4 year old dies on a 700cc ATV

Edited Date/Time 7/15/2022 12:51pm
|
Crossup
7/14/2022 10:52am
The article says that the four-year-old had a six-year-old on the back when it rolled. Totally stupid.
Robbirob25
7/14/2022 11:00am
Hello... CPS. Yeah, we got another one.

Sad deal. Sorry for the child and the family, in spite lack of better judgement and responsibility.
Motodave15
7/14/2022 11:14am
A 4yr old shouldnt even be touching a bike that size period! My condolences to the kid not knowing any better. As for the parents.... Throw the book at that lack of forethought
Melicar
7/14/2022 11:51am
Obviously, the parent/s were stupid as fuck in this situation but I'm not willing to throw the book at them. Their life is ruined knowing how and why their child died anyway. We still don't know if the kids were on it with the parent's blessing or if someone left the key in it and the kids went for a joy ride.

The Shop

SINISALO
7/14/2022 11:56am
Ugh. This was 10 miles from where I grew up. Terrible.
nvkevin
7/14/2022 12:05pm
It’s amazing the lack of judgement some parents have these days. That poor kid.
Warlock
Fantasy
910th
7/14/2022 12:15pm
Driving on a gravel road on top of it. WTF?!?
plowboy
7/14/2022 1:08pm
nvkevin wrote:
It’s amazing the lack of judgement some parents have these days. That poor kid.
It's not nowadays. I've seen plenty of 6 and 8 year olds driving pickups, tractors and combines out in the country. Lots of "tragic" accidents no matter the days.
Ryno23
Fantasy
891st
7/14/2022 1:28pm
As a dealer if a person even suggests the 4 wheeler they are purchasing is for an underage rider we legally are required to terminate the sale. Everyone in my dealership that talks to customers has to take the ATV sales training course with Yamaha which explains the underage laws. The CPSC sends out "secret shoppers" to dealers sometimes trying to see if we are selling to known underage operators. So sad that a child lost their life let alone what negligence from the parents contributed to it.
VetRider97
7/14/2022 1:31pm
Another tragedy. RIP little man. .

See this shit everyday, kids on on big quads, no helmet or other protection and adults are doing the same. Everyone thinks there are just fun toys, . Think people would wise up, we read about this in Midwest all the time.
plowboy
7/14/2022 1:39pm
Ryno23 wrote:
As a dealer if a person even suggests the 4 wheeler they are purchasing is for an underage rider we legally are required to terminate the...
As a dealer if a person even suggests the 4 wheeler they are purchasing is for an underage rider we legally are required to terminate the sale. Everyone in my dealership that talks to customers has to take the ATV sales training course with Yamaha which explains the underage laws. The CPSC sends out "secret shoppers" to dealers sometimes trying to see if we are selling to known underage operators. So sad that a child lost their life let alone what negligence from the parents contributed to it.
I'm sure if those "parents" get turned down for spouting off that "little Johnny" is gonna have him a good time on this thing....they'll just go somewhere else or marketplace (since most of them can't get financed). Unless it's tax refund time...paid $800 dollars in tax...refund $7500. It used to burn my ass that I worked like a dog and got a $200 refund and my brother, that never got out of bed before noon, and never held a real job...would get nearly $10k back every year. Triggered I supposeBlush
Ryno23
Fantasy
891st
7/14/2022 2:08pm
plowboy wrote:
I'm sure if those "parents" get turned down for spouting off that "little Johnny" is gonna have him a good time on this thing....they'll just go...
I'm sure if those "parents" get turned down for spouting off that "little Johnny" is gonna have him a good time on this thing....they'll just go somewhere else or marketplace (since most of them can't get financed). Unless it's tax refund time...paid $800 dollars in tax...refund $7500. It used to burn my ass that I worked like a dog and got a $200 refund and my brother, that never got out of bed before noon, and never held a real job...would get nearly $10k back every year. Triggered I supposeBlush
I don't think " It used to burn my ass" means it doesn't still currently burn your ass. I hear ya man, it chaps my ass with the slacker mentality that thinks they should have what I work for as well. I have had a couple of employees that feel like I should pay them what I make cuz they are at work as many days a week as I am. I'm like REALLY? Did you invest all your money into this place? Guess what, this place closes down all you lose is a job, I lose my house. So what risk vs reward do you have in this place again??? Here's another thing, I'm an owner that won't ask an employee to do anything I won't do myself. Yeah, I clean bathrooms, sweep floors, and wash windows just like they do. In fact, I was changing tires for customers today cuz we were busy. And yet, some people still think I should just give it to them cuz they show up.

