2t or 4t

Edited Date/Time 9/29/2018 12:33am
Will be getting a bike in a good few months... maybe call it a year from now ? but just want to get as much info as I can so I’m not blind when it come to deciding... what would you suggest? Either a 2t or 4t I’m meaning more towards the cost side of it, like changing pistons or changing valves out? Which could I ride longer before having to change a piston out.. which will cost less in the long run? Have seen many forums saying your 2T are cheaper but also seeing others regarding pistons needing to be changed more frequent... the the 4t are a ball ache doing valve adjustment? Also not many shops in a good hour or two drive... I work on my own car, I know a bike will be much different but I’ll hopefully get the hang
Thanks
|
bbhMoto
9/28/2018 11:43am
Will you be racing?
It is easier to go faster on a 4T, which will cost more to fix when it becomes necessary.
2 T's are typically more fun to ride and easier/cheaper to fix, but harder to go as fast on.
Depends on what type of riding you want to do.
9/28/2018 11:53am
bbhMoto wrote:
Will you be racing? It is easier to go faster on a 4T, which will cost more to fix when it becomes necessary. 2 T's are...
Will you be racing?
It is easier to go faster on a 4T, which will cost more to fix when it becomes necessary.
2 T's are typically more fun to ride and easier/cheaper to fix, but harder to go as fast on.
Depends on what type of riding you want to do.
More just trials like a quarry then the odd mx tracks and more towards 2T

The Shop

murph783
9/28/2018 12:00pm
Honestly 4 strokes aren’t that hard to work on. It’s all just nuts and bolts, get a service manual and a torque wrench either way.
I generally do a top end-piston and rings in a 2 stroke/ piston, rings, cam chain, valve seals in a 4 stroke; every 30 hours or so on a 250. Probably overkill but for the couple hundred bucks in parts I’d rather be safe. Prices are comparable. Generally do a crank every 2nd or 3rd top end if I’m keeping it long term. Clutches Go quicker in a 2 stroke.
I’m on a 2014 YZ250F with about 90 hours on it, still on stock valves-never had to adjust them. Just took the stock clutch out at about 75 hours, was still well within spec. They’re pretty bulletproof these days.
9/28/2018 1:13pm
murph783 wrote:
Honestly 4 strokes aren’t that hard to work on. It’s all just nuts and bolts, get a service manual and a torque wrench either way. I...
Honestly 4 strokes aren’t that hard to work on. It’s all just nuts and bolts, get a service manual and a torque wrench either way.
I generally do a top end-piston and rings in a 2 stroke/ piston, rings, cam chain, valve seals in a 4 stroke; every 30 hours or so on a 250. Probably overkill but for the couple hundred bucks in parts I’d rather be safe. Prices are comparable. Generally do a crank every 2nd or 3rd top end if I’m keeping it long term. Clutches Go quicker in a 2 stroke.
I’m on a 2014 YZ250F with about 90 hours on it, still on stock valves-never had to adjust them. Just took the stock clutch out at about 75 hours, was still well within spec. They’re pretty bulletproof these days.
Cheers for the reply! So what would you say a beginner to start with? Don’t want to be jumping into the deep end right away ? I’m guessing on your 2T there’s less to change and the 4T more but your getting “ longer life “ if that would be the right way to say it
murph783
9/28/2018 1:37pm
murph783 wrote:
Honestly 4 strokes aren’t that hard to work on. It’s all just nuts and bolts, get a service manual and a torque wrench either way. I...
Cheers for the reply! So what would you say a beginner to start with? Don’t want to be jumping into the deep end right away...
Cheers for the reply! So what would you say a beginner to start with? Don’t want to be jumping into the deep end right away ? I’m guessing on your 2T there’s less to change and the 4T more but your getting “ longer life “ if that would be the right way to say it
Well, in my experience 4 strokes tend to be easier to ride. That said, you tend to develop better skills if you hone them on a 2 stroke first. As far as the mechanical side, 2 stroke is definitely going to be easier to work on, by nature of it having less moving parts. But if you take your time one isn’t all that much harder than the other.
9/28/2018 1:57pm
For a beginner starting you really can’t go wrong with a 250f, modern four strokes are jump on and ride.
Die hard 2 strokers will throw out scare stories but new bikes are bulletproof, just follow a sensible oil and filter change routine and you’re good to go.
You will ride faster for longer on a 4t, 2t can be fun, but you’ll work for it.
9/28/2018 2:08pm
Cheers for the reply’s guys means a lot, is there much difference between a 250 4t and a 2t? If there’s a big power difference wouldn’t I be better getting a 450? And for any smart arses yes iv asked this on the other thread but like to hear what other people have to say... just so I have more info, I’ll more than likely using the UKS version of craigslist.. what questions should I be asking? Then if I want to view the bike what stuff I should be looking at? to make sure I’m getting a good bike not something that has problems that will come later down the line
Zaugg
9/28/2018 4:07pm
Get a KTM 350 SXF...

Here's a thread about how durable they are: https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/350-Long-Term-Durability,1346980?unread

If you're a beginner...I'd steer clear of a 250 two-stroke and a 450f.

125 or 250f is a good bike to start with and should stick with you for a long time.

350 is manageable power. Like a modified 250f but without the low end hit.

I'd find a friend in your area that knows bikes to serve as an adviser of sorts before diving into the Craigslist pool.
9/28/2018 11:35pm Edited Date/Time 9/28/2018 11:36pm
Get a three wheeler. I just got one and it's so bitching. I can do wheelies, donuts, side wheelies, front wheelies. The possibilities are endless. Hope this helps.
WCRider
Fantasy
2301st
9/29/2018 12:33am
2T is elitist but does not cost much. 4T makes life easier but it is expensive.

Post a reply to: 2t or 4t

The Latest