22 yz450s throwing rods?

Shuffy
5/18/2022 2:57pm Edited Date/Time 5/19/2022 5:22pm
Just got a new 2022 yz450 and I’ve been told by multiple people they’ve been throwing rods pretty regularly. Anyone else hear about this?
|
49weasel
5/18/2022 3:14pm
No
ML512
Fantasy
36th
5/18/2022 3:19pm
Shuffy wrote:
Just got a new 2022 yz450 and I’ve been told by multiple people they’ve been throwing rods pretty regularly. Anyone else hear about this?
I’ve seen one locally and heard of one when it happened to a buddy.

Motodave15
5/18/2022 3:21pm
There 250fs are throwing rods.

Markee
Fantasy
2006th
5/18/2022 3:37pm
God that shit is so stupid...

The Shop

moto162
5/18/2022 4:02pm
Never understood Blowing up bikes
Kris Keefer
5/18/2022 4:14pm
2021’s did. 2022 heat treatment process on the 450 rod is diff. 22 YZ450 rods are “usually” reliable.
slipdog
5/18/2022 4:25pm
I don't know about YZ 450 rods but I'm on my 3rd transmission out of two KTM 65s. This is the 2nd time in just under 80hrs on our 2021... "Ready to race!"

5/18/2022 4:33pm Edited Date/Time 5/18/2022 4:34pm
Motodave15 wrote:

This is like walking Rich Strike over behind the stables after it’s Derby win and putting a bullet in its head for the laughs. So fucking stupid.

I wish I was wealthy enough to own a team because you can bet your ass anyone did this to my equipment they would be fired.
Dirt.Squirt
5/18/2022 4:37pm
slipdog wrote:
I don't know about YZ 450 rods but I'm on my 3rd transmission out of two KTM 65s. This is the 2nd time in just under...
I don't know about YZ 450 rods but I'm on my 3rd transmission out of two KTM 65s. This is the 2nd time in just under 80hrs on our 2021... "Ready to race!"

“Ready to Replace!”
5/18/2022 4:54pm
This is like walking Rich Strike over behind the stables after it’s Derby win and putting a bullet in its head for the laughs. So fucking...
This is like walking Rich Strike over behind the stables after it’s Derby win and putting a bullet in its head for the laughs. So fucking stupid.

I wish I was wealthy enough to own a team because you can bet your ass anyone did this to my equipment they would be fired.
True. This is pretty much the same.

I mean, we all know they completely tear down and rebuild Rich Strike with all new components every 5 hours like a factory race motor.
davis224
Fantasy
182nd
5/18/2022 5:11pm
This is like walking Rich Strike over behind the stables after it’s Derby win and putting a bullet in its head for the laughs. So fucking...

True. This is pretty much the same. I mean, we all know they completely tear down and rebuild Rich Strike with all new components every 5...
True. This is pretty much the same.

I mean, we all know they completely tear down and rebuild Rich Strike with all new components every 5 hours like a factory race motor.
I would assume that motor is getting crushed anyway, right? So why not?
GPS
5/18/2022 6:31pm
2020 YZ450. My rod went around 36 hours.
Slow Pro speed.
Don't change oil every ride, but not negligent either.
5/18/2022 7:30pm Edited Date/Time 5/18/2022 7:33pm
davis224 wrote:
My father taught me to respect tools and machinery and to treat them with the care and dignity they deserve.

That machine won a championship. It should be respected. This is the polar opposite of that.

For once I would love to see a championship winning pro give his winning bike a hug and a kiss and then walk the bike into his house and leave it on permanent display for eternity.

Championship winning bikes are never ridden again. They should be memorialized from their final moment of competition.

It's an attitude thing. What I see when assholes purposefully blow up their bike is a lack of respect for the machine that helped them win a championship.
5/18/2022 8:05pm
Shuffy wrote:
You must’ve misheard. What they’re actually saying is you get a throbbing rod after riding one.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
5/18/2022 9:49pm
Shuffy wrote:
You must’ve misheard. What they’re actually saying is you get a throbbing rod after riding one.
Or they actually said you’ll be throwing your rod around after riding one. Chicks dig YZ450s Laughing
watson90
5/18/2022 9:55pm
Motodave15 wrote:

That was a water pump failure not a rod on their 250
zehn
5/18/2022 10:18pm
At what point is the bike they "won the championship with" the same bike they started the season with? After a new frame? New cases? Replacing the clutch ok? I'm confused
5/18/2022 11:36pm
zehn wrote:
At what point is the bike they "won the championship with" the same bike they started the season with? After a new frame? New cases? Replacing...
At what point is the bike they "won the championship with" the same bike they started the season with? After a new frame? New cases? Replacing the clutch ok? I'm confused
‘Trigger’s broom’.

