3 weeks of Nat travel...downsides

plowboy
Edited Date/Time 6/16/2022 11:23am
Well, I had a ton of fun hitting the first three. More than an old man could have expected. Nothing I'd like more than to carry on all summer, especially with the urging from DC. Nothing has tempted me more since juicy Debbie in the 11th grade. But alas, the grass keeps growing, the dogs keep pooping, storms keep knocking huge limbs out of the trees in the yard. Three weeks of catch-up.

I don't know how a guy can endure a whole season of travel... respect. I do plan on catching a few more later on. It's an addiction fellas.
|
Rickyisms
6/14/2022 1:26pm
Jealous of your experience! Definitely on my bucket list to try and hit most nationals in one year. Making the trek to Budds?
plowboy
6/14/2022 1:29pm
Rickyisms wrote:
Jealous of your experience! Definitely on my bucket list to try and hit most nationals in one year. Making the trek to Budds?
I did last year. I dig it. I don't dig driving back east. The people are cool as hell so I won't say never.Wink
ayearinmx
6/14/2022 1:36pm
You certainly meet some great people, and have awesome memories and stories to tell... Kudos for making the effort!
plowboy
6/14/2022 1:37pm
Speaking of driving.... people complain about Cali...I'm hear to tell ya...congested...yes. but they drive fast and hold their lane. I saw less phone usage there than anywhere else. Denver is terrible. But to be honest...good ole Kansas has the worst drivers in the country. I ain't kidding...I'd rather drive across LA than Wichita any day.

The Shop

plowboy
6/14/2022 1:40pm Edited Date/Time 6/14/2022 1:41pm
ayearinmx wrote:
You certainly meet some great people, and have awesome memories and stories to tell... Kudos for making the effort!
Hey buddy... you're my hero. You set the bar WAY too high for me. Maybe if I get a camper I can do the whole deal.Smile

DC and I talked about your adventures.
ayearinmx
6/14/2022 1:59pm
Crazy thing is, 15 years later in a different van and a different series, I'm still doing it... Life on the open road gets addicting

And DC definitely hooked me up on my trip too. He made it better than I could have imagined, so I'm glad he's still out there doing the same thing for fans all this time later
gt80rider
6/14/2022 2:01pm Edited Date/Time 6/14/2022 2:01pm
At this point where burn out is rampant... I would agree with a schedule that would allow more non race weeks during the season.... our sport needs to look after the riders better.... a good way to do that is to give them a few more off weeks during the season to straight up rest and heal.... I feel like this would go a long ways towards combating the burn out that is causing so many of our top riders to skip races (kroc sx, webb mx) or from retiring so early (rv2, dungey, stew, osborn, etc)...
Joey_Bridges
6/14/2022 2:14pm
Competed in the old NORBA DH circuit for two years.
Traveling got tough, but the riders you saw on a regular basis became family.
Especially the ones in the class you were racing against.
Practicing, racing during the day, drinking beer and inhaling after dinner at night.

But you're right.
GF had to put up with the neighbors always asking where I was as she was out mowing the lawn etc...
Plus that whole, living off of your savings thing.
Adulting sucks.
plowboy
6/14/2022 2:19pm
I camped the first night at Kirtland AFB. The folks gave me a primo spot cause I'm so damn good looking. I drove the wheels off the little Mazda till my ass and eyes were dead. Pulled over and punched "hotels near me". Happened to be in Indian Wells. $64 a night...real close. I figured the car would be burned or gone and I'd be pregnant by morning but I was spent. Turned out to be the old Desi Arnez Desert Inn. Absolutely fantastic. Unbelievable in fact.

After Pala, I ripped on up to Beale AFB. Camped there all week. Watched the wildlife and the U2 shooting touch and go's all day. Pretty damn cool

I actually cheated at this point and drove home cause the hot water tank let go. Replaced it and dried out the basement carpet. The damn Throttle position sensor shit the bed on the way home with the tank. Fixed.

Drove back to Lakewood on Friday and stayed at the only crappy hotel on the entire trip...and it cost the most. Motel 6...my fault for expecting better.

