4-Strokes making racing better?

jmx411
Edited Date/Time 12/20/2013 8:33am
I constantly read that racing was so much better when it was just 2strokes. I have to disagree, look at the parity in the last decade. The amount of riders that can win on any giving weekend has never been better. I think it has to be because the 4-stroke is a better machine and evens the playing field.

I think with the economy starting to improve and with Feld and MX Sports taking this sport to levels it has never been before that the sport is going to be bigger than ever.
|
usp4u
12/18/2013 12:09pm
What an interesting and thought provoking idea for a thread.

Thread Of The Year
12/18/2013 1:06pm
yes..the playing field is so even.. that honda hasnt won a big bouy title in sx or mx in a decade....
hellion
12/18/2013 1:13pm
Yeah it's great having half the field injured half way through the season...........and a quarter of it before it even starts.

The Shop

jonesaustin
12/18/2013 1:26pm Edited Date/Time 12/18/2013 1:27pm
the additional speed (mph) changes the dynamic of the fight. there's definitely something good about it, i've come to embrace it a lot more, but i think the 2 strokes were more interesting to see race. dogfights evolved after WWII, at the dawn of the jet age, but something about how the prop planes engaged each other was more interesting (not that it's a good comparison because people are dying in that scenario).

there's more to the 2 stroke than sound, but the violence in how the motor performs was a "star" of the show. all in all, recent racing has been good but the speed is just so high that it's a little more terrifying and a little less awesome, imho.
bvm111
12/18/2013 1:29pm
the economy is improving?

who told you that?

wow, really?
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2475th
12/18/2013 1:30pm
Only 17 Days or so to go maybe then Honda as one of the big five can win their first title in 10 years giving 5 manufactures a title in 10 years the perfect sign of parity! though four out of five is not bad!

Dazzlindino how many manufactures won title between 1993 and 2003? I doubt it was five!

Also ooking forward to a comprehensive list of injured riders pre season in the past ten years compared to the final 10 years of two stroke only competition by Hellion to prove his point is correct. Should make for some interesting reading and really prove a point either way one way or the other, OR maybe we will realize that riders used to crash on two strokes as well, I know I know I should not be so ridiculous, Two strokes Motorcycles don't crash.

Bring on A1 already
12/18/2013 1:41pm
Dazzlindino how many manufactures won title between 1993 and 2003? I doubt it was five!

haha, those titles dont count, cause they were on 2 strokes....
12/18/2013 1:45pm
Why the eff do they have to be so fast though? These bikes are way too powerful right now.
jtomasik
12/18/2013 1:53pm
The off-season really sucks. This thread is proof.
machine
12/18/2013 2:49pm
I love it when someone comes up with a new idea for a thread that hasn't already been beat to death....
downard254
12/18/2013 3:31pm
I'll see if I can compress the next 10 pages of this thread for future readers to save time:

"4-strokes making racing better?"

Yes, they're awesome,
No, they're killing the sport,
Yea, name one instance,
I can name several you butthead,
Oh, calling names now you jackoff,
Your mother,
No, your mother,
Blah, blah, blah,
AngryBlinkShockedCoolWoohooEvilPinchSad
Jakes Dad
12/18/2013 3:35pm
"Economy getting better" hmmm

Bike counts at races here are at an all time low. Mini O's down 500 entries from last year, so you were saying?
12/18/2013 4:09pm
From 1996-2003 mini os grew and grew and grew. It went from the Grand Prix event starting in the field next to the mx track to that being full and motorhomes parked in adjacent fields. Entries went up and up and up.

With them going down that says something about the economy and cost of our sport.
GIwasB4
12/18/2013 4:15pm
From 1996-2003 mini os grew and grew and grew. It went from the Grand Prix event starting in the field next to the mx track to...
From 1996-2003 mini os grew and grew and grew. It went from the Grand Prix event starting in the field next to the mx track to that being full and motorhomes parked in adjacent fields. Entries went up and up and up.

With them going down that says something about the economy and cost of our sport.
Have you been to the O's? Recently?
Ctrefz787
12/18/2013 4:19pm
It seems to me, and its my opinion. It took a lot of skill to race the 2 stroke. The four stroke has leveled the playing field because of its tractor like feel. The 2 stroke is lighter and takes a little more skill due to its violent powerband. I don't believe the racing would be as good if every top pro was racing a 2 stroke. I personally would rather listen to the sound of 20 riders on 2 strokes in supercross.
JM485
12/18/2013 5:40pm
You probably wouldn't see as many riders battling for wins, but you would see better racing between the few that were, especially outdoors. Just watch any older race, and the excitement level seems to be higher. Not that the racing isn't good today, because it really is great, but I think it could still be better.
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
12/18/2013 7:42pm Edited Date/Time 12/18/2013 7:43pm
It's not the stroke of a bike that makes better racing, but the displacement. 125s had the best racing, and 500s probably the least interesting racing. So, all the others are somewhere in between.
jonesaustin
12/18/2013 7:50pm Edited Date/Time 12/18/2013 7:53pm
burn1986 wrote:
It's not the stroke of a bike that makes better racing, but the displacement. 125s had the best racing, and 500s probably the least interesting racing...
It's not the stroke of a bike that makes better racing, but the displacement. 125s had the best racing, and 500s probably the least interesting racing. So, all the others are somewhere in between.
you have a good point. it's also the weight and agility, plus the engine performance. all in all dicier, better tools for carving up dirt and keeping the battle close together. 450s are close together for a split second and then it's gone, a lot more like modern jet fighters compared with p51 mustangs.
Mtek
12/18/2013 8:11pm
Just my opinion, modern four strokes make for better TV...triples out of corners and such, the tracks are much more entertaining for those not "into" SX or bikes in general. For this reason alone, I feel like its better, the sport needs viewers, sponsorships, etc.
Katoomey
12/18/2013 8:21pm
downard254 wrote:
I'll see if I can compress the next 10 pages of this thread for future readers to save time: "4-strokes making racing better?" Yes, they're awesome...
I'll see if I can compress the next 10 pages of this thread for future readers to save time:

