450 to 250 2 stroke...(update) !

mirramaxx
Edited Date/Time 12/25/2018 10:21am
so back in September I sold my 13 crf450, still have my 08 crf250 to race/ride. Really been wanting something to wrench on over winter. Came across an FB add. its a mutal friend from the track that is selling his 06 cr 250 for $2900 Need some opinions ! Are these a good model year ? More fun then the old 450 ? just go for it its a 2 stroke haha.. Thanks in advance !
|
zehn
12/17/2018 9:45pm
Those things keep their value for what’s its worth
NorCal 50+
12/17/2018 10:38pm
When I think of CRs of that era being ridden now, I think of my skinny, pimply-faced cousin ripping a fire road with an overly enthusiastic wrist motion while wearing a flannel shirt and with numberplates spray-painted glossy back.
My friend, what you want for that time period is the peerless moto weapon known as the Suzuki RM250.

This is what MXA had to say (for all their faults, still an authority) on the topic of the '96 CR250, found on the google:

How does it compare to the blue, yellow, green and orange competition? That depends on what part of the powerband you are talking about. Low-end? Sorry, the CR250 is lazy down low. Midrange? This is where the CR250 does its best work. Top-end? It needs considerably more overrev to make the engine versatile.

Is it faster than the competition? In the hands of a rider who can carry beaucoup speed out of the corners and unerringly shift on peak, the CR250 powerband is competitive. Unfortunately, those skills are only found in the top three percent of the motocross population. With a less-skilled pilot in command, it’s a lot of work to stay on the pipe.
12/18/2018 1:22am
Selling my 450 for a KX250 was the best thing I ever did, it completely revitalised my love for riding.. you will not regret it for a second!

The Shop

kb228
12/18/2018 3:11am
Give it a shot. If you dont like it youll get your money back easy.
cody41
12/18/2018 5:30am
This is my personal opinion since I have went back and forth between a 450 and 250 two stroke four times in the past 5 years. If you’re going to a two stroke, then either buy a yamaha with rubber mounted triple clamps, or a new Husky/ktm. Two strokes are fun, but after the initial giggity wears off you realize that they vibrate like crazy and that four strokes ride extremely smooth. I’m currently on a 17 yz250 with a BRP top clamp which helped a lot. I also ran PHDS mounts on my 13 and 14 ktm’s. The 07 rm250 I had was a death machine... I have rode several 17 ktm 250sx’s and they are insanely smooth, and I was very impressed. Overall, I wouldn’t buy some old two stroke unless you’re okay with having an uncomfortable, rough, and outdated ride.
mirramaxx
12/18/2018 6:28am
Thanks for all the replies! It looks like he has aftermarket triple clamps already. I have cruised around on my friends ys250 in the pits and it seemed pretty light weight and just easy to ride, but I'm a honda guy and I'm looking for something different to ride this year. Also have a local vintage mx group and a 2 stroke would fit in nice!
H4L
12/18/2018 6:40am
mirramaxx wrote:
Thanks for all the replies! It looks like he has aftermarket triple clamps already. I have cruised around on my friends ys250 in the pits and...
Thanks for all the replies! It looks like he has aftermarket triple clamps already. I have cruised around on my friends ys250 in the pits and it seemed pretty light weight and just easy to ride, but I'm a honda guy and I'm looking for something different to ride this year. Also have a local vintage mx group and a 2 stroke would fit in nice!
Have owned or ridden a few of the last technology Japanese 05-07 250 2t's & the CR2 of that gen is severely underrated. It has the best chassis / suspension combo of the big 4 brands with very good turning & handling once the suspension is sorted out. Where Honda missed the mark was with the engine not being finely tuned from the factory.

The engine needs some minor tweaks & afterwards you'll be rewarded with an exceptional mx weapon.
SOAB_465
12/18/2018 7:06am
H4L wrote:
Have owned or ridden a few of the last technology Japanese 05-07 250 2t's & the CR2 of that gen is severely underrated. It has the...
Have owned or ridden a few of the last technology Japanese 05-07 250 2t's & the CR2 of that gen is severely underrated. It has the best chassis / suspension combo of the big 4 brands with very good turning & handling once the suspension is sorted out. Where Honda missed the mark was with the engine not being finely tuned from the factory.

The engine needs some minor tweaks & afterwards you'll be rewarded with an exceptional mx weapon.
I don't know about best suspension... the YZ's suspension is still in the running for best of the best in 2019. The chassis is certainly more precise than the YZ though.
H4L
12/18/2018 7:25am
SOAB_465 wrote:
I don't know about best suspension... the YZ's suspension is still in the running for best of the best in 2019. The chassis is certainly more...
I don't know about best suspension... the YZ's suspension is still in the running for best of the best in 2019. The chassis is certainly more precise than the YZ though.
"best chassis / suspension combo". The 05+ Showas TC's can be made to work as good as the 06+ KYB's. I've had a couple of sets of both brands done by reputable suspension companies & can say they're both very good.
The Yamaha marketing dept. did a good job with the SSS 06 + KYB's & the media has rightfully so given them rave reviews. Yamaha has had excellent spring / valving specs from the factory for both the 2t & 4t models.

