Looks like Taft has it handled, 6 second gap now
Thelen20
10/1/2017 1:41pm
Lamay has fallen back a few spots
gobig.com
10/1/2017 2:03pm

450 results. Track got rough!
10/1/2017 3:31pm
I thought home town boy Merrett would kill it in his first race. Doc said he wasn't ready for 30 min motos. I'm glad Vet classes are only 5 laps, lol.

The Shop

Thelen20
10/1/2017 3:44pm
I thought home town boy Merrett would kill it in his first race. Doc said he wasn't ready for 30 min motos. I'm glad Vet classes...
I thought home town boy Merrett would kill it in his first race. Doc said he wasn't ready for 30 min motos. I'm glad Vet classes are only 5 laps, lol.
He had 5th place speed today. It's a tough field out there!!! Taft has top 10 national speed and Tennant and Kobusch showed that they have it too! GNARLY DUDES!!!
10/1/2017 3:48pm
Thelen20 wrote:
He had 5th place speed today. It's a tough field out there!!! Taft has top 10 national speed and Tennant and Kobusch showed that they have...
He had 5th place speed today. It's a tough field out there!!! Taft has top 10 national speed and Tennant and Kobusch showed that they have it too! GNARLY DUDES!!!
A few of my buddies where like, "There are no big name riders". They miss the fact a lot of the guys are the future of our Pro Class.
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4299th
10/1/2017 4:15pm Edited Date/Time 10/1/2017 4:16pm
A few of my buddies where like, "There are no big name riders". They miss the fact a lot of the guys are the future of...
A few of my buddies where like, "There are no big name riders". They miss the fact a lot of the guys are the future of our Pro Class.
I can remember more than a few times seeing future stars I had not heard of suddenly running up front with those 'big names' at Swan in October. Some guys named Wilson, Anderson, Regal, Osborne, Martin, and Bloss first burst onto my radar at the Pro Challenge.
10/1/2017 5:01pm
I can remember more than a few times seeing future stars I had not heard of suddenly running up front with those 'big names' at Swan...
I can remember more than a few times seeing future stars I had not heard of suddenly running up front with those 'big names' at Swan in October. Some guys named Wilson, Anderson, Regal, Osborne, Martin, and Bloss first burst onto my radar at the Pro Challenge.
Now their like, "No one fast is here." 3 years from now they will be like, "I remember seeing him at the Pro Chanllenge. I told everyone to watch that kid.'' LOL
RPM68
10/1/2017 5:37pm
Line selection was key lol

10/1/2017 6:01pm
RPM68 wrote:
Line selection was key lol[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/10/01/217784/s1200_IMG_4169.jpg[/img]

That looks like you may be a "little'' off track, lol.
Thelen20
10/1/2017 7:13pm
RPM68 wrote:
Line selection was key lol[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/10/01/217784/s1200_IMG_4169.jpg[/img]

There was no stone left unturned out there that's for sure!

I was the fourth from last moto today and man, the holes and bumps we're huge! Rpm found the only smooth section of track out there, lol

I actually really enjoy the challenge of a track in that condition . . . My bike tracked straight and felt balanced, but my arms didn't like it. I need to ride more, I was horrible out there . . . But I had fun and left 100 percent healthy except for the blisters on my hands . . . Which are no worse right now than they were on Friday afternoon. The duct tape was the hot ticket! Lol

Just got home, it was a fantastic weekend jam packed with fantastic racing on a fantastic track!
RPM68
10/1/2017 8:10pm Edited Date/Time 10/1/2017 8:11pm
i was going slow enough on the '96 I had time to find lines.

Track was fun, plus been racing there since '91
RPM68
10/1/2017 8:12pm Edited Date/Time 10/1/2017 8:14pm
RPM68 wrote:

