3D printed dirtbike parts - UPDATE

philG
4/4/2019 1:43am
Nbonney54 wrote:
Just for reference, idk what scanner was used for what you saw. We have the newest GOM 5 scanner and a 5 axis in the shop...
Just for reference, idk what scanner was used for what you saw. We have the newest GOM 5 scanner and a 5 axis in the shop. We aren’t a garage shop, we make extremely tight toleranced parts on the daily. I use a software package to transfer in my G3D files and then I go through a reverse enegineer them manually with the software.
philG wrote:
Dont get me wrong , they are fantastic bits of kit, at a fraction of the cost of conventional measuring machines, but high accuracy isnt what...
Dont get me wrong , they are fantastic bits of kit, at a fraction of the cost of conventional measuring machines, but high accuracy isnt what they are .

I have worked in measurement R&D and have done a lot of analysis on GOM measurement. Most of that work was people coming to us looking at wanting to buy one , at the fraction of the cost of a conventional CMM, after seeing a demo, but then finding out they cant have one because it wont hit the numbers.

Its a scanner, so its inherent accuracy in pure measurement terms is quite low, to the point where you cant get them to actually quote a first term accuracy. They are fantastic at measuring things that are complicated free form very quickly , as long as you arent working to tight machining limits , which is why they are great for casting / forging validation, and large stuff measured with the aid of robots .

We use GOM for measuring large assemblies quickly (well after you have spent 6 hours stickering them up), but all of the bits in that assembly have to measured properly on our CMM's because the GOM wont pass an MSA to allow it to be used.

Nbonney54 wrote:
I think we are off base on what scanners I use. Our newer scanner cost 250k. It’s good down to tenths of a thou....
You think its good to 1/10ths of a thou..because it prints to 4 decimal places. We have kit that will measure to 1/10ths of a micron that cost over a $1m To be able to accurately measure to your level , the kit has to have a repeatable resolution 10 times better than that, which it simply hasnt. Like i said , they do what they do fantasticaly but if you are looking at machined parts, the fact that you have to spray them to even get a result already means you arent accurate. Even adding full photogramettry wont get you close to a conventional CMM
MxKyle (MD)
4/4/2019 5:34am
philG wrote:
Dont get me wrong , they are fantastic bits of kit, at a fraction of the cost of conventional measuring machines, but high accuracy isnt what...
Dont get me wrong , they are fantastic bits of kit, at a fraction of the cost of conventional measuring machines, but high accuracy isnt what they are .

I have worked in measurement R&D and have done a lot of analysis on GOM measurement. Most of that work was people coming to us looking at wanting to buy one , at the fraction of the cost of a conventional CMM, after seeing a demo, but then finding out they cant have one because it wont hit the numbers.

Its a scanner, so its inherent accuracy in pure measurement terms is quite low, to the point where you cant get them to actually quote a first term accuracy. They are fantastic at measuring things that are complicated free form very quickly , as long as you arent working to tight machining limits , which is why they are great for casting / forging validation, and large stuff measured with the aid of robots .

We use GOM for measuring large assemblies quickly (well after you have spent 6 hours stickering them up), but all of the bits in that assembly have to measured properly on our CMM's because the GOM wont pass an MSA to allow it to be used.

Nbonney54 wrote:
I think we are off base on what scanners I use. Our newer scanner cost 250k. It’s good down to tenths of a thou....
philG wrote:
You think its good to 1/10ths of a thou..because it prints to 4 decimal places. We have kit that will measure to 1/10ths of a micron...
You think its good to 1/10ths of a thou..because it prints to 4 decimal places. We have kit that will measure to 1/10ths of a micron that cost over a $1m To be able to accurately measure to your level , the kit has to have a repeatable resolution 10 times better than that, which it simply hasnt. Like i said , they do what they do fantasticaly but if you are looking at machined parts, the fact that you have to spray them to even get a result already means you arent accurate. Even adding full photogramettry wont get you close to a conventional CMM

I don't really thing they plan on scanning or printing any dirt bike parts that need a 10:1 TAR. Tongue

--KT--

Nbonney54
4/4/2019 7:01am
Nbonney54 wrote:
philG wrote:
You think its good to 1/10ths of a thou..because it prints to 4 decimal places. We have kit that will measure to 1/10ths of a micron...

I don't really thing they plan on scanning or printing any dirt bike parts that need a 10:1 TAR. Tongue

--KT--

Our scanners are trusted to do inspection on aviation parts for the most advanced jet fighters the world has ever seen. He clearly is a tad behind the times. Our ATOS 5 doesn’t need many things sprayed unless they are extremely shiny. I do inspections to and see how close our parts our to our cad models.... tenths
CMM is great but is being phased out, the amount of companies who send us things to scan and also have cmm is pretty decent, keeps the lights on.

