2023 KTM models?

FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
11/15/2021 10:27am
crusher773 wrote:
I kinda hope they do on the SX bikes looking to go to a 125 for my boy be nice to have an injected bike.
Please, God, no.

No way in hell do I want any kind of injection on motocross 2-strokes. Totally defeats the point of owning a 2-stroke for MX - low cost, light weight, easy maintenance.

I can *sorta see the point for off-road where ease of tuning is important and absolute outright power is not so much. But for MX, there is no point to injecting a 2-stroke. Don't be afraid of some carb brass. The settings are all figured out.
swordfish
11/15/2021 11:10am
crusher773 wrote:
I kinda hope they do on the SX bikes looking to go to a 125 for my boy be nice to have an injected bike.
FGR01 wrote:
Please, God, no. No way in hell do I want any kind of injection on motocross 2-strokes. Totally defeats the point of owning a 2-stroke for...
Please, God, no.

No way in hell do I want any kind of injection on motocross 2-strokes. Totally defeats the point of owning a 2-stroke for MX - low cost, light weight, easy maintenance.

I can *sorta see the point for off-road where ease of tuning is important and absolute outright power is not so much. But for MX, there is no point to injecting a 2-stroke. Don't be afraid of some carb brass. The settings are all figured out.
It’s gonna happen at some point. The carb won’t be around forever. Better get used to it. Seems like 4 strokes are doing just fine since they dropped carbs.
11/15/2021 11:45am
crusher773 wrote:
FGR01 wrote:
Please, God, no. No way in hell do I want any kind of injection on motocross 2-strokes. Totally defeats the point of owning a 2-stroke for...
Please, God, no.

Bro, have you jetted a Mikuni carbed 125SX? I spent days modifing and jetting and got it running good, but never perfect. To have a 125 that runs perfect every time without stutter or fear of detonation would be a dream!
I think TPI with separate oil is overly complicated, but a TBI running on premix would be sweet!
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
11/15/2021 12:46pm
#434 wrote:
Bro, have you jetted a Mikuni carbed 125SX? I spent days modifing and jetting and got it running good, but never perfect. To have a 125...
Bro, have you jetted a Mikuni carbed 125SX? I spent days modifing and jetting and got it running good, but never perfect. To have a 125 that runs perfect every time without stutter or fear of detonation would be a dream!
I think TPI with separate oil is overly complicated, but a TBI running on premix would be sweet!
Yes, I have. Your prayers have been answered right here. Using these specs, my TC125 runs perfect every time without stutter or fear of detonation. Absolutely zero reason to want any kind of injection on this bike.

The Shop

Brent
11/15/2021 1:11pm
Looks like I have to get new adapters for my existing rear KTM wheels, smaller axle and different spacers on the new bikes.

swordfish
11/16/2021 4:20am
crusher773 wrote:
FGR01 wrote:
Please, God, no.

#434 wrote:
Bro, have you jetted a Mikuni carbed 125SX? I spent days modifing and jetting and got it running good, but never perfect. To have a 125...
What’s so overly compicated? The same oil pump is used in other applications for thousands of hours. TBI set up is pretty similar in terms of parts, sensors and weight minus the oil pump.
11/16/2021 5:23am
FGR01 wrote:
Please, God, no.

#434 wrote:
swordfish wrote:
What’s so overly compicated? The same oil pump is used in other applications for thousands of hours. TBI set up is pretty similar in terms of...
What’s so overly compicated? The same oil pump is used in other applications for thousands of hours. TBI set up is pretty similar in terms of parts, sensors and weight minus the oil pump.
The TPI bikes are very heavy! The EXC300 TPI weighs as much as a EXC350. It gained 3-4 kilos.

removing the oil tank, pump and injector as well as reducing to one fuel injector and simpliyfing the cylinder (no ports) would make for a simpler, cheaper bike, but would make it much more user friendly.
11/16/2021 5:31am
#434 wrote:
FGR01 wrote:
Yes, I have. Your [url=https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Tech-Help-Race-Shop,42/KTM-HUS-125-150-250-jetting-thread,1363394]prayers have been answered[/url] right here. Using these specs, my TC125 runs perfect every time without stutter or fear of detonation. Absolutely...
Yes, I have. Your prayers have been answered right here. Using these specs, my TC125 runs perfect every time without stutter or fear of detonation. Absolutely zero reason to want any kind of injection on this bike.
I‘ve done all the mods, cut the slide, changed the setting and so on. It was a huge improvement, but not from ok to perfect, just from unrideable to good. I still have to change needle position and pilot when there‘s a temperature or elevation change.
I just want a 125 that runs the same every time. I would give up 3 HPs and 3 kg for that.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
11/16/2021 5:55am
#434 wrote:
FGR01 wrote:
Yes, I have. Your [url=https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Tech-Help-Race-Shop,42/KTM-HUS-125-150-250-jetting-thread,1363394]prayers have been answered[/url] right here. Using these specs, my TC125 runs perfect every time without stutter or fear of detonation. Absolutely...
#434 wrote:
I‘ve done all the mods, cut the slide, changed the setting and so on. It was a huge improvement, but not from ok to perfect, just...
I‘ve done all the mods, cut the slide, changed the setting and so on. It was a huge improvement, but not from ok to perfect, just from unrideable to good. I still have to change needle position and pilot when there‘s a temperature or elevation change.
I just want a 125 that runs the same every time. I would give up 3 HPs and 3 kg for that.
A 125 that has 3HP less and weighs 10 pounds more? I think you're in a boat alone there.

