250 husqvarna fc best mods to improve lap times

Question
Edited Date/Time 5/8/2019 4:12pm
Hi !

I have met recently a GP rider, a close friend to a good friend, who is missing maybe 2 or 3 seconds a lap to really be on the map and crack the top 15 regularly.

Not talking about the rider (he is fit, trained and coached), we also all know it is a motorsports, so that made me wonder what mods could help to make a little step. The current bike has already good engine mods + ignition, semi or factory suspensions, clamps, wheels, in other words it is really far to be the fastest bike (like 25th at the start...) but it is still a fast one compared to the shop floor.

So, with all the knowledge some people here have, would you know or would you please recommend certain parts or mods ?

1. I saw a thread recently about a RMZ owner that was super happy on his new Ride Engineering brake caliper. I checked but it is not available for KTM/Husky, maybe the stock version is already great, or is it for another reason.

2. I think there are "factory" calipers in the ktm/husky catalog. Has anyone tested it ? (and how much does it cost?)

3. Would you recommend something to improve the braking on this bike (pads, line) ?

4. The seat on the husky looks light, do you know how much weight would be shaved with a motoseat (or acerbis) complete seat ?

5. Has anyone tried the Zeta adjustable lowering link ?

6. Husky/KTM are super light, would you know what kind of weight could be shaved for let us say $1000 ?

7. I didn't ask if he had a hinson/rekluse, would it make a big difference ?

8. I didn't ask if he had internal treatments, would it make a big difference ? (and for what cost?)

9. Any ideas are welcome !

Thanks !
|
5/7/2019 7:58am
Other than getting suspension set up for weight and style if it is way off target, there are no 2-3 sec a lap mods for any bike.
fourfourone
5/7/2019 8:15am
You need to get faster not the bike.

If you consider yourself a "fast rider" already you should be able to answer these questions yourself
mx 219
Fantasy
974th
5/7/2019 8:15am
Wrist mod... I can sell you one for about tree fidy. Guaranteed to make you 3 seconds a lap faster.
5/7/2019 8:24am

If you consider yourself a "fast rider" already you should be able to answer these questions yourself
Reread the post. OP isn't talking about himself. Sounds like he is trying to help a privateer with bike stuff.

The Shop

fourfourone
5/7/2019 8:38am

Reread the post. OP isn't talking about himself. Sounds like he is trying to help a privateer with bike stuff.
Sorry I worded it wrong. More of a message the rider.
Question
5/7/2019 10:52am Edited Date/Time 5/7/2019 10:53am

Exactly, not for me, just curious, and also willing to help.

I also forgot to talk about offsets that could help a relatively not too tall rider (about 1.7, 1.75m).

Last but not least, I really know that some modifications, combined, can gain that much ; and you are right about the suspensions. Here he told me that he has something pretty good, it is also why I am searching a bit in the braking/engine/weight department.

I think I will also send a pm to Derek Harris to see how much HP/torque he can get, to pass the info (and the quotation), to compare with his current dyno numbers (the issue here to compare is the noise & fuel different regulations).
Whip
Fantasy
3240th
5/7/2019 10:57am
4arm strong bro for sure
zippytech
5/7/2019 10:59am
Ask him why he cannot keep up.. What and where are the other riders pulling from him. In corners? out of corners? Jumps? Not holding it on long enough. getting tight or tired?

I would look at them questions and that will help find the problem.
HRoot11
5/7/2019 11:54am
My brother raced a 2017/2018 Husqvarna FC250 For a GP Round And 12 Rounds of AMA Nationals.
Tips
1 Have the same setup for the race bike and practice bike. The race bike motor and practice bike motor can be different that's perfectly fine.
2 Check the subframes on the bike because we had one crack and had no clue for probably 4 rounds of outdoors. I'm not sure if they fixed it on 19 Models.
3 Don't buy TI bolts
4 OEM Clutches are really good you don't need aftermarket IMO
5 Don't buy Brake calipers or Brake master cylinder waste of money OEM are all ready good.
Mods
1 High Compression Piston
2 After market pipe
3 Front Forks Cone Valve or KYB are diffidently worth it
4 Stock shock with a bladder kit is really good or a Trax shock both work great
5 Bar setup helps a lot
6 If you have extra money you could test linkage and knuckle on the bike I would try and make the bike longer if he's racing GP. My brother ran a stock linkage and knuckle.
That's about it for mods on the bike. You don't need to spend a crazy amount of money on a motor. My brother raced a 2019 KTM 250SXF at the last round of MXGP in Italy on a stock motor and got 18th in time practice on a bike with just a pipe, Cone Valve forks and Trax shock.
Hope this helps you guys save some money because racing is crazy expensive. If you have any questions on parts just send me a PM.
ratonmacias
5/7/2019 12:19pm Edited Date/Time 5/7/2019 12:23pm

Question wrote:
Exactly, not for me, just curious, and also willing to help. I also forgot to talk about offsets that could help a relatively not too tall...
Exactly, not for me, just curious, and also willing to help.

