350 or 450?

Pdub
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 1:02pm
What sense does it make for the AMA and the FIM to propose that the manufacturers replace the current 450 single cylinder thumpers with engines that are 100cc's smaller? What exactly are they trying to accomplish?

Yeah, I've heard some lip service regarding safety and noise, but hey, motocross racing is dangerous at every level... people have been paralyzed from crashes occuring at walking speeds... and 50cc bikes can be eardrum-shatteringly loud.

So really, what's the point? To force us to buy new bikes again in order to race under the sanctioning body's rules?

It pisses me off that this is even a matter under discussion by the sanctioning bodies.
|
KxRider86
4/16/2007 5:29pm
Im not sure but I think they are trying to make it so motocross is a little bit more affordable to race a 250 2stroke (maintanence wise and such) and still be competitive. The races I have watched, the 2 stroke 125 and 250's do very well against the 250f's and 450f's and sometimes win the moto, I guess it depends on where you live and how much money you have to race with
mpy
4/16/2007 6:03pm
KxRider86 wrote:
Im not sure but I think they are trying to make it so motocross is a little bit more affordable to race a 250 2stroke (maintanence...
Im not sure but I think they are trying to make it so motocross is a little bit more affordable to race a 250 2stroke (maintanence wise and such) and still be competitive. The races I have watched, the 2 stroke 125 and 250's do very well against the 250f's and 450f's and sometimes win the moto, I guess it depends on where you live and how much money you have to race with
Yep, they're trying to make the 2-stroke more competitive, and therefore making the whole sport of motocross more affordable. But how many will go back to the 2-stroke? Anyway, I'm very happy they are doing something to help the 2-stroke and the sport at the same time.

KTM said, maybe 10 years ago that the 4-stroke was going to raise the costs of motocross racing so that most people won't be able to afford to race anymore... and I don't think that is very far away from the truth.
Pdub
4/16/2007 6:56pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:54pm
KxRider86 wrote:
Im not sure but I think they are trying to make it so motocross is a little bit more affordable to race a 250 2stroke (maintanence...
mpy wrote:
Yep, they're trying to make the 2-stroke more competitive, and therefore making the whole sport of motocross more affordable. But how many will go back to...
Yep, they're trying to make the 2-stroke more competitive, and therefore making the whole sport of motocross more affordable. But how many will go back to the 2-stroke? Anyway, I'm very happy they are doing something to help the 2-stroke and the sport at the same time.

KTM said, maybe 10 years ago that the 4-stroke was going to raise the costs of motocross racing so that most people won't be able to afford to race anymore... and I don't think that is very far away from the truth.
Yeah, but who defines "affordable"? These guys (the sanctioning bodies) are responsible for defining RACING, not affordability.

Besides, the guys with money will spend it to make the 350s go as fast as the 450s anyway... and they'll blow 'em up trying. How affordable is THAT?

Speaking of affordable, China Inc. is poised to take the Japanese OEMs lunch money anyway. Look at how they floored the pitbike market. You'd be crazy to spend $1800 OTD for a stock XR50 when you can get a big wheel, long-travel, 4-speed, 124cc stroker for less.
mpy
4/16/2007 8:03pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:54pm
KxRider86 wrote:
mpy wrote:
Yep, they're trying to make the 2-stroke more competitive, and therefore making the whole sport of motocross more affordable. But how many will go back to...

Pdub wrote:
Yeah, but who defines "affordable"? These guys (the sanctioning bodies) are responsible for defining RACING, not affordability. Besides, the guys with money will spend it to...
Yeah, but who defines "affordable"? These guys (the sanctioning bodies) are responsible for defining RACING, not affordability.

Besides, the guys with money will spend it to make the 350s go as fast as the 450s anyway... and they'll blow 'em up trying. How affordable is THAT?

Speaking of affordable, China Inc. is poised to take the Japanese OEMs lunch money anyway. Look at how they floored the pitbike market. You'd be crazy to spend $1800 OTD for a stock XR50 when you can get a big wheel, long-travel, 4-speed, 124cc stroker for less.
Pdub wrote:

I think the FIM has an interest in keeping racing affordable as well, and that's good!

