43 Year Old Noob in NE PA

OldDirtNoob
Hey all,

Happy "you should be doing something nice for your wife and/or mother instead of on the internet talking about dirt bikes" day...

So title line says it all. But here's the long version. Never rode a motorcycle until I was 40. Got divorced bought a shiny red Ducati to park in front of Starbucks. I know, I know...

Did a couple of track days, got a S1KRR, dumped it on the track, sold it, bought a '13 ZX6R built it as a dedicated track bike. Rode 3 days last year... I love road course track days, but at $1000/weekend it's just to steep to ride as much as I'd like. Been wanting a dirty bike for a while (OK, since I was 9). My older stepbrother was a #1 ranked mx racer in Utah when I was a kid. Needless to say mom wasn't down with that and I got a horse instead...

Fast forward 34 years, I bought a dirty bike. The nice folks over at ThumperTalk had me all talked into a 2t woods bike (KTM 250 XC-W). Guys at work talked me into a 4t, and an mx bike. So I went 250 SX-F.

Needless to say dirt is way different than road course. My intermediate/b group status does not translate... So, before just rolling up to a local mx track I figured I'd get out and get some seat time. Unfortunately so far I've only connected with enduro riders. The couple of rides I've been on have convinced me that bouncing over rocks and dodging trees is not for me. So, looking for some like minded folks in my area to connect with and do some riding. I am sure there are some good places to ride mx bikes offroad besides practice days at the local track?

In order to help accelerate my learning curve, I have reached out to Greg Pamart for some private lessons on his track at his home. I'm a big fan of proper training rather than trial & error. I'm too old to learn mx the hard way...

Anyway, live near Mt. Top, PA? Want to hang out with an old noob? Have any advice to share about getting into mx in your 40s, hit me up.

Thanks,

Justin
|
3D
5/12/2019 5:47am
You're pretty close to me(35 minutes south of you) . I switched away from a lifetime of moto though. I'm the same age as you. I live in the heart of single track country if you decide you want to try it again. Frenchy will get you dialed for moto. I spent about 15 years getting beat by him.
OldDirtNoob
5/12/2019 5:57am
3D wrote:
You're pretty close to me(35 minutes south of you) . I switched away from a lifetime of moto though. I'm the same age as you. I...
You're pretty close to me(35 minutes south of you) . I switched away from a lifetime of moto though. I'm the same age as you. I live in the heart of single track country if you decide you want to try it again. Frenchy will get you dialed for moto. I spent about 15 years getting beat by him.
Thanks for the reply. I'm down to ride offroad but tight rocky single track is not for me. Bike has less than 3 hours on it and I've dumped it at least 6 times. Plastics are hashed and I broke my clutch lever. Mining roads, coal dirt, fast flowing stuff would be fun though. I have a permit to FRO and I've heard there is some good stuff at AOAA too.

Do you ride a mx bike offroad, or a woods bike?
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
5/12/2019 6:01am
Hey all, Happy "you should be doing something nice for your wife and/or mother instead of on the internet talking about dirt bikes" day... So title...
Hey all,

Happy "you should be doing something nice for your wife and/or mother instead of on the internet talking about dirt bikes" day...

So title line says it all. But here's the long version. Never rode a motorcycle until I was 40. Got divorced bought a shiny red Ducati to park in front of Starbucks. I know, I know...

Did a couple of track days, got a S1KRR, dumped it on the track, sold it, bought a '13 ZX6R built it as a dedicated track bike. Rode 3 days last year... I love road course track days, but at $1000/weekend it's just to steep to ride as much as I'd like. Been wanting a dirty bike for a while (OK, since I was 9). My older stepbrother was a #1 ranked mx racer in Utah when I was a kid. Needless to say mom wasn't down with that and I got a horse instead...

Fast forward 34 years, I bought a dirty bike. The nice folks over at ThumperTalk had me all talked into a 2t woods bike (KTM 250 XC-W). Guys at work talked me into a 4t, and an mx bike. So I went 250 SX-F.

Needless to say dirt is way different than road course. My intermediate/b group status does not translate... So, before just rolling up to a local mx track I figured I'd get out and get some seat time. Unfortunately so far I've only connected with enduro riders. The couple of rides I've been on have convinced me that bouncing over rocks and dodging trees is not for me. So, looking for some like minded folks in my area to connect with and do some riding. I am sure there are some good places to ride mx bikes offroad besides practice days at the local track?

In order to help accelerate my learning curve, I have reached out to Greg Pamart for some private lessons on his track at his home. I'm a big fan of proper training rather than trial & error. I'm too old to learn mx the hard way...

