21 yz250f

Ryan625
2/26/2021 3:11pm
Leeham wrote:
Gonna ride my 21 this weekend hopefully. Tired of it just looking awesome in garage. Needs dirt
Same here with mine I picked up last Friday. The weather has been killing me. I'm hitting Horn on Sunday. Where are you headed?
Leeham wrote:
Probably Riverdale, just trying to get back into it after two big injuries. Gonna take it slow and work and technique and RDale is easiest place...
Probably Riverdale, just trying to get back into it after two big injuries. Gonna take it slow and work and technique and RDale is easiest place for me to do it
Hope the weather holds out. I’m headed to horn in the morning
Leeham
Fantasy
3059th
2/28/2021 2:31pm
Everyone needs a 19+ yamaha 250. These bikes are actual hacks for motocross. Ive never felt so comfortable on this bike vs my past bikes. 3 months of due to injury and I feel awesome and right at home.
AH387
2/28/2021 4:43pm
Leeham wrote:
Everyone needs a 19+ yamaha 250. These bikes are actual hacks for motocross. Ive never felt so comfortable on this bike vs my past bikes. 3...
Everyone needs a 19+ yamaha 250. These bikes are actual hacks for motocross. Ive never felt so comfortable on this bike vs my past bikes. 3 months of due to injury and I feel awesome and right at home.
Exactly why I went back. It just feels at home for me.
AH387
3/1/2021 5:30pm
So what is the general consensus on the filter/set up on the '21? Does the new bike still suffer from the filter breaking down and letting dirt into the intake? If so, is the Twin-air or No Toil kit a "must-have"? I'm not opposed to buying the No Toil, since it's cheap, but I am understanding that you must use their filter. I really don't feel like spending the $ for the Twin Air kit. But if you guys think stock has been good, then maybe I'll just leave it alone (for now.) Just curious.

The Shop

JT Moto
3/1/2021 5:34pm
AH387 wrote:
So what is the general consensus on the filter/set up on the '21? Does the new bike still suffer from the filter breaking down and letting...
So what is the general consensus on the filter/set up on the '21? Does the new bike still suffer from the filter breaking down and letting dirt into the intake? If so, is the Twin-air or No Toil kit a "must-have"? I'm not opposed to buying the No Toil, since it's cheap, but I am understanding that you must use their filter. I really don't feel like spending the $ for the Twin Air kit. But if you guys think stock has been good, then maybe I'll just leave it alone (for now.) Just curious.
Just ride the son bitch!
AH387
3/1/2021 6:05pm
JT Moto wrote:
Just ride the son bitch!
Hasnt been delivered yet, so if you would like to answer my simple question, that would be cool, otherwise why even respond?.....

Only reason im asking is i want to order some extra filters and before i order more, id like to know up front if it makes sense to just order the No Toil kit and grab a few of those filters (since the cage/filter shape is different.)
Lightning78
3/1/2021 6:10pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2021 6:11pm
dedi684 wrote:
I hopped on one at the demos and first thing i noticed was the shrouds were right where my knees go on my yz 250 2s
AH387 wrote:
Yep. Going to a 2stroke you can feel the difference too. But like I said, you get used to it. Maybe the next gen they can...
Yep. Going to a 2stroke you can feel the difference too. But like I said, you get used to it. Maybe the next gen they can figure out a way to make that a little better ergonomically, but also needing the airbox/volume, I can see how it is easier said than done lol.
I don't know why they're still using the Shroud as intake ducts you would think that they would find a way to draw air effectively and more efficiently while narrowing the bike considerably if they just went to a top injection spot that doesnt use the Shroud so much or at least minimize the distance that they reach maybe connecting them right where they meet what should be considered as the airbox I think they can pull it off and narrow both the 250 and 450 bikes by focusing air intake in just a centralized area versus using the shrouds as giant intake pipes or ducts
AH387
3/1/2021 6:31pm
I don't know why they're still using the Shroud as intake ducts you would think that they would find a way to draw air effectively and...
I don't know why they're still using the Shroud as intake ducts you would think that they would find a way to draw air effectively and more efficiently while narrowing the bike considerably if they just went to a top injection spot that doesnt use the Shroud so much or at least minimize the distance that they reach maybe connecting them right where they meet what should be considered as the airbox I think they can pull it off and narrow both the 250 and 450 bikes by focusing air intake in just a centralized area versus using the shrouds as giant intake pipes or ducts
I agree. I guess we will see on the next gen. That will be ideal to slim up that area, but im sure maintaining air volume and clean air intake is also a priority.