That looks like you may be a "little'' off track, lol.
you sure do have a strong opinion for a guy that is never on the track "son"
10/1/2017 8:17pm
I'm always at the track announcing, just not on the track enough, lol.
RPM68
10/1/2017 8:25pm
I'm always at the track announcing, just not on the track enough, lol.
At, is the key word. Not "On."
Wells423
10/1/2017 9:28pm Edited Date/Time 10/1/2017 9:31pm
Four laps is ridiculous. No wonder the sport is dying. SMH.
33 classes!!. 4 laps may be too many! Lol! May need headlights. 85 9-13? Not needed In addition to 7-11, 12-15, 7-15 beginner, plus the super...
33 classes!!. 4 laps may be too many! Lol! May need headlights. 85 9-13? Not needed In addition to 7-11, 12-15, 7-15 beginner, plus the super minis have a 7-12?not needed
A 65 9-12?not needed In addition to 65 7-9 and 65 10- 12?
So there are 3 classes that could be eliminated plus the 5 "future pro" classes and youve got it down to 25 classes. Added 80 minutes back into the schedule leaving room for 1 more 2.5 minute lap for each of the 25 classes, or 2 more laps for some classes, 1 more lap for others, and 0 more for the beginner classes. How ever you want to spread the value.
BUT!! I did just take over $3200 out of the promoters hands. Ah well 4 laps it is. Want ride time? Stay home and practice like so many do these days, or go race hare scrambles like so many do these days.
This was my first and most likely last time to attend the pro challenge. Let me start off by saying Swan is probably the best track I've ever ridden. The layout is really fast and flowing, the dirt is amazing, and the jumps are nice and safe. Nice indoor plumbing, showers, trash barrels and shade everywhere in the pits and great grandstands for viewing etc. Its a top notch facility! My problem lies with the schedule or lack there of. I don't nor have I ever owned or operated a track so please let me know if I'm wrong in my complaints but here goes. We started practice Saturday an hour late. Just a handful of motos into the program they fully peeped the track for pro practice, prep and practice taking an hour or more. They go back to the program for more motos making it to moto 20 before canning the program for the day. They then do another full prep for the pro motos, run the pros then run 5 classes of (sorry TJ) total bullshit future pro classes comprised of kids who have already raced 2 to 3 classes that day while others were screwed. Next they prep the track for a night series race that preceded to run on well past midnight. Roll on to Sunday, again they are late getting practice started knowing they are way behind in the schedule and go through the full opening ceremonies for day two. The schedule ran quicker today as they didn't mess with the track as much but the last moto wasn't over until around 7. So I was literally at a race for 2 days to ride 8 laps and arrive home at 10 on a Sunday. The rider counts sucked in most the classes today as well because a lot of folks left. I was pitted with folks from Mississippi Arkansas Louisiana Houston and Galveston. Some of these folks won't be home till past midnight and weren't to pumped on it. I had quite a few folks tell me they won't be back next year. It honestly sends the vibe that they don't give a shit about the people keeping them in business. Honestly cut the bullshit future pro classes and I think the pros can handle an unprepared track considering they dropped the gate for half the other motos after the pros ran without fixing the track. If they'd do that it would easily save two hours or more. Start practice on time and now you've saved 3 hours off each day. Leaving at 4 would have been much more reasonable for a Sunday race that is attended by mostly out of town riders. They just never seemed to kick it in gear or care they were so far behind. A lot of people were over it and just wanted to leave or did leave without running one of their two four lap motos.
10/1/2017 10:55pm Edited Date/Time 10/1/2017 11:41pm
Four laps is ridiculous. No wonder the sport is dying. SMH.
33 classes!!. 4 laps may be too many! Lol! May need headlights. 85 9-13? Not needed In addition to 7-11, 12-15, 7-15 beginner, plus the super...
33 classes!!. 4 laps may be too many! Lol! May need headlights. 85 9-13? Not needed In addition to 7-11, 12-15, 7-15 beginner, plus the super minis have a 7-12?not needed
A 65 9-12?not needed In addition to 65 7-9 and 65 10- 12?
So there are 3 classes that could be eliminated plus the 5 "future pro" classes and youve got it down to 25 classes. Added 80 minutes back into the schedule leaving room for 1 more 2.5 minute lap for each of the 25 classes, or 2 more laps for some classes, 1 more lap for others, and 0 more for the beginner classes. How ever you want to spread the value.
BUT!! I did just take over $3200 out of the promoters hands. Ah well 4 laps it is. Want ride time? Stay home and practice like so many do these days, or go race hare scrambles like so many do these days.
Wells423 wrote:
This was my first and most likely last time to attend the pro challenge. Let me start off by saying Swan is probably the best track...
This was my first and most likely last time to attend the pro challenge. Let me start off by saying Swan is probably the best track I've ever ridden. The layout is really fast and flowing, the dirt is amazing, and the jumps are nice and safe. Nice indoor plumbing, showers, trash barrels and shade everywhere in the pits and great grandstands for viewing etc. Its a top notch facility! My problem lies with the schedule or lack there of. I don't nor have I ever owned or operated a track so please let me know if I'm wrong in my complaints but here goes. We started practice Saturday an hour late. Just a handful of motos into the program they fully peeped the track for pro practice, prep and practice taking an hour or more. They go back to the program for more motos making it to moto 20 before canning the program for the day. They then do another full prep for the pro motos, run the pros then run 5 classes of (sorry TJ) total bullshit future pro classes comprised of kids who have already raced 2 to 3 classes that day while others were screwed. Next they prep the track for a night series race that preceded to run on well past midnight. Roll on to Sunday, again they are late getting practice started knowing they are way behind in the schedule and go through the full opening ceremonies for day two. The schedule ran quicker today as they didn't mess with the track as much but the last moto wasn't over until around 7. So I was literally at a race for 2 days to ride 8 laps and arrive home at 10 on a Sunday. The rider counts sucked in most the classes today as well because a lot of folks left. I was pitted with folks from Mississippi Arkansas Louisiana Houston and Galveston. Some of these folks won't be home till past midnight and weren't to pumped on it. I had quite a few folks tell me they won't be back next year. It honestly sends the vibe that they don't give a shit about the people keeping them in business. Honestly cut the bullshit future pro classes and I think the pros can handle an unprepared track considering they dropped the gate for half the other motos after the pros ran without fixing the track. If they'd do that it would easily save two hours or more. Start practice on time and now you've saved 3 hours off each day. Leaving at 4 would have been much more reasonable for a Sunday race that is attended by mostly out of town riders. They just never seemed to kick it in gear or care they were so far behind. A lot of people were over it and just wanted to leave or did leave without running one of their two four lap motos.
Feeling this way is normal. Track owners hear complaints on these issues often. Subconsciously we all know this is a lifestyle choice we make going to these races. We almost instinctively go to race after race with the mindset that SOMETHING will be better about the race weekend than was the case at the previous race. Its a part of the racer's mentality. It is what makes us do things like send the wife to pick up suspension during the week while we work knowing she doesnt necessarily want to. Have the wife take the rider to a practice session with the trainer during the week when she has plenty of other stuff shed likento do. Buy holeshot devices that dont always mean holeshots, and to keep this short (wink wink), optimistically run that chain and sprocket set one more time than we probably should. Usually SOMETHING does go better to further embed our optimistic racerhead ways, whether it is results or a shorter day or a seperate track for the 50s or running a quicker time or clearing a jump never jumped or better start or beating someone we've hardly ever beaten or shorter trip home or day off work following our return. SOMETHING. That SOMETHING may only happen once or twice a year but it helps condition us for the next "great challenge". That challenge usually being a big race that is one of only a few big races each year that we can reasonably get to from our home town that hasnt necessarily always been good to us in terms of everything that went on, but somewhere we found enough promise collectively that we return the following year with a plan to get what we want out of the deal. What we want may just be being at a cool place (ran by cool unique people who share in our passion so much theyve dedicated thier lives and often a small fortune to it) doing cool stuff with friends and family nearby, all disguised by a desire to win motos and go home early. We just notice all the things we wish were different while we continue to do it, like not always winning motos and instead getting home the next day. Track owners and thier family/friends are smoked from days of work leading up to the event and nearly a 24 hr schedule during the event, and plenty of work to follow. They cant make it perfect but it is a lot more perfect than staying home. Yet our complaints are also useful in shaping the experience provided by the tracks who must be doing something right to draw these kinds of turnouts.
RPM68
10/1/2017 11:13pm
I had my first race at swan when I was 4 and will prolly have my last race there at 60, however for Trey to water the track with 4 Motos left was retarded. With that being said. I sincerely appreciate him taking time in the race programs to offer Gods word with Steve Wise being what I woke up to, and everyone stopping their steps to hear our National Anthem. Simple things go a long way, and for some reason growing up at the pro challenge and not getting home until 2 am was just the tradition of it. Call me crazy, but I love it. I used to beg my parents to miss Monday school after pro challenge but they told me "If I have to work you have to go to school, play hard requires working hard."