Anyway, live near Mt. Top, PA? Want to hang out with an old noob? Have any advice to share about getting into mx in your 40s, hit me up.

Thanks,

Justin
a large part of your dissatisfaction with the trail riding may have been the bike honestly. I'm not sure the 250 SX-F is a great first timer bike and it is probably the worst 250MX 4 stroke for trail riding. the suspension isn't valved correctly for woods and the motor isn't tuned for lower rpm woods lugging. But single track/trail isn't everyones cup of tea for sure.

hope someone in the area has some tips for good places to ride!
BobPA
5/12/2019 6:05am Edited Date/Time 5/12/2019 6:10am
I am from the Harvey’s Lake area. Half hour, or so, from you. I’ve got all kinds of stuff you can ride. From tight single track, to full moto....all close by as well.

The Shop

OldDirtNoob
5/12/2019 6:08am
Hey all, Happy "you should be doing something nice for your wife and/or mother instead of on the internet talking about dirt bikes" day... So title...
Hey all,

Thanks,

Justin
soggy wrote:
a large part of your dissatisfaction with the trail riding may have been the bike honestly. I'm not sure the 250 SX-F is a great first...
a large part of your dissatisfaction with the trail riding may have been the bike honestly. I'm not sure the 250 SX-F is a great first timer bike and it is probably the worst 250MX 4 stroke for trail riding. the suspension isn't valved correctly for woods and the motor isn't tuned for lower rpm woods lugging. But single track/trail isn't everyones cup of tea for sure.

hope someone in the area has some tips for good places to ride!
Yeah, totally get it's the wrong bike... but even with a more compliant suspension and better low-end lug, it would still not be my thing. I get some folks like the technical trials-type stuff. Not I... I want to go fast on dirt like I do on the road coarse. The few open areas I've hit and been able to open it up with the rear sliding around under me was a blast. I need more of that!
OldDirtNoob
5/12/2019 6:09am
BobPA wrote:
I am from the Harvey’s Lake area. Half hour, or so, from you. I’ve got all kinds of stuff you can ride. From tight single track...
I am from the Harvey’s Lake area. Half hour, or so, from you. I’ve got all kinds of stuff you can ride. From tight single track, to full moto....all close by as well.
PM me... If you're willing to put up with a noob, I'd love to get out and ride with you.
BobPA
5/12/2019 6:13am
BobPA wrote:
I am from the Harvey’s Lake area. Half hour, or so, from you. I’ve got all kinds of stuff you can ride. From tight single track...
PM me... If you're willing to put up with a noob, I'd love to get out and ride with you.
PM rarely work here, what’s your e-mail? I know of some wide open, fast, go style trails if you want to haul the mail haha. You’re actually lucky, NEPA has an incredibly large variety of riding within a short drive.
OldDirtNoob
5/12/2019 6:16am
BobPA wrote:
BobPA wrote:
PM rarely work here, what’s your e-mail? I know of some wide open, fast, go style trails if you want to haul the mail haha. You’re...
PM rarely work here, what’s your e-mail? I know of some wide open, fast, go style trails if you want to haul the mail haha. You’re actually lucky, NEPA has an incredibly large variety of riding within a short drive.
3D
5/12/2019 6:26am
3D wrote:
You're pretty close to me(35 minutes south of you) . I switched away from a lifetime of moto though. I'm the same age as you. I...
Thanks for the reply. I'm down to ride offroad but tight rocky single track is not for me. Bike has less than 3 hours on it...
Thanks for the reply. I'm down to ride offroad but tight rocky single track is not for me. Bike has less than 3 hours on it and I've dumped it at least 6 times. Plastics are hashed and I broke my clutch lever. Mining roads, coal dirt, fast flowing stuff would be fun though. I have a permit to FRO and I've heard there is some good stuff at AOAA too.

I have a ktm 300xc. The stuff we ride here in tamaqua is pretty brutal. There's a race here in June if you want to come check it out. Then another soon after that that they basically build for people not to finish. Last year I believe 8 out of 50 finalist made it to the end.
3D
5/12/2019 6:31am Edited Date/Time 5/12/2019 6:31am
Double post
OldDirtNoob
5/12/2019 7:03am
3D wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I'm down to ride offroad but tight rocky single track is not for me. Bike has less than 3 hours on it...

