228 mains

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
Now that Reed set the new record at 228(and many more I’m sure), how long will it be before someone else hits that mark? Or will anyone ever get to it again? As much as these guys work during the whole year, idk if we will ever see anyone get to this point, at least not for a long while. What do you guys think?
|
2/26/2018 12:11pm Edited Date/Time 2/26/2018 12:12pm
My guess is Reed ends up with somewhere between 250-255, assuming next year is his final season (and depending on injuries, of course). Will anyone ever beat that? Impossible to know... but I'm not counting on seeing it in my lifetime. Chad's a multi-millionaire who is still racing (through injury, no less) for no other reason than because he wants to be out there. I just don't think they make many more of them like Chad these days....
crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
2/26/2018 12:12pm Edited Date/Time 2/26/2018 12:14pm
Nah I can't think of anyone that would do that. I mean you gotta be among the best guys to make it that far without missing a lot of mains during the years (by not qualifying or by missing races due to injury)
If you look at Brayton, he's about 2 years younger than Reed. He has been riding supercross for what, 12 years?
He's still missing about 100 more main events to even come close to 228...
peelout
2/26/2018 12:17pm
crusty_xx wrote:
Nah I can't think of anyone that would do that. I mean you gotta be among the best guys to make it that far without missing...
Nah I can't think of anyone that would do that. I mean you gotta be among the best guys to make it that far without missing a lot of mains during the years (by not qualifying or by missing races due to injury)
If you look at Brayton, he's about 2 years younger than Reed. He has been riding supercross for what, 12 years?
He's still missing about 100 more main events to even come close to 228...
not only that but Chad Reed and Mike Larocco were among the best of the best for a large number of the years they raced. they were both at the front more than not. what i mean by this is that i don't see a mid-pack guy doing it as long as both of them have been and were able.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
2/26/2018 12:19pm
That's my thing with it as well. I cant think of anyone that I feel would stick around long enough to even come close to 228. Larocco and Reed are a different breed. Does anyone currently racing still have the same love for racing that these two had/have?

The Shop

mauidex
2/26/2018 12:22pm
14 years making every main, assuming 17 a year, is 238...............pretty out of reach I'd say especially with current trend of 10 years or less being a "career"
TDeath21
2/26/2018 1:19pm
Larocco had tons of years where they had fewer than 17 races on the SX schedule I believe. Probably missed out on 10-15 there I’d imagine.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
2/26/2018 2:04pm
I don't think many will have the heart and dedication to go that long. Larocco did 18 seasons and Chad is in his 16th in the premier class. Next year will be his 17th season. There's not much more Reed can go after in terms of records. Only thing left is oldest main event winner and most seasons. I see him coming back in 2019 but don't see him racing in 2021 to beat that record. He'll turn 36 next month. Coming back in 2021 he'd finish the season as a 39 year old. Reed showing up at 40 to make a main event as oldest guy?

I'm a Reed fan so as long as he's out there I'll be cheering for the guy.
Forty
2/26/2018 2:22pm
Gotta stay healthy, smart and fast. Can't see it happening again.
51xc
2/26/2018 4:12pm
well, I am a rossi fan since he jumped on a 125cc bike and I would be very sad to watch him race if he kept racing no matter what results just to break a record for the most races done by anyone in the sport. don't get me wrong, reed is a great athlete but it's a dumb record to be proud of in my opinion. Quality before quantity it is for me. just my 2 cents.
Crush
2/26/2018 5:54pm
TDeath21 wrote:
Larocco had tons of years where they had fewer than 17 races on the SX schedule I believe. Probably missed out on 10-15 there I’d imagine.
Mike a had a few injuries too right, wonder what his record had have been without them?

Chad missed all but one of 2010, at least half of 12 and most of 14 too. It's crazy when you think about it in seasons how long those dudes have ridden for. The fact that the record stood for 12 seasons means it ain't happening for a long ass time either.
FahQ
2/26/2018 6:13pm
Where does Barry Carsten fit in with mains?
I'm pretty sure he was making mains for over 20 years
mxtech1
2/26/2018 6:28pm
I think it has a lot to do with financials. Reed has been doing this a long time. He's earned and won alot of money over his career - especially in the mid 2000s when times seemed good.

Think about how that money from his mid-career set him up for what he has been doing the last 4-6 years. Anytime he is down and out, or between rides, he always has the money, plans, and connections to pull his own deals together. And just long enough to catch the eye of one of the Factories needing a short term rider or to give support. Not many guys can do that financially and most problem just plain don't want to. It's a big gamble.

Reed was one of the top guys when I got into the sport many years ago. I can still remember watching his rookie seasons. It feels like he is the last guy from that generation I grew up with. I am happy to see him continue on as long as he can safely put it in the main.

I think a guy like Dungey could have had a chance. He was rarely hurt and always made mains.

We obviously are seeing a different generation that no longer accepts the risks AFTER the money is made. Smart riders will push for a short career with big contracts.
jemcee
2/26/2018 7:35pm
51xc wrote:
well, I am a rossi fan since he jumped on a 125cc bike and I would be very sad to watch him race if he kept...
well, I am a rossi fan since he jumped on a 125cc bike and I would be very sad to watch him race if he kept racing no matter what results just to break a record for the most races done by anyone in the sport. don't get me wrong, reed is a great athlete but it's a dumb record to be proud of in my opinion. Quality before quantity it is for me. just my 2 cents.
Yeah who'd be proud of being one of the fastest 22 SX riders in the world for the most amount of times
KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
2/26/2018 8:52pm
51xc wrote:
well, I am a rossi fan since he jumped on a 125cc bike and I would be very sad to watch him race if he kept...
Vale has been competitive since returning to Yamaha, but there have been years (mainly the Ducati years, but also the Yamaha years when he was coming off injury). He had a 4 year lull of mediocre results bellow Rossi expectations. There's been calls for him to retire too, but he's still having fun and can win races when the stars align and was in title the past couple years.

