28 Year Old CR500 Takes on the British Champs

Related:
Create New Tag

9/25/2017 2:51 AM

Watch Nev Bradshaw show that the old bikes can still hold there own !

|

9/25/2017 3:09 AM

Awesome! To me this is proof that in moto it's 90% the rider

|

9/25/2017 3:17 AM

This bike is now for sale for £6k

|

9/25/2017 7:35 PM

What i made of that is double the displacement getting yarded by 1/2 the displacement. Old technology took a good kick to the balls watching that.

|

9/25/2017 7:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/25/2017 7:45 PM

Richard Tease II wrote:

What i made of that is double the displacement getting yarded by 1/2 the displacement. Old technology took a good kick to the balls watching that.

Nah. The 500 wasn't faster even among the contemporary half-displacements of its time. The premier-level class had been well established as 250s by '89.

|

9/25/2017 9:41 PM

Richard Tease II wrote:

What i made of that is double the displacement getting yarded by 1/2 the displacement. Old technology took a good kick to the balls watching that.

Dirty Points wrote:

Nah. The 500 wasn't faster even among the contemporary half-displacements of its time. The premier-level class had been well established as 250s by '89.

Maybe in the US. The 500 class was still premier in Europe. Thorpe, Geboers, Jobe et al were vying for the World Championship in '89. I was there hoping Leisk would win it.

|

9/25/2017 10:29 PM

500's are always thought of as the over powering monster that out runs everyone. clearly in this video it shows if not done correctly and ridden like a 250 it won't do as well as it could.
no clue who was on the bike, but looked to me that revving it and blowing corners won't make any bike "look" good, but hey this is just a keyboard opinion. I sure couldn't do better.

|

9/25/2017 10:45 PM

wardy wrote:

500's are always thought of as the over powering monster that out runs everyone. clearly in this video it shows if not done correctly and ridden like a 250 it won't do as well as it could.
no clue who was on the bike, but looked to me that revving it and blowing corners won't make any bike "look" good, but hey this is just a keyboard opinion. I sure couldn't do better.

Neville Bradshaw was riding it.

|

9/25/2017 11:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/25/2017 11:09 PM

wardy wrote:

500's are always thought of as the over powering monster that out runs everyone. clearly in this video it shows if not done correctly and ridden like a 250 it won't do as well as it could.
no clue who was on the bike, but looked to me that revving it and blowing corners won't make any bike "look" good, but hey this is just a keyboard opinion. I sure couldn't do better.

Whenever I see a video of a present-day rider on a CR500 I also feel that they are riding it in the wrong gear.

It took time to learn how to get the best out of those bikes.

|

9/25/2017 11:48 PM

Kick ass track! Riders on a modern 2 stroke, going as fast they did, because of the bike. Rider on a 28 yr old 500, going as fast as he did, in spite of the bike. Easy to sit and judge, but you have to have saddle time on a 500, to know what a beast they are. That fella did okay on his.

|

9/26/2017 12:16 AM

Nev Bradshaw is riding it, he will be riding for Team South Africa in the MXoN .

And yes, everyone revs them like a 250, because 'sounds fast' .

|

9/26/2017 12:25 AM

Last time I saw a 500 ridden in anger was at the MXGP in Australia. Byrne and MacFarlane RIP holeshot on 2 stroke 500's led the field for maybe half the race. Back in 2001 I think. Memorable stuff.

|

9/26/2017 12:33 AM

It was there any other rider with GP experience? Good speed on CR 500

|

18 Yamaha YZ450F
94 Honda CR 500
90 Honda CR 500
81 Yamaha SR 500
68 BSA Thunderbolt
69 Triumph Tiger 100

9/26/2017 12:43 AM

Dropbear wrote:

Last time I saw a 500 ridden in anger was at the MXGP in Australia. Byrne and MacFarlane RIP holeshot on 2 stroke 500's led the field for maybe half the race. Back in 2001 I think. Memorable stuff.

I was there. (Only spectating) Great memories.

|

9/26/2017 12:51 AM

Wow ! Bike is so crisp and sounds mean. Track has a few gravity cavities that would take my breath away. Excellent vid, thanks.

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

9/26/2017 1:43 AM

philG wrote:

Nev Bradshaw is riding it, he will be riding for Team South Africa in the MXoN .

And yes, everyone revs them like a 250, because 'sounds fast' .

I think why modern riders rev the 500 2 stroke hard is because they are used to revving the shit out of 4 strokes. Sounds counter intuitive but that's my take. If they rode a gear higher and used the clutch it would be a sweeter ride.

|

9/26/2017 6:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/26/2017 6:08 AM

Nev killed it on that thing against some pretty well established modern riders.

If you go to 15mins into this video

Nev talks a little bit about the bike and how it rides, looks to have some trick parts on including modern forks. So epic to watch him haul that thing around Foxhills.
|

9/26/2017 6:30 AM

Rowlands wrote:

Nev killed it on that thing against some pretty well established modern riders.

If you go to 15mins into this video

Nev talks a little bit about the bike and how it rides, looks to have some trick parts on including modern forks. So epic to watch him haul that thing around Foxhills.

I was wondering if he did something with the forks...that stock Honda stuff in the late 80s/early 90s was the stuff of nightmares, even by the standards back then...

|

9/26/2017 8:41 AM

philG wrote:

Nev Bradshaw is riding it, he will be riding for Team South Africa in the MXoN .

And yes, everyone revs them like a 250, because 'sounds fast' .

Dropbear wrote:

I think why modern riders rev the 500 2 stroke hard is because they are used to revving the shit out of 4 strokes. Sounds counter intuitive but that's my take. If they rode a gear higher and used the clutch it would be a sweeter ride.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MOVVRTIksro

|

9/26/2017 8:53 AM

That was the british two smoke champ races @ foxhill last month.here's the o/a result sheet.

Photo

|

9/26/2017 8:54 AM

omalley wrote:

I was wondering if he did something with the forks...that stock Honda stuff in the late 80s/early 90s was the stuff of nightmares, even by the standards back then...

'89 Honda forks were bad, but '89 KX forks would hold up well, even in comparison to some modern stuff.

|