2015 Rmz450 best oil type?

Edited Date/Time 4/23/2020 9:21pm
Just bought the bike and guys been running gn4 10w40 Honda oil in it it’s easy to find and cheap but the recommendation for oil is Motul 300V. Could I continue to run this or should I upgrade it any advice is appreciated new to this bike and forum here
|
davermz450
4/21/2020 12:28am
Do you like blondes, redheads or brunettes? No right answer. That is like oil. Run and date what makes you happy.
SweetDaddy
4/21/2020 4:41am
I used to run the full syn valvoline from walmart with no problem. Tried to run it in my KTM and would cause me to miss shifts - had to switch to bel-ray

The Shop

fourfourone
4/21/2020 4:45am
use conventional oil and change it often. Every 5 hours and oil filter every 10.
austin_bo
Fantasy
228th
4/21/2020 6:28am
Bertolli is great. It's super cheap and you can just grab a quart while you're food shopping.
Rocket88
4/21/2020 6:34am
In before this turns into a multi-page cluster fuck.
GaryC1
4/21/2020 7:19am
Rocket88 wrote:
Will never understand this question, why you wouldn't just run the oil the manufacturers says to use or at the very least the advised weight, I'll never know.
Hudd_421
4/21/2020 8:17am
Rocket88 wrote:
GaryC1 wrote:
Will never understand this question, why you wouldn't just run the oil the manufacturers says to use or at the very least the advised weight, I'll...
Will never understand this question, why you wouldn't just run the oil the manufacturers says to use or at the very least the advised weight, I'll never know.
There’s always this guy...
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
4/21/2020 8:27am
Run a good, conventional oil from a trusted brand which is intended for wet clutch use and you'll be fine. Change it often. Don't run an automobile oil or anything which has the "fuel conserving" label on it as those may cause your clutch to slip.
If you want to gain a small performance increase, run a full synthetic, "race" oil with a thinner viscosity, but change it even more often. I think Yamalube has a 0W-30 Racing oil which is pretty good. Motul, Bel-Ray, Motorex and probably Castrol all have true full-synthetic oils which have the properties I'm talking about. You can tell, because they cost $20 or more per quart. For the most part, any oil which is called "full synthetic" but only costs $10-$12 is probably called such thanks to barely legal marketing hyperbole. It is still made from dead dinosaurs and not really man-made synthetic molecules.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
4/21/2020 8:37am
Best advice for the RMZ450, run 20w-50. Little thicker and helps keep from miss-shifting. We use Maxima Premium 4.
4/21/2020 6:26pm
Why would you run conventional? Run a 10 40 synthetic made for off road motorcycles. Motul is great, so is belray, maxima, vp, Amsoil, the list goes on, pick one stick with it, get a stainless oil filter and keep the oil changed and filters clean Make Sure you you drain the oil from ALL HOLES. I personally run Suzuki’s ecstar oil, and change it probably to often but it makes me feel good
4/21/2020 6:28pm
Falcon wrote:
Run a good, conventional oil from a trusted brand which is intended for wet clutch use and you'll be fine. Change it often. Don't run an...
Run a good, conventional oil from a trusted brand which is intended for wet clutch use and you'll be fine. Change it often. Don't run an automobile oil or anything which has the "fuel conserving" label on it as those may cause your clutch to slip.
If you want to gain a small performance increase, run a full synthetic, "race" oil with a thinner viscosity, but change it even more often. I think Yamalube has a 0W-30 Racing oil which is pretty good. Motul, Bel-Ray, Motorex and probably Castrol all have true full-synthetic oils which have the properties I'm talking about. You can tell, because they cost $20 or more per quart. For the most part, any oil which is called "full synthetic" but only costs $10-$12 is probably called such thanks to barely legal marketing hyperbole. It is still made from dead dinosaurs and not really man-made synthetic molecules.
Basing the cost of the oil on its performance isn’t necessarily true
CLT809
Fantasy
16th
4/22/2020 5:34am
One would think this would be stating the obvious, but since people are recommending other OEM's oil, why not run Ecstar 9000, the full synthetic oil that Suzuki recommends? Or their new MX9000 that JGR developed?

For break-in purposes they are filled with non-synthetic from the factory, but switching to their full synthetic has eliminated any hard or notchy shifting for me and my friends on the RMZ450.