Reed is coming off injury. He's had 8 results lower than his career expectations, but last year in Vegas he was in contention to win. In Phoenix he was the 2nd best guy. He's not that far removed from podium finishes.
TDeath21
2/26/2018 9:05pm
TDeath21 wrote:
Crush wrote:
Mike a had a few injuries too right, wonder what his record had have been without them? Chad missed all but one of 2010, at least...
Mike a had a few injuries too right, wonder what his record had have been without them?

Chad missed all but one of 2010, at least half of 12 and most of 14 too. It's crazy when you think about it in seasons how long those dudes have ridden for. The fact that the record stood for 12 seasons means it ain't happening for a long ass time either.
Yeah it’s gonna be hard to break. Basically it takes an all time great wanting to be out there long after his championship contention years are gone. Inevitably, your ability will drop. For most guys, that means not making mains. For Reed, it means not winning. That’s the all time great aspect. The desire aspect is another one they have to have. Very few all time greats want to be out there as just a top ten guy, something thousands of others would love to be of course. Carmichael and Villopoto wanted to go out on top and they did. Both could have obviously gone much longer past their championship years and getting those main event starts, but neither wanted to. It takes that rare combination. Reed has it. I don’t think anyone currently racing has both.
dirtmike86
2/26/2018 9:59pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Now that Reed set the new record at 228(and many more I’m sure), how long will it be before someone else hits that mark? Or will...
Now that Reed set the new record at 228(and many more I’m sure), how long will it be before someone else hits that mark? Or will anyone ever get to it again? As much as these guys work during the whole year, idk if we will ever see anyone get to this point, at least not for a long while. What do you guys think?
Pssshhhh davalos will have 229 250 main starts in no time.
Dougy1
2/26/2018 10:32pm
Dont think it will happen again not at this rate of injuries...not sure any one noticed but his lap times were very respectable at Tampa in the Main. Hes starting too drop a couple pounds as well.
bents
Fantasy
710th
2/26/2018 11:02pm
51xc wrote:
Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. This record is Dimaggio like in every way and I do not see it ever being broken-and the record will rank as one of the most impressive ones in our sport. He broke this record through sheer persistence, stubbornness, and tenacity. He started and finished mains in great pain, and this year alone should not have been racing to start the season. He is creeping into top ten speed, at almost 36. Is that not quality enough for you? You really need to look at his overall record in SX-number of podiums, top 10's, etc.....Jeremy has a lock on SX titles, but Reed is the GOAT of longevity in SX, and that is crazy good in so many ways.
jemcee
2/26/2018 11:11pm
bents wrote:
Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. This record is Dimaggio like in every way and I do not see it...
Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. This record is Dimaggio like in every way and I do not see it ever being broken-and the record will rank as one of the most impressive ones in our sport. He broke this record through sheer persistence, stubbornness, and tenacity. He started and finished mains in great pain, and this year alone should not have been racing to start the season. He is creeping into top ten speed, at almost 36. Is that not quality enough for you? You really need to look at his overall record in SX-number of podiums, top 10's, etc.....Jeremy has a lock on SX titles, but Reed is the GOAT of longevity in SX, and that is crazy good in so many ways.
It's some of the stats within it that impress me as well
One that stood out in this vid on RacerX they say he went 116 straight and Carmichael has 'only' 115 total! Crazy!
2/26/2018 11:57pm
51xc wrote:
Vale has been competitive since returning to Yamaha, but there have been years (mainly the Ducati years, but also the Yamaha years when he was coming...
Vale has been competitive since returning to Yamaha, but there have been years (mainly the Ducati years, but also the Yamaha years when he was coming off injury). He had a 4 year lull of mediocre results bellow Rossi expectations. There's been calls for him to retire too, but he's still having fun and can win races when the stars align and was in title the past couple years.

Reed is coming off injury. He's had 8 results lower than his career expectations, but last year in Vegas he was in contention to win. In Phoenix he was the 2nd best guy. He's not that far removed from podium finishes.
If Rossi's bike is not good enough to contend for the championship this year he has said will retire early in the season. I hope he doesn't I can't stand Marquez.
2/27/2018 12:03am
I can't see anyone surpassing his main event starts, but I hope someone does.

Another point is he should never have done that first year in the 125/250f class, he should have been straight on the 250 2 stroke. He was always going to do well on it, he had been racing 250 2 strokes for 3 years prior, he raced the world mx champs the year before on the 250,
2/27/2018 12:07am
51xc wrote:
Rossi's results did drop off for a few years, then he all of a sudden got his speed back in 2015 I think it was. But between 2012 and 2015 when he was off the pace did you think he should have called it quits?
51xc
2/27/2018 3:34am
51xc wrote:
Rossi's results did drop off for a few years, then he all of a sudden got his speed back in 2015 I think it was. But...
Rossi's results did drop off for a few years, then he all of a sudden got his speed back in 2015 I think it was. But between 2012 and 2015 when he was off the pace did you think he should have called it quits?
between 2011 and 2015 rossi finished twice outside the top 10. twice.
anyways, reed can of course do whatever he wants and if he is still having fun, then thats cool. I'm just saying it's a dumb record and it's, in my eyes, not worth chasing after or concentrating on because he's achieved much bigger than that already. maybe that's easier to understand if I put it that way.

Post a reply to: 228 mains

The Latest