It's a simple lesson I've lived by since I've been 4.

Long live Swan Pro Challenge
10/2/2017 12:32am
RPM68 wrote:
I had my first race at swan when I was 4 and will prolly have my last race there at 60, however for Trey to water...
I had my first race at swan when I was 4 and will prolly have my last race there at 60, however for Trey to water the track with 4 Motos left was retarded. With that being said. I sincerely appreciate him taking time in the race programs to offer Gods word with Steve Wise being what I woke up to, and everyone stopping their steps to hear our National Anthem. Simple things go a long way, and for some reason growing up at the pro challenge and not getting home until 2 am was just the tradition of it. Call me crazy, but I love it. I used to beg my parents to miss Monday school after pro challenge but they told me "If I have to work you have to go to school, play hard requires working hard."

It's a simple lesson I've lived by since I've been 4.

Long live Swan Pro Challenge
Spoken by a weary man who is still pickin out red bugers!!!
Thelen20
10/2/2017 7:06am
Finally on a PC where I can embed mine and ill post a few other videos too

2017 #swanmx #prochallenge 450 moto 1 first lap action part 1@swanmx

A post shared by mitchell thelen (@impalenthelen) on Sep 30, 2017 at 2:16pm PDT

2017 #swanmx #prochallenge 450 moto 1 first lap part 2 , going through the pro section @swanmx

A post shared by mitchell thelen (@impalenthelen) on Sep 30, 2017 at 2:32pm PDT

Premixed112
10/2/2017 12:23pm
More to come later on, and I also filmed out there on Sunday as well!
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4299th
10/2/2017 12:28pm
More to come later on, and I also filmed out there on Sunday as well!
SAHWEET!

Post a reply to: $25K Texas Pro Challenge This Weekend

The Latest