4+ kids and still ride?

burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
Edited Date/Time 4/22/2014 3:57am
I'm just curious how many on here have four or more kids and still ride every weekend, and go on weekend long riding trips? Give me some tips.
|
Socket946
4/21/2014 12:46pm Edited Date/Time 4/21/2014 12:46pm
That's big money and TIME to do so.

I can barely manage riding just myself, and have 1 kid that has ZERO interest in riding.
kevingent55
4/21/2014 1:15pm
I didn't ride for over 17 years while we raised the 4 kids. They're all grown, but I only get to ride occasionally now.
mxb2
4/21/2014 1:19pm
divorce then ride every other weekend. lol , jk bro , sounds expensive to take a family to ride a track,unless you have a local private track.
4/21/2014 1:34pm
I'm still paying in spades just for my three hour trip out to the track to watch a couple motos yesterday, while she is pregnant. Sometimes when a woman says " go ahead," she really means "don't you effing dare."
My daughter is not here yet, but my racing days are already fading into the musty recesses of my memory.
It's hard to justify money on the scooter with a new mouth to feed, unless you're rich.

The Shop

Socket946
4/21/2014 1:36pm
I'm still paying in spades just for my three hour trip out to the track to watch a couple motos yesterday, while she is pregnant. Sometimes...
I'm still paying in spades just for my three hour trip out to the track to watch a couple motos yesterday, while she is pregnant. Sometimes when a woman says " go ahead," she really means "don't you effing dare."
My daughter is not here yet, but my racing days are already fading into the musty recesses of my memory.
It's hard to justify money on the scooter with a new mouth to feed, unless you're rich.
1 kid is easy mode. When you start piling on, it gets bad,

That said, you really need to speak with your lady, nothing fun to look forward to is no way to live. If I didn't have something to do, I would lose it.
DanDunes818
4/21/2014 1:54pm
I'm 42, have 4 girls and my first boy due in June. I don't ride every weekend, but I do own a bike, ride like 7-10x's a year and race 3-4 x's a year. Don't have time, money or energy for much more than that, but with my 7yr old daughter getting more into it I may ride more this season.

Advice? Don't stop living just because you have kids.
Fleece192
4/21/2014 2:50pm
Did 3 boys for 9years including my self racing almost every weekend back in the 90s when gas was under 2 bucks. And no 4 strokes. Was a track club member that helped a lot ...I do not think that would happen today. Good Luck.....
Titan1
4/21/2014 3:07pm Edited Date/Time 4/21/2014 3:09pm
I have 4 kids...

Race a hare and hound on the 12th...rode this past Saturday...will likely ride on Wednesday. Will race a national hare and hound on the 3rd...then another hare and hound on the 17th. Hopefully ride in between at least once.

My goal is once a week to get out...even if only for a few hours....that happens sometimes (like now) and other times I'll go months between rides.

It just depends on the kids schedules, wifes mood, work, how well our newborn sleeps at night (which isn't a lot right now), and other obligations...it sure isn't easy...but its a matter of priorities...and in order to do it, I have to put riding above sleep on the priority list (I'll be hitting the road at 6:30 AM in order to get a ride in on Wednesday), and my yard looks like crap (needs fertilizer, weeds pulled, and mowed).

Priorities, priorities.
Titan1
4/21/2014 4:59pm
And for tips...the BIGGEST thing with me getting riding time (without getting a cold shoulder from the wife), is I have to schedule it as far in advance as possible. For races...as soon as the schedule is posted, I go over it with her and tell her the days I'm going to be gone...for riding days, I give as much notice as possible.

She'll let me do whatever I want, but its as much a courtesy to her as anything...our kids are busy (dance, soccer, school things, etc.) so it helps her-and me, because I try and make all the dance recitals, and soccer games, and school things-to plan ahead...and it also sets an expectation well in advance that I'll be gone that day...and I also try and be courteous to her, and if kids are sick or she is sick, or she has a million things going on, I call off the riding and help her out. I love to ride dirt bikes (and LOVE LOVE to race dirt bikes), but they aren't more important than my family...

The next thing is include her and the kids...I took them out to the first hare and hound last weekend...and it changed her attitude a bit about it. She likes it, the kids like it...so if they can come its now a "family outing" rather than a "hobby" (even though I'm the only one that rides). I'm not sure how many they will come out to (since we have a 5 month old...and the middle of nowhere just isn't all the fun with a 5 month old).

Anyway...I'd be lying if I said we didn't have an argument or five hundred about me riding...but I loved dirt bikes before I loved her, so she just has to deal with it (and NO, I've never told her that before...and I don't plan on ever telling her that. lol)...
Hman144
Fantasy
713th
4/21/2014 5:26pm
Four kids and the riding had become secondary to family stuff by about the third one. My son is now 19 and he rides but not competitively. So we go out for practice sessions every couple of weeks.

Cuts down on the parts bill, but also lets the skill sets soften.

I'm getting the itch to hit the bomber class one of these fine days...

H
munsch121
4/21/2014 8:16pm
burn1986 wrote:
I'm just curious how many on here have four or more kids and still ride every weekend, and go on weekend long riding trips? Give me...
I'm just curious how many on here have four or more kids and still ride every weekend, and go on weekend long riding trips? Give me some tips.
my kids have no interest in riding so when I go its solo. Its all about your wife and desire to ride. If she supports it and you have the desire to do it, you will find the finances to make it happen....that my feeling on it. I have more desire to ride now at 38 with 3 kids than I did at 19 with nothing but a job.
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
4/21/2014 8:50pm Edited Date/Time 4/21/2014 9:00pm
Excellent excellent tips. We sold the bikes recently, but it's only temporary. One is in to tennis and and the other two don't really have much interest. One wants to go ride all the time. I told them we would try and get back to it after the first of the year. I am amazed by the wisdom and good advice. You guys are on the top of my list. I appreciate it!

BTW a friend of mine Todd Weindell through 2strokeMX just bought a brand new Husky 250 2-stroke today.
yz414
4/21/2014 9:49pm
my old man rides about 10-15X a year with 7 kids, (six girls plus me) until about 3 years ago he would take me almost every weekend racing and he'd race himself too.

now that he doesn't have to haul my ass all over the place he only does select races and rides whenever possible

dont ask me how he did it but if you love riding you will find a way for it to work
hillbilly
4/22/2014 3:57am
My girls don't ride. But,what I did for peace of mind while I raced was took out a million dollar life insurance policy.

It paid if I died racing,when driving a 74 motohome 10 hrs or pulling on a full gate it was comforting to know,

If I eat the big moto dirt sandwich that my kids were set.

Post a reply to: 4+ kids and still ride?

The Latest