24 Hour race decided by 1 second...

ebers
Fantasy
174th
The Northeast 24hr Challenge was this past weekend in New York... some fast dudes showed up in the premier class (4 guys-4 bikes) and was fun to watch. But the Sportsman class (up to 6 guys-6 bikes) was the class to watch in the closing hours.

The Bushwackers (who ended up racing with 4 guys) led more then half the race with even having a near 30 minute lead in the middle of the night over Fueling Around Loud Fuel 3 and the Bunch A Drunks. At about 6am that lead had disappeared after a troubled night and fatigue set in and the Bushwackers found themselves in second nearly 8 minutes behind the Bunch of Drunks. After a total team effort, the guys had a glimmer of hope after cutting the lead down to 6 minutes with 2 hours to go. After the closing rider Marcus Scott-Cornell laid down some of the fastest laps of anyone on the track in the morning for the Bushwackers, he was only gaining about 30 seconds a lap on the closing rider for the Bunch A Drunks. When the white flag flew, the gap was down to 48 seconds. It was going to be close.

I'm not sure how to embed an IG clip, but I found this clip of the finish someone posted... Instagram video

So if you don't click on the clip, the Bushwackers rider was able to make it happen and ended up making the pass on the final lap for the win! He was absolutely pinned for the last 2.5 hours to make that happen.
The Bushwackers ended up 1st in Sportsmen Class out of 35 entries and 6th overall out of 143 total entries. Shoutout to the Bunch A Drunks who made the racing that much fun at the end. Awesome time by all and kudos to the Arcadia Bark Buster club for putting on another awesome 24 Hour race despite some tough whether conditions leading up to the race.
|
Sully
7/17/2017 7:40pm
There's no way I have the endurance to do a 24-hour race, but damn, that looks like it was a good time.
Monk
7/18/2017 6:55pm
I Ironman'ed a 8.5hr race... Nearly killed me... I had a nap halfway through and pretty sure I had a hallucination or two as I would swear I did some sections twice on the same lap... Would love to do it again though...
digger
Fantasy
3871st
7/18/2017 7:35pm
Nice job Seth, I wish I could have been there to witness it. I haven't talked to anybody yet to hear the war stories.
agn5009
7/18/2017 7:50pm
I wanted to do this so bad. Unfortunately I was a little late signing up and they reached the maximum number. Next year this will be on the list though.

The Shop

TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
7/18/2017 8:02pm
That's awesome. Wow, what a story they'll have for years!

I've done a 24 hr mtb race and that was brutal, but we were only going about 10-15 mph. I can't imagine having the mental stamina to be that spot on, for 2.5 hours, at the tail end of a 24 hr race. Very impressive.

Post a reply to: 24 Hour race decided by 1 second...

The Latest