On my 125 with the carb setup, I ride from 800 - 5,500ft and from 40 - 107 degrees F. Across all of that I change the needle 1-clip and the pilot 1 size. Not a huge deal. If my conditions were more "average" I wouldn't need to change at all.

Vital MX: "We really need cheap, affordable, uncomplicated, light weight, entry level 2-strokes to make MX more accessible."

Also Vital MX: "Let's put 10 lbs of expensive battery, injectors, pumps, and complicated electronics on a 125."
11/16/2021 6:04am
FGR01 wrote:
#434 wrote:
I‘ve done all the mods, cut the slide, changed the setting and so on. It was a huge improvement, but not from ok to perfect, just...
FGR01 wrote:
A 125 that has 3HP less and weighs 10 pounds more? I think you're in a boat alone there. On my 125 with the carb setup...
A 125 that has 3HP less and weighs 10 pounds more? I think you're in a boat alone there.

On my 125 with the carb setup, I ride from 800 - 5,500ft and from 40 - 107 degrees F. Across all of that I change the needle 1-clip and the pilot 1 size. Not a huge deal. If my conditions were more "average" I wouldn't need to change at all.

Vital MX: "We really need cheap, affordable, uncomplicated, light weight, entry level 2-strokes to make MX more accessible."

Also Vital MX: "Let's put 10 lbs of expensive battery, injectors, pumps, and complicated electronics on a 125."
I get your point and this was my opinion for a long time. However I‘m fed up with changing brass.. call me old, lazy and soft. I just want to pull it out of the shed, start it up and ride…
And I stay with it: would trade in 3 hp, 6 pounds and 500 bucks for a always perfectly running 125!
WDSRCR
11/16/2021 6:08am
#434 wrote:
FGR01 wrote:
A 125 that has 3HP less and weighs 10 pounds more? I think you're in a boat alone there. On my 125 with the carb setup...

#434 wrote:
I get your point and this was my opinion for a long time. However I‘m fed up with changing brass.. call me old, lazy and soft...
I get your point and this was my opinion for a long time. However I‘m fed up with changing brass.. call me old, lazy and soft. I just want to pull it out of the shed, start it up and ride…
And I stay with it: would trade in 3 hp, 6 pounds and 500 bucks for a always perfectly running 125!
Buy a Keihin, jet it for summer and then lower the clip one slot for winter. It's really that easy.
hylo
11/16/2021 6:13am
FGR01 wrote:
#434 wrote:
FGR01 wrote:

I’d take a properly tuned carb any day over TPI. Ive done all the mods and my bike runs fantastic. But TBI makes me curious. What if it is better? That would seriously be cool. I like my kickstart. The bike starts easily enough. I hate my kickstart after Ive flooded the engine on a sandtrack after a crash and im so tired that i can barely stand let alone kick the bike over.

But i think e-start is unneccesary. Maybe i just like being tortured when im tired.
swordfish
11/16/2021 7:09am
#434 wrote:
swordfish wrote:
What’s so overly compicated? The same oil pump is used in other applications for thousands of hours. TBI set up is pretty similar in terms of...
#434 wrote:
The TPI bikes are very heavy! The EXC300 TPI weighs as much as a EXC350. It gained 3-4 kilos. removing the oil tank, pump and injector...
The TPI bikes are very heavy! The EXC300 TPI weighs as much as a EXC350. It gained 3-4 kilos.

