250 West Supercross Champion Justin Hill joins the Autotrader/Yoshimura/Suzuki Factory Racing Team in a multi-year deal

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
Edited Date/Time 10/4/2017 3:42am

Brea, CA (October 3, 2017) – The Autotrader/Yoshimura/Suzuki Factory Racing Team is proud to announce the signing of Justin Hill for the 2018-‘19 supercross/motocross seasons.

Justin Hill will be an integral part of Suzuki’s intensified focus in the 250 class for 2018. The Yoncalla, Oregon. native captured the 2017 Monster Energy AMA Supercross 250 Western regional title in dominating fashion, winning four main events and never finishing outside of the top five. In fact, Hill has been exceptional indoors since turning Pro in 2013­ – seven main event wins, 16 podium finishes, and 23 top-five Supercross performances in 36 races. Injuries have hampered Justin the past two years in the Lucas Oil AMA Pro Motocross Championship series; however, the amiable 22 year old has amassed 17 top-ten National finishes when healthy.

“It’s an honor to be a part of the Autotrader/Yoshimura/Suzuki Factory Racing effort. I have known [team manager] Jeremy Albrecht for a while now, and have always respected the JGRMX program,” stated Justin Hill. “I was blown away after taking a tour of the team’s headquarters in Huntersville, N.C. It’s amazing how they invest so much time and money into finding solutions in an effort to gain a competitive edge. I knew immediately that I needed to be involved with them.”

Justin Hill is no stranger to Suzuki, having raced on a RM-Z250 and RM-Z450 as an amateur in 2010. Hill explained, “I won my first big bike championship on a Suzuki and have fond memories of the brand. Comfort on the bike, as well as confidence in the team, are crucial to a rider’s success. JGR expressed their faith by offering me a multi-year deal that extends into the 450 class. I’m looking forward to defending my 250 West Supercross title on the Suzuki RM-Z250, making a big push outdoors in what will be my last year in the 250 class, and then taking the pathway up to the 450 class with JGRMX in 2019.”

Autotrader/Yoshimura/Suzuki Factory Racing team manager Jeremy Albrecht is thrilled to have Justin Hill representing the team’s factory effort for 2018 and beyond. “Justin is a phenomenal talent. He has incredible ability on a motorcycle and is the cornerstone of our 250 program. In getting to know Justin, I’m also impressed with his professionalism and demeanor.” Albrecht continued, “The Autotrader/Yoshimura/Suzuki Factory Racing Team expects to win races, and I have the utmost confidence in Justin. His resume speaks for itself.”

Suzuki is very enthusiastic about the signing of Justin Hill. “With this news it should be obvious that Suzuki and JGR are committed to competing at the highest level in 250 racing,” commented Chris Wheeler, MX Manager at Suzuki Motor of America, Inc. “The team has already logged an incredible amount of hours during pre-season testing. Engineers from both Suzuki Japan and Yoshimura have come together at the JGRMX headquarters as part of the new formation that has solidified JGRMX as Suzuki's factory effort.”

The Autotrader/Yoshimura/Suzuki Factory Racing Team will make its 250 debut at the opening round of the Monster Energy AMA Supercross series in Anaheim, Calif. on January 6th, 2018.

|
Motofinne
10/3/2017 8:17am
I'm skeptical.

But the JGR guys are good people, i hope it works out!
ML512
Fantasy
54th
10/3/2017 8:24am
loftyair wrote:
JGR not a title, sponsor?
JGR is the team itself, not a huge reason to take up title name space when there's big companies supporting/paying in. They know the team is still recognized as JGR, but want to give more support/visibility to the companies involved.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
10/3/2017 8:27am
I know I'm nitpicking but it would look nicer/cleaner without the M claw. I really wonder how he'll do in 2018...

The Shop

early
Fantasy
2231st
10/3/2017 8:30am
seth505 wrote:
I know I'm nitpicking but it would look nicer/cleaner without the M claw. I really wonder how he'll do in 2018...
Looks like a Suzuki to me. The rest of the sponsors are barely visible.
Camp332
10/3/2017 8:39am
Good wishes to Hill, and the whole team.

My family and I went to their race shop this summer and they couldn't have been any nicer to us. They invited us in for a tour of the entire race shop, and the kid who gave us the tour made sure my son left with cool souvenirs.

NP301
10/3/2017 8:40am Edited Date/Time 10/3/2017 8:40am
I follow this sport, and it took me a bit to realize that was JGR. Imagine someone who doesn't much? They would have no clue JGR is apart of this get up.
*Nice looking bike though, and I wish him and the team luck.
twotwosix
10/3/2017 10:23am
Motofinne wrote:
I'm skeptical.

Why? He is the reigning SX champ and won multiple races last year?