But as far as the 21, i just didnt know if people that experienced the stock filter breaking down from rubbing against the backfire screen and box cover on the 19-20, still happens on the 21.
JBecker 72
3/6/2021 3:50pm
Just picked it up a few hours ago. Installed an Acerbis MX skid plate, Pro Taper Evo bars and lock on grips, and gave it a once over. Also added it to my insurance so it’s covered if it gets damaged or stolen. Taking it to a track tomorrow to break it in. Really excited about this thing!

Zycki11
3/6/2021 6:07pm
AH387 wrote:
I agree. I guess we will see on the next gen. That will be ideal to slim up that area, but im sure maintaining air volume...
I agree. I guess we will see on the next gen. That will be ideal to slim up that area, but im sure maintaining air volume and clean air intake is also a priority.

But as far as the 21, i just didnt know if people that experienced the stock filter breaking down from rubbing against the backfire screen and box cover on the 19-20, still happens on the 21.
Sounds like somebody doesn’t pay attention to maintenance lol. I have never heard of that happening, and if it really did I feel sorry for the bike itself haha
Zycki11
3/6/2021 6:07pm
JBecker 72 wrote:
Just picked it up a few hours ago. Installed an Acerbis MX skid plate, Pro Taper Evo bars and lock on grips, and gave it a...
Just picked it up a few hours ago. Installed an Acerbis MX skid plate, Pro Taper Evo bars and lock on grips, and gave it a once over. Also added it to my insurance so it’s covered if it gets damaged or stolen. Taking it to a track tomorrow to break it in. Really excited about this thing!

Congrats bud!
AH387
3/6/2021 6:15pm
Zycki11 wrote:
Sounds like somebody doesn’t pay attention to maintenance lol. I have never heard of that happening, and if it really did I feel sorry for the...
Sounds like somebody doesn’t pay attention to maintenance lol. I have never heard of that happening, and if it really did I feel sorry for the bike itself haha
I haven't had a 19 or 20, which is why I'm asking. But MXA has mentioned it also.
adam8781
3/6/2021 7:02pm
Ryan625 wrote:
Gonna get my first ride in on the YZ250F since breaking my arm. It’s a 2020 but I went with a PC pipe and linkage, modded...
Gonna get my first ride in on the YZ250F since breaking my arm. It’s a 2020 but I went with a PC pipe and linkage, modded stock airbox, no toil backfire eliminator kit, and obviously my own graphics 👍

love this, i took a double take when i saw the flossy bumz sticker, had cody and morgans bikes both here in my shop for engines and suspension work. how you know the crew?
JBecker 72
3/8/2021 5:47am
This bike is fantastic! I put 1:45 on it and I’m so happy with my choice. I immediately felt comfortable, and by the end of the day I was pushing pretty hard. This thing turns so well compared to any Yamaha I’ve ridden before. My buddy with an 18 said it turns way better than his. Motor wise it’s a screamer, after the first 45 minutes of easy riding I loaded up the Keefer mid-top map and the bike was ripping.

I think I’m just gonna add some numbers and a seat cover with pleats and call it good. Need to do some slight suspension adjustment but nothing drastic, it feels sprung right for me out of the box. I’m about 175 pounds. Really don’t feel like this bike needs anything else right now. Gonna save my money and skip the bling and spend that savings on track fees and tires. Smile
AH387
3/8/2021 8:53am
JBecker 72 wrote:
This bike is fantastic! I put 1:45 on it and I’m so happy with my choice. I immediately felt comfortable, and by the end of the...
This bike is fantastic! I put 1:45 on it and I’m so happy with my choice. I immediately felt comfortable, and by the end of the day I was pushing pretty hard. This thing turns so well compared to any Yamaha I’ve ridden before. My buddy with an 18 said it turns way better than his. Motor wise it’s a screamer, after the first 45 minutes of easy riding I loaded up the Keefer mid-top map and the bike was ripping.