But we are completely off on a separate tangent there. This thread is about a boy that lost his life tragically. RIP to that young boy and my God rest his soul.
Janko630
7/14/2022 2:16pm
Robbirob25 wrote:
Hello... CPS. Yeah, we got another one.

Sad deal. Sorry for the child and the family, in spite lack of better judgement and responsibility.
State's Attorney, you donut.
Moto Nomad
7/14/2022 3:21pm
Ryno23 wrote:
As a dealer if a person even suggests the 4 wheeler they are purchasing is for an underage rider we legally are required to terminate the...
I used to sell bikes and people would come in to buy a big ATV for their kid. I'd say I can't sell it to them and they'd say "Okay, it's for me." I'd be like "Sorry, you already told me it was for your kid." Then they would get really pissed off.
Magoofan
Shadow Glen (for those who remember), CA US
7/14/2022 6:42pm
Tragic and horrible....

However....raise your hand if you grew up riding in the bed of mom and dads pickup truck on public roads...

TeamGreen
7/14/2022 7:15pm
Magoofan wrote:
Tragic and horrible.... However....raise your hand if you grew up riding in the bed of mom and dads pickup truck on public roads... [img]https://emojipedia-us.s3.dualstack.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/socialmedia/apple/198/raised-hand_270b.png[/img]
Tragic and horrible....

However....raise your hand if you grew up riding in the bed of mom and dads pickup truck on public roads...

Grandpa and uncles trucks...on the ranch.

Good times.

Learned to drive at 10 y/o in a manual 4 speed Blazer. Learned to pull a cow out of deep mud with it at age 11 (winch).

The little boy dying on the ATV is unbelievably sad.
user760a
7/14/2022 7:49pm
The grizzly 700 is a huge , 600+ pound 4x4 ATV with big power and an auto trans. The adult who allowed a four year old to ride this machine should be charged
Hcallz5
7/14/2022 8:17pm
my 8 year old niece died last summer doing this same exact thing. Sister in law thought 4 wheelers were "safer". Fact of the matter is she would still be alive if she was on a dirtbike not a huge hunting four wheeler.
jeffro503
7/14/2022 8:40pm
This is just terrible! What kind of parent thinks its ok to put a 4yr old at the helm of a 700cc machine? If they haven't been already , the parents , or whoever was there in charge of them kids , should be prosecuted. This is totally sad beyond belief.
chuck356
7/15/2022 5:05am
What nobody has mentioned is the fact that not only was a child of 4 riding a large machine, but he was riding 2 up with a 6 year old! Two people on an ATV is always a bad idea, but two young children? Sad story. ATV's are not toys.
SCAM124
Fantasy
2161st
7/15/2022 5:14am
Hcallz5 wrote:
my 8 year old niece died last summer doing this same exact thing. Sister in law thought 4 wheelers were "safer". Fact of the matter is...
my 8 year old niece died last summer doing this same exact thing. Sister in law thought 4 wheelers were "safer". Fact of the matter is she would still be alive if she was on a dirtbike not a huge hunting four wheeler.
Condolences to your family.

I have this same conversation a lot actually. We have a farm and I primarily maintain the "fleet" of quads, Bunch of kid sized atv's, 90's and 125's. We also have full size machines for hunting/farm chores.

Kids love it. BUT I get real nervous and verbal when the older kids get chippy on the bigger machines. I have to explain to the kid's AND parents: " easier to ride but more dangerous." Then the conversation about how riding dirtbikes is actually safer and that really challenges how they think about the danger. They don't know what they don't know.
DoctorJD
7/15/2022 5:59am
Hcallz5 wrote:
my 8 year old niece died last summer doing this same exact thing. Sister in law thought 4 wheelers were "safer". Fact of the matter is...
I can't tell you how many times I've had to argue with people (parents) about how much more dangerous ATVs are vs. motorcycles. I live in a rural area and it's commonplace to see small kids (sometimes several) riding these big farm ATVs. My line is: "The only time that ATV is safer than a motorcycle is when it's sitting still". They always give me a blank stare when I say that. People think of them like go-carts.
McG194
7/15/2022 6:14am
Darwin’s theory
That is a flip and stupid response.
Please explain how Darwin has anything to do with it. A small child is dead and it's no fault of his own. At 4 years old none of us had the skills and smarts to operate a 700cc 650 pound ATV.
resetjet
7/15/2022 6:29am
Hcallz5 wrote:
DoctorJD wrote:
I can't tell you how many times I've had to argue with people (parents) about how much more dangerous ATVs are vs. motorcycles. I live in...
I can't tell you how many times I've had to argue with people (parents) about how much more dangerous ATVs are vs. motorcycles. I live in a rural area and it's commonplace to see small kids (sometimes several) riding these big farm ATVs. My line is: "The only time that ATV is safer than a motorcycle is when it's sitting still". They always give me a blank stare when I say that. People think of them like go-carts.
Its true. People view atvs as less dangerous. They will jump on them and switch ride them all
Day when they would never sit on a motorcycle because it might tip over. This leads to these type of accidents. There is a long list.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
7/15/2022 8:35am
Ryno23 wrote:
Moto Nomad wrote:
I used to sell bikes and people would come in to buy a big ATV for their kid. I'd say I can't sell it to them...
I used to sell bikes and people would come in to buy a big ATV for their kid. I'd say I can't sell it to them and they'd say "Okay, it's for me." I'd be like "Sorry, you already told me it was for your kid." Then they would get really pissed off.
This. You have to stop the sale.

What sucks, however, is that the CPSC made the "appropriate" ATV sizes incorrectly. My 12-YO son has been riding a motorcycle since he was 4, and he's large enough and skilled enough to ride a CR500 most likely. He's only now legally able to operate an 80cc quad, however. Those things are far too small for him and would be more dangerous than a larger ATV. The rules need some adjustment.
byke
7/15/2022 9:44am
Melicar wrote:
Obviously, the parent/s were stupid as fuck in this situation but I'm not willing to throw the book at them. Their life is ruined knowing how...
Obviously, the parent/s were stupid as fuck in this situation but I'm not willing to throw the book at them. Their life is ruined knowing how and why their child died anyway. We still don't know if the kids were on it with the parent's blessing or if someone left the key in it and the kids went for a joy ride.
Nine times out of ten, the DA won't charge the parents in these situations when there is clearly no malicious intent, even though child endangerment is likely a slam dunk in a case like this. They figure that the suffering that's already occurring is much greater than anything they could do in court.
7/15/2022 9:52am
Magoofan wrote:
Tragic and horrible.... However....raise your hand if you grew up riding in the bed of mom and dads pickup truck on public roads... [img]https://emojipedia-us.s3.dualstack.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/socialmedia/apple/198/raised-hand_270b.png[/img]
Tragic and horrible....

Is that really equivalent to letting a four year old ride a 700cc quad?
gt80rider
7/15/2022 10:03am
A lot of people throwing stones here... a lot that have happily strapped a 3/4/5 yr old to a new race bike....

I grew up different.... I was raking fields with a JD H tractor at 5.... by myself... and truthfully, that was not odd... most of the boys around me were in the same boat...

i learned to ride a bicycle a couple months after that... and an MC a few months after that....

at 7... well.. it was time to learn to drive our farm's 70s stick F150.... that didn't end so well, i actually ended up sliding into a dozer.... LOL... but yet I learned (i think my dad learned more on that one though!)...

put down your pitch forks people... mistakes were made... by me... by you.. as well as by every single parent on this planet...

Post a reply to: 4 year old dies on a 700cc ATV

The Latest