250f too fast and heavy but I’m too big for non full sized bikes

Related:
Create New Tag

1/28/2020 6:08 AM

Hi, I’m 15 years old and I currently ride a crf125fb and it’s getting way too small for me. Been riding for 8 months and been picking things up very very fast. I’m 5,9” and weigh 60kg. I’m thinking that a 125 two stroke is the way to go but I’m really not sure if I’m experienced enough for the power and wondering if it’s too much. would really love to chat to someone with a lot of experience about what bike is best for me. I would like to start riding motocross because I ride a lot of off road farm land and trails through forests. I would like to get a full sized bike because I’m still growing and don’t wanna waste my money on a smaller bike and out grow it 6 months later. I’ve sat on a yz85 big wheel in the dealer and it was too small for me the guys said.

|

1/28/2020 6:17 AM

Honestly i think you should pick up a 250f and give it a try. If you're progressing quickly then this may be your best route. In my opinion the 250f's are easier to handle than a 125, wherein the power is more linear and doesn't catch you off guard. The both has the same stature anyhow, so from a size perspective you can't go wrong

|

1/28/2020 6:19 AM

250f. You will grow into within the next year or so and much easier to ride for a slower rider than a 125.

|

1/28/2020 6:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/28/2020 6:48 AM

+1 on the 250F. My first MX bike ever was a 250F and although at first it felt too fast I soon caught up and it was perfect. You're already an experienced rider so a 250F will be ideal. The beauty of 250F's is they're somewhat beginner friendly but more than capable of going flat out when you're used to it!

As far as the weight, like most bikes these days it won't feel heavy once you're riding it.

|

If talk is cheap, silence must be expensive because nobody can afford it!

1/28/2020 6:49 AM

Try a 125 from someone. They are much lighter than a 250f and are much more forgiving if something goes wrong. Also you will learn a lot more from riding one, like using the rear brake and hitting your shifts right.

|

1/28/2020 7:08 AM

I’m sort of not allowed to get a 250f because of my dad being scared that it’s too heavy and will crush my leg or something but he likes the idea of the lighter 2 stroke but thinks that it could be a little too powerful for me. My dad doesn’t really trust my opinion too much because he thinks that I know literally nothing but that’s another story haha. He’s taking me to the dealerships again and he’s gonna chat to the guys there about what they think is right then he will probably listen to what they have to say.

Would the 125 two stroke be too costly having to rebuild it every 15 hours or so or is otherwise?
Also We did go and have a look at a 2017 ktm 125sx and it had some good parts and money into it such as a full hgs exhaust, v force reed block, and a new head. Do those modifications make the bike more pleasant to ride or harder to handle than stock?

|

1/28/2020 7:11 AM

250f, or 125. Depends on budget. If you got 7k, then go 250f. With only 2k or less, its a 125.

|

1/28/2020 7:11 AM

#434 wrote:

Try a 125 from someone. They are much lighter than a 250f and are much more forgiving if something goes wrong. Also you will learn a lot more from riding one, like using the rear brake and hitting your shifts right.

That is what I’ve been told by a couple other people that we know. But I don’t really know anyone that actually owns a 250f or a 125 to actually try which sucks

|

1/28/2020 7:12 AM

loftyair wrote:

250f, or 125. Depends on budget. If you got 7k, then go 250f. With only 2k or less, its a 125.

I have around the 6k below mark

|

1/28/2020 7:12 AM

Weight difference isn't much but a few pounds - motocross is dangerous and you could hurt yourself on a 125 just as easy as a 250f.

My vote in your case is a 125 - they will teach you a lot about corner speed, shifting and brakes. They can teach you about wrenching too - easy to rebuild on your own (offsets rebuild costs). Ride a 125 for a season then start 250f shopping.

|

1/28/2020 7:13 AM

loftyair wrote:

Dom_Cassar wrote:

I have around the 6k below mark

Aussie dollars by the way.

|

1/28/2020 7:19 AM

The 125 will be perfect! It will not be too costly. you can go more than 15 hours between rebuilds

|

1/28/2020 7:19 AM

bierbower105 wrote:

Weight difference isn't much but a few pounds - motocross is dangerous and you could hurt yourself on a 125 just as easy as a 250f.

My vote in your case is a 125 - they will teach you a lot about corner speed, shifting and brakes. They can teach you about wrenching too - easy to rebuild on your own (offsets rebuild costs). Ride a 125 for a season then start 250f shopping.

Yeah, I am thinking the 125 Could be the go I’m just hoping the guys in the shop say either 125 or 250f because I’m not too keen on getting like a 230f or something like that because I do wanna learn to ride track.

|

1/28/2020 7:20 AM

Moto520 wrote:

The 125 will be perfect! It will not be too costly. you can go more than 15 hours between rebuilds

How often is a rebuild then?

|

1/28/2020 7:47 AM

Dom_Cassar wrote:

I’m sort of not allowed to get a 250f because of my dad being scared that it’s too heavy and will crush my leg or something but he likes the idea of the lighter 2 stroke but thinks that it could be a little too powerful for me. My dad doesn’t really trust my opinion too much because he thinks that I know literally nothing but that’s another story haha. He’s taking me to the dealerships again and he’s gonna chat to the guys there about what they think is right then he will probably listen to what they have to say.

Would the 125 two stroke be too costly having to rebuild it every 15 hours or so or is otherwise?
Also We did go and have a look at a 2017 ktm 125sx and it had some good parts and money into it such as a full hgs exhaust, v force reed block, and a new head. Do those modifications make the bike more pleasant to ride or harder to handle than stock?

