30mins with Harley Davidson CEO

22Ryann
Fantasy
4098th
If anyone is interested.
|
GasGasOrAss
6/10/2019 11:15pm
Didn’t watch but is he blaming millennials again for not wanting to buy overpriced chrome plated rattling peices of shit with shitty handling, no power, and 1950s technology?
VET176
6/10/2019 11:17pm
I've always wondered what Billie Jean King was up to.
Dougy1
6/11/2019 1:01am
Actually it was really interesting interview...where it all might head.. like I wondered an others, we will mis the noise of a motorcycle as it’s part of the experience...but we learn to enjoy the silence. (Have no idea how that will work at the races though? They will have to play music I guess .

As far as MX goes More people will have acces to ride closer to urban areas with off road e bikes but like the ebike mtb the price will need to come down over time.
As another thread stated with the kids in the junior SX series next year will be riding electric 50s.
The times are a changing and Harley will change also .
Crazy how a tweet by a president could potentially effect a US company so bad, The guy handled that situation well though..

The Shop

Dropbear
6/11/2019 1:44am Edited Date/Time 6/11/2019 2:06am
Thanks for posting. Some big changes coming up.

I would say Honda has the jump on the EV sports segment of the market with their Mugen design road and off road products. They seem to have captured a lot of attention.

Be interesting to see how the cruiser segment reacts to EV.

I think the urban transport (scooters etc.) market will be scooped up by the Chinese. Brand loyalty will not be a factor there.

BTW that interviewer is a twit. He did well to not tell her to shut up.

Mx391
6/11/2019 6:04am
Lord that interviewer was terrible
MX Culture
6/11/2019 6:11am
I could listen to him all day.
She is annoying as hell.
6/11/2019 6:34am
Does anyone happen to have his email handy? I got a couple ideas id like to run by him.
22Ryann
Fantasy
4098th
6/11/2019 8:06am
Does anyone happen to have his email handy? I got a couple ideas id like to run by him.
Probably find him on linkedIn
Jbulz
Fantasy
4086th
6/11/2019 9:25am
Lol. Classic
YZed250
6/11/2019 11:49am
worth a listen, thanks,
danman
6/11/2019 1:31pm
Interesting listen.
Bineano
6/11/2019 8:59pm
Very interesting. There is NO Company that is more effected by sound than HD, imo.
Extremely bold move by them!
Looking to the future, with the risk of alienating their core.
Time will tell!
6/11/2019 9:51pm
Get back to me when the Harley rallies don't require a chase vehicle.

On second thought, I may not live that long.Grinning
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
6/11/2019 10:01pm
Good find OP, man $200 million is a lot of dough.
6/12/2019 12:52am
Some people think Harley is hurting but the fact is, if harley is hurting then the japanese and ktm are really in the shitter. Harley STILL sells as many bikes as the rest put together. And they don’t sell 50cc or Groms. Point being is that Harley is making more money on each bike they sell and they sell more of them. You guys might not realize how much that SoA show did for HD. It really helped them
22Ryann
Fantasy
4098th
6/12/2019 1:04am
The sound thing won't hurt Harley... as he mentions in the interview it's basically a whole new generation of riders.

And there is no mention of Alta, I doubt Kara knew much about that investment to probe him about it... I was hoping to hear a question thrown in about Alta and why they pulled out from that investment but it didn't come
mpy
6/12/2019 1:14am
Some people think Harley is hurting but the fact is, if harley is hurting then the japanese and ktm are really in the shitter. Harley STILL...
Some people think Harley is hurting but the fact is, if harley is hurting then the japanese and ktm are really in the shitter. Harley STILL sells as many bikes as the rest put together. And they don’t sell 50cc or Groms. Point being is that Harley is making more money on each bike they sell and they sell more of them. You guys might not realize how much that SoA show did for HD. It really helped them
Sure about that?