350s... I'm not too sure that's the best way to go. As many people have mentioned on other message boards, they should find other solutions to slow down the 450s, for example noise control.

The Shop

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/16/2007 10:15pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:54pm
mpy wrote:

Pdub wrote:
Yeah, but who defines "affordable"? These guys (the sanctioning bodies) are responsible for defining RACING, not affordability. Besides, the guys with money will spend it to...

mpy wrote:
[b]Pdub wrote:[/b] [quote]Yeah, but who defines "affordable"? These guys (the sanctioning bodies) are responsible for defining RACING, not affordability. [/quote] I think the FIM has an...
Pdub wrote:

I think the FIM has an interest in keeping racing affordable as well, and that's good!

350s... I'm not too sure that's the best way to go. As many people have mentioned on other message boards, they should find other solutions to slow down the 450s, for example noise control.
I'd be pretty surprised to see manufacturers bringing back their two-stroke models.

Giuseppe Luongo hinted about this stuff last year at the MXdN, saying, "The MX1 bikes are too big." When I asked what that meant for the MX3 bikes, he suggested, "Maybe the current 450s would become MX3," or something like that.
kevin204
Fantasy
2865th
4/17/2007 8:02am
Pdub wrote:

mpy wrote:
[b]Pdub wrote:[/b] [quote]Yeah, but who defines "affordable"? These guys (the sanctioning bodies) are responsible for defining RACING, not affordability. [/quote] I think the FIM has an...
Pdub wrote:

GuyB wrote:
I'd be pretty surprised to see manufacturers bringing back their two-stroke models. Giuseppe Luongo hinted about this stuff last year at the MXdN, saying, "The MX1...
I'd be pretty surprised to see manufacturers bringing back their two-stroke models.

Giuseppe Luongo hinted about this stuff last year at the MXdN, saying, "The MX1 bikes are too big." When I asked what that meant for the MX3 bikes, he suggested, "Maybe the current 450s would become MX3," or something like that.
I think the thing to do would be to run 250F's in the Lites SX class, and 250 2 strokes in the SX class. Outdoors, run 250F's and 450's. Just my opinion.
Pdub
4/17/2007 9:59am Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:54pm
mpy wrote:
Pdub wrote:

GuyB wrote:
I'd be pretty surprised to see manufacturers bringing back their two-stroke models. Giuseppe Luongo hinted about this stuff last year at the MXdN, saying, "The MX1...

kevin204 wrote:
I think the thing to do would be to run 250F's in the Lites SX class, and 250 2 strokes in the SX class. Outdoors, run...
I think the thing to do would be to run 250F's in the Lites SX class, and 250 2 strokes in the SX class. Outdoors, run 250F's and 450's. Just my opinion.
Here's the thing: until the FIM and the AMA tell us what scientific methods they have used to determine that "MX3 bikes are too big" or that 450cc motorcycles are too fast, then it's all conjecture and speculation. If it's true, show us the proof. Show us the studies... oh right, there aren't any!

The Japanese OEMs spend tens of millions of dollars on R&D as well as market research, and the AMA and FIM expect them to make manufacturing decisions based on what the sanctioning bodies think? Which apparently is based on mere opinion? It just doesn't make any sense.

I think we need to be real about who's really running things. The AMA and FIM didn't kill the two-stroke, they just helped the OEMs do it.
Pdub
4/17/2007 12:27pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:54pm
GuyB wrote:

kevin204 wrote:
I think the thing to do would be to run 250F's in the Lites SX class, and 250 2 strokes in the SX class. Outdoors, run...
Pdub wrote:
Here's the thing: until the FIM and the AMA tell us what scientific methods they have used to determine that "MX3 bikes are too big" or...
Here's the thing: until the FIM and the AMA tell us what scientific methods they have used to determine that "MX3 bikes are too big" or that 450cc motorcycles are too fast, then it's all conjecture and speculation. If it's true, show us the proof. Show us the studies... oh right, there aren't any!

