23.6 Billion..... BILLION

MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
7/19/2014 9:05pm Edited Date/Time 7/23/2014 11:12am
23,600,000,000....... Can you imagine having that much money?

Well a widow in Florida was just awarded that amount in a civil suit against a Tobacco company who 'killed' her husband in the early 90's. Good God.... Who needs that much money? If a tobacco company came into my house and suffocated me with a pillow I wouldn't expect my wife to get 100k let alone TWENTY THREE BILLION DOLLARS!

LINK
|
slipdog
7/19/2014 9:07pm
Shit that's a lot of non moto...er, I mean money.
TNL830
7/19/2014 9:07pm
Yeah that judgement will be In appeals court for years and years.
Pembroke36
7/19/2014 9:11pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2014 9:11pm
I must have missed the results. Where did she finish in the second moto?
Crush
7/19/2014 9:11pm
How the fuck is that a sensible judgement?!?!?!

DOn't get me wrong it sux, it's horrible blah blah blah and I'm not gonna read the story, not that interested, but doesn't a ruling like that just alert everyone else to the potential to sue and get paid?

The overly litigious environment you guys have is crazy!!!!

The Shop

pilotdude
7/19/2014 9:14pm
Maybe you should have to blow into a breathalyzer on your computer before you are allowed to post here in the MOTO RELATED section.
MxKing809
Fantasy
158th
7/19/2014 9:16pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2014 9:30pm
Yeah, my bad..... I just shit my pants reading that and had to share. I'll chalk it up to premature-ejackaposting. I'll do better next time, I swear. This usually doesn't happen to me....
Crush
7/19/2014 9:18pm
premature-ejackaposting...

Hahaha... This needs to be animated.
Berm
Fantasy
82nd
7/19/2014 9:32pm
Crush wrote:
How the fuck is that a sensible judgement?!?!?! DOn't get me wrong it sux, it's horrible blah blah blah and I'm not gonna read the story...

DOn't get me wrong it sux, it's horrible blah blah blah and I'm not gonna read the story, not that interested, but doesn't a ruling like that just alert everyone else to the potential to sue and get paid?

A payout serves two purposes: one is to award the plaintiff with just compensation, the other is the dissuade the defendant (and future defendants) from taking such action in the future.

Its not so much a payment to the Johnson family as it is a punishment to the tobacco firm.

The punishment is there to say: "you were negligent and sought to defraud customers and this is the punishment for that so others can see they should never do this".

Obviously it will be overturned/lessened in appeals court.
BUTCH
7/20/2014 7:22am
I think a judgment of any kind was to much! No one shoved a smoke in this mans pie hole all those years! She should have got'n ZERO...IMO!
enketchum
7/20/2014 11:03pm
It will never be paid. If anything, the tabacco company will have to put a small portion of it into trust during the appeal process
Mr. G
7/21/2014 12:38am
By the early 90's the hat was out of the bag. I hope they never pay it.
7/21/2014 8:55am
She'll never see a dime. Their lawyers will last longer than the woman's lawyers. No doubt they're working "for free" hoping to win and get a life changing payment.
Sandberm
7/21/2014 11:33am
Why arent the lawyers going after BIG BEER?

Alcohols addictive just like cigs and they have their own brand of false advertising with big tited women climbing all over dudes after softball games. Like that ever happens.
The Rock
7/22/2014 4:50pm
Good question Sandberm.

I graduated a year early from HS and started college in January of what would have been my senior year rather than stay behind and "go to all the parties my buddies were attending to get drunk in senior year." I didn't drink in HS because if I did my race bike would have been taken away from me.

Stunned and amazed at the cost to society that alcohol carries. Use not abuse applies to everything especially alcohol.
7/22/2014 5:04pm
Sandberm wrote:
Why arent the lawyers going after BIG BEER? Alcohols addictive just like cigs and they have their own brand of false advertising with big tited women...

Alcohols addictive just like cigs and they have their own brand of false advertising with big tited women climbing all over dudes after softball games. Like that ever happens.
I might be a little paranoid but I'm pretty convinced that stuff like this goes unnoticed because they are paying off the right person in the government. Why are alcoholic beverages exempt from having to put any nutrition information on their products when every single other food or drink has to? That shit is so bad for you. Same with soda and fast food. But at least they have to tell us what is in it before we consume it. I
7/23/2014 10:12am
Sandberm wrote:
Why arent the lawyers going after BIG BEER? Alcohols addictive just like cigs and they have their own brand of false advertising with big tited women...

I'd say the difference is that alcohol does not lead to almost certain death if used as prescribed. You can abuse it and kill yourself or somebody else, but that won't happen with moderate use.
Cigs are the only consumer product I can think of where using it as it was designed to be used will kill you.
IWreckALot
7/23/2014 11:12am
Crush wrote:
How the fuck is that a sensible judgement?!?!?! DOn't get me wrong it sux, it's horrible blah blah blah and I'm not gonna read the story...

Is it not like that in Australia? If not, I really want to move there. I get so tired of reading about the frivolous lawsuits. Then you hear stories regularly that politicians are suing each other using taxpayer money. . . and nothing gets resolved through those lawsuits.

I'd almost rather our politicians take our money and use it to wipe their ass with. At least that way they might get tired of spending our money at some point.

Post a reply to: 23.6 Billion..... BILLION

The Latest