4 Stroke Engine Handicap

westyz
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 10:59am
I am a member of www.twostrokemotocross.com and I love 2 strokes, we think its unfair that 4 strokes are allowed an engine size 'handicap' that pretty much amounts to a cheater rule in order to be able to compete against 2 strokes.

The bottom line is that the powers that be in the AMA are scared of putting 2 strokes and 4 strokes of equal engine size up against eachother because even though 4 strokes are supposed to be 'technologically superior' they cannot take 2 strokes on a level playing field.

Here in the UK our new Red Bull Pro National Series has 2 and 4 strokes up against eachother on an equal footing. We are seeing a massive increase in pros riding 2 strokes and winning here. In fact Suzuki still sell the RM 125 and 250 here in England, but they dont import to the US because the rules are displacement rules are bent in favour of 4 strokes...

I hope soon that the pro series in the US will adopt the same rules as amateur racing and let fair & equal displacement rules...
|
uk125250
1/15/2010 6:37pm Edited Date/Time 1/15/2010 6:38pm
It seems mx bike technology has lagged that of street bikes. I am not sure why that is. Cost comes it quite a bit, and I can see that as a valid argument. I always thought suspension would be a lot better than it is by now, plus bikes being way lighter than they are.
wardy
1/15/2010 7:02pm
kaw rider9 wrote:
Two strokes are dead, get over it!!
shame on you.

LOL they are the only thing that lasts and sell in this economy.

ha!

The Shop

TerryK
1/15/2010 7:04pm
Next evolution in MX: two strokes
GuppyGahoo
1/15/2010 7:04pm
Actually in a 250 vs 450 displacement the 250 2-stroke has an advantage, it fires twice as often as the 450. 4-strokes would need a displacement of 500 for the playing field to be even. Two stoke technology is really lagging.....
TerryK
1/15/2010 7:05pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 8:03pm
Ps: welcome westyz.

Keep your head down mate, the barrage is coming!!
jmar
1/15/2010 7:23pm
westyz wrote:
I am a member of www.twostrokemotocross.com and I love 2 strokes, we think its unfair that 4 strokes are allowed an engine size 'handicap' that pretty...
I am a member of www.twostrokemotocross.com and I love 2 strokes, we think its unfair that 4 strokes are allowed an engine size 'handicap' that pretty much amounts to a cheater rule in order to be able to compete against 2 strokes.

The bottom line is that the powers that be in the AMA are scared of putting 2 strokes and 4 strokes of equal engine size up against eachother because even though 4 strokes are supposed to be 'technologically superior' they cannot take 2 strokes on a level playing field.

Here in the UK our new Red Bull Pro National Series has 2 and 4 strokes up against eachother on an equal footing. We are seeing a massive increase in pros riding 2 strokes and winning here. In fact Suzuki still sell the RM 125 and 250 here in England, but they dont import to the US because the rules are displacement rules are bent in favour of 4 strokes...

I hope soon that the pro series in the US will adopt the same rules as amateur racing and let fair & equal displacement rules...
Such a powerful lobby. Soon you two stroke fanatics will take over the world.

westyz
1/15/2010 7:40pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 8:03pm
GuppyGahoo wrote:
Actually in a 250 vs 450 displacement the 250 2-stroke has an advantage, it fires twice as often as the 450. 4-strokes would need a displacement...
Actually in a 250 vs 450 displacement the 250 2-stroke has an advantage, it fires twice as often as the 450. 4-strokes would need a displacement of 500 for the playing field to be even. Two stoke technology is really lagging.....
What your saying is because of their fundamental design, the 2 stroke produces more power than the 4 stroke cc for cc. To me that clearly shows that its the 4 stroke design that is lacking, not the 2 stroke.

That is why 4 strokes can only be competitive given a HUGE handicap. Its like saying there is a new golf club that has come out that has the 'latest technology' but wait, in order for it to be competitive against normal clubs you need 2 x as many shots as a handicap. How can that be right? If its so superior it should be able to win without a bigger engine!