The Japanese OEMs spend tens of millions of dollars on R&D as well as market research, and the AMA and FIM expect them to make manufacturing decisions based on what the sanctioning bodies think? Which apparently is based on mere opinion? It just doesn't make any sense.

I think we need to be real about who's really running things. The AMA and FIM didn't kill the two-stroke, they just helped the OEMs do it.
Hmmm... according to TFS, 450s "cup" the faces of SX whoops, causing 250F riders to crash. Steve Whitelock "witnessed" this phenomenom first hand, leading him to the conclusion that... I guess... 100cc's less displacement will equal no whoop-cupping which will equal no 250F whoop crashing.

Right.

Why not go all the way and just limit SX to 250F bikes? They're already on the market, so it'll be easy to implement, right?

It's all a buncha BS, man...
OldTiddler
4/17/2007 4:25pm
kevin204 wrote:
Pdub wrote:
Here's the thing: until the FIM and the AMA tell us what scientific methods they have used to determine that "MX3 bikes are too big" or...

Pdub wrote:
Hmmm... according to TFS, 450s "cup" the faces of SX whoops, causing 250F riders to crash. Steve Whitelock "witnessed" this phenomenom first hand, leading him to...
Hmmm... according to TFS, 450s "cup" the faces of SX whoops, causing 250F riders to crash. Steve Whitelock "witnessed" this phenomenom first hand, leading him to the conclusion that... I guess... 100cc's less displacement will equal no whoop-cupping which will equal no 250F whoop crashing.

Right.

Why not go all the way and just limit SX to 250F bikes? They're already on the market, so it'll be easy to implement, right?

That was actually one of the few posts he's made that I can agree with, not sure you got the point. It wasnt TFS' opinion as much as him reporting what DW was saying and what the AMA and FIM think about the bike size, probably as a result of input from riders too.

Anyway, why do we care? The racing will be just as good if they all showed up on 125s...
Pdub
4/17/2007 5:01pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:54pm
Pdub wrote:

Pdub wrote:
Hmmm... according to TFS, 450s "cup" the faces of SX whoops, causing 250F riders to crash. Steve Whitelock "witnessed" this phenomenom first hand, leading him to...

Right.

OldTiddler wrote:
That was actually one of the few posts he's made that I can agree with, not sure you got the point. It wasnt TFS' opinion as...
That was actually one of the few posts he's made that I can agree with, not sure you got the point. It wasnt TFS' opinion as much as him reporting what DW was saying and what the AMA and FIM think about the bike size, probably as a result of input from riders too.

Anyway, why do we care? The racing will be just as good if they all showed up on 125s...
There's a good chance I missed the point... it wouldn't be the first time! But let me see if I can re-state it, and you be the judge.

TFS reported originally (in his weekend window) that the AMA and FIM met over the weekend at the Spanish GP and one of the things they discussed was proposing to the OEMs that they make 350cc-sized bikes, because 450s are just too "much" or something.

This caused much confusion, wailing and gnashing-of-teeth by the hoi polloi (like me).

So Teefus broke it down further in a thread on MotoTalk/News, giving the example that Whitelock had heard the complaints that the 450s were tearing up the track, specifically the whoops, creating danger (where none existed before? that's laughable), and Whitelock, standing right next to our intrepid reporter, saw for hisself the damage created and the resulting crash by a 250F rider.

So I guess the point is, everyone at the races is saying that 450s are too damn big; the sanctioning bodies are taking the complaints of their constituents to the manufacturers; and none of it matters to the fans anyway, 'cause we'll buy whatever's on sale, and watch them no matter if they're racing 50's. So we may as well STFU.

Yeah, I missed that point. Tongue

Here's my point: oh wait, I don't have a point. She-it!