removing the oil tank, pump and injector as well as reducing to one fuel injector and simpliyfing the cylinder (no ports) would make for a simpler, cheaper bike, but would make it much more user friendly.
My TX300 weighs 222lbs. That’s not heavy for a 300. Look at what a Sherco or Beta weighs, even a YZ250X. TBI runs 2 injectors. If anything you will see more injectors than less in the future as it provides more consistent fueling. So you are looking at around maybe 4lb max more with TPI vs TBI. Pretty negligible difference considering how much weight people add with aftermarket parts.
Broseph
11/16/2021 8:29am
#434 wrote:
I get your point and this was my opinion for a long time. However I‘m fed up with changing brass.. call me old, lazy and soft...
This is a real stupid question… but you have replaced the jet block gasket, right?
Broseph
11/16/2021 8:33am Edited Date/Time 11/16/2021 8:34am
swordfish wrote:
My TX300 weighs 222lbs. That’s not heavy for a 300. Look at what a Sherco or Beta weighs, even a YZ250X. TBI runs 2 injectors. If...
My TX300 weighs 222lbs. That’s not heavy for a 300. Look at what a Sherco or Beta weighs, even a YZ250X. TBI runs 2 injectors. If anything you will see more injectors than less in the future as it provides more consistent fueling. So you are looking at around maybe 4lb max more with TPI vs TBI. Pretty negligible difference considering how much weight people add with aftermarket parts.
I suppose everything is negligible if you want it to be…

No, TPI shouldn’t be compared to Beta or Sherco or a 15 year old Yamaha. It should be compared to the bikes it replaced. And it is unquestionably heavier, softer, and more complicated than the bikes it replaced.
11/16/2021 9:07am
#434 wrote:
Broseph wrote:
This is a real stupid question… but you have replaced the jet block gasket, right?
Not a stupid question, a must do! Mine was bad.
Drilled the holes in the fuel resovoir around the main jet, adjusted the height of the swimmer, cut the slide to a number five (I think), changed all the brass including switching to a S4. All of it.
Like I said, it‘s running good, just needs an adjustment here and there, no big deal.
However, I only ride ocassionaly and it would be nice to have the peace of mind to just know: it’s gonna be crisp and safe every time, no matter if I ride sand in Italy in the winter or hard pack in Germany in Summer at 3.000 feet. Just like a EFI-4Stroke (or does anybody miss messing with the accelerator pump when it bogged from time to time???)
11/16/2021 9:09am
Sorry that it turned into a carb vs. TPI vs. TBI thread…

What about new pictures of the 2023 bikes? All the factory riders should be on‘em right now.
11/16/2021 9:15am
#434 wrote:
Sorry that it turned into a carb vs. TPI vs. TBI thread… What about new pictures of the 2023 bikes? All the factory riders should be...
Sorry that it turned into a carb vs. TPI vs. TBI thread…

What about new pictures of the 2023 bikes? All the factory riders should be on‘em right now.
Agreed, keep this thread a 2023 model news an not Carb/TPI/Weight etc.
500 Mike
11/16/2021 9:24am
WDSRCR wrote:
Buy a Keihin, jet it for summer and then lower the clip one slot for winter. It's really that easy.
Agree with this 100%. Get rid of the Mikuni and get a Keihin. Best money you’ll spend and jetting will be crisp.
Broseph
11/16/2021 11:02am Edited Date/Time 11/16/2021 11:02am
Agreed, keep this thread a 2023 model news an not Carb/TPI/Weight etc.
Those are 2023 topics though. There’s a very real chance the SX bikes go from carb to TPI/TBI and gain some weight in the process.
11/16/2021 11:47am
Well, you‘re right!
So, what would be the simplest, lightest EFI option for the two-strokes? Is Premix-TBI possible without a battery?
Rickyisms
11/16/2021 12:02pm
#434 wrote:
FGR01 wrote:

#434 wrote:
I jetted my 125 and 150 a 5 years ago and the bike has been crisp as ever in the Florida Summer and a few times in TN around November.
Ob917
11/16/2021 5:50pm
I live down here and lots of my buddies or friends of buddies work for or know Ktm employees. I hear some weird things like 50mm forks, air shocks and some form of power shifting is coming. I can’t wait to see especially the husky stuff. 🤷🏼‍♂️
11/16/2021 5:52pm
Ob917 wrote:
I live down here and lots of my buddies or friends of buddies work for or know Ktm employees. I hear some weird things like 50mm...
I live down here and lots of my buddies or friends of buddies work for or know Ktm employees. I hear some weird things like 50mm forks, air shocks and some form of power shifting is coming. I can’t wait to see especially the husky stuff. 🤷🏼‍♂️
FOLLOWING
11/16/2021 5:53pm
Ob917 wrote:
I live down here and lots of my buddies or friends of buddies work for or know Ktm employees. I hear some weird things like 50mm...
FOLLOWING
Haven't seen any spy photos of the Husky yet.
11/16/2021 6:06pm
3N1MX wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/11/16/518664/s1200_2FA9E532_234B_4197_BA8E_8F84DC361046.jpg[/img]

Nice!!! Good Find
Ob917
11/16/2021 6:06pm
Haha that down vote came fast!!!
duboiz
11/16/2021 6:59pm
3N1MX wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/11/16/518664/s1200_2FA9E532_234B_4197_BA8E_8F84DC361046.jpg[/img]

I'm sure redbull is pleased with the shroud design

Post a reply to: 2023 KTM models?

The Latest