And they now have the crazy situation in America where all amateur racing has equal displacement, but in pro racing they still have the bent rules? why do the pro's need different rules? It's because the manufacturers are scared that if they went head to head the 2 stroke would win and they would lose profits from selling less 4 strokes.. and its the public buying this bs.. it is bordering on a protectionism racket.

Void Main
1/15/2010 7:44pm
westyz wrote:
I am a member of www.twostrokemotocross.com and I love 2 strokes, we think its unfair that 4 strokes are allowed an engine size 'handicap' that pretty...

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
1/15/2010 7:45pm
How about if we compromise on three-strokes?
westyz
1/15/2010 8:02pm Edited Date/Time 1/15/2010 8:28pm
GuyB wrote:
maybe that would be a good option for some people if they made them - for those who want the best of both worlds... at the end of the day it will be deciced on the track - if we had 250cc 2, 3 and 4 strokes (or maybe 1 or 5!) racing together for example then which ever wins is best. At the moment the fact 4 strokes are given this unfair handicap which is killing 2 strokes is not right. Let the bikes race on a level playing field in the pro classes just like they do in amateur racing. In the UK this formula has worked in the Red Bull Pro Nationals and it has drawn many more people to watch the races. The manufacturers are just running scared from this in the USA because they know when it happens they will find it way harder to keep up the pretense that 4 strokes are more powerful when they actually need a handicap to win!
Dropbear
1/15/2010 9:20pm
kaw rider9 wrote:
Only in the USA.

oh yeah, and Australia
1/15/2010 10:00pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 8:03pm
I must say some of the ignoramus comments in this forum are pretty funny Laughing
you guys crack me up!

I quite like this "handicap" concept and now see the 4 stroke riders in a different light, its very fitting given some of the extremely intelligent comments they come up with Tongue

But I do look forward to the full removal of this handicap, the sooner the better.

The powers that be who decided that 4 stokes were the way forward in MX have made a right mess of things!

1/15/2010 10:13pm
westyz wrote:

You mean in FAVOR of 4 strokes? lol JK

You make some good points....Is it really the AMA? I wonder...I've never quite understood this concept from the manufacturer's standpoint....would they not sell more total bikes if they offered more viable options to buyers--2 AND 4 strokes?

A buddy of mine (a confirmed "conspiracy theorist wacko"--i.e. the Cubans got Kennedy), thinks it's because the bike makers see more long-term profit in selling parts (how many more engine parts do 4 strokes have?) than selling bikes....piece one together by parts and see how much it costs, he says...Jackass
westyz
1/16/2010 6:44am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 8:03pm
Well we have thought about it a lot Justputtinitaround and yes it's definately down to the manufacturers... they have a lot of power on the AMA and they exert a lot of pressure to keep things as they are with the 4 stroke receiving this big handicap. It all goes back to the initiall set of rules where they gave the 4 strokes the handicap because at that point they werent working properly - as soon as they realised they could make them faster by dumping a shed load of parts and development into them they should have torn up the rules at that point, the fact they allowed the situation to continue when it was obvious the handicap was killing 2 strokes and not there to just give them a fighting chance was criminal.

I think it's down to both parts and new bikes, they can charge more for 4 strokes at dealership level - and the second hand bike market hardly seems to have many 4 strokes that are over a few years old - where as you get 2 strokes still working in great condition often even from 10 years ago.. In the old days you would sell your 1 or 2 year old 2 stroke as a down payment on your new machine but from what I've heard the 4 strokes are like a ticking time bomb and people are wary of buying them 2nd hand so people get stuck with them or have to sell them for way less than they would hope to. this means a lot of would be racers are being priced out of the sport

Plus yes the parts are way more expensive too, and there are more of them - for example an after market pipe for a 4 stroke is way more expensive than the equivelant of a 2 stroke. That would at least be acceptable if even after all the cash they are fleecing they still didnt have to rely on a handicap to win! If you see this video by Mitch Payton at Pro Circuit where he talks about the increased costs that are even difficult for him to work with it makes an interesting interview from someone who certainly knows his stuff -

http://www.vitalmx.com/...h-Payton,989/GuyB,64
Void Main
1/16/2010 6:47am Edited Date/Time 1/16/2010 7:04am
There are members of this forum that actually have the power to make those changes (changing the rules so the 4-stroke doesn't have an artificial advantage) but they won't do it. The last reason given for not going back to cc vs cc was that the 4-stroke would be at a disadvantage. They don't care in the least that the 2-stroke is currently at a disadvantage no matter what the majority of the people want to ride and see on the track.