Suzuki is doing 15% off the entire oil/accessory catalog, with free shipping on orders over $50.
https://store.suzukicycles.com/?fbclid=IwAR3oYsdLcFt0VZvyynb023fbQno1HP…
Teej317
Fantasy
2087th
4/22/2020 7:00am
Rotella T4. Oil change at 6 hours per what the manual says. Life is good.
ElliotB16
4/22/2020 7:03am
Rotella T4. 80 hours on kx450 and no issues. It’s convenient that most auto parts stores carry it
MXer391
4/22/2020 9:32am
Just bought the bike and guys been running gn4 10w40 Honda oil in it it’s easy to find and cheap but the recommendation for oil is...
Just bought the bike and guys been running gn4 10w40 Honda oil in it it’s easy to find and cheap but the recommendation for oil is Motul 300V. Could I continue to run this or should I upgrade it any advice is appreciated new to this bike and forum here
To answer your question, you can keep running the Honda GN4 10w-40. It is a quality motorcycle oil. Change it often and follow the oil change procedure in your manual, which someone else pointed out in this thread and was good advice, and you'll be good to go.
jbonemalone
4/22/2020 9:45am
At the end of the day quantity and cleanliness of oil matters more than the sticker on the bottle.
STLSharky
4/22/2020 10:03am
Just bought the bike and guys been running gn4 10w40 Honda oil in it it’s easy to find and cheap but the recommendation for oil is...
oils oil
STLSharky
4/22/2020 10:09am
Why would you run conventional? Run a 10 40 synthetic made for off road motorcycles. Motul is great, so is belray, maxima, vp, Amsoil, the list...
Why would you run conventional? Run a 10 40 synthetic made for off road motorcycles. Motul is great, so is belray, maxima, vp, Amsoil, the list goes on, pick one stick with it, get a stainless oil filter and keep the oil changed and filters clean Make Sure you you drain the oil from ALL HOLES. I personally run Suzuki’s ecstar oil, and change it probably to often but it makes me feel good
called pro circuit shop years ago they use maxima premium 4 conv on all race bikes they said, aint a motherfucker on the planet thats ever been able to spot a failed oil type
captmoto
4/22/2020 6:01pm
Another troll post starting Vitals weekly oil argument.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
4/22/2020 6:27pm
Falcon wrote:
Run a good, conventional oil from a trusted brand which is intended for wet clutch use and you'll be fine. Change it often. Don't run an...
Correct, but no PAO or Ester-based "true" synthetic has been in the $10-$12 range for a long while now. If you can prove me wrong, you just helped me find my new oil.
Mossy
4/22/2020 7:09pm
Buy moto brands and support the industry bro Wink I buy Maxima Synblend for my 18 Rmz 450 and Maxima Castor927 for my 2 stroke. Sometimes I get the full synthetic maxima stuff but I switch it up back and fourth between Synblend and the ProPlus+
Big Tex27
4/22/2020 7:32pm
Mobil-1 4T 10-40 is what I ran/run in my 12 rmz450 and 15 rmz 250 for years with no problem and many other bikes. Easy to get and reasonably priced. Change it often and keep the air filter clean and it will run forever. The only oil I've had trouble with is rotella. Fried a fairly new clutch on a 17 yz250. Only time that has happened to me in 20 years.
mx510
Fantasy
1707th
4/22/2020 7:36pm
Delo or Rotella!
4/22/2020 7:49pm
Falcon wrote:
Falcon wrote:
Correct, but no PAO or Ester-based "true" synthetic has been in the $10-$12 range for a long while now. If you can prove me wrong, you...
Correct, but no PAO or Ester-based "true" synthetic has been in the $10-$12 range for a long while now. If you can prove me wrong, you just helped me find my new oil.
So how much better is ester based oil? If I’m changing my oil every 3 hours with Suzuki’s oil which is about $13 a qt, is spending $21 for motul or any other eater based that much better? Genuinely curious not being a dick lol.
4/23/2020 9:21pm
Falcon wrote:
Correct, but no PAO or Ester-based "true" synthetic has been in the $10-$12 range for a long while now. If you can prove me wrong, you...
So how much better is ester based oil? If I’m changing my oil every 3 hours with Suzuki’s oil which is about $13 a qt, is...
So how much better is ester based oil? If I’m changing my oil every 3 hours with Suzuki’s oil which is about $13 a qt, is spending $21 for motul or any other eater based that much better? Genuinely curious not being a dick lol.
You need a chlorinated paraffin like Duralube to really jump next level, then dump some slick 50 and STP on top of that.

Post a reply to: 2015 Rmz450 best oil type?

The Latest