250CC MX bike as an offroad/enduro machine?

Edited Date/Time 7/18/2013 2:08am
Hi guys

Thinking about getting back into riding after many years away from the sport. I would be predominantly riding bush/trails with friends socially, but the odd run on my local mx tracks could be an option too, so I don't really want a heavy enduro bike.

I love the idea of getting back into 2 strokes!

How feasible is it to buy a 250CC mx bike (mid-late 00's) and configure it for bush riding? I like the idea of a lightweight bike with the bare minimum of equipment.

Requirements for off road registration in my state are front/rear lights but beyond that, what mods would make a 250 mx'er a competent bush bike?

cheers!
|
ando
6/10/2013 1:02am
Hi guys Thinking about getting back into riding after many years away from the sport. I would be predominantly riding bush/trails with friends socially, but the...
Hi guys

Thinking about getting back into riding after many years away from the sport. I would be predominantly riding bush/trails with friends socially, but the odd run on my local mx tracks could be an option too, so I don't really want a heavy enduro bike.

How feasible is it to buy a 250CC mx bike (mid-late 00's) and configure it for bush riding? I like the idea of a lightweight bike with the bare minimum of equipment.

Requirements for off road registration in my state are front/rear lights but beyond that, what mods would make a 250 mx'er a competent bush bike?

cheers!
If it's for rec rego then an MX bike would be OK. Most likely you'll want to get the suspension tuned for off-road rather than MX. Also the close-ratio gearbox may be a pain depending on what terrain you are riding, and perhaps flywheel weights to soften the power delivery. Having said that plenty of people do it.

If you are set on a Japanese bike and want a two-stroke you don't have much choice but an MX bike, however the two-stroke enduro bikes from KTM, Gas-Gas, TM, Husky etc are very good, barely weigh more than the MX models, and are completely road registrable. Another side advantage of the enduro bikes is the resale is way better.
6/10/2013 8:19pm
Thanks mate.

Mainly lower speed trails and bush riding, as opposed to high speed 'open country' so the mx gearbox might be fine with appropriate sprocket selection?

A KTM 300EXC is the logical choice, but I was just thinking of alternatives and I do like the raw/sparsely equipped feel of an mx bike. It would also give me the flexibility to remove a few items and have a proper mx bike for sessions at my local track, which is quite 'supercross' in its layout.

What would be the best 2000s-era Jap 250CC bike for my purpose? The RM250 from 05 onwards seems to get an awesome rap...
CRF-RIDER339
6/10/2013 9:03pm
Most enduro racers actually use a mx bike over the xc version.

For the year and 2 stroke your looking for I would look into the 00 and 01 cr250r or the 06 and up yz250s

Wouldn't take much to convert to a single track bike but still be able to run mx.
Might even beable to find one set up already on Craigslist.

But i would get a fly wheel weight, change gearing a little bit, big tank, and the guards for off-road.

I race my crf450r in enduro races and love it way more than the KTM 250xcf I use to race..
6/11/2013 1:00am
Ok

A late 90s 'last of' WR250 2 stroke has been thrown up as an idea too...

Older/cheaper so it would be a rebuild project...they seem to be a good thing?

The Shop

takitimu
6/11/2013 1:54am
Take a YZ250 add a heavier flywheel then go enjoy, though I have no idea on rego requirements, but they go nice in the tight stuff, bit of a handful without the flywheel though.
agn5009
6/11/2013 2:22am
I had a 2005 RM250, put a steahly flywheel weight and FMF gnarly pipe with shorty silencer, made a huge difference for the woods. It was absolutely my favorite bike I've ever had. I was racing harescrambles every weekend and never had a problem with it. It was a huge mistake getting rid of it for the bike I've got now, definitely reccomend it.
ehr400
6/11/2013 4:09am
I use my '07 YZ 250 with the Eric Gorr 300cc kit. Excellent combo for woods racing and got the suspension softened a bit. Other then that the bikes front brakes arent the best but I did the CRF master cylinder/ caliper swap. It helped, could be better IMHO. But the bike is sweet off road, as well as MX.

KTM's give you a wider variety to choose from and are like a asshole, everyone has one at the woods races. Be different and do something else you will be just fine.
ando
6/11/2013 4:27am
Ok A late 90s 'last of' WR250 2 stroke has been thrown up as an idea too... Older/cheaper so it would be a rebuild project...they seem...
Ok

A late 90s 'last of' WR250 2 stroke has been thrown up as an idea too...

Older/cheaper so it would be a rebuild project...they seem to be a good thing?
Never ridden one but I've read they are pretty hard work for enduros. ADB did an enduro bike comparison way back when you could buy the WR, their summary was "What is a supercross bike doing in an enduro shootout?" I think they were pretty much the YZ250 with a wide ratio box thrown in (hence the WR terminology).