A dealership is usually the worst place to get advice. While some dealers have knowledgeable staff, it seems like these days the majority of salesman know little to nothing about dirt bikes and will recommend whatever they have in stock regardless of if it’s the right bike for you.

|

1/28/2020 8:02 AM

Dom_Cassar wrote:

SPYGUY wrote:

A dealership is usually the worst place to get advice. While some dealers have knowledgeable staff, it seems like these days the majority of salesman know little to nothing about dirt bikes and will recommend whatever they have in stock regardless of if it’s the right bike for you.

Yeah dealerships typically just want to make a sale but sometimes they can be pretty helpful especially the one near where I live. Main reason we’re heading there it because my dad doesn’t trust my knowledge and he wants a “professional” opinion. I heard that there is a motocross club in my town not sure if you just become a member to ride there or they actually have people you can talk to there but I think that we possibility could be reaching out there too for some advice but I think with all this help I’m getting From this thread I should be set.

|

1/28/2020 8:20 AM

I got my first 125 when I was 14. You are plenty old and big enough for either a 125 or a 250F.
I like the 125 because it is lighter, cheaper to maintain, and will teach you more about being a good rider. (Plus I'm a 2-stroke fan.)
The 250F is also a good choice, because of the linear power as stated above.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

1/28/2020 8:24 AM

1-Fitty

|

Name withheld... Esquire

1/28/2020 8:37 AM

See if you can find a very recent 125 that is used (maybe 3 years old or so). If you stick with it, you can later move up to a 250F and sell the 125. You can have the proper bike now and the proper bike later.

|

1/28/2020 8:41 AM

I was 5'7" and 54kg when I went from a trailbike to a 250F, the first few rides were scary but I quickly got used to it.

If you are wanting to learn to ride motocross a 125 IS NOT the way to go. Very peaky power delivery and not as easy to ride. A 250F weighs maybe 5lbs more? And since you are starting out, I'd bet you can put at least 100 hours on the motor before you have to start rebuilding it.

|

1/28/2020 9:29 AM

125 without question.

|

1/28/2020 9:34 AM

Dom_Cassar wrote:

How often is a rebuild then?

You could get 30+ hours out of a 125s top end easily.

|

1/28/2020 9:50 AM

First, don't let anyone talk you into a 230 trail bike - especially if weight is a concern. A 125 is about 200 pounds and a 250f about 220. That makes a difference. The 125 feels much lighter (not just weight on a scale, but reciprocating mass) and in that respect it is easier to ride. In another respect, the 250f is easier to ride, as its power delivery is more linear and predictable, and shift points aren't as important. I'd say get a 125 as they are very fun to ride. You'll get used to the power fairly quickly and actually be able to use a good chunk of the power it has. Holding a bike wide open while hitting your shift points and using the clutch to try to get everything out of it is much more fun than managing the power of a bike that has more power than you need. That said, it will be some time before a 125 would be holding you back due to lack of power, and if that time does come, you'll be a better rider for it. Just be careful with it for the first while until you get used to it and you'll be fine.

|

Current rides: 2016 KTM 250SXF, 2017 KTM 350SXF

1/28/2020 9:53 AM

I think at this moment , a 125 would be the right choice. Spend a year or two on one and go from there. You could jump on a 250F after you get familiar with the full sized bikes. A 125 2 stroke is definitely a jump up from a CRF125 , so you want to take your time learning it. And if you are hitting trails and so forth , and just starting the moto-X thing , you aren't going to be very hard on it. You could get 30 - 40hrs out of a top end. Which a top end kit is only about a $150.00 , and very easy to do.

Make sure you have someone with you , that knows how to jet the bike correctly before the first ride. Don't want to fry the motor on the first ride.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

1/28/2020 9:55 AM

MPJC wrote:

First, don't let anyone talk you into a 230 trail bike - especially if weight is a concern. A 125 is about 200 pounds and a 250f about 220. That makes a difference. The 125 feels much lighter (not just weight on a scale, but reciprocating mass) and in that respect it is easier to ride. In another respect, the 250f is easier to ride, as its power delivery is more linear and predictable, and shift points aren't as important. I'd say get a 125 as they are very fun to ride. You'll get used to the power fairly quickly and actually be able to use a good chunk of the power it has. Holding a bike wide open while hitting your shift points and using the clutch to try to get everything out of it is much more fun than managing the power of a bike that has more power than you need. That said, it will be some time before a 125 would be holding you back due to lack of power, and if that time does come, you'll be a better rider for it. Just be careful with it for the first while until you get used to it and you'll be fine.

Most these new 125's are 193 -195lbs. A good 25lbs less then a 250F.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

1/28/2020 4:21 PM

I raced 500’s my whole life and wrecked my knee on a CRF100. Big bike won’t necessarily hurt you. Just be easy on the throttle for a while.

|

1/28/2020 6:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/28/2020 6:51 PM

Id say you want a 2020CRF450. Put bigger power valves and cams in it with a fmf fatty.

|

1/28/2020 7:01 PM

125 is the way to go, every kid should ride a 125 before getting on a 250F

and they are easier, and cheaper to maintain than a 250f, you will learn way more riding one than a 250F,

|

1/28/2020 7:15 PM

BroFoSho wrote:

I was 5'7" and 54kg when I went from a trailbike to a 250F, the first few rides were scary but I quickly got used to it.

If you are wanting to learn to ride motocross a 125 IS NOT the way to go. Very peaky power delivery and not as easy to ride. A 250F weighs maybe 5lbs more? And since you are starting out, I'd bet you can put at least 100 hours on the motor before you have to start rebuilding it.

How about learning proper technique on a 125 before getting on a powerful 250f? Especially on a motocross track. Doing jumps and sections before he's skilled enough but simply because he's got enough power to

|

1/28/2020 7:31 PM

No question, 125 all day long. Put rings in it twice a year and have fun. Literally takes 1 hour to do for $110.

|