I think you meant to say "I am skeptical about how he will do outdoors."
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
10/3/2017 10:29am Edited Date/Time 10/3/2017 10:29am
seth505 wrote:
How would their race budget look without the M claw? Blink
10/3/2017 10:39am
From my experience with the RMZ - it's hard to be remotely competitive with where the yzf, ktm, and new crf will be at in the engine department.

That said - the GP rmz seemed to make big progress this year

ML512 - any insight as to what the GP team did - and if the US based team will have access to the info?

In sx HP isn't nearly as important as outdoors - but the last year of the rockstar suzuki effort - it was clear the RMZ back then wasn't quite on part IMHO with the top bikes in the engine department. I'll never forget a press day video at I believe the first or second round where the gieco bikes were clearing a 3-6-3 out of a turn and the suzuki rider just flat out couldnt get it....
Not to downplay the amazing engine effort they did have at the time - with an engine that for all intents is the same as the 09-10 rmz

Roostermx58
10/3/2017 10:49am
The number one looks good. The Armored Graphix look better!
twotwosix
10/3/2017 11:00am Edited Date/Time 10/3/2017 1:32pm
From my experience with the RMZ - it's hard to be remotely competitive with where the yzf, ktm, and new crf will be at in the...
From my experience with the RMZ - it's hard to be remotely competitive with where the yzf, ktm, and new crf will be at in the engine department.

That said - the GP rmz seemed to make big progress this year

ML512 - any insight as to what the GP team did - and if the US based team will have access to the info?

In sx HP isn't nearly as important as outdoors - but the last year of the rockstar suzuki effort - it was clear the RMZ back then wasn't quite on part IMHO with the top bikes in the engine department. I'll never forget a press day video at I believe the first or second round where the gieco bikes were clearing a 3-6-3 out of a turn and the suzuki rider just flat out couldnt get it....
Not to downplay the amazing engine effort they did have at the time - with an engine that for all intents is the same as the 09-10 rmz

Those factory RMZ250s are built to the 9's. The new Yosh 250 reboot started with the MAD/Dirtcandy guys. They are pushing them for everything they've got to make them competitive. Everything in those motors that can be changed, massaged or redesigned within the rulebook has been. I would imagine they are getting close to the limit on Hp output for that design.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
10/3/2017 11:15am
seth505 wrote:
GuyB wrote:
How would their race budget look without the M claw? Blink
Yaya I know, much worse Cool
10/3/2017 11:32am
twotwosix wrote:
Those factory RMZ250s are built to the 9's. The new Yosh 250 reboot started with the MAD/Dirtcandy guys. They are pushing them for everything they've got...
Those factory RMZ250s are built to the 9's. The new Yosh 250 reboot started with the MAD/Dirtcandy guys. They are pushing them for everything they've got to make them competitive. Everything in those motors that can be changed, massaged or redesigned within the rulebook has been. I would imagine they are getting close to the limit on Hp output for that design.
Im well aware - I build engines the the 9s for a living.

But the rmz head architecture is terrible vs a yamaha or even current honda - let alone the new honda. The ktm has the largest valves in class - partly due to it's larger bore smaller stroke - and a valve train design that is light years ahead of a bucket design. The yamaha has an awesome downdraft intake that is the "direction of the future" for all manufacturers - with the OLD honda having quite a good port layuot - and the new honda having an incredible port layout PLUS finger followers.

Since suzuki's new 1000cc sport bike went finger follower - and the latest generation yamaha R1 - it should stand to reason their mx models will do so in the near future.

Maybe I "know" that the best rockstar rmz before they went husky was a 45-46 hp engine if the bike was just right.
Maybe I "know" that the best geico bike on the same scale is over 50
Maybe I "know" the factory ktm is over 50 - we build ktms that are over 50 so I certainly know the factory effort should exceed that by a good margin.
Maybe I "know" the matty B wasn't too happy with the performance of his dirtcandy yosh bike vs that of his former gieco bike.
Maybe the "merge" rmz's were less hp than the stock ktms come....which were a great effort from merge on that antiquated engine for a reliable, privateer effort on a set budget.
The problem with dirtbike industry is the media doesn't truly do their "job" since the industry is so small. You wont hear riders bad mouth on record their rides because it reflects poorly on them for future opportunities. You wont hear journalists publishing what they might hear and "know" if they feel it will ruin their relationships with the rider or teams etc.
I was impressed this year by the rmz250 at some sx rounds - pulled some good starts. And same applies to the later gp's - bike looked solid! But Im very curious if behind the scenes in the GP engine (because it's legal do so if Im not mistaken) if the engine is a larger bore, shorter stroke, possible one off cast head - or lots of port filling and raising coupled with larger valves and possibly different valve spacing. I wouldn't be beyond the little craft casters in italy or elsewhere to do all of the above.