In all honesty an MX bike should be fine if you're prepared to do the mods. A KTM EXC would serve just as well if you want a capable bike straight out of the crate, but you'll pay more for it.
mjskier
6/11/2013 6:25am
I rode a a 99 YZ 250 and while I generally liked it, the part that sucked was the gearing.
Stock, first gear is too tall, so it makes it hard on technical stuff where you don't have room to pick up a bit of speed. Be prepared to abuse the clutch.
And if you put a larger rear sprocket to fix that, it sucks as soon as the trail opens up: You'll be wide open in 5th going nowhere.
wydopen
6/11/2013 6:43am Edited Date/Time 6/11/2013 6:46am
heres mine

03 kx 250

put a different skidplate and handguards on it (barkbusters are too stiff) and a fmf gnarley when i smashed the pro circuit works pipe

got steering dampner, ffw, vforce reeds, pro circut silencer,.suspension is valved/sprung for offroad, ims tank..its fun but after i got a 450 i dont want to ride a two stroke anymore...well actually after i got a suzuki i dont want to ride a kawi anymore..thing just wants to go strait haha
Crush
6/11/2013 8:20am
Hi guys Thinking about getting back into riding after many years away from the sport. I would be predominantly riding bush/trails with friends socially, but the...
Hi guys

cheers!
Where you live? I've got a very nice KTM 300 that is for sale!

Registrable, Full Slavens Motor work, thing is a beast! Worked suspension, race tech gold valves etc... Good deal!
6/11/2013 11:20pm Edited Date/Time 6/11/2013 11:30pm
Hi mate have seen your bike on bikesales!

I am in Melbourne. Your bike sounds ace but my preference is to buy something fairly stock that's been ridden around trails. I don't really need a hot rod.

So....it seems the only thing not easily changed on an mx-er is the close ratio gearbox. How much of an issue is this for low-medium speed trail riding? Where I am it's fairly tight bush tracks and fire trails, as opposed to prolonged high speed running.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
6/12/2013 9:18am
Pick up a 99 or newer YZ250, have the suspension set up for your weight and riding style. If you feel the need to run a wide ratio transmission, pick up a WR400/426 trans and drop it in there. Build it as you see fit.
Titan1
6/12/2013 9:32am
Here are the absolute requited offroad mods for an MX bike...

-Revalve the suspension
-Desert Tank (you'll want to add at least 1 gallon capacity)
-hand gaurds
-skid plate
-Rekluse clutch (if you get the Core EXP it completely eliminates the gearing problems...you can ride as slow as you want, and the bike will never stall, and you don't have to abuse the clutch to do it).

And YZ250's are incredibly popular in the desert series I race...
ford832
6/12/2013 6:18pm
Mine.FWW,revalved suspension,Gnarly and shorty and skid plate.Fun,fun.Smile

Crush
6/13/2013 5:38am
Hi mate have seen your bike on bikesales! I am in Melbourne. Your bike sounds ace but my preference is to buy something fairly stock that's...
Hi mate have seen your bike on bikesales!

I am in Melbourne. Your bike sounds ace but my preference is to buy something fairly stock that's been ridden around trails. I don't really need a hot rod.

So....it seems the only thing not easily changed on an mx-er is the close ratio gearbox. How much of an issue is this for low-medium speed trail riding? Where I am it's fairly tight bush tracks and fire trails, as opposed to prolonged high speed running.
7/3/2013 8:33pm
So just to bump this...

A 2008 RM250 has popped up near home and it's in dead stock mint condition. I am a bit excited...

With an IMS tank, flywheel weight, revalved susp and some offroad protection, would this be a good truck?

We don't ride anything super tight - mainly flowing 4x4 tracks and some open country, with the odd gnarly section.
montesagold
7/3/2013 9:07pm
So just to bump this... A 2008 RM250 has popped up near home and it's in dead stock mint condition. I am a bit excited... With...
So just to bump this...

A 2008 RM250 has popped up near home and it's in dead stock mint condition. I am a bit excited...

With an IMS tank, flywheel weight, revalved susp and some offroad protection, would this be a good truck?

We don't ride anything super tight - mainly flowing 4x4 tracks and some open country, with the odd gnarly section.
Grab it quick! Just setup a 07 KX really similar. Cant beat them, following gncc closely over the past 15 years, those bikes really worked as good as anything out there.
malachi177
7/3/2013 10:11pm
So just to bump this... A 2008 RM250 has popped up near home and it's in dead stock mint condition. I am a bit excited... With...
So just to bump this...