I've been running a poll for the last several years (see link in my signature). The percentages haven't changed a lot over the years but I have noticed that the percentage of people who took the poll who only own a 2-stroke has dropped slightly while the percentage of people who prefer to ride/race a 2-stroke has risen. I can only speculate as to why but it would seem to me the reason would be because as time moves along their options have become more limited. That is, you don't see them at your local dealer any more.

When over 70% of dirt bike riders (at least the dirt bike riders that post on these types of forums and have taken my poll) prefer the 2-stroke and that preference seems to be increasing why would the dealers not want to sell us what we want? I think the reason might be because the 2-stroke is an overall better bike in that they are more reliable, don't require as much maintenance, are cheaper to repair when they do require maintenance, are an overall lower cost machine because of their simplicity. All of that translates into the dealer cannot make as much money off of each bike sold with the 2-stroke both in the initial sale and in the lifetime of the bike. On the surface it seems like it's a no brainer for the manufacturer to sell the bike they can make more money from. The only problem with that is fewer people can afford them which means they sell fewer bikes, not to mention fewer people want to ride them in the first place.

P.S. Sorry for the STFU earlier. As you can probably tell it was a sarcastic way to let you know that the MX gods (rule makers) don't want to hear that type of talk.
ImTheDude
1/16/2010 7:08am
4 strokes sound like crap, thats enough reason for me to never buy another one.
R-acer
1/16/2010 7:38am
2 strokes are good

For chain saw's only
kaw rider9
1/16/2010 7:46am
kaw rider9 wrote:
wardy wrote:
shame on you.

LOL they are the only thing that lasts and sell in this economy.

ha!
HA HA...

I've always wanted to say that here..

I'm still a 2 smoke guy!!

See ya May 2nd!!
jmar
1/16/2010 7:57am
GuyB wrote:
westyz wrote:
maybe that would be a good option for some people if they made them - for those who want the best of both worlds... at the...
maybe that would be a good option for some people if they made them - for those who want the best of both worlds... at the end of the day it will be deciced on the track - if we had 250cc 2, 3 and 4 strokes (or maybe 1 or 5!) racing together for example then which ever wins is best. At the moment the fact 4 strokes are given this unfair handicap which is killing 2 strokes is not right. Let the bikes race on a level playing field in the pro classes just like they do in amateur racing. In the UK this formula has worked in the Red Bull Pro Nationals and it has drawn many more people to watch the races. The manufacturers are just running scared from this in the USA because they know when it happens they will find it way harder to keep up the pretense that 4 strokes are more powerful when they actually need a handicap to win!
When talking about the difference between the two stroke and four stroke, displacement size is not the determining factor, HP is. I agree that the displacement on the two stroke should be allowed to be higher than it is now but not the same as the four stroke.

They are two totally different engines and displacement is not the answer to a level playing field.
mmcmx
1/16/2010 8:37am
I'm also a 2 stroke fan, but we should start talking with $$$$ soon.
westyz
1/16/2010 9:22am
GuyB wrote:
Hey, does www.twostrokemotocross.com have a manifesto available for viewing?
Hi Guy - yeah well this is the 'about' page -

About
The Two Stroke Motocross web site (TSM) is your source for two stroke news, tech and tips.

Our mission is to ensure that two stroke riders/racers have a place to go to read and comment about their engine of choice. A place where ideas and solutions can be exchanged in a respectful and intelligent manner.

We are racers, family members and lovers of motocross and get angry that the lightest, most powerful engine ever designed for motocross is in danger of extinction. This is due to the shortsighted view of the motocross sanctioning bodies and some of the manufacturers.

No other motor sports have rules with displacement inequality as we have in motocross. This has been the one and only reason that the two stroke has been toppled from it’s status as the king of motocross.