I think I’m just gonna add some numbers and a seat cover with pleats and call it good. Need to do some slight suspension adjustment but nothing drastic, it feels sprung right for me out of the box. I’m about 175 pounds. Really don’t feel like this bike needs anything else right now. Gonna save my money and skip the bling and spend that savings on track fees and tires. Smile
So awesome to hear that. That was sort of how I was going into mine also. I don't think the bike will need much. Just going to keep it maintained, dial the clickers and run it.
sandtrack315
3/8/2021 10:15am Edited Date/Time 3/8/2021 10:36am
JBecker 72 wrote:
This bike is fantastic! I put 1:45 on it and I’m so happy with my choice. I immediately felt comfortable, and by the end of the...

Go stiffer on the fork spring. Made a huge difference for me (160 pounds w/o gear).
JBecker 72
3/8/2021 12:16pm
JBecker 72 wrote:

Go stiffer on the fork spring. Made a huge difference for me (160 pounds w/o gear).
Really? I felt like the forks were on the money, but the track didn’t have any big jumps. Largest was about 50’ gap. I’ll have a better feel for how the suspension works when I take it to Budds Creek or Tomahawk soon.
Leeham
Fantasy
3059th
3/8/2021 1:12pm
Suspension feels good for me (165 lbs without gear). The only thing I could even imagine doing to this bike is a vortex ECU and buying extra wheel sets. Stuff I can sell easily when it comes to get a new bike. Im mid pack local C Class so im not crazy fast. I defintely prefer how this bike corners compared to the 19 Honda 250 I had (weird I know, it turned too fast for me lol)
tobz
3/8/2021 1:56pm
AH387 wrote:
I agree. I guess we will see on the next gen. That will be ideal to slim up that area, but im sure maintaining air volume...

That’s definitely not an issue. The issue is the way the stock filter mounts, and how the filter is changed can lead to dirt dropping in.

The filter doesn’t “rub on the cage” Unsure
mikejones202
Fantasy
3161st
3/9/2021 8:03am
JBecker 72 wrote:

JBecker 72 wrote:
Really? I felt like the forks were on the money, but the track didn’t have any big jumps. Largest was about 50’ gap. I’ll have a...
Really? I felt like the forks were on the money, but the track didn’t have any big jumps. Largest was about 50’ gap. I’ll have a better feel for how the suspension works when I take it to Budds Creek or Tomahawk soon.
I've had mine since end of October and I have only made clicker adjustments on the suspension...im 155 lbs. Set the sag at 104-107mm and you're cherry. I have about 12 hours on mine now and solely riding at tomahawk and budds over the winter. Was at tomahawk sunday for the d6 race and bike handles like a dream. A thousand times better then my old Husky 350 with spring cone valves. Again, mine is bone stock suspension with clicker adjustments, a full PC pipe, and I run the Yamaha "Exciting Power" map available on Yamahas website....only thing I might consider changing is gearing so I can run the gears a little bit longer, but thats it.
zeromarine
3/9/2021 8:05am
JBecker 72 wrote:

What map is the mid top one?
Ah never mind the top end one I have that one but haven’t used it yet.

That aside what’s everyone’s fav map so far. Got 1.5 hours on mine on some home made crappy track in some field so far as the main track isn’t open. I’m using the keefer free feeling map and the Yamaha exciting power one they both feel good, can feel a little bit of difference between the 2.

I’m 156 without gear and I’m using Keefer’s setup for suspension which is just a tad bit stiffer then stock and the front forks are at 4mm bike seems to work nice can’t wait to get it on the track.

JBecker 72
3/9/2021 8:15am
JBecker 72 wrote:

zeromarine wrote:
What map is the mid top one? Ah never mind the top end one I have that one but haven’t used it yet. That aside what’s...