Harley 2018 total motorcycle sales: 228,051
https://investor.harley-davidson.com/news-releases/news-release-details…
KTM 2018 total motorcycle sales: 261,500
https://www.ktm-industries.com/en/2019/ktm-achieves-record-sales-in-201…
Beeby
6/12/2019 6:13am Edited Date/Time 6/12/2019 6:14am
Some people think Harley is hurting but the fact is, if harley is hurting then the japanese and ktm are really in the shitter. Harley STILL...
That is completely made up. Honda probably sells more of its least popular model than Harley sells its entire range.
6/12/2019 6:56am
Is this sarcasm? Did you watch the video? Does VOX have a time machine so that they can edit and censor events before they are broadcast live?
Dropbear
6/12/2019 7:07am
Yeah, nah.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
6/12/2019 7:51am
Didn’t watch but is he blaming millennials again for not wanting to buy overpriced chrome plated rattling peices of shit with shitty handling, no power, and...
Didn’t watch but is he blaming millennials again for not wanting to buy overpriced chrome plated rattling peices of shit with shitty handling, no power, and 1950s technology?
No, no, not at all. Come on, man. You really should know better. It's 1930s technology.
OldYZRider1
6/12/2019 9:20am Edited Date/Time 6/12/2019 11:00am
I wonder about the accuracy of that number. I saw the same number pop up when I googled it and it does indicate sales so the number could include carryovers from precious years. If it were actual production numbers it would mean that Honda would be producing 53,573 bikes per day, 2232 bikes per hour, 37 bikes per min or .6 bikes per second! Seems doubtful as I also only saw that they have three motorcycle production plants worldwide. The Marysville, OH plant (which is now closed) took 17 yrs to produce 1 million units according to Wikipedia.

Edit: from further reading it appears the Marysville plant is not closed, they've just switched production to autos and are no longer building bikes and ATV's there. Also Honda's website indicates they have at least 16 plants producing motorcycles and just looking at the production capabilities it appears they could build that kind of volumes. I imagine the overwhelming majority are scooters and small displacement motorcycles. It appears that plants in China and India can produce several million units between them. Japan's production is actually a rather meager 275,000/yr and it looks like most of the product we see in the US is built there? Maybe someone else has better info on this.
Zoom
6/12/2019 9:43pm
As a motocross kid in the 70's I was not a fan of HD. Working in the industry the last 30 years has changed my perspective. I have come to realize that they are one of the most successful American companies of all time.

As a motocrosser I never thought I would be connected to the Motor Company. That almost happened while I was with Alta and now its a reality since I have recently accepted a position with STACYC.

Whats interesting is that every OE was interested in purchasing STACYC. However, every one of them wanted it to be private labeled under their brand. HD was the only one that wanted STACYC to remain as it is and sell bikes to non HD dealers as STACYC and offer them to HD dealers branded as HD models.

Harley sees the value of creating the next generation of riders through all dealers. Its good for the industry as a whole which in turn is good for HD.
peltier626
6/13/2019 1:48pm
Just watched the interview, very interesting and enjoyable interview. Unique perspective and Harley seems to have a restored vision for the future of their business and products. I hope it works out and we get their version of the Alta MXR.(Doubtful) The interviewer is out of touch and very rude.
Zacka 161
Fantasy
2067th
6/14/2019 7:21pm
Is this sarcasm? Did you watch the video? Does VOX have a time machine so that they can edit and censor events before they are broadcast...
Is this sarcasm? Did you watch the video? Does VOX have a time machine so that they can edit and censor events before they are broadcast live?
Flesh look up friendlyjordies on YouTube. He is actually independent and has a really interesting view on the conflict you are talking about....

But yeah disregarding an interview with the head of an American motorcycle company that is broadcast live because you deci$e the interviewer is biased... is keeping our head in the sand with corporate conservative propaganda playing on loop seems petty narrow minded but oh well
activeMX
6/14/2019 9:58pm
I wonder about the accuracy of that number. I saw the same number pop up when I googled it and it does indicate sales so the...
I wonder about the accuracy of that number. I saw the same number pop up when I googled it and it does indicate sales so the number could include carryovers from precious years. If it were actual production numbers it would mean that Honda would be producing 53,573 bikes per day, 2232 bikes per hour, 37 bikes per min or .6 bikes per second! Seems doubtful as I also only saw that they have three motorcycle production plants worldwide. The Marysville, OH plant (which is now closed) took 17 yrs to produce 1 million units according to Wikipedia.

Edit: from further reading it appears the Marysville plant is not closed, they've just switched production to autos and are no longer building bikes and ATV's there. Also Honda's website indicates they have at least 16 plants producing motorcycles and just looking at the production capabilities it appears they could build that kind of volumes. I imagine the overwhelming majority are scooters and small displacement motorcycles. It appears that plants in China and India can produce several million units between them. Japan's production is actually a rather meager 275,000/yr and it looks like most of the product we see in the US is built there? Maybe someone else has better info on this.
Haha...I like that you came back to edit it. That's at least a somewhat accurate look at it.

Post a reply to: 30mins with Harley Davidson CEO

The Latest