3D wrote:
I have a ktm 300xc. The stuff we ride here in tamaqua is pretty brutal. There's a race here in June if you want to come...
I have a ktm 300xc. The stuff we ride here in tamaqua is pretty brutal. There's a race here in June if you want to come check it out. Then another soon after that that they basically build for people not to finish. Last year I believe 8 out of 50 finalist made it to the end.
Nuts... Some of the stuff you see enduro and trials guys doing is impressive. It's kind of like road bike stunting to me. Impressive, obviously takes a tremendous amount of skill and dedication... however you'll never catch me doing it.
honda907
5/12/2019 8:07am
Evansville MX is real close to you. Google the website.

They even open the night track some Wednesdays about 3 or so till dark

The MX scene there is really casual. Not gonna find Loretta Lynn types there. Pickup trucks vans and trailers. Grassroots to the core. Real D class with real participants. Some jumps MUST be singled in the D class. Looks like a good starting place and the track is real novice and beginner friendly.

I would think it would be a great place to start.
OldDirtNoob
5/12/2019 8:14am
honda907 wrote:
Evansville MX is real close to you. Google the website. They even open the night track some Wednesdays about 3 or so till dark The MX...
Evansville MX is real close to you. Google the website.

They even open the night track some Wednesdays about 3 or so till dark

The MX scene there is really casual. Not gonna find Loretta Lynn types there. Pickup trucks vans and trailers. Grassroots to the core. Real D class with real participants. Some jumps MUST be singled in the D class. Looks like a good starting place and the track is real novice and beginner friendly.

I would think it would be a great place to start.
I work with a guy who said the same... just want to get a little seat time and maybe a lesson from Frenchie before I hit the track and embarrass myself or create a moving obstacle for everyone else... Thinking more about open practice days vs. races. Races in the 40+ D Class sound like fun. Maybe once I get a little more seat time.
brocster
5/12/2019 8:43am
Forget what others think of you. Thats a quick way to get hurt and lose interest. Don’t try and replicate what your friends do, it takes time and you will get there if you stay off the ground from over riding, trying to keep up or doing things that you shouldn’t be just yet just to attempt to save embarrassment. Your coach will show you things that you can then go work on in open riding areas as well as on the track. At that point seat time, upright is all you need.

Ride on!
DTR830
Fantasy
1057th
5/12/2019 9:17pm
I'm from Mountaintop as well. 570-606-7687 Text me i can include you on what tracks that everyone would be going to on the weekends. Hoping to be going to Jacksons pumpkin patch in Endicott this Saturday.
kage173
5/14/2019 7:11am
OP you get a huge win for the way you're approaching it and welcome to the motofamily. I say you get a win because you're seeking advice and following it. I've met so many people that just show up to the track with a shiny new 450 because they don't want to 'outgrow' a 250 or a 125 2T. They ride it once and almost kill themselves, then never show up again.

Glad you're on a 250F. That's an ok bike to get started on. Listen to the guy you're taking lessons from. Other than that it's seat time that will help you improve. It's not the funnest thing in the world, but just finding an open field and setting up some cones then going out and practicing the techniques he shows you is how you'll the fastest.

Not sure how mechanically inclined you are, but another thing that catches new guys off guard is the amount of work and maintenance a dirtbike requires. It's much more than road bikes. Buy a pressure washer and a good toolset. Follow the manual reasonably well (doesn't have to be exact) or your bike will start falling apart.

5/14/2019 7:53am
My advice was going to be to talk to Frenchie! I wish I would've hooked up with him right off the bat, I had to re-learn so many things I was doing wrong. Trained with him for a few years, and got much faster but much safer at the same time, which is huge.
Neverclear
5/14/2019 8:17am
Welcome!

Imho, MX573 is the place to go to just get moto seat-time. We've been going there since the mid 90's, and the new owner is really trying hard to work up a good surface each week. He's also been fixing the jump faces, which were rarely touched before he purchased it.

It's almost never busy, and for like $30 you can ride all day, anytime you want. They also allow overnight camping. I love the place. My son learned to moto there, now my grandson is spinning laps on the mini track. I like it way better than limited practice days at Evansville, Sleepy Hollow or Raceway Park.

Pad up & have fun..

https://www.facebook.com/mooresmoto573/

5/14/2019 8:32am
Neverclear wrote:
Welcome! Imho, MX573 is the place to go to just get moto seat-time. We've been going there since the mid 90's, and the new owner is...
Welcome!

Imho, MX573 is the place to go to just get moto seat-time. We've been going there since the mid 90's, and the new owner is really trying hard to work up a good surface each week. He's also been fixing the jump faces, which were rarely touched before he purchased it.

It's almost never busy, and for like $30 you can ride all day, anytime you want. They also allow overnight camping. I love the place. My son learned to moto there, now my grandson is spinning laps on the mini track. I like it way better than limited practice days at Evansville, Sleepy Hollow or Raceway Park.