Once I get completely compitent on our 5Axis i will start machining my own billet parts off scans. Our machinist is fully confident in our scanners and our 5Axis that I could basically build an entire engine to spec.

The Shop

Nbonney54
4/4/2019 7:23am
"My daddys truck is better than yours"
Not even close. CMM and scanners are two different beasts. Technology is flying though. The newer scanner we have is the only one on the east coast if not the country. We bought it soon as it came out. CMM is old technology but more involved than scanning. I can scan multiple parts in one day with minimal set up or knowing what’s coming in the door.
MxKyle (MD)
4/4/2019 8:23am Edited Date/Time 4/4/2019 10:28am
Yep, it's close enough for government work. BTW, I design F35 training simulators and got kudos for bringing 3D printed duplicates into that industry instead of using original aircraft parts. It's hard to buy aircraft parts when the bird assembly line is always short. (That is kind of a joke too. I visited that assembly line and there is nothing short about it. It is exactly a mile long. Coolest building I've ever been in and the F35s were pretty cool too.)

We use a Faro Arm with a scanning head. It's amazing. I always get a kick of looking at a model of a scanned part and clearly reading the ink stamped part number from the original part.

--KT--
philG
4/4/2019 11:30am
philG wrote:

--KT--

Nbonney54 wrote:
Our scanners are trusted to do inspection on aviation parts for the most advanced jet fighters the world has ever seen. He clearly is a tad...
Our scanners are trusted to do inspection on aviation parts for the most advanced jet fighters the world has ever seen. He clearly is a tad behind the times. Our ATOS 5 doesn’t need many things sprayed unless they are extremely shiny. I do inspections to and see how close our parts our to our cad models.... tenths
CMM is great but is being phased out, the amount of companies who send us things to scan and also have cmm is pretty decent, keeps the lights on.

Once I get completely compitent on our 5Axis i will start machining my own billet parts off scans. Our machinist is fully confident in our scanners and our 5Axis that I could basically build an entire engine to spec.
So you are only working on single seaters then...

philG
4/4/2019 11:43am
Yep, it's close enough for government work. BTW, I design F35 training simulators and got kudos for bringing 3D printed duplicates into that industry instead of...
Yep, it's close enough for government work. BTW, I design F35 training simulators and got kudos for bringing 3D printed duplicates into that industry instead of using original aircraft parts. It's hard to buy aircraft parts when the bird assembly line is always short. (That is kind of a joke too. I visited that assembly line and there is nothing short about it. It is exactly a mile long. Coolest building I've ever been in and the F35s were pretty cool too.)

We use a Faro Arm with a scanning head. It's amazing. I always get a kick of looking at a model of a scanned part and clearly reading the ink stamped part number from the original part.

--KT--
We had a FARO in our training centre , with a scanning head on it, brilliant for prototype stuff, we used it to teach our Metrology techs how to reverse engineer, and how to calculate measurement uncertainty. against the other kit we had over there . They soon know which bit to go to to get what they need.

Currently running and programming 2 of these.. loads of work, but once yet get the programs done , its the tits.

mx_phreek
Fantasy
210th
4/4/2019 2:32pm Edited Date/Time 4/4/2019 2:33pm
Why are we getting into a pissing contest about who has the best printer when this thread is just about guys showing cool stuff they have made in their garages for there dirt bikes.Wink
philG
4/4/2019 3:01pm
mx_phreek wrote:
Why are we getting into a pissing contest about who has the best printer when this thread is just about guys showing cool stuff they have...
Why are we getting into a pissing contest about who has the best printer when this thread is just about guys showing cool stuff they have made in their garages for there dirt bikes.Wink
Because Vital.

And its not printers now, its measuring capability LOL.
philG
4/4/2019 4:01pm
We did this and a set of fork bottoms in Titanium, didnt get used , because the clever people who did the reverse engineering didnt leave any machining allowance, but hey, what can you do.

To be fair it was more an exercise to show capabilty , we ended up CT scanning it to see how that panned out accuracy wise, while looking for internal defects.

Sadly , while having the ability to do pretty much anything, we didnt get any chance to do anything we werent getting paid to do, as the way things are run makes it pretty much impossible, even scanning.

