250 two stroke idle how long

77Moto
6/17/2019 5:50pm
Adjusting the screws isnt any different than turning the adjusters on the suspension.

Turn up the idle. Can't hurt it.

Turn the air screw. Can't hurt anything with that either.
omalley
6/17/2019 5:58pm
Yz229 wrote:
Two strokes are inefficient at idle, therefore I always set them to idle about 3-5 second and die. This helps keep the idle circuit rich for...
Two strokes are inefficient at idle, therefore I always set them to idle about 3-5 second and die. This helps keep the idle circuit rich for good throttle response.

Tom Morgan recommended this as well, good to have him confirm this on my latest engine.
Bingo.
6/17/2019 6:07pm
Sounds like you're just a quarter turn high on the restrictor plate. Run her in a pinch and you should be good.
Dcope17
6/17/2019 6:17pm
Robgvx wrote:
+ 1000 When did idling become a thing. Motocross bikes never used to have any idle set. I’d like to be in control of whether power...
+ 1000

When did idling become a thing. Motocross bikes never used to have any idle set.

I’d like to be in control of whether power is being applied, not my bike.
This brings up some old memories...
I remember when I had my bike idle, then I accidentally kicked it in gear and the whiskey idle ride was on!!! Luckily, got it shut down before I was killed. So now its no idle for me too so I am in complete control.

The Shop

77Moto
6/17/2019 6:27pm
Robgvx wrote:
+ 1000 When did idling become a thing. Motocross bikes never used to have any idle set. I’d like to be in control of whether power...
+ 1000

When did idling become a thing. Motocross bikes never used to have any idle set.

I’d like to be in control of whether power is being applied, not my bike.
Dcope17 wrote:
This brings up some old memories... I remember when I had my bike idle, then I accidentally kicked it in gear and the whiskey idle ride...
This brings up some old memories...
I remember when I had my bike idle, then I accidentally kicked it in gear and the whiskey idle ride was on!!! Luckily, got it shut down before I was killed. So now its no idle for me too so I am in complete control.
Not supposed to idle at 5 grand like an F1 car.
6/18/2019 6:45am
Um.... this is a 250X... an enduro/off-road bike. I like for it to idle a LITTLE bit but 10-15 seconds should be plenty. I'd probably achieve that by turning the idle screw in to give it a fairly fast idle, so that when I fell over in the woods, it might keep running long enough for me to grab the clutch and get the bike back up and not have to re-start on the side of some slick nasty hill. A faster idle will also help me stay "on the gas" a little better in the corners. But that's me.

Now... my '18 KTM 150 XC-W.... got home with it from the dealer and it ran LIKE CRAP. Both pilot and main jets were clogged with white powdery stuff and the fuel line from tank to carb was shedding black dust into the carb. Took care of both of those, flushed the tank, checked everything else (sand in the air box, for instance, but the boot was nice and clean so it probably just blew in from sitting outside in the nasty eastern CO wind). Point being, I just never trust a dealer. After I cleaned everything (re-jetted, actually since it had stock jetting which I knew was going to be 2-3 steps rich), it runs good.

Today, with an RK Tech head and other goodies, it'll idle for as long as it takes me to go inside and put my contact lenses on, but if I do that, I need to sit there and give it a few jolts of throttle to clean it up before I take off. That's stretching it, though...

My KX 125 idles just long enough for me to put my goggles on. The GasGas TXT will idle for as long as you want, but burbles a little when you wake it up.
bvm111
6/18/2019 7:18am Edited Date/Time 6/18/2019 8:46pm
AngryBear wrote:
your sequencing is wrong. it's: 1) hand behind silencer to create increase in back pressure, blip (2x) 2) shake head, left to right, (3x) 3) check...
your sequencing is wrong. it's:

1) hand behind silencer to create increase in back pressure, blip (2x)
2) shake head, left to right, (3x)
3) check fuel petcock (1x)
2) repeat 2
4) check fuel petcock (1x)
5) holeshot
scrallex wrote:
+1 for checking the fuel petcock like 25 times before a start. Only took one OTB and broken radius/ulna to drill that one in my head...
+1 for checking the fuel petcock like 25 times before a start.

Only took one OTB and broken radius/ulna to drill that one in my head lmao
downard254 wrote:
My first race ever, I left the petcock turned off. Died on the start straight. Guess how many times I check the fuel before every start...
My first race ever, I left the petcock turned off. Died on the start straight. Guess how many times I check the fuel before every start now? Numbers can't describe it.Woohoo
We have all been there and done that!

You know when you are an old school two stroke guy...You still check for the fuel on your EFI 450 LaughingLaughing
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
6/18/2019 7:26am
tobz wrote:
Me yz250 idles fine Blink why shouldn't it?
IMO.
Old geezers think it's still 1970. My katoom will idle for long enough and is jetted great.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
6/18/2019 8:08am
If my 2 strokes don't idle, while riding if I get tired/sloppy I end up stalling them in turns. F that
6/18/2019 5:35pm
I set my YZ to idle for about 15 seconds. If you didn't blip the throttle just before then, it would sputter and die. Worked good for me, and let me assure you that machine was a 450 killer (not necessarily when I was on it, but in the right hands).
ctbale
6/19/2019 3:01am Edited Date/Time 6/19/2019 3:05am
Clean air filter
Clean pilot jet, main jet and emulsion tube.
Warm it up and run it thru the gears wot
Turn up your idle screw a turn and play with the idle mixture screw to get the highest idle, then 1/2 turn towards rich. If your idle mixture screw is on the cyl side of the slide its a fuel screw so go ccw, if the screw is on the airbox side of the slide its an airscrew, so go cw. (That's true for most carbs, but you need to know if its an A.S or F.S)

and if you have zero compression ..... oh fuck it, take to the dealer

Oh, and even if my 2 strokes WOULD idle for more then 10 seconds, I wouldn't let them.

And if the bikes gunna sit for more then a month, drain the carb.
ratonmacias
6/19/2019 10:25am
How long should the bike idle before stalling without giving It some throttle?my new 250x wouldn't idle at all, my other 2t idle just fine.I have...
How long should the bike idle before stalling without giving It some throttle?my new 250x wouldn't idle at all, my other 2t idle just fine.I have heard bike should idle long enough to put your helment and gloves on.need info taking bike to dealer tomorrow it won't run
my 250 x idles forever

Post a reply to: 250 two stroke idle how long

The Latest