250f / 150 sx

plf35
Hello, I drove for several years a motocross in the trails and since 2 years I ride on the track. my 1st year I ride a YZ 250, by cons was a little too powerful, I change this year for a RMZ 250, I'm faster in 250f, cons I think for a long time to change for a 150 SX!

For those who made the change from the 250F to the SX 150, are you satisfied with your change? Will your speed on the track decrease?

The 150 SX is probably more fun to ride, for cons is it more difficult to ride?

Considering that I am a novice driver?
|
hyler199
8/3/2019 7:38am
Not much to say other than try it out. Worst thing that can happen is you sell the 150 and get another 250f.
I am a fan of 150s but to do big jumps you really have to have corner speed. If you are a Novice C/D rider then it wont make a difference.

Try the 150! If after 1 year you dont like it then sell it and buy another 250f
8/3/2019 8:15am
TSP from australia has ported and tuned an TC125 husqvarna and it puts down 46rwhp and wins flattrack races against 250f.
JohnMatrix
8/3/2019 8:47am Edited Date/Time 8/3/2019 8:49am
150 definitely takes a good bit more skill to keep speed and clear tricky obstacles. It is fast but it’s still like a small bore bike in that it’s fairly gutless off the bottom. When it comes on power it’s a little rocket ship. You have to stay in or very near the power on a 150 to ride it fast, and that can be tiring. I take my 150 out occasionally when I’m riding faster, more open tracks otherwise I default to my 250sx. I will say the 150 is a shit ton of fun on trails. In the winter months I gear it to 13/51 and it’s fun in tight single track or open fast stuff. If you get into really tight trails, like walking speed, it’s super easy to maneuver since it’s so light weight. 250f will definitely have more torque and a broader spread of power, but at the expense of weight and rotating mass. The 150 feels like a mountain bike with a motor.

The Shop

8/3/2019 11:33am
Everything those guys said ^^^^

We have a 150 SX and my son is pretty fast on it, but an equal rider on a 250F will make him really work. Even so... 150's are a lot of fun and since I'm riding for fun, that's what I'm doing.
Drop-Bear
8/3/2019 3:25pm
I'm a lot faster on a 150 than I am on a 250F.

Also, check this out. Vull of excuses, but, fact is, 150's are just fast. And. Fun!

plf35
8/3/2019 8:22pm
firstly thanks for the answers! I do not ride to compete, but simply to have fun! I was asking the question, because I had a lot of trouble being fast on my YZ 250, I don’t know if it was because it was my first year on a track or if it was because it was too powerful or simply because it was a 2 strokes?

It’s my fear of returning to a 2-stroke, I know it's fun to drive, but I wondered if it took advance skills to have fun on this bike?

For those who have one, what you think of the stock suspension? I am a 200 lbs driver, I ide my stock 250f fork with some adjustment? should it do the same or they are too soft?

Sorry for my english i’m from Quebec

Thanks
8/4/2019 7:19am Edited Date/Time 8/4/2019 7:26am
plf35 wrote:
firstly thanks for the answers! I do not ride to compete, but simply to have fun! I was asking the question, because I had a lot...
firstly thanks for the answers! I do not ride to compete, but simply to have fun! I was asking the question, because I had a lot of trouble being fast on my YZ 250, I don’t know if it was because it was my first year on a track or if it was because it was too powerful or simply because it was a 2 strokes?

It’s my fear of returning to a 2-stroke, I know it's fun to drive, but I wondered if it took advance skills to have fun on this bike?

For those who have one, what you think of the stock suspension? I am a 200 lbs driver, I ide my stock 250f fork with some adjustment? should it do the same or they are too soft?

Thanks
I think 2 strokes are harder to ride well. You need to be very proficient in the use of the clutch, brakes, and you gotta keep it in the powerband. BUT... I had an '05 YZ450F, '16 KX 250F and, while they were easy to ride at a certain speed, they were harder for me to ride _fast_ because the 4s is just a heavy, powerful, beast loaded with spinning parts that want to make the bike stand up and I just could not get comfortable on the things.

Case in point... my son was riding our '04 KX 125 before he got his current '19 KTM 150 SX. I was on my 250F. He started beating me. For fun, I bought an '02 RM 134. Almost instantly, I'm keeping up with him and making a pass every now and then. I took both the 250F and the RM to the track several times and could keep up with him on the RM and I'd get smoked on the 250F. One day, he and the track owner were play-racing and I could barely keep up with them on the 250F. I went to the truck, got the RM, started 1/2 lap behind and caught and passed them both in 6 laps. So..... I sold the 250F, he got a KTM 150 and then I had both the KX and RM to ride!!! Big fun!!!

It's important to note that, in the back of my mind every time I rode the 250F was "this is gonna be expensive if it blows..." and I just could NOT get comfortable with that. It kept me from riding the bike the way it needs to be ridden.

FINALLY... a friend of mine bought a KTM 350 XCF and we spent some time riding it vs our two 150's in enduro conditions. Just as with the MX bikes, I could ride it _slow_ easily, but to go fast... I couldn't do it. I blew corners because it wouldn't stop, it was heavy and non-flickable, and on and on. Friend ended up selling it and getting a Husky TE 150.

I think you just have to find the bike you like. I think _I_ ride faster on a 2 stroke and I know I have more fun.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
8/5/2019 1:23am
I feel like riders who grew up riding 2 strokes are faster with them. The younger generation and new riders adapt to 4 strokes easier.

There’s pros and cons to both. I enjoy my KTM 125 and have fun for sure. Some tracks I can come close to matching times Vs. KTM 350 or CRF250R, but my fastest laps are on a KTM 350.

I’d suggest you try and 125 or 150 before you buy.
8/5/2019 2:21am
plf35 wrote:
firstly thanks for the answers! I do not ride to compete, but simply to have fun! I was asking the question, because I had a lot...

Thanks
Stock suspension is horrible.

Post a reply to: 250f / 150 sx

The Latest