I think for suzuki to be on par with the other bikes - their new engine will head the finger follower, larger bore, shorter stroke route whenever they decide to update. But until then - I think J hill will have his work cut out - or the team will be creatively playing with the rules to find the power and RPM needed to be up front.

just my opinion...i love jgr, I think the suzuki is a great bike outside of the stock engine, and Justin Hill is my favorite 250cc rider out there..I want him to crush it next year.

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
10/3/2017 11:47am
Im well aware - I build engines the the 9s for a living. But the rmz head architecture is terrible vs a yamaha or even current...

But the rmz head architecture is terrible vs a yamaha or even current honda - let alone the new honda. The ktm has the largest valves in class - partly due to it's larger bore smaller stroke - and a valve train design that is light years ahead of a bucket design. The yamaha has an awesome downdraft intake that is the "direction of the future" for all manufacturers - with the OLD honda having quite a good port layuot - and the new honda having an incredible port layout PLUS finger followers.

Since suzuki's new 1000cc sport bike went finger follower - and the latest generation yamaha R1 - it should stand to reason their mx models will do so in the near future.

Maybe I "know" that the best rockstar rmz before they went husky was a 45-46 hp engine if the bike was just right.
Maybe I "know" the factory ktm is over 50 - we build ktms that are over 50 so I certainly know the factory effort should exceed that by a good margin.
Maybe I "know" the matty B wasn't too happy with the performance of his dirtcandy yosh bike vs that of his former gieco bike.
Maybe the "merge" rmz's were less hp than the stock ktms come....which were a great effort from merge on that antiquated engine for a reliable, privateer effort on a set budget.
The problem with dirtbike industry is the media doesn't truly do their "job" since the industry is so small. You wont hear riders bad mouth on record their rides because it reflects poorly on them for future opportunities. You wont hear journalists publishing what they might hear and "know" if they feel it will ruin their relationships with the rider or teams etc.
I was impressed this year by the rmz250 at some sx rounds - pulled some good starts. And same applies to the later gp's - bike looked solid! But Im very curious if behind the scenes in the GP engine (because it's legal do so if Im not mistaken) if the engine is a larger bore, shorter stroke, possible one off cast head - or lots of port filling and raising coupled with larger valves and possibly different valve spacing. I wouldn't be beyond the little craft casters in italy or elsewhere to do all of the above.

I think for suzuki to be on par with the other bikes - their new engine will head the finger follower, larger bore, shorter stroke route whenever they decide to update. But until then - I think J hill will have his work cut out - or the team will be creatively playing with the rules to find the power and RPM needed to be up front.

just my opinion...i love jgr, I think the suzuki is a great bike outside of the stock engine, and Justin Hill is my favorite 250cc rider out there..I want him to crush it next year.

Maybe I "know" that the most reliable dyno chart is the results at the checkered flag. Wink
10/3/2017 12:20pm
twotwosix wrote:
Those factory RMZ250s are built to the 9's. The new Yosh 250 reboot started with the MAD/Dirtcandy guys. They are pushing them for everything they've got...
Im well aware - I build engines the the 9s for a living. But the rmz head architecture is terrible vs a yamaha or even current...

Word on the street is the RMZ 250s on the GP team are utilizing KTM bottom ends, whether this is true or not I'm not sure. But I also remember hearing from Adam Wheeler (I think) that Seewer's bike was better than Lawrence's for whatever reason.
twotwosix
10/3/2017 1:30pm Edited Date/Time 10/3/2017 1:31pm
The least Suzuki could do is introduce the KTM injectors/throttle body design on to the stock bike. It would be a great step in the right direction for their 250.
Motofinne
10/3/2017 2:02pm Edited Date/Time 10/3/2017 2:11pm
Motofinne wrote:
I'm skeptical.

twotwosix wrote:
Why? He is the reigning SX champ and won multiple races last year? I think you meant to say "I am skeptical about how he will...

Well lets take SX first.

1. The bike, slowest platform out there. That is a fact.
2. It's obvious that he has had problems with teams before. Add the fact that he won a title and there is a risk(i don't know how big) that he "thinks" he has made it after that(the outdoors season indicates to it).

Outdoors(the series where you race the whole 250 class for 12 rounds)
1. The bike even more
2. The complete lack of effort in 2017

Yes he is a 250 regional champ(he has talent). But this feels like JGR buying a number 1 plate and i'm not a believer. Short term, okay but i like the signing of Lawrence way better in the long run(HRC MX2 in 2018 and Geico in 2019) especially since he was already in the Suzuki family. The fact that JGR missed the boat on that guy is a big minus, they probably could've signed him.
Snapper
10/3/2017 2:17pm
Motofinne wrote:
Well lets take SX first. 1. The bike, slowest platform out there. That is a fact. 2. It's obvious that he has had problems with teams...
Well lets take SX first.