The Showa TC's have a similiar function internally to the KYB's & can be made to work just as good in the hands of a reputable suspension tuner.
jeffro503
12/18/2018 5:03pm
cody41 wrote:
This is my personal opinion since I have went back and forth between a 450 and 250 two stroke four times in the past 5 years...
This is my personal opinion since I have went back and forth between a 450 and 250 two stroke four times in the past 5 years. If you’re going to a two stroke, then either buy a yamaha with rubber mounted triple clamps, or a new Husky/ktm. Two strokes are fun, but after the initial giggity wears off you realize that they vibrate like crazy and that four strokes ride extremely smooth. I’m currently on a 17 yz250 with a BRP top clamp which helped a lot. I also ran PHDS mounts on my 13 and 14 ktm’s. The 07 rm250 I had was a death machine... I have rode several 17 ktm 250sx’s and they are insanely smooth, and I was very impressed. Overall, I wouldn’t buy some old two stroke unless you’re okay with having an uncomfortable, rough, and outdated ride.
Man....I own 2 new Husky's , AND an 06' RM 250. I have no clue as to how you had your RM set up.....but mine is simply a dream machine. I've got even more done to it since my last ride , but I can 100% say as a fact from me......that my 18' TC 250 is NOT light years better than my RM. I will also say ( once I get her back together ).....on race day , and having to pick between my RM and my box stock TC 250......I would pick the RM. That son of a bitch was ahead of it's time , and is no fucking slouch on the track. I honestly don't think I've ever ridden a more perfect bike than my RM. They are that good!
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
12/18/2018 10:08pm
cody41 wrote:
This is my personal opinion since I have went back and forth between a 450 and 250 two stroke four times in the past 5 years...
jeffro503 wrote:
Man....I own 2 new Husky's , AND an 06' RM 250. I have no clue as to how you had your RM set up.....but mine is...
Man....I own 2 new Husky's , AND an 06' RM 250. I have no clue as to how you had your RM set up.....but mine is simply a dream machine. I've got even more done to it since my last ride , but I can 100% say as a fact from me......that my 18' TC 250 is NOT light years better than my RM. I will also say ( once I get her back together ).....on race day , and having to pick between my RM and my box stock TC 250......I would pick the RM. That son of a bitch was ahead of it's time , and is no fucking slouch on the track. I honestly don't think I've ever ridden a more perfect bike than my RM. They are that good!
^^^ THIS ^^^
jbrass715
12/19/2018 6:58am
I did the switch, realized how lazy of a rider I had become. The 2 stroke made me work again and improved my lap times in return. Plus that smell...… can't beat it!
jeffro503
12/19/2018 8:10am
cody41 wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
Man....I own 2 new Husky's , AND an 06' RM 250. I have no clue as to how you had your RM set up.....but mine is...
langhammx wrote:
^^^ THIS ^^^
Did you end up keeping yours Shaun? Or did you end up selling it?

@Mirramax.....I talked about my RM above , but those later gen CR's were fantastic bikes as well. You should give it an honest shot , and if you can't come to term's with it , you could sell it and probably make every penny back.
yz133rider
12/19/2018 9:34am
Hands down id get an rm before that cr. Id drive like 15 hr round trip to find the cleanest 05+ rm before getting a cr thats 20 mins away.

The engines are so much better on the rm. Chassis is great, suspension is good, ergos are good every thing.

The crs engjnes suck. Sure with enough work, porting, head work, keihin carb, its a good engine but an rm out of the box has a great engine.
BroFoSho
12/19/2018 10:20am
You're not buying a two-stroke for outright power, you're buying it for a fun-factor. Who cares if it's slow (compared to other two-strokes)? Sure you're giving up a 3-4 HP to an RM, but your giving up 10+ to any 450. If you want a faster bike, buy a 450.

That said, the 02-07 CR chassis is dynamite and replacement/aftermarket parts are easy to be had.
Turbojez
12/19/2018 11:28am
cody41 wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
Fun fact, your posts were one of the reasons I started looking for RM.
Long story short, I have this bike for two years now, and I you would have to pry it from my death, cold hands to take it away from me.
Thank you Jeffro!!!
jeffro503
12/19/2018 2:04pm
cody41 wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
Turbojez wrote:
Fun fact, your posts were one of the reasons I started looking for RM. Long story short, I have this bike for two years now, and...
Fun fact, your posts were one of the reasons I started looking for RM.
Long story short, I have this bike for two years now, and I you would have to pry it from my death, cold hands to take it away from me.
Thank you Jeffro!!!
Right on Turbo! I feel the same way about mine. My RM has been sitting for quite some time , because I've been focused on my 125 and now my new 250. But I'm using my RM as my winter project , and she will be ready to rip come spring time. I miss riding that bike so freakin' much! I kick myself for not discovering those RM's , until a decade after they stopped making them. AARRGG!!.....I would have jumped off my 450's a very long time ago!
JMCR250
12/19/2018 5:54pm
I've owned my 05 CR250 since new. Yes, they are extremely durable with correct maintenance. The suspension/frame geometry are superb once you set the bike up for your ability/weight. I owned an '00 CR250, which I liked a lot (even more after I had FC fix the forks), but the 05 is hands down better and the motor is faster. The key to making the 05-07 run is to get the jetting dialed and make sure you stay on top of the RC valve cables. Most of the 3rd Gen CR250 owners I've seen/heard complain about their motors have no idea that they need to watch the tension on those cables, much less know how/what to do that. Go for it; you'll enjoy the bike a ton.
H4L
12/19/2018 5:54pm
cody41 wrote:
Agree about the RM250 being a death machine. Have owned a couple of 06 models with the 1st one being about 10 yrs. back. Even though it had RG3 suspension work done it was still pretty sketchy at higher speeds.