I also forgot to talk about offsets that could help a relatively not too tall rider (about 1.7, 1.75m).

Last but not least, I really know that some modifications, combined, can gain that much ; and you are right about the suspensions. Here he told me that he has something pretty good, it is also why I am searching a bit in the braking/engine/weight department.

I think I will also send a pm to Derek Harris to see how much HP/torque he can get, to pass the info (and the quotation), to compare with his current dyno numbers (the issue here to compare is the noise & fuel different regulations).
i think each dyno measures differently for the same bike. have in mind different air temp, altitude, fuel, correction factor.

i think there is a lot to be gained with mapping and traction control setup to your mods and fuel.

i heard (not positive) the 2017 dixon bikes dynoed at 52 hp at the rear wheel with a slick tire when they came to race in Leon Mexico.
5/7/2019 1:01pm
We do some mods for a team in NZ that competes all over the world.

The bike is competitive vs the factory equipment - as they have had multiple fastest laps, top qualifier etc against all colors and teams.

Do I think what Im selling is better than the factory stuff?
Hell no.
The top team level stuff is well over 16000 rpm team depending with practically no budget limitations.
Are we close enough to do well?
Yes

So my suggestion is mostly hard work with chassis and suspension. I can plug in 5 hp with someone - and see less than .5 second improvement - it's the nature of the beast. And in no world is a decent mod engine more than 5 hp off the best one out there. People can't seem to realize this - if you are 10 percent off (a huge amount) it's 5hp.
Where you are way off is RPM and what that brings with it...something you truly wont want to dabble down budget wise.

I can get a small set up improvement on suspension - and I mean small - and see 2 seconds a lap

Just properly testing sag, fork height, clickers, round and round and round - does wonders.
We don't have access to the really trick stuff top teams do - and IMHO that's the majority of the difference in bike.
The top 5 in GPs could ride stock engines and still ALL top 10 on their factory chassis.

lastly - make sure you run the lightest of parts in the wheels, tubes, tires, chain, sprocket. Most privateers end up with HEAVIER parts - which negates a lot of hard work they put into their motor....

I would invest NUMBER 1 into data logging. Seeing what rpm he is at, what throttle position, what gear, and track position will help educate the team and rider as to where to improve the bike.
Suspension is hard to data log and make headway on - but it can be useful when a rider is a poor test rider.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
5/7/2019 8:20pm
Agree with above, with well set up suspension you can easy just 2-3 seconds. Maybe he need kit suspension like cone valves or KYb conversion.

On the Husky, is also suggest a Vortex EcU with better mapping.

I’d put money on it that with those changes you can cut time all day long.
zippytech
5/8/2019 5:31am
Throwing money at the problem with out knowing what the problem is won't help anything,
Deja New
5/8/2019 6:04am
This is what you need.....

Hold it wide open longer brake later carry your speed through the corners.

And a big set helps Smile
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3717th
5/8/2019 6:14am
I know that this is a graph for strength, but it truly applies to the range of athletes in all sports and abilities. As ability increases, the margin of difference between a guy going three seconds a lap slower and a guy with the fastest qualifying time is actually far more significant than 2 C riders with 3 seconds a lap difference. The reason is, the margin for error is cut down so much that the 3 seconds per lap at the top of our sport means cutting time from lap times in the 99th percentile of ability.

Hope that makes sense.

I think your boy CAN do it, but it won’t be as simple as modding the bike or working out more. It’s going to be .02% advantages in 6 different areas...
5/8/2019 12:42pm
Better than litpro - the GET data logger

Used by Fact yamaha and jgr (yeah yeah, top results i know)
It will do track data - PLUS bike telemetry....

I THINK (but don't know) litpro is doing similar for KTM.
AJ565
5/8/2019 2:14pm
I know a few said that the stock linkage works well, but the RE link really settled down the back of my bike going through rough chop and braking bumps. Other that have ridden it noticed it too and I don't tell anyone what I've done to my bike before they ride it so they can't make up in their mind it was because of something before even riding it.

Post a reply to: 250 husqvarna fc best mods to improve lap times

The Latest