All in all, my head is in the best place it's been in years. The racing has been awesome but the PEOPLE I met... unbelievably kind and cool. The whole world seems divided and partisan but I didn't see it. Say "howdy" and let the bullshit flow. I'm tellin' ya fellas...life is pretty damn good.
plowboy
6/14/2022 2:23pm
ayearinmx wrote:
Crazy thing is, 15 years later in a different van and a different series, I'm still doing it... Life on the open road gets addicting And...
Crazy thing is, 15 years later in a different van and a different series, I'm still doing it... Life on the open road gets addicting

And DC definitely hooked me up on my trip too. He made it better than I could have imagined, so I'm glad he's still out there doing the same thing for fans all this time later
Wink DC was so cool and offered me the hookup...but my budget and responsibilities at home said enough for now. You really are my hero dudeWink
Electro21
Fantasy
79th
6/14/2022 3:11pm
Rickyisms wrote:
plowboy wrote:
I did last year. I dig it. I don't dig driving back east. The people are cool as hell so I won't say never.Wink
Sounds like you had a cool trip! I grew up near Lawrence, KS and live in Northern Virginia now. I disagree that drivers in Kansas are worse, but I never really went to Wichita. I'm hoping to go to Budds Creek, depends on how my newly replaced knee is doing in August.
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
6/14/2022 3:18pm
I have no idea how the scheduling works, but wouldn’t it make sense to head up to Washougal from Hangtown. It would save a lot of miles/gas for the teams and you could have headed up that way while you are on the West Coast
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
6/14/2022 3:19pm
plowboy wrote:
I camped the first night at Kirtland AFB. The folks gave me a primo spot cause I'm so damn good looking. I drove the wheels off...
I camped the first night at Kirtland AFB. The folks gave me a primo spot cause I'm so damn good looking. I drove the wheels off the little Mazda till my ass and eyes were dead. Pulled over and punched "hotels near me". Happened to be in Indian Wells. $64 a night...real close. I figured the car would be burned or gone and I'd be pregnant by morning but I was spent. Turned out to be the old Desi Arnez Desert Inn. Absolutely fantastic. Unbelievable in fact.

After Pala, I ripped on up to Beale AFB. Camped there all week. Watched the wildlife and the U2 shooting touch and go's all day. Pretty damn cool

I actually cheated at this point and drove home cause the hot water tank let go. Replaced it and dried out the basement carpet. The damn Throttle position sensor shit the bed on the way home with the tank. Fixed.

Drove back to Lakewood on Friday and stayed at the only crappy hotel on the entire trip...and it cost the most. Motel 6...my fault for expecting better.

All in all, my head is in the best place it's been in years. The racing has been awesome but the PEOPLE I met... unbelievably kind and cool. The whole world seems divided and partisan but I didn't see it. Say "howdy" and let the bullshit flow. I'm tellin' ya fellas...life is pretty damn good.
The only place I see a divided world is on the internet and news. Out n real life we get along pretty damn well 👍
LungButter
6/14/2022 3:27pm
KennyT wrote:
I have no idea how the scheduling works, but wouldn’t it make sense to head up to Washougal from Hangtown. It would save a lot of...
I have no idea how the scheduling works, but wouldn’t it make sense to head up to Washougal from Hangtown. It would save a lot of miles/gas for the teams and you could have headed up that way while you are on the West Coast
You've been on here since 2006 and don't know why Washougal isn't the weekend after Hangtown?

Do you really think nobody has thought of that before? Tongue
plowboy
6/14/2022 3:36pm
KennyT wrote:
I have no idea how the scheduling works, but wouldn’t it make sense to head up to Washougal from Hangtown. It would save a lot of...
Everyone I talked to said I needed to hit Washugal....but it just wasn't in the cards. Ironman is a must if I carry on.
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
6/14/2022 3:50pm Edited Date/Time 6/14/2022 3:51pm
KennyT wrote:
LungButter wrote:
You've been on here since 2006 and don't know why Washougal isn't the weekend after Hangtown? Do you really think nobody has thought of that before...
You've been on here since 2006 and don't know why Washougal isn't the weekend after Hangtown?

I don’t read everything on here. So there is a legitimate reason? If I did read it and they explained it 6 months ago, that is waaaay past my memory span. Spill the beans please 😂, and I’ll ask you again next summer
plowboy
6/14/2022 3:54pm
KennyT wrote:
I don’t read everything on here. So there is a legitimate reason? If I did read it and they explained it 6 months ago, that is...
I don’t read everything on here. So there is a legitimate reason? If I did read it and they explained it 6 months ago, that is waaaay past my memory span. Spill the beans please 😂, and I’ll ask you again next summer
I'm not sure there is a legitimate reason.
plowboy
6/14/2022 5:29pm
Now it's time for a new filter and oil in the little hoss. 3000 with dino blood is the usual diet. I'm 2k over. She gets a new Wix filter every time. 70-80 mph nearly the whole way. Temps up to 105. She never skipped a beat. I think I crossed Nevada at 85 and never clicked out of cruise. Turned over 200k on the trip. This little 2.3 has been phenomenal. 30mpg...I love this zoom zoom.
USA
Fantasy
507th
6/14/2022 5:52pm
KennyT wrote:
LungButter wrote:
You've been on here since 2006 and don't know why Washougal isn't the weekend after Hangtown? Do you really think nobody has thought of that before...