It's easier to tweak an engine than it is to fix a chassis..

Here is what MXA mag had to say about it..

" The question you have to ask yourself is are you willing to give up some sense of security at speed to be able to slice, dice and Julienne the competition in the corners? Answer yes and you have no choice but to race a Suzuki. It is the only bike that can walk the tightrope between brilliant and schizophrenic".

https://motocrossactionmag.com/mxas-2006-suzuki-rm250-test/
H4L
12/19/2018 6:29pm
BroFoSho wrote:
You're not buying a two-stroke for outright power, you're buying it for a fun-factor. Who cares if it's slow (compared to other two-strokes)? Sure you're giving...
You're not buying a two-stroke for outright power, you're buying it for a fun-factor. Who cares if it's slow (compared to other two-strokes)? Sure you're giving up a 3-4 HP to an RM, but your giving up 10+ to any 450. If you want a faster bike, buy a 450.

That said, the 02-07 CR chassis is dynamite and replacement/aftermarket parts are easy to be had.
The 05-07 CR250r engine made about 47hp atrw from the factory. JD jetting use to have a dyno chart of a CR2 that put out 49hp atrw with just fine tuning the carb with his needles. It's not down on power it's actually the opposite as the case reed engine design make about 3-5 hp more than the traditional cyl. reed induction. The KTM case reed engines from 03 + in that era were making about 49hp atrw due to having a better engine spec from the factory.

"Honda suffered a little with the novice group, as did the RM and YZ, compared with the KTM and KX. But as the rider's ability level increased, the Honda's lap times dropped. The KTM was consistently fast across the board. But the big surprise was that the YZ and KX, the bikes riders clearly picked as favorites, were just a tick slower when times were averaged".

https://www.dirtrider.com/tests/motocross-bikes/141_0503_2005_250cc_two…
H4L
12/19/2018 6:36pm

newmann
12/20/2018 5:50am
Buy the 2 stroke Honda for $2500.00.

Ride the 2 stroke Honda for a couple of years.

Sell the 2 stroke Honda for $2500.00.

I fail to see why we are even discussing why you don't already have this free bike in your garage.
Andy7
Fantasy
1312th
12/20/2018 6:48am
I came from a KX450F to a YZ250. If you are racing, the 450 may be an advantage, but not a huge one though. For everything else, the 250 is better for me. It will make you smile for no reason.
mirramaxx
12/20/2018 7:19pm
I'm picking it up tomorrow ! Can't wait! I'll post an update tomorrow !
mirramaxx
12/21/2018 11:48am
Smiles for miles with this bike. Just rode it around the house quick what a blast!

Best $2500 I've spent
Spudnut
12/21/2018 11:56am
HELL YEAH CONGRATS! That bike looks killer! Exactly how I felt with mine, came off a Kx250f and never looked back. Like mentioned you may have to try a little harder once a 2stroke but you have so much more fun it’s not even noticeable!
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
12/21/2018 12:00pm
Spudnut wrote:
HELL YEAH CONGRATS! That bike looks killer! Exactly how I felt with mine, came off a Kx250f and never looked back. Like mentioned you may have...
HELL YEAH CONGRATS! That bike looks killer! Exactly how I felt with mine, came off a Kx250f and never looked back. Like mentioned you may have to try a little harder once a 2stroke but you have so much more fun it’s not even noticeable!
After selling my 450 to go to a YZ250, I noticed I can be much more aggressive and I don't get tired nearly as quick. Ya I have to ride it harder, but it's actually fun to ride it aggressive and the weight difference is huge! It feels like a bicycle under me!
mirramaxx
12/21/2018 1:37pm
Spudnut wrote:
HELL YEAH CONGRATS! That bike looks killer! Exactly how I felt with mine, came off a Kx250f and never looked back. Like mentioned you may have...
mattyhamz2 wrote:
After selling my 450 to go to a YZ250, I noticed I can be much more aggressive and I don't get tired nearly as quick. Ya...
After selling my 450 to go to a YZ250, I noticed I can be much more aggressive and I don't get tired nearly as quick. Ya I have to ride it harder, but it's actually fun to ride it aggressive and the weight difference is huge! It feels like a bicycle under me!
That's the first thing I noticed when putting my tiedowns on. Feels like a bmx almost ! More to come as I need to make it my own. Wheels graphics etc!

Post a reply to: 450 to 250 2 stroke...(update) !

The Latest