gate-drop: you’ll see “100% Throttle” if you do!
Laughing
Or a bomb run...or a dry lake bed...or a long sandy wash. Those are times I love being on a 450!
Johnny Depp
4/7/2018 5:22pm Edited Date/Time 4/7/2018 5:24pm
I think anyone racing Vet in Central Tx should definitely not ride a 450, they are dangerous unpredictable fire breathing animals that could leave you in a wheelchair or worse Cool

Personally when I go jogging, I like to use ankle weights just to make it harder and prove my manhood, so I know how some of you feel about your little engines Wink
acres951
4/7/2018 5:39pm
acres951 wrote:
How do I make a 450 less powerful so I can ride it harder? Is a ‘13-‘16 Honda 450 that much more mellow than the others...

Titan1 wrote:
My 15 KX450 has three different maps (I guess that’s what they are called) that came from the factory..mild, normal, and hard...the mild map may be...
My 15 KX450 has three different maps (I guess that’s what they are called) that came from the factory..mild, normal, and hard...the mild map may be just what you are after.
Thanks, I haven’t even ridden an EFI bike yet. Always wondered how much of an effect those maps had.

So you could feel the difference and felt like the mellow map you would have to really push it?

I quit racing in 2005 and last year bought a yz250 to get back into it but I just didn’t ride enough to not get arm pump within 3 turns.
Drtbykr
4/7/2018 6:21pm
In tonight’s SX race they will be just perfect. Torque Daddy.
Tim507
4/7/2018 6:39pm
Park Boys wrote:
Fiction
Bry145 wrote:

Titan1 wrote:
The KTM 350 and 450 are the same weight aren’t they?
yes they are......
H4L
4/7/2018 7:06pm
Titan1 wrote:
I think we have a different understanding of riding a 450 to its full potential.
You mentioned you do desert racing so perhaps you could hold it WOT in 5th gear for a long stretch on a flat surface.
The majority could hold it open off the line in a start or on the straights, but holding it open around the track I don't believe I've seen or heard of anyone do it.
Riding a 450 around a track is a different animal.

Post a reply to: 450’s too fast, fact or fiction?

The Latest