KennyT wrote:
I don’t read everything on here. So there is a legitimate reason? If I did read it and they explained it 6 months ago, that is...
I believe the official answer is it is tradition to go to Washougal on the weekend/time of year that it is currently on the schedule.
bvm111
6/14/2022 5:56pm
ayearinmx wrote:
Crazy thing is, 15 years later in a different van and a different series, I'm still doing it... Life on the open road gets addicting And...

shit… it’s been 15 years… damn BlinkBlinkDizzy
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
6/14/2022 6:07pm
LungButter wrote:

KennyT wrote:
USA wrote:
I believe the official answer is it is tradition to go to Washougal on the weekend/time of year that it is currently on the schedule.
God forbid we break a traditional race weekend schedule to make the travel make sense. I mean we lost the tradition of racing 2strokes and no one batted an eye…
thewrizzle
6/14/2022 6:42pm
KennyT wrote:
USA wrote:
yak651 wrote:
God forbid we break a traditional race weekend schedule to make the travel make sense. I mean we lost the tradition of racing 2strokes and no...
God forbid we break a traditional race weekend schedule to make the travel make sense. I mean we lost the tradition of racing 2strokes and no one batted an eye…
Weather plays a big part as well.
brocster
6/14/2022 8:34pm
Don’t know if you are a beer drinker but Indian Wells has a brewery and has a beer called Lobotomy Bach that is pretty good and is 9.8% if I remember correctly

Envious of your trip and hope to do something similar in the next year or so.
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
6/14/2022 8:53pm Edited Date/Time 6/14/2022 8:53pm
brocster wrote:
Don’t know if you are a beer drinker but Indian Wells has a brewery and has a beer called Lobotomy Bach that is pretty good and...
Don’t know if you are a beer drinker but Indian Wells has a brewery and has a beer called Lobotomy Bach that is pretty good and is 9.8% if I remember correctly

Envious of your trip and hope to do something similar in the next year or so.
This beer came from the Carlsbad Pizza Port which is a stones throw from the top of the Carlsbad freeway
LungButter
6/14/2022 9:20pm
USA wrote:
That’s also the only weekend of the year they can get the needed permits.
Front242
6/15/2022 3:24am Edited Date/Time 6/15/2022 3:25am
plowboy wrote:
Speaking of driving.... people complain about Cali...I'm hear to tell ya...congested...yes. but they drive fast and hold their lane. I saw less phone usage there than...
Speaking of driving.... people complain about Cali...I'm hear to tell ya...congested...yes. but they drive fast and hold their lane. I saw less phone usage there than anywhere else. Denver is terrible. But to be honest...good ole Kansas has the worst drivers in the country. I ain't kidding...I'd rather drive across LA than Wichita any day.
i thought Ohio Columbus areas has the worst driver....thats what my friends there telling me all the time while i bitch about whats going on at there streets lol

i'm going going to Red Bud in 3 weeks for sure.... my second time....excited already
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
6/15/2022 4:34am
Cool trip, hope you get to continue. During my road trips, it usually wasn’t the state (except the FIBs near Chicago) that determined the bad drivers, but every time someone did something stupid they seemed to be in in KIA. I kept muttering to myself “see ya in a KIA” when those bastards were camped out in the left lane…
6/15/2022 8:43am
plowboy wrote:
Now it's time for a new filter and oil in the little hoss. 3000 with dino blood is the usual diet. I'm 2k over. She gets...
Now it's time for a new filter and oil in the little hoss. 3000 with dino blood is the usual diet. I'm 2k over. She gets a new Wix filter every time. 70-80 mph nearly the whole way. Temps up to 105. She never skipped a beat. I think I crossed Nevada at 85 and never clicked out of cruise. Turned over 200k on the trip. This little 2.3 has been phenomenal. 30mpg...I love this zoom zoom.
That’s the west there’s nothing out there to slow you down. The ne if you hv a new Vette is would be hard to find a stretch to hit 80. It’s all steep hills and curves. Just s. Of the mt Morris track this rest area had a wrecked pull trks to the shoulder 1/2 mi b4 and the rest area was full of totaled out trks and past it. On the 4 th week of the 5 months straight 7 days a week of 20-39 hrs straight. Your sick of constant up down tight rt left. But the scenery inn the ne is beautiful always something too look at. The g forces from driving the ne is constant you push it rt to the edge of the envelope. Physically all truckers r wore out. You need ez pass to run into the east and around it. I was dropping aprox 500 a day in the ne for tolls.

Post a reply to: 3 weeks of Nat travel...downsides

The Latest