That aside what’s everyone’s fav map so far. Got 1.5 hours on mine on some home made crappy track in some field so far as the main track isn’t open. I’m using the keefer free feeling map and the Yamaha exciting power one they both feel good, can feel a little bit of difference between the 2.

I’m 156 without gear and I’m using Keefer’s setup for suspension which is just a tad bit stiffer then stock and the front forks are at 4mm bike seems to work nice can’t wait to get it on the track.

This is the one

JBecker 72
3/9/2021 8:21am
JBecker 72 wrote:
Really? I felt like the forks were on the money, but the track didn’t have any big jumps. Largest was about 50’ gap. I’ll have a...
I've had mine since end of October and I have only made clicker adjustments on the suspension...im 155 lbs. Set the sag at 104-107mm and you're...
I've had mine since end of October and I have only made clicker adjustments on the suspension...im 155 lbs. Set the sag at 104-107mm and you're cherry. I have about 12 hours on mine now and solely riding at tomahawk and budds over the winter. Was at tomahawk sunday for the d6 race and bike handles like a dream. A thousand times better then my old Husky 350 with spring cone valves. Again, mine is bone stock suspension with clicker adjustments, a full PC pipe, and I run the Yamaha "Exciting Power" map available on Yamahas website....only thing I might consider changing is gearing so I can run the gears a little bit longer, but thats it.
Initially I was thinking the bike could use a 1 tooth smaller rear sprocket, but I think that was before I realized just how much you can rev the bike. I think it would also lose that nice third gear through corners ability. I might give it a shot, but want to ride it more on a bigger track first.
zeromarine
3/9/2021 8:33am
JBecker 72 wrote:

zeromarine wrote:
What map is the mid top one? Ah never mind the top end one I have that one but haven’t used it yet. That aside what’s...

JBecker 72 wrote:
This is the one [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/03/09/482205/s1200_79A7D86D_564A_4827_8AE2_4800BB23778A.jpg[/img]
This is the one

K yeah I have that one. But haven’t used it yet.
Are you running your forks at 4mm?
Thanks !
JBecker 72
3/9/2021 8:35am
zeromarine wrote:

JBecker 72 wrote:
This is the one [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/03/09/482205/s1200_79A7D86D_564A_4827_8AE2_4800BB23778A.jpg[/img]
This is the one

zeromarine wrote:
Thanks !
So far the suspension is as it came from Yamaha, I haven’t touched it. The bike seemed to turn in well at the original 7mm setting while not being nervous at speed. I will do more tweaking as I get some more time on the bike.
zeromarine
3/9/2021 8:44am
JBecker 72 wrote:
This is the one

zeromarine wrote:
Thanks !
JBecker 72 wrote:
So far the suspension is as it came from Yamaha, I haven’t touched it. The bike seemed to turn in well at the original 7mm setting...
So far the suspension is as it came from Yamaha, I haven’t touched it. The bike seemed to turn in well at the original 7mm setting while not being nervous at speed. I will do more tweaking as I get some more time on the bike.
Ok thanks ! I just threw in the setup keefer recommends and I’ll go from there which is a bit stiffer all around and forks at 4mm and sag at 104.
AH387
3/9/2021 11:12am
tobz wrote:
That’s definitely not an issue. The issue is the way the stock filter mounts, and how the filter is changed can lead to dirt dropping in...
That’s definitely not an issue. The issue is the way the stock filter mounts, and how the filter is changed can lead to dirt dropping in.

The filter doesn’t “rub on the cage” Unsure
Well I ended up just buying the No Toil Super-flo kit (and some extra filters for that) anyways, so it is what it is, at this point. Thanks though.
Skerby
3/10/2021 7:07am

sandtrack315
3/10/2021 11:16am
JBecker 72 wrote:

JBecker 72 wrote:
I ride those tracks. I am 33 now but mid pack B speed. You’ll want more holdup down those hills. Send it to Enzo. I’m at field of dreams riding it now. It is more plush but way more holdup. You’ll get too low in the stroke with stock.
wrc777
Fantasy
1130th
3/10/2021 12:37pm
Any issues with slow starting hot or cold? I know it was an issue on the 2020 250FX.

Post a reply to: 21 yz250f

The Latest