2. It's obvious that he has had problems with teams before. Add the fact that he won a title and there is a risk(i don't know how big) that he "thinks" he has made it after that(the outdoors season indicates to it).

1. The bike even more

Yes he is a 250 regional champ(he has talent). But this feels like JGR buying a number 1 plate and i'm not a believer. Short term, okay but i like the signing of Lawrence way better in the long run(HRC MX2 in 2018 and Geico in 2019) especially since he was already in the Suzuki family. The fact that JGR missed the boat on that guy is a big minus, they probably could've signed him.
Lawrence doesn't bring the claw logo with him though...
Motofinne
10/3/2017 2:27pm
Motofinne wrote:
Well lets take SX first. 1. The bike, slowest platform out there. That is a fact. 2. It's obvious that he has had problems with teams...
Well lets take SX first.

1. The bike even more

Snapper wrote:
Lawrence doesn't bring the claw logo with him though...
So we have a "top" level pay rider in US 250 racing?
10/3/2017 2:44pm
Motofinne wrote:
I'm skeptical.

twotwosix wrote:
Why? He is the reigning SX champ and won multiple races last year? I think you meant to say "I am skeptical about how he will...

Motofinne wrote:
Well lets take SX first.

1. The bike even more

Whats wrong with buying a number 1 plate? If they are willing to roll the dice and drop the cash for someone like Justin...good for him. Im all about these kids getting as much money as they can, while they can.

I do agree going from a Pro Circuit Kawasaki to a JGR Suzuki seems like a step down but JGR is the real deal. If anyone can get a yellow bike up top in the 250 class...its them.
kkawboy14
10/3/2017 2:51pm Edited Date/Time 10/3/2017 2:52pm
twotwosix wrote:

Word on the street is the RMZ 250s on the GP team are utilizing KTM bottom ends, whether this is true or not I'm not sure...
Word on the street is the RMZ 250s on the GP team are utilizing KTM bottom ends, whether this is true or not I'm not sure. But I also remember hearing from Adam Wheeler (I think) that Seewer's bike was better than Lawrence's for whatever reason.
I always use Honda bearings when they are interchangeable!

I feel like he bagged the outdoors (not getting hurt) so he would kill it for JGR
Motofinne
10/3/2017 2:59pm
twotwosix wrote:

Motofinne wrote:
Well lets take SX first.

1. The bike even more

Whats wrong with buying a number 1 plate? If they are willing to roll the dice and drop the cash for someone like Justin...good for him...
Whats wrong with buying a number 1 plate? If they are willing to roll the dice and drop the cash for someone like Justin...good for him. Im all about these kids getting as much money as they can, while they can.

I do agree going from a Pro Circuit Kawasaki to a JGR Suzuki seems like a step down but JGR is the real deal. If anyone can get a yellow bike up top in the 250 class...its them.
I never said that it is the wrong thing to do. But i don't think that he'll be able to produce what he did in 2017 regional SX again for JGR. The Number 1 plate looks nice on that RMZ.

Seewer didn't even get a handful of holeshots in this years GPs, that says a thing or two about the lack of power. It is on paper a big step down. Maybe not the actual team but the bike is way, way worse as a platform.
10/3/2017 3:02pm
GuyB wrote:
Maybe I "know" that the most reliable dyno chart is the results at the checkered flag. Wink
Sounds like your saying Justin Hill has no hope then....with not many RMZ's finishing well in the past few years.

Thankfully riders make up a large percentage of the overall result - and Hill is one hell of an SX rider.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
10/3/2017 3:08pm
Sounds like your saying Justin Hill has no hope then....with not many RMZ's finishing well in the past few years. Thankfully riders make up a large...
Sounds like your saying Justin Hill has no hope then....with not many RMZ's finishing well in the past few years.

Thankfully riders make up a large percentage of the overall result - and Hill is one hell of an SX rider.
No hope? I never said that. As always, there's a reason they run the races. Some guys practice great. Some are better racers. But then, you have situations like Justin on KTM a few years ago, where I swore before the season that he'd likely be a shoe-in for a title. Obviously it didn't happen then.

It'll be interesting to see what JGR can do with the Suzuki, both this year, and in the future.

I'd agree with the second half of your statement. Smile
imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
10/3/2017 4:04pm
Camp332 wrote:
Good wishes to Hill, and the whole team. My family and I went to their race shop this summer and they couldn't have been any nicer...
Good wishes to Hill, and the whole team.

My family and I went to their race shop this summer and they couldn't have been any nicer to us. They invited us in for a tour of the entire race shop, and the kid who gave us the tour made sure my son left with cool souvenirs.

That is awesome to hear!
MX Guy
Fantasy
727th
10/3/2017 4:53pm
ML says that bike is gnarly

Post a reply to: 250 West Supercross Champion Justin Hill joins the Autotrader/Yoshimura/Suzuki Factory Racing Team in a multi-year deal

The Latest