2nd collar bone question

pitbike502
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 8:54am
its been almost 2 weeks on this here broken collar bone, supposedly sunday i dont have to use my sling anymore.

i know most guys here arent dr's, if not any of you, but my collar bone still looks pretty fucked up. the bones are not anywhere close to what they used to be. is this normal? im thinking about going back to the hospital for additional xrays to make sure everything is in track.
|
4/3/2009 7:29pm
If you can see deformations then you should follow up with an ortho. Preferably a sports doctor that understands action sports. A clavical will heal most of the time no matter how gnarly it looks but it will heal in that shape (on top of itself or beside etc.) I broke mine and had it plated. I was riding (cautiously) in 4 weeks. By 8 to 10 weeks no issues. And mine does not look like a "Z" when I take my shirt off. Just my 2 cents worth. The bad news is after 2 weeks that thing is probably pain free by now and if you have it plated you will go back to day one on the pain level.... Sorry
drmarkr
4/3/2009 7:39pm
Deformations? Where? On examination, or xray??

At two weeks, it's just getting stuck together decently. The sling would be optional at that point. It isn't going to "look" anything close to normal for months....in fact as it starts to form a nice callous, the bump is going to look worse before it starts to look better. A year from now it will look/feel pretty smooth over the fracture site..

I'm assuming your ortho asked you to come back at 4 weeks for a repeat xray? That would be pretty standard for an otherwise uncomplicated fracture.

On xray, you won't see any calcification of the callous until about 6 weeks or so. But it's going to feel good before then....don't get in a hurry and snap it again. Moto guys are notorious for this. Makes your ortho doc very angry....

Cygnus
4/3/2009 7:55pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 11:13pm
Plates for a collar bone. WTF is the world coming to ?

There are two kinds of MX'ers! The kind that have broken their collarbone and the kind that are gonna!

The Shop

jtomasik
4/3/2009 7:59pm
Yeah, it's normal. I have a step about 1-1/2" in my right collarbone. Doesn't make a difference.

Harden the fuck up.
pitbike502
4/3/2009 8:02pm
well that makes me feel a little better, i thought this was a little abnormal.. i am planning on still using the sling as much as possible, and i wasnt going to ride till may just to be safe. i am SUPER worried about rebreaking it, it just seems like its in the worst position possible. I broke it clean in half.

it seems like it is still in same shape as my xray
Trinitite
4/3/2009 8:07pm
i still have a bump on mine and i broke it years ago. it's normal.
jtomasik
4/3/2009 8:10pm
pitbike502 wrote:
well that makes me feel a little better, i thought this was a little abnormal.. i am planning on still using the sling as much as...
well that makes me feel a little better, i thought this was a little abnormal.. i am planning on still using the sling as much as possible, and i wasnt going to ride till may just to be safe. i am SUPER worried about rebreaking it, it just seems like its in the worst position possible. I broke it clean in half.

it seems like it is still in same shape as my xray
Holy shit. What's the top of your collarbone attach to now? Your ass?
Wolfman
4/3/2009 8:10pm
Broke mine in '93. Rode my new 125 with tears in my eyes 3 weeks later. Hurt like a mother, but I had to ride. Took me 5 years to forget that pain. Bones still overlap on mine. My advice? Find a young easy girl, and pretend you are a jack hammer.

Sorry, best I could think of right now.
pitbike502
4/3/2009 8:32pm
"Holy shit. What's the top of your collarbone attach to now? Your ass?"

it might be..
drmarkr
4/3/2009 8:32pm
Yep, it's broke. But an xray a year from now and it will look amazingly straight. 3 years from now and the only thing you'll notice is a lump at the fracture site.

