300 off road

Johnny Depp
1/19/2019 8:33pm
Counter balancing is overrated. It was only developed to make FI work. More centrifugal force is a detriment to handling. If a 300 is properly balanced at the crank, you don't need it.

One of the worst bikes I ever rode was a 250SX with a 300SX kit. It was too much too fast. Horrible, dangerous power delivery. A 300 won't make top like a 250, and a 300 in technical can be a bit much. Either can work depending on how you like to ride it.
BobPA
1/19/2019 9:38pm
Counter balancing is overrated. It was only developed to make FI work. More centrifugal force is a detriment to handling. If a 300 is properly balanced...
Counter balancing is overrated. It was only developed to make FI work. More centrifugal force is a detriment to handling. If a 300 is properly balanced at the crank, you don't need it.

One of the worst bikes I ever rode was a 250SX with a 300SX kit. It was too much too fast. Horrible, dangerous power delivery. A 300 won't make top like a 250, and a 300 in technical can be a bit much. Either can work depending on how you like to ride it.
This is false. A single cylinder crank can only be balanced for a certain RPM range, dependent on what balance factor is used...Ride a new KTM engine and compare it to the old design, and you will see that the counterbalance is a fine addition. Sea Doo PWC engines all had counterbalancers, and they were carbed...
Johnny Depp
1/20/2019 5:17am Edited Date/Time 1/20/2019 5:27am
Counter balancing is overrated. It was only developed to make FI work. More centrifugal force is a detriment to handling. If a 300 is properly balanced...

BobPA wrote:
This is false. A single cylinder crank can only be balanced for a certain RPM range, dependent on what balance factor is used...Ride a new KTM...
This is false. A single cylinder crank can only be balanced for a certain RPM range, dependent on what balance factor is used...Ride a new KTM engine and compare it to the old design, and you will see that the counterbalance is a fine addition. Sea Doo PWC engines all had counterbalancers, and they were carbed...
It is not practical from a cost standpoint to properly balance production cranks the way a good tuner can.Different bikes on the same production line will be smooth or vibrate. KTM couldn't make the injectors work due to vibration, it is offered on the carb models and everyone thinks it's the next big thing, when in fact the bikes have not performed in high speed competition as well since the change. (see EnduroGP). Gas Gas had CB decades ago, and it would chug like at locomotive with flywheel effect (which is a benefit to the new KTM's and they do well in Extreme events) but they ended up dropping it due to high rpm handling, cost and weight. Watercraft's turning requirements are different than a bike, so they don't matter, purely comfort for them.

KTM came out with an answer to a question no one was asking on carbed bikes. Obviously many like the change, but there are many 2 strokes that do perfectly well without it. Beta has had castings internally in their cases since the 2t's were release in 2013, but never have run a CB. I'm sure they are waiting for the time when FI is forced upon them by E5 regulations. It's apparent that they were well aware of the vibration issue, and did not see the benefit in carbed models. Here's a link to Beta's new FI patent, much different method than KTM's, more likely designed for improved power over emissions.

https://thumpertalk.com/uploads/monthly_2019_01/3F5F03F1-864C-4038-886E…
Stuntman949
1/21/2019 8:57am
seth505 wrote:
I honestly don't understand the "waiting for ____ to make this bike". I guess people have no idea how good the current offerings from KTM, Husky...
I honestly don't understand the "waiting for ____ to make this bike". I guess people have no idea how good the current offerings from KTM, Husky, GasGas, TM, Beta, etc... are.
I begged and pleaded for the Yamaha 250x. Still haven't bought one, because hypocrite

The Shop

RCF
1/21/2019 9:14am
From most guys that have the newer KTM 300, fixes are:
Cut Head
Change Reeds
New Carb, rejet,, (non EFI)
Only $11000.00 plus fixes.
BobPA wrote:
I have one and that is a metric load of BS. -My bike is a 2018 300XC which was bought this summer.....and I paid $8600 OTD...
I have one and that is a metric load of BS.

-My bike is a 2018 300XC which was bought this summer.....and I paid $8600 OTD with a title AND a license plate....MSRP is $9299...not EleVeN THouSAnD
-Reeds were fixed after 2017
-I dialed my bike in with the provided jets and needles
-Everyone who has ridden my 300 has nearly broken their zippers from the boner inducing ride
-Two of my bros are selling their current four strokes to go to a 300 after riding my bike
-My old man will be 70 in three weeks and has sold his 350 to buy one...it is that smooth and easy
-Cutting the head is not even in question for anyone that I know with the bike...pointless mod IMO

People are too lazy to take a day and jet their bikes correctly. They want to go online and ask Thunpertalk bros for ideal jetting specs. Sadly all bikes are different, as are riding conditions. The OEM Mikunis caught a bad rep because most guys do not know how to jet a bike or are too lazy to try different settings. Albeit the 2018’s were much improved base settings compared to the ‘17s

Suspension is bone stock, and have no plans on changing it.

Titan1 wrote:
Where did you buy your ‘18 300XC for $8600 out the door? I can’t find one for under $10k OTD here. I’d drive a long ways...
Where did you buy your ‘18 300XC for $8600 out the door? I can’t find one for under $10k OTD here. I’d drive a long ways to get one for $8600. (Does your state not have sales tax or something? But even then OTD for less than MSRP on THAT bike is impressive!)
My son's fiance got her 19 for 84 out the door at Town & Country in New Jersey it was cheaper than some places were asking for 18 leftovers

Post a reply to: 300 off road

The Latest