Our goal is to provide support for those of you that believe in the two stroke.
jmar
1/16/2010 9:36am
GuyB wrote:
Hey, does www.twostrokemotocross.com have a manifesto available for viewing?
westyz wrote:
Hi Guy - yeah well this is the 'about' page - About The Two Stroke Motocross web site (TSM) is your source for two stroke news...
Hi Guy - yeah well this is the 'about' page -

About
The Two Stroke Motocross web site (TSM) is your source for two stroke news, tech and tips.

Our mission is to ensure that two stroke riders/racers have a place to go to read and comment about their engine of choice. A place where ideas and solutions can be exchanged in a respectful and intelligent manner.

We are racers, family members and lovers of motocross and get angry that the lightest, most powerful engine ever designed for motocross is in danger of extinction. This is due to the shortsighted view of the motocross sanctioning bodies and some of the manufacturers.

No other motor sports have rules with displacement inequality as we have in motocross. This has been the one and only reason that the two stroke has been toppled from it’s status as the king of motocross.

Our goal is to provide support for those of you that believe in the two stroke.
been toppled from it’s status as the king of motocross.

Unbelievable.

Void Main
1/16/2010 9:44am
GuyB wrote:
westyz wrote:
maybe that would be a good option for some people if they made them - for those who want the best of both worlds... at the...
jmar wrote:
When talking about the difference between the two stroke and four stroke, displacement size is not the determining factor, HP is. I agree that the displacement...
When talking about the difference between the two stroke and four stroke, displacement size is not the determining factor, HP is. I agree that the displacement on the two stroke should be allowed to be higher than it is now but not the same as the four stroke.

They are two totally different engines and displacement is not the answer to a level playing field.
But you can't do it by HP either (how can you control that?) and you are right they are different technologies. If you set the rule to combustion engines with one specific displacement limit (like it used to be) then you end up a system where you try to get the highest level of controllable power in the smallest package regardless of number of strokes. It turned out that 2-strokes happened to be the "better" technology to achieve that (at least at the time). It made no sense to give an inferior engine technology an artificial advantage to not only be competitive but to take over the sport.

4-stroke technology has advanced a long way since those days and even if they might not be able to put out the same HP as a similar sized 2-stroke some people might prefer the way the HP is applied and would still opt to ride the 4-stroke. Since over 70% of people polled actually prefer to ride a 2-stroke regardless of power I would expect to see more 2-strokes at the race track than 4-strokes if things were actually equal (which they never can be). In fact I would expect to see more than 70% 2-strokes because there would be some who actually prefer to ride the 4-stroke but can only afford to ride the 2-stroke.
jmar
1/16/2010 9:58am
But you can't do it by HP either (how can you control that?

By coming up with a displacement (either smaller for four strokes or bigger for two strokes)
as a starting point. Let's say it's a 200cc two against a 250f.

there would be some who actually prefer to ride the 4-stroke but can only afford to ride the 2-stroke.

I really don't know where all this crap about how much it cost to maintain a four stroke comes from. I have been involved in both at a pro level and I will take the four stroke with out a doubt. I think the reality is that a two stroke will take the abuse of poor and improper maintenance better than the four stroke will.

The answer to that is to learn how to properly maintain a bike.

westyz
1/16/2010 11:06am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 8:03pm
There is already fully equal displacement in amateur racing in the states now, the next logical and fair step is to allow it in the pro classes also. Seriously how can it be right to only have it in the amateur but not pro class? It make the rules look stupid! Plenty of people will still race 4 strokes but the rest of us will be able to at least enjoy freedom of choice again.

1/16/2010 11:27am
westyz wrote:
There is already fully equal displacement in amateur racing in the states now, the next logical and fair step is to allow it in the pro...
There is already fully equal displacement in amateur racing in the states now, the next logical and fair step is to allow it in the pro classes also. Seriously how can it be right to only have it in the amateur but not pro class? It make the rules look stupid! Plenty of people will still race 4 strokes but the rest of us will be able to at least enjoy freedom of choice again.

Last i heard was MX sports held off on the new 250t vs 250f rules to spare the factories the expense of developing new bikes to compete with during the lead law, shitty economy, poor bike sales ect.. but it was not off the table forever.

Post a reply to: 4 Stroke Engine Handicap

The Latest