(You won’t understand, it’s a British culture thing that we’ll never stop laughing about!)
Mucktub
5/18/2022 11:58pm
zehn wrote:
At what point is the bike they "won the championship with" the same bike they started the season with? After a new frame? New cases? Replacing...
‘Trigger’s broom’.

(You won’t understand, it’s a British culture thing that we’ll never stop laughing about!)
It's exactly what I thought about when reading Zehns post.
CPR
5/19/2022 12:08am
Motodave15 wrote:

watson90 wrote:
That was a water pump failure not a rod on their 250
Definitely an electrical problem
5/19/2022 12:48am
zehn wrote:
‘Trigger’s broom’.

Grandads Axe?
davis224
Fantasy
182nd
5/19/2022 3:39am
davis224 wrote:
My father taught me to respect tools and machinery and to treat them with the care and dignity they deserve. That machine won a championship. It...
My father taught me to respect tools and machinery and to treat them with the care and dignity they deserve.

That machine won a championship. It should be respected. This is the polar opposite of that.

For once I would love to see a championship winning pro give his winning bike a hug and a kiss and then walk the bike into his house and leave it on permanent display for eternity.

Championship winning bikes are never ridden again. They should be memorialized from their final moment of competition.

It's an attitude thing. What I see when assholes purposefully blow up their bike is a lack of respect for the machine that helped them win a championship.
I would probably do what you described, if they would let me keep the bike. (Not many get to keep their bike as far as I know)

But it's the team's bike, and if that's the way they choose to celebrate, who are we to say otherwise? If that brought them more joy, more power to them.
5/19/2022 4:12am
My father taught me to respect tools and machinery and to treat them with the care and dignity they deserve. That machine won a championship. It...

I don't really care either way, but at the Honda championship afterparty Jett wasn't keen on it at all, and was even getting a bit pissed at his dad who wanted to.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
5/19/2022 8:20am
davis224 wrote:

Championship-winning machines do not belong to the rider; they belong to the factory. Many times they are crushed and in rare cases, they get parted out by the mechanic. It's very likely somebody's friend is going to end up with some basic parts that were once part of Christian Craig's championship-winning YZ250F. (Just not any motor or trick suspension parts. You might find a "works" handlebar or clutch perch that came from a vendor on Joe Blow, friend of a friend of the mechanic's bike.)
I know Yamaha donated Jimmy Button's YZ426 to him as a display piece. They gave him one caveat: do not ever ride it.
tuttle425
5/19/2022 8:28am
Markee wrote:
God that shit is so stupid...
I used to think that blowing up championship bikes was the dumbest thing in moto until I saw the practice of sucking down champagne laced exhaust.
wreckitrandy
5/19/2022 8:30am
slipdog wrote:
I don't know about YZ 450 rods but I'm on my 3rd transmission out of two KTM 65s. This is the 2nd time in just under...

What brand of gear oil are you using?
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
5/19/2022 9:17am
slipdog wrote:

Damn! But looks similar to lots of yz250 gears Pinch
Hammer 663s
5/19/2022 9:29am Edited Date/Time 5/19/2022 9:30am
I don't really care either way, but at the Honda championship afterparty Jett wasn't keen on it at all, and was even getting a bit pissed...
I don't really care either way, but at the Honda championship afterparty Jett wasn't keen on it at all, and was even getting a bit pissed at his dad who wanted to.
That sure as hell wasn't the case at Hangtown last year. The Hunter boys came back into the pits in the evening, drifting their Challenger SRTs, and then abused some motors. Looked like a fun time was had by all.

I never abuse my stuff, but it's my money and it's not unlimited.
seth505
Fantasy
1048th
5/19/2022 9:35am

I think you're confusing respecting tools and machines so they serve you well (and help longevity) with feelings. That machine doesn't care that you blew up the engine after it won a race or series. I agree with you that I wouldn't do it, but it's because I want my stuff to last and not be clapped out. They replace parts constantly and do not resell so components are useless at that point whether you blow them up or not.

Post a reply to: 22 yz450s throwing rods?

The Latest