Now I remember: does the motorcycle-buying public have any say in this? I think we do, and I think that's proven by the dollars spent in market research by the OEMs. Of course, I have no way of knowing exactly how much they spend, and I may be completely wrong... maybe they DON'T do any market research to determine if Americans would be willing to pay six-grand for a limited-use dirtbike. That would be surprisingly bad business practice, if true.

Truthfully, no one asked me if I wanted a small-displacement V-twin motocross bike... but Aprilia made one anyway, and the AMA and FIM say I can't race it in any of their sanctioned races. That sucks for me and Aprilia.
MK 105
4/17/2007 9:26pm
Pdub wrote:

Right.

OldTiddler wrote:
That was actually one of the few posts he's made that I can agree with, not sure you got the point. It wasnt TFS' opinion as...

Pdub wrote:
There's a good chance I missed the point... it wouldn't be the first time! But let me see if I can re-state it, and you be...
There's a good chance I missed the point... it wouldn't be the first time! But let me see if I can re-state it, and you be the judge.

TFS reported originally (in his weekend window) that the AMA and FIM met over the weekend at the Spanish GP and one of the things they discussed was proposing to the OEMs that they make 350cc-sized bikes, because 450s are just too "much" or something.

This caused much confusion, wailing and gnashing-of-teeth by the hoi polloi (like me).

So Teefus broke it down further in a thread on MotoTalk/News, giving the example that Whitelock had heard the complaints that the 450s were tearing up the track, specifically the whoops, creating danger (where none existed before? that's laughable), and Whitelock, standing right next to our intrepid reporter, saw for hisself the damage created and the resulting crash by a 250F rider.

So I guess the point is, everyone at the races is saying that 450s are too damn big; the sanctioning bodies are taking the complaints of their constituents to the manufacturers; and none of it matters to the fans anyway, 'cause we'll buy whatever's on sale, and watch them no matter if they're racing 50's. So we may as well STFU.

Now I remember: does the motorcycle-buying public have any say in this? I think we do, and I think that's proven by the dollars spent in market research by the OEMs. Of course, I have no way of knowing exactly how much they spend, and I may be completely wrong... maybe they DON'T do any market research to determine if Americans would be willing to pay six-grand for a limited-use dirtbike. That would be surprisingly bad business practice, if true.

Truthfully, no one asked me if I wanted a small-displacement V-twin motocross bike... but Aprilia made one anyway, and the AMA and FIM say I can't race it in any of their sanctioned races. That sucks for me and Aprilia.
it should not be up to the fim or ama what bikes are made, its up to us!
I like the 450's
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/17/2007 10:42pm
OldTiddler wrote:

Pdub wrote:
There's a good chance I missed the point... it wouldn't be the first time! But let me see if I can re-state it, and you be...

MK 105 wrote:
I like the 450's
Whitelock was already hinting around about the idea of smaller big class bikes at Steel City (and probably before that) last year.

I do think the 450s have completely changed the way tracks break in (or down). You end up with lots more one-line follow-the-leader stuff. And the ability to pull the trigger coming out of corners and clear a retarded amount of the next straightaway has totally changed Supercross...and not for the better.

Post edited by: GuyB, at: 4/18/2007 5:47 AM
oldx
4/18/2007 11:25am
Pdub wrote:

MK 105 wrote:
I like the 450's
GuyB wrote:
Whitelock was already hinting around about the idea of smaller big class bikes at Steel City (and probably before that) last year. I do think the...
Whitelock was already hinting around about the idea of smaller big class bikes at Steel City (and probably before that) last year.

I do think the 450s have completely changed the way tracks break in (or down). You end up with lots more one-line follow-the-leader stuff. And the ability to pull the trigger coming out of corners and clear a retarded amount of the next straightaway has totally changed Supercross...and not for the better.

I can't see where everyone selling their 450 and buying 350s will be any more affordable.
Pdub
4/18/2007 2:03pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:54pm
MK 105 wrote:
I like the 450's
GuyB wrote:
Whitelock was already hinting around about the idea of smaller big class bikes at Steel City (and probably before that) last year. I do think the...

oldx wrote:
I can't see where everyone selling their 450 and buying 350s will be any more affordable.
oldx wrote:

And don't forget, hopping up their 350s so they're almost as fast as kitted 450s...! And then replacing topends after they grenade from being hopped up!