Just to show how far this stuff has come, when i first used a Romer Arm with a scanner back in 2004, we mocked up some parts for a WRC Car build , and scanned them , and we didnt have a computer capable of processing the data, as the point density pulled so much info in . Now that isnt even a consideration with 10x the data.

kNewc
4/5/2019 7:31am
I know some guys that are mixing different colors of filament and they are turning out pretty cool. Check out these guys for your next filament order!
https://www.filablend.com/
Mm471
4/15/2019 2:17pm
Some air box wash covers and a test print handguard im working on

Luxon MX
Fantasy
1061st
philG
4/24/2019 10:53am
Thats what is great for... we did some in Ti , but they didnt leave any way to machine the threads .
4/24/2019 10:57am
Mm471 wrote:
Some air box wash covers and a test print handguard im working on [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/04/15/339033/s1200_F40B5906_5DC4_41F5_9855_7AE1F7435367.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/04/15/339034/s1200_65D9C4D3_0421_43C9_A4E4_401276D2225C.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/04/15/339032/s1200_B6729543_86FC_4E8F_8E27_50ADD544839C.jpg[/img]
Some air box wash covers and a test print handguard im working on

Nice job. What printer and filament are you using?
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
4/26/2019 10:05am Edited Date/Time 4/26/2019 10:08am
My 3d printing fail

Printed with basic PLA. Press fit onto the shaft it broke around. Lasted a few weeks inside the hot truck. Guess the plastic didnt like the lack of clearance. Might print another with a touch more clearance. Maybe I'll just thread the shaft.
4/26/2019 10:39am
PLA really should only be used for prototyping and proof of concept, or for statues and things. Its cheap and prints easily, but its brittle. PETG would be a much better material for that application.
m121c
5/29/2019 5:32am Edited Date/Time 5/29/2019 5:33am
Started a design engineering internship for a company that has a fleet of 3D printers, had a “productive” first week. Footpeg folds up too, just meant to hold my phone.

soggy
Fantasy
3857th
5/29/2019 6:25am
m121c wrote:
Started a design engineering internship for a company that has a fleet of 3D printers, had a “productive” first week. Footpeg folds up too, just meant...
Started a design engineering internship for a company that has a fleet of 3D printers, had a “productive” first week. Footpeg folds up too, just meant to hold my phone.

hahaha that is badass, im sure a handful of us at minimum would purchase one of these do-dads
JM485
5/29/2019 8:48am
Well my ignition cover finally met its demise this weekendLaughing

Jharper
5/29/2019 8:55am
I printed a CDI holder for my AF build last night.

danman
5/30/2019 4:35am
JM485 wrote:
Well my ignition cover finally met its demise this weekend:laugh: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/05/29/350909/s1200_7A72A86C_F31B_42E9_AE8A_BDC2BD9AAE23.jpg[/img]
Well my ignition cover finally met its demise this weekendLaughing

Did a rock hit it, crash, ???
JM485
5/30/2019 7:54am
danman wrote:
Did a rock hit it, crash, ???
Not really sure, it definitely wasn’t a crash but there were a ton of tree roots sticking out at odd angles where I was riding, so I’d have to guess I probably caught one of those. I also bent my pipe mount so I’m guessing I hit something relatively hard, but either way I’m going to strengthen the design and re-print. I’m actually really happy with how the plastic looked when it broke though, it looked like one solid piece so I’m definitely getting good layer adhesion.
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
5/30/2019 7:58am
JM485 wrote:
Not really sure, it definitely wasn’t a crash but there were a ton of tree roots sticking out at odd angles where I was riding, so...
Not really sure, it definitely wasn’t a crash but there were a ton of tree roots sticking out at odd angles where I was riding, so I’d have to guess I probably caught one of those. I also bent my pipe mount so I’m guessing I hit something relatively hard, but either way I’m going to strengthen the design and re-print. I’m actually really happy with how the plastic looked when it broke though, it looked like one solid piece so I’m definitely getting good layer adhesion.
What layer height did you use?
Topher674
Fantasy
1530th
6/5/2019 3:13pm
m121c wrote:
Started a design engineering internship for a company that has a fleet of 3D printers, had a “productive” first week. Footpeg folds up too, just meant...

Hell, I'd pay money for just the file so I could print one! That's awesome.
DanDunes818
6/5/2019 3:24pm Edited Date/Time 6/5/2019 3:27pm
You guys might remember the name Mouse McCoy. I grew up with him (we were both Indian Dunes kids) and it's cool seeing the stuff he's doing now. He's posted some really amazing stuff I believe is done with 3d printing. Not sure if my embedding Instagram is working.

JM485
6/5/2019 3:48pm
JM485 wrote:
Not really sure, it definitely wasn’t a crash but there were a ton of tree roots sticking out at odd angles where I was riding, so...
colintrax wrote:
What layer height did you use?
Sorry colintrax just saw this. I start with a layer height of .3mm, then once I get to the domed portion I drop it down to .2mm. This gives me a good mix of speed and precision, since it would really just be a waste of time running it at .2 layer height during the vertical bits.
DAG
6/5/2019 4:02pm
Printed this in nylon to clean up my hose routing. So far so good with about 6 hours on it

Fraser
6/6/2019 8:04am
Apologies if I've posted these before. Plastic parts for 80's Cagivas aren't always easy to come by. These fork guard sliders being a good case. Originals have worn away so I reproduced these for a couple of friends. 3D printing is brilliant for parts you just can't find anymore.

Post a reply to: 3D printed dirtbike parts - UPDATE

The Latest