Pad up & have fun..

https://www.facebook.com/mooresmoto573/

PLEASE SHARE
***MOORE'S MOTOCROSS IS CLOSED***
The Moore family would like to thank our riders for their support over the years. We are closing the business to start a new journey in our lives. Other tracks in the area to give you business to: Hurricane Hills, Broome Tioga, and Jackson's Pumpkin Farm.
Thank you to all our riders for your patronage,
Kevin
PLEASE SHARE
Neverclear
5/14/2019 9:42am
PLEASE SHARE ***MOORE'S MOTOCROSS IS CLOSED*** The Moore family would like to thank our riders for their support over the years. We are closing the business...
PLEASE SHARE
The Moore family would like to thank our riders for their support over the years. We are closing the business to start a new journey in our lives. Other tracks in the area to give you business to: Hurricane Hills, Broome Tioga, and Jackson's Pumpkin Farm.
Kevin
PLEASE SHARE
Oh no, that's heartbreaking. My kids & grandson are going to be really bummed.

If anyone in the area knows of a decent practice only track, please email me at parcans@aol.com.
DTR830
Fantasy
1057th
5/19/2019 5:08am
PLEASE SHARE ***MOORE'S MOTOCROSS IS CLOSED*** The Moore family would like to thank our riders for their support over the years. We are closing the business...
PLEASE SHARE
Kevin
PLEASE SHARE
Neverclear wrote:
Oh no, that's heartbreaking. My kids & grandson are going to be really bummed. If anyone in the area knows of a decent practice only track...
Oh no, that's heartbreaking. My kids & grandson are going to be really bummed.

If anyone in the area knows of a decent practice only track, please email me at parcans@aol.com.
Jackson’s in endicott NY. Same smaller turnout, much better dirt.
DTR830
Fantasy
1057th
5/19/2019 5:09am
kage173 wrote:
OP you get a huge win for the way you're approaching it and welcome to the motofamily. I say you get a win because you're seeking...
OP you get a huge win for the way you're approaching it and welcome to the motofamily. I say you get a win because you're seeking advice and following it. I've met so many people that just show up to the track with a shiny new 450 because they don't want to 'outgrow' a 250 or a 125 2T. They ride it once and almost kill themselves, then never show up again.

Glad you're on a 250F. That's an ok bike to get started on. Listen to the guy you're taking lessons from. Other than that it's seat time that will help you improve. It's not the funnest thing in the world, but just finding an open field and setting up some cones then going out and practicing the techniques he shows you is how you'll the fastest.

Not sure how mechanically inclined you are, but another thing that catches new guys off guard is the amount of work and maintenance a dirtbike requires. It's much more than road bikes. Buy a pressure washer and a good toolset. Follow the manual reasonably well (doesn't have to be exact) or your bike will start falling apart.

He rode well for his first time on a track & it was warm yesterday. Once I upload pics, I’ll get one in here.
OldDirtNoob
5/19/2019 5:46pm
BobPA wrote:
BobPA wrote:
PM rarely work here, what’s your e-mail? I know of some wide open, fast, go style trails if you want to haul the mail haha. You’re...
Hey Bob,

You can text me if you want to get out and ride. (801) 651-6708. Email is jlhanks@gmail.com.
OldDirtNoob
5/19/2019 5:47pm
kage173 wrote:
OP you get a huge win for the way you're approaching it and welcome to the motofamily. I say you get a win because you're seeking...

DTR830 wrote:
He rode well for his first time on a track & it was warm yesterday. Once I upload pics, I’ll get one in here.
I don't know about "well" but I had fun and met some good people. Thanks again!
kage173
5/19/2019 7:57pm
kage173 wrote:

DTR830 wrote:
I don't know about "well" but I had fun and met some good people. Thanks again!
That's awesome!
OldDirtNoob
5/24/2019 1:34pm
Headed to AOAA for the first time tomorrow. Anybody want to show me the best spots? Recommendations?

PS: Here's some noob pics from last weekend taken by DTR830...

cwtoyota
5/24/2019 2:06pm
Hey all,

Thanks,

Justin
Saw this topic at the top of the board... Incidentally, I was at the local track for Thursday afternoon practice yesterday. Was pitted up next to a real cool fella (I think he said he was age 47) who told me he had started riding when he was age 40. He said he's been on mountain bikes a long time.

Anyway, on track he seemed like a smooth safe rider and he looked like he was having fun.
Have fun and welcome to MX!

Post a reply to: 43 Year Old Noob in NE PA

The Latest