I think the whole "affordable" argument is a red herring. There's another motive out there that they're not talking about.

Hey Steve, that's interesting that Whitelock was musing about smaller bikes back during the outdoor season... was he fielding complaints back then about 450s being too fast/torquey/whatever?
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
4/19/2007 4:51pm
GuyB wrote:

oldx wrote:
Pdub wrote:
[b]oldx wrote:[/b] [quote]I can't see where everyone selling their 450 and buying 350s will be any more affordable.[/quote] And don't forget, hopping up their 350s so...
oldx wrote:

And don't forget, hopping up their 350s so they're almost as fast as kitted 450s...! And then replacing topends after they grenade from being hopped up!

I think the whole "affordable" argument is a red herring. There's another motive out there that they're not talking about.

Hey Steve, that's interesting that Whitelock was musing about smaller bikes back during the outdoor season... was he fielding complaints back then about 450s being too fast/torquey/whatever?
Pro-level competitors are never going to complain about anything being too fast. And they'll always try to figure out how to go faster.

I guess it's up to the sanctions to watch and make changes based on the best interests of the competitors.

Just as an example, the NHRA has done things in the fuel classes to limit the top speed on the cars, like mandating gearing that they can run, and also requring a spec fuel mixture (partly to eliminate oildowns from blown engines). Of course, they've probably already exceeded the speeds that they were trying to get bumped down from, but you get the idea.

NASCAR was worried about cars going too fast on the superspeedways, and cars going into the stands, which is why we have restrictor plate races.
Pdub
4/21/2007 1:48pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 5:54pm
oldx wrote:
Pdub wrote:
[b]oldx wrote:[/b] [quote]I can't see where everyone selling their 450 and buying 350s will be any more affordable.[/quote] And don't forget, hopping up their 350s so...
oldx wrote:

GuyB wrote:
Pro-level competitors are never going to complain about anything being too fast. And they'll always try to figure out how to go faster. I guess it's...
Pro-level competitors are never going to complain about anything being too fast. And they'll always try to figure out how to go faster.

I guess it's up to the sanctions to watch and make changes based on the best interests of the competitors.

Just as an example, the NHRA has done things in the fuel classes to limit the top speed on the cars, like mandating gearing that they can run, and also requring a spec fuel mixture (partly to eliminate oildowns from blown engines). Of course, they've probably already exceeded the speeds that they were trying to get bumped down from, but you get the idea.

NASCAR was worried about cars going too fast on the superspeedways, and cars going into the stands, which is why we have restrictor plate races.
Now it's getting even deeper. Go read TFS' "SX Weekend Window [url]http://sxweekendwindow.blogspot.com/[/url]. He says the teams are reacting negatively to the 350 concept.

WTF? I thought the teams were the ones pulling Whitelock's chain and telling him how 450s are too fast and powerful and making the tracks dangerous by cupping the whoops?

If it's not the people actually doing the racing that are making the complaints, then who is it? And if they are not the racers, why should they be listened to?

I'm confused. Maybe I'm reading this wrong. And in any case, I'm a vet racer... we don't race by displacement, we race by ability. We get to "run what ya brung", so it really doesn't matter to me if the AMA jerks around with the engine sizes. But I was really hoping that the sanctioning body was going to someday start using some common sense while rulemaking. I guess that's just asking too much.

Pit-to-racer radio communications still illegal? Check.
On-board telemetry/data capture still illegal? Check.
After-market fuel injection? No? Check.
Multiple-cylinders/forced air induction still against the rules? Yep.

Hey, I have an idea: let's start a series using electric bikes... noise problem solved. AMA?

Post edited by: Pdub, at: 4/21/2007 8:49 PM

Post a reply to: 350 or 450?

The Latest