2023 KTM SX300 Official Thread

sam hain
10/19/2022 8:35am
sam hain wrote:
I may kick myself for buying the 250 in the end, but I just thought for an out of shape vet guy it might be easier...
I may kick myself for buying the 250 in the end, but I just thought for an out of shape vet guy it might be easier to race than the 300. Since 2007 I've only had two 250's, in that time I've had five 300's. Either way it should be a fun bike to own.
yz763 wrote:
They're both going to be great bikes. I love the way a 250 revs and I am afraid that a 300 won't rev like the 250...
They're both going to be great bikes. I love the way a 250 revs and I am afraid that a 300 won't rev like the 250. But the videos I have seen the 300 revs pretty well.
Yep same here, all the videos the 300 sounds like a ripper. I'm anxious to try mine in the aggressive map. She should bark.
Spooner
10/19/2022 9:26am
I’m thinking of just getting the sx version and converting it. I just don’t see $2500 more for a big tank, kick stand, 18” wheel, and 6th gear.
sam hain
10/19/2022 10:50am
Spooner wrote:
I’m thinking of just getting the sx version and converting it. I just don’t see $2500 more for a big tