4 stroke to 2 - Need your advice

Related:
Create New Tag

3/14/2017 5:29 AM

Been on this site for a while but have always watched from the sidelines however now I could do with some advice.

Quick background: 26 years old, have only been riding for about 4 years. Started out on a KX125 for about 2 weeks before I made the move the 250Fs and have been there since, currently riding a 2013 KXF 250. I have recently started thinking about going to a 125 for a number of reasons. Firstly for the pure fun factor and also think it could benefit my riding due to the change in style.

My main question is: has anyone who has changed from 4 to 2 stroke noticed much of a change in their riding for better ot worse? I cannot make any comparison myself as I have really only ever ridden 4 stroke. I reckon the big weight saving and lack of engine braking etc may work in my favour but will it be harder to ride to the point where it will hinder my performance?

I am currently grade C in my country which may equal grade D in the states. If I was to change I would be looking at a 16/17 Husky or KTM.

Any tips/pointers would be massively appreciated as I don't want to make the change and regret it.

Thanks and good to meet you all!

Gary

|

3/14/2017 6:01 AM

I went from 4 to 2 from previously doing the 2 to 4. My riding was better because you can't ride a 4 like a 2, especially a 450.

WIll the 125 make you a better rider? Well that depends if you put the effort in. You can become a better rider with the bike you have.

I see plenty of C/D riders bullshitting around on a 125, are they getting better, hell no. Of course they are riding, and that's cool, but proper technique and effort needs to be applied to get better regardless of the machine.

|

3/14/2017 6:12 AM

Markee wrote:

I went from 4 to 2 from previously doing the 2 to 4. My riding was better because you can't ride a 4 like a 2, especially a 450.

WIll the 125 make you a better rider? Well that depends if you put the effort in. You can become a better rider with the bike you have.

I see plenty of C/D riders bullshitting around on a 125, are they getting better, hell no. Of course they are riding, and that's cool, but proper technique and effort needs to be applied to get better regardless of the machine.

Ah cool so did the 2 stroke just suit your riding style better?

I probably worded my original post a bit poorly. I'm not expecting the 125 to make me a better ride per say, more so I am curious if the different way in which the bike rides will suit my style better. Obviously the 2 stroke will have less power but I am thinking that unless I am on the pipe of a 4 stroke and ringing the neck off it then I dont necessarily need all the extra power.

|

3/14/2017 6:13 AM

Sold my rmz 450 a month ago and bought a yz250 and no regrets at all. I do however find myself wanting another 4 stroke but I will keep the 2 stroke until I can afford to have two bikes. There are pros and cons to both. I honestly enjoy 2 strokes more but sometimes miss the pure power of a 4 banger

|

3/14/2017 6:49 AM

I recently got a 125 but still have my 250f. I think the 125 has tremendously helped my corner speed and momentum. Also when I go back to the 250f makes it seem much easier to go fast consistently.

|

3/14/2017 6:50 AM

AlexB289 wrote:

Sold my rmz 450 a month ago and bought a yz250 and no regrets at all. I do however find myself wanting another 4 stroke but I will keep the 2 stroke until I can afford to have two bikes. There are pros and cons to both. I honestly enjoy 2 strokes more but sometimes miss the pure power of a 4 banger

I agree with this. I went all 4T and am now back to all 2T. I do miss the 4T some days at the track.

|

3/14/2017 6:51 AM

AlexB289 wrote:

Sold my rmz 450 a month ago and bought a yz250 and no regrets at all. I do however find myself wanting another 4 stroke but I will keep the 2 stroke until I can afford to have two bikes. There are pros and cons to both. I honestly enjoy 2 strokes more but sometimes miss the pure power of a 4 banger



This should solve your power needs.
|

3/14/2017 7:08 AM

Markee wrote:

I went from 4 to 2 from previously doing the 2 to 4. My riding was better because you can't ride a 4 like a 2, especially a 450.

WIll the 125 make you a better rider? Well that depends if you put the effort in. You can become a better rider with the bike you have.

I see plenty of C/D riders bullshitting around on a 125, are they getting better, hell no. Of course they are riding, and that's cool, but proper technique and effort needs to be applied to get better regardless of the machine.

GaryC1 wrote:

Ah cool so did the 2 stroke just suit your riding style better?

I probably worded my original post a bit poorly. I'm not expecting the 125 to make me a better ride per say, more so I am curious if the different way in which the bike rides will suit my style better. Obviously the 2 stroke will have less power but I am thinking that unless I am on the pipe of a 4 stroke and ringing the neck off it then I dont necessarily need all the extra power.

I grew up riding 2 strokes. We create habits and riding styles. So when riding the 4 stroke for the first time, my habits didn't apply well.

But that was just lack of experience on the 450. I now have learned what you can apply and what not to. But I've been back on 2 strokes for 3 years. For me it just works, 250 is just a awesome MX weapon. I mis 2 things, fuel injection and that linear power in the turns. I don't mis oil changes, the weight and that god awful sound.

|

3/14/2017 7:12 AM

AlexB289 wrote:

Sold my rmz 450 a month ago and bought a yz250 and no regrets at all. I do however find myself wanting another 4 stroke but I will keep the 2 stroke until I can afford to have two bikes. There are pros and cons to both. I honestly enjoy 2 strokes more but sometimes miss the pure power of a 4 banger

doghouse wrote:

This should solve your power needs.

If you find one let me know, I see you are in Va beach, I'm in suffolk.

Have been looking and missing out on what has popped up on craigslist. 757620nine five 3 eight.

|

3/14/2017 7:32 AM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

I recently got a 125 but still have my 250f. I think the 125 has tremendously helped my corner speed and momentum. Also when I go back to the 250f makes it seem much easier to go fast consistently.

Yea corner speed is the main thing I was thinking it woud maybe improve and also wondered if it would give better confidence due to the weight difference. I know the main thing people mention if going from 4 to 2 stroke would be the power difference but I can't help but feel that there is still plenty of power in a 125, it's just about using it right. I've seen your thread for your 2 KTMs, really nice builds! Would you say there would be a big difference in laptimes and if so is the fun factor enough to ignore the difference?

|

3/14/2017 7:36 AM

Markee wrote:

I went from 4 to 2 from previously doing the 2 to 4. My riding was better because you can't ride a 4 like a 2, especially a 450.

WIll the 125 make you a better rider? Well that depends if you put the effort in. You can become a better rider with the bike you have.

I see plenty of C/D riders bullshitting around on a 125, are they getting better, hell no. Of course they are riding, and that's cool, but proper technique and effort needs to be applied to get better regardless of the machine.

GaryC1 wrote:

Ah cool so did the 2 stroke just suit your riding style better?

I probably worded my original post a bit poorly. I'm not expecting the 125 to make me a better ride per say, more so I am curious if the different way in which the bike rides will suit my style better. Obviously the 2 stroke will have less power but I am thinking that unless I am on the pipe of a 4 stroke and ringing the neck off it then I dont necessarily need all the extra power.

Markee wrote:

I grew up riding 2 strokes. We create habits and riding styles. So when riding the 4 stroke for the first time, my habits didn't apply well.

But that was just lack of experience on the 450. I now have learned what you can apply and what not to. But I've been back on 2 strokes for 3 years. For me it just works, 250 is just a awesome MX weapon. I mis 2 things, fuel injection and that linear power in the turns. I don't mis oil changes, the weight and that god awful sound.

Haha I would have to say I like the noise of some 4 strokes but there's still nothing like the sound of a 2 stroke and the weight saving is the main thing drawing me to the 125. I had thought about a 250t but think that would be a bit much for the way I ride. Ideally think I could do with riding someones for a day and feeling it out from there, it's just real hard to find someone who has one that would be willing to let a stranger on it.

|

3/14/2017 7:39 AM

I rode four strokes for 10 years before switching to a 2 stroke 250. I have improved my corner technique tremendously, as well as learning to attack more and just generally carrying more speed. I love a 450, but they made me a lazy rider. I am building a RM 125 right now, there isn't a more fun bike to ride in my opinion.

|

3/14/2017 7:46 AM

Just the thought of riding a 2 stroke makes me tired.

|

"Who cares about what other people think"

3/14/2017 7:47 AM

I've been riding for over 20 years. Started on two strokes, then went to four strokes. For the past 4 years I've been riding two stroke 250s. At first I had thought I made a mistake and was going to hate the two stroke again. But I ground through it, dealt with some days I felt slow, and now I'm faster than I ever have been. I can get back on a 250F and feel like a total hero on it. Soon, I will be getting a 250F so I can ride both.

As much as I love a 125, at 190 pounds riding weight, they don't make a lot of sense for me. Maybe one day I'll get another, but there's other bikes I want before I go that route.

|

3/14/2017 9:09 AM

JBecker 72 wrote:

I've been riding for over 20 years. Started on two strokes, then went to four strokes. For the past 4 years I've been riding two stroke 250s. At first I had thought I made a mistake and was going to hate the two stroke again. But I ground through it, dealt with some days I felt slow, and now I'm faster than I ever have been. I can get back on a 250F and feel like a total hero on it. Soon, I will be getting a 250F so I can ride both.

As much as I love a 125, at 190 pounds riding weight, they don't make a lot of sense for me. Maybe one day I'll get another, but there's other bikes I want before I go that route.

I'm only about 160 pounds myself so think a 125 would suit well plus from what I've heard 250s are a nice big handful so wouldn't want to bite off more than I can chew.

|

3/14/2017 9:18 AM

When i go from my kx450 to my yz250, it feels like im riding a pig. While riding and lifting the bikes onto stands, my 250 feels as heavy if not heavier than my 450 to me and my brother. Im not even sure the 250 is more fun or benefits anything at all in the grand scheme of things. I know everyone says 2 strokes are harder and are more fun but i havent seen it to a measurable degree. Not saying its less fun by any means. i know youre riding light bikes, and all i can say is 125s suck ass in freshly ripped dirt. I sold my 125 real quick after i went from woods to mx.

|

2009 Kawasaki KX450F
2009 Kawasaki KX250F
2002 Suzuki GSXR 600

3/14/2017 9:25 AM

GaryC1 wrote:

Been on this site for a while but have always watched from the sidelines however now I could do with some advice.

Quick background: 26 years old, have only been riding for about 4 years. Started out on a KX125 for about 2 weeks before I made the move the 250Fs and have been there since, currently riding a 2013 KXF 250. I have recently started thinking about going to a 125 for a number of reasons. Firstly for the pure fun factor and also think it could benefit my riding due to the change in style.

My main question is: has anyone who has changed from 4 to 2 stroke noticed much of a change in their riding for better ot worse? I cannot make any comparison myself as I have really only ever ridden 4 stroke. I reckon the big weight saving and lack of engine braking etc may work in my favour but will it be harder to ride to the point where it will hinder my performance?

I am currently grade C in my country which may equal grade D in the states. If I was to change I would be looking at a 16/17 Husky or KTM.

Any tips/pointers would be massively appreciated as I don't want to make the change and regret it.

Thanks and good to meet you all!

Gary

it'll take a few laps to get used to the bike. and about a month of riding to get the timing down (like being in the right gear and being aggressive)

you have to ride even more aggressively than on a 250f for what feels like less return.

The fun factor stems from holding it wide open the whole time and it being so light

|

"If you feel in control, you're not going fast enough" ~Mario Andretti

3/14/2017 10:59 AM

I just went from 450F to 125 for at least this season, what I notice is that I can ride more aggressive because I know if it gets out of shape I can get it back in line. I also know that I have to ride it more aggressively if I'm trying to go fast. I race and I know I will pay a little bit in laptimes, but I can also hold a more consistent pace later on the 125 because I don't get as tired. I love the lightweight feel, my 125 is 50 lbs lighter than my RMZ 450. 50 freaking lbs. I'm also 160ish.

|

3/14/2017 11:38 AM

You will learn to rev the bike a lot higher to keep it in a more narrow powerband. As a result you will get a lot better at choosing lines because you're going to need to carry as much momentum as possible through corners.

|

3/14/2017 7:10 PM

Recently went from a 2015 Husky FC250 to a 2017 Husky TC125 and I think it's definitely improved my corner speed, taught me to carry momentum better, as well as improved clutch and throttle control.

|

3/14/2017 7:27 PM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

I recently got a 125 but still have my 250f. I think the 125 has tremendously helped my corner speed and momentum. Also when I go back to the 250f makes it seem much easier to go fast consistently.

GaryC1 wrote:

Yea corner speed is the main thing I was thinking it woud maybe improve and also wondered if it would give better confidence due to the weight difference. I know the main thing people mention if going from 4 to 2 stroke would be the power difference but I can't help but feel that there is still plenty of power in a 125, it's just about using it right. I've seen your thread for your 2 KTMs, really nice builds! Would you say there would be a big difference in laptimes and if so is the fun factor enough to ignore the difference?

Thanks man, I'm really grateful to have those 2 KTMs, really motivates me to work hard ya know.

As far as lap times, I'm sure the 250f is faster because the power is so instant instead of building up with a 125. But everytime I ride the 125, i'm shocked at how much power there is when you are in it. Blows my mind that 130lbs, 16 year old would ride that, hahaha. I can jump pretty much everything on my 125 that I would want to jump or at least get close with seat bouncing, I don't really like big jumps anyways. The most rewarding feeling on a 125 is hitting some really nice turns fast or keeping up with someone on a 450, it must drive them up the wall hearing us ringing it out behind them.

|

3/14/2017 7:30 PM

mark_swart wrote:

I just went from 450F to 125 for at least this season, what I notice is that I can ride more aggressive because I know if it gets out of shape I can get it back in line. I also know that I have to ride it more aggressively if I'm trying to go fast. I race and I know I will pay a little bit in laptimes, but I can also hold a more consistent pace later on the 125 because I don't get as tired. I love the lightweight feel, my 125 is 50 lbs lighter than my RMZ 450. 50 freaking lbs. I'm also 160ish.

Yeah I'm 160lbs also, trying to get to 155 for race season hahaha.

My 250 doesn't feel dramatically lighter when riding, it almost feels more planted because of the weight if that makes sense. I notice the 125 weight in tight turns back to back you can throw it around like a mountain bike, change directions so easy.

|