That is an awesome bike!!!! You wouldn't be disappointed.
7/3/2013 10:24pm Edited Date/Time 7/3/2013 10:26pm
Thanks guys

The important thing to note is I am a social rider - I am not looking to build a balls out race weapon.

I anticipate the RM would be more 'lively' than a dedicated 4T enduro bike even with the mods, but I really don't want a complete animal...

Would I need to do a smaller rear wheel/fatter tyre, or would the stocker with a good offroad tyre and HD tube be fine?
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
7/4/2013 12:49pm Edited Date/Time 7/4/2013 12:49pm
Start with what is on the bike and go from there. If you find a need to swap out to a different tire / wheel setup, do so then. If the rm proves to be too hard hitting even with a flywheel weight, you can also have the cylinder ported differently, the head re cut, etc. The first order of business is to get a good bike, and get to riding it.
7/4/2013 1:04pm
Thanks guys The important thing to note is I am a social rider - I am not looking to build a balls out race weapon. I...
Thanks guys

The important thing to note is I am a social rider - I am not looking to build a balls out race weapon.

I anticipate the RM would be more 'lively' than a dedicated 4T enduro bike even with the mods, but I really don't want a complete animal...

Would I need to do a smaller rear wheel/fatter tyre, or would the stocker with a good offroad tyre and HD tube be fine?
The one thing to remember is Suzuki's are noted for head shake which works well for tight turning MX but not so good for trails.
7/4/2013 1:36pm
Here's my 2004 RM250. I am setting it up for woods also (after I am healed up from hip replacement). Super fast, light and reliable. The only sketchy thing about Suzooks is the shifting can be notchy. Best to keep tranny oil fresh.

TeamGreen
7/4/2013 3:25pm
Here's my 2004 RM250. I am setting it up for woods also (after I am healed up from hip replacement). Super fast, light and reliable. The...
Here's my 2004 RM250. I am setting it up for woods also (after I am healed up from hip replacement). Super fast, light and reliable. The only sketchy thing about Suzooks is the shifting can be notchy. Best to keep tranny oil fresh.

BRAAAAAAAAP!
7/13/2013 9:15pm
So the 1994 Yamaha WR250 seems a potent thing - there are a few for sale in Australia.

What's a good source of oem/reproduction decals and seat covers for these bikes? Does anyone still make plastics for them?
BAMX
7/13/2013 9:54pm
So just to bump this...

This would be a good bike. Go with a skid plate, hand guards or bark busters and maybe a flywheel weight. Regardless of what bike you buy you should get the suspension done. Do not set it up to be super plush. Set it up so that it can absorb your mistakes. Why do I say to not have it super plush? Because, iIt is better to have your butt a little sore at the end of the day then to crash in the 4th gear G out that you didn't see coming. You probably also want to add a clutch perch that you can adjust on the fly.
Rovalova
7/13/2013 10:41pm
So the 1994 Yamaha WR250 seems a potent thing - there are a few for sale in Australia. What's a good source of oem/reproduction decals and...
So the 1994 Yamaha WR250 seems a potent thing - there are a few for sale in Australia.

What's a good source of oem/reproduction decals and seat covers for these bikes? Does anyone still make plastics for them?
Ive used 250 mxer's most of riding life. I think that they are the most versatile machines out there, currently have a late model yz250, its awesome stock or modded, for my riding ive got a 11o fly weight, geared two teeth lower on rear (48), vforce and a dep pipe, rec reg'd couldnt ask for a better bike and you can get an 05 upwards fairly cheap and they havent changed much.
7/14/2013 5:34am
Cheers guys

That RM250 was sold unfortunately Sad

I am definitely set on a 2 smoke - it's just a case of what bike. On one hand the idea of 'as new as possible' is good, but I have this desire to get something 'classic' and do a bit of a restoration on it. Decisions.
BAMX
7/14/2013 9:16am
Cheers guys That RM250 was sold unfortunately :( I am definitely set on a 2 smoke - it's just a case of what bike. On one...
Cheers guys

That RM250 was sold unfortunately Sad

I am definitely set on a 2 smoke - it's just a case of what bike. On one hand the idea of 'as new as possible' is good, but I have this desire to get something 'classic' and do a bit of a restoration on it. Decisions.
My advice on the RM goes for any bike. Like someone above stated, it is really common for moto bike to be used offroad with minimal mods.
7/17/2013 9:58pm
Guys...would I be a complete lunatic to mod a 500cc for bush riding?

As you can tell I am circling ideas right now, and really value the input.

Post a reply to: 250CC MX bike as an offroad/enduro machine?

The Latest