Listen to your ortho doc dude. Don't rush it coming back....Depending on your age, that's an 8-10 weeker minimum.
navce78
4/4/2009 7:05am

That's my broken collarbone, I had my sling for like 4 weeks without moving the arm, then the next two weeks started moving the arm a little bit and then at 7 weeks from my crash I started riding without any pain. I didn't have any surgery or something so each piece of collarbone healed one on top of the other and I broke it in a side impect so the whole collarbone got moved a little bit but the wierd thing is I got more movent with that arm backwards LOL

Hope yours heals well. Take care
Highsider
4/4/2009 7:35am Edited Date/Time 4/4/2009 11:30am
So far, GuyB holds the record at seven collarbone breaks.
This week I got reminded by my riding buddy, Joe, that owns the Ti Lube SX Team, that he has broken one side 3 times, the other side twice and just a couple of years ago he broke one side and dislocated the other, at the same time!
And he is 58 years old. I am doing much better, having only broke a cb once!
Jimi J
4/4/2009 9:50am
I broke my collar bone in 2002 and it is now healed in an "X". I would get it checked out. Now that my collar bone is healed and everything I have two options and that is to have them shave the bone down or re break the collar bone and reset it. Still have not made a desision yet on what to do. But If I were you I would get it checked out!

Brit
bullpen58
4/4/2009 10:14am
I've broken both of mine at different times. The second time was a lot worse than the first. I wish I had the x-rays of all my injuries. Luckily for me, my second one wasn't bad enough to require surgery but some broken collar bones are.

A good friend of mine broke his REALLY badly and they had to plate that thing. Mine still has a good sized bump and slight curve to it but his looks like Alien is about to pop out of his shoulder. Gnarly!

Get well soon dude.
andymoto
4/4/2009 11:26am
Let the bone heal and keep the sling on for some alignment; doesn't need to be perfect.

After like 6-8 weeks, should be training and get some riding time in.

Took me like a year before my collarbone looked relatively normal again as doc predicted.
sundios
4/4/2009 11:41am
i borke my collarbone got surgury and i was riding 3 weeks later ....
DSteg222
4/4/2009 12:20pm
Did mine as well. Compound fracture. Fricken thing was sticking a good inch and a half out of my skin. Docs reset and put me in a sling and sewed me up. Damn thing would move everytime I would sneeze, piss, breath, blink and hurt like a MF!! Finally started to join together but it was pretty misplaced and is about an inch off from where it should be. That whole side is just a mess because I fracture my shoulder blade in 7 places as well and they cant really cast for either fracture. The bones basically fuzed together side by side. Fully functional even though it looks and feels a bit strange.
nwmx
9/7/2010 7:35pm Edited Date/Time 9/7/2010 8:00pm
the_wood109
9/7/2010 8:12pm
sundios wrote:
i borke my collarbone got surgury and i was riding 3 weeks later ....
I broke mine about a month before LL's in 97 I think. I wish that they would have put a pin in it so it healed better. I had big problems after that....it took a long time to heal and the bone sticking poking at my skin made it extremely uncomfortable to wear a chest protector and my arm would get numb and tingly for years after. I still wish they would have done that now so I could have probably raced that year. Oh well.
yamahuh
9/8/2010 5:05am
I would follow up with your Ortho and listen to their advice. Mine was a couple breaks and after a month the bones were still floating around and I had to get it plated/pinned. The Dr. told me it would eventually heal but it would just take a lot longer and he gave it a month to see if it would start to heal up on it's own. I wish they would have plated it immediately but I think they have to wait (probably has something to do with ins.).
jasonward73
9/8/2010 5:26am
Get SURGERY!!!!!!!!!!! Broke mine on a Sunday (3 weeks ago), surgery on Tuesday, and was working and functioning like nothing happened on Thursday. Doc wanted me in a sling only to be a visual reminder to those around me so they wouldn't smack me on the back or grab that arm. Of course, I haven't worn the sling. I can't go lift weights or anything but my day to day mundane tasks are not affected in any way. The doc said I could pass on the surgery and suffer for weeks and it might heal up okay or get surgery and feel like normal almost right away.

I like normal.

Post a reply to: 2nd collar bone question

The Latest