Yes, they're awesome,
Yea, name one instance,
Your mother,
No, your mother,
Blah, blah, blah,
thats almost every thread on this website.

if i said the sky was blue the thread would end up exactly like that.

watch, someone will not read this down here, and they will try to be sarcastic and argue that the sky isnt blue. it will be the smartest, wittiest thing you've ever heard. more than likely the person will be a professional stand up comedian.
12/18/2013 8:21pm
When is a 40,000$ 250f engine leveling the playing field for the privateers? Payton says this is how much
a top 10 engine costs. Anyway the bikes have gotten so good and just like in other sports such as F-1 they reduce
the redline or engine size to keep the sport safer. I think a 175cc four and 2 stroke stoke and 300 4 and 2 stroke open class will help with the injury issue a fair amount. Or drop the 4 stroke hype all together. Some porting, and a pipe is a whole lot less expensive on a 2 stroke than a 4 stroke. Honda is a major player on the ama racing committee and they pushed the 4 stroke coolade. They can take a hike if they won't build another 2 stroke race bike.

5 manufactures won championships between 1993 and 2003, just as the last 10 years.
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
4018th
12/18/2013 8:29pm
I don't think there's that much parody. There's really not to many guys that can win on a given night if you think about it. RV wins most all the races except a few here & there in the beginning of the season. Once he gets going, the season is over. RD always in 2nd & the parody is from 3-10th...

We say this every season, oh the parody!! Then RV ruins our sport, again...Dizzy
jmx411
12/19/2013 6:42am
Enjoyed reading comments. I go back and watch alot of old races and I don't get the same enjoyment watching the 2strokes and old style of moto as I do now.

The riders now have so much more flow and style. I think there are more injuries now bc of the way the sport has evolved with trying to scrub everything. You have to ride on the edge and attack more than ever in this sport.
12/19/2013 6:59am
I don't think there's that much parody. There's really not to many guys that can win on a given night if you think about it. RV...
I don't think there's that much parody. There's really not to many guys that can win on a given night if you think about it. RV wins most all the races except a few here & there in the beginning of the season. Once he gets going, the season is over. RD always in 2nd & the parody is from 3-10th...

We say this every season, oh the parody!! Then RV ruins our sport, again...Dizzy
Not to be a schoolmarm, but the word you are thinking of is "parity."
Parody is a piece of art that mimics another in a humorous way.
TRON
12/19/2013 7:11am Edited Date/Time 12/19/2013 7:12am
downard254 wrote:
I'll see if I can compress the next 10 pages of this thread for future readers to save time: "4-strokes making racing better?" Yes, they're awesome...

Yes, they're awesome,
Yea, name one instance,
Your mother,
No, your mother,
Blah, blah, blah,
Katoomey wrote:
thats almost every thread on this website. if i said the sky was blue the thread would end up exactly like that. watch, someone will not...

watch, someone will not read this down here, and they will try to be sarcastic and argue that the sky isnt blue. it will be the smartest, wittiest thing you've ever heard. more than likely the person will be a professional stand up comedian.
Scientifically speaking, the sky isn't blue. The "sky" is made up of particles, 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and the rest is other random chemicals. The reason we see the blue is because the light coming in to our atmosphere is absorbed and reflected by the gasses that make up air. The light coming in is white, but since white is made up of all colors put together, we can see the individual colors once it's refracted. The particles in the atmosphere absorb all colors but blue, since it has the highest frequency and the shortest wavelength.
jmx411
12/19/2013 7:19am
downard254 wrote:

Yes, they're awesome,
Yea, name one instance,
Your mother,
No, your mother,
Blah, blah, blah,
Katoomey wrote:
thats almost every thread on this website. if i said the sky was blue the thread would end up exactly like that. watch, someone will not...

TRON wrote:
Scientifically speaking, the sky [i]isn't[/i] blue. The "sky" is made up of particles, 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and the rest is other random chemicals. The reason...
Scientifically speaking, the sky isn't blue. The "sky" is made up of particles, 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and the rest is other random chemicals. The reason we see the blue is because the light coming in to our atmosphere is absorbed and reflected by the gasses that make up air. The light coming in is white, but since white is made up of all colors put together, we can see the individual colors once it's refracted. The particles in the atmosphere absorb all colors but blue, since it has the highest frequency and the shortest wavelength.
Thanks for setting Katoomey straight. Anyone with half a brain knows the sky isn't really blue
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
4018th
12/19/2013 7:37am
I don't think there's that much parody. There's really not to many guys that can win on a given night if you think about it. RV...

Not to be a schoolmarm, but the word you are thinking of is "parity." Parody is a piece of art that mimics another in a humorous...
Not to be a schoolmarm, but the word you are thinking of is "parity."
Parody is a piece of art that mimics another in a humorous way.
Hey, thanks guy. My phone has a mind of it's on & I'm bad at proof reading. This should be acceptable though, right? I ride dirtbikes Blink
Spartacus
12/19/2013 8:05am
Katoomey wrote:

TRON wrote:
Scientifically speaking, the sky [i]isn't[/i] blue. The "sky" is made up of particles, 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and the rest is other random chemicals. The reason...
jmx411 wrote:
Thanks for setting Katoomey straight. Anyone with half a brain knows the sky isn't really blue
Actually if one hemisphere of your brain is non-functional the other will take over.

Post a reply to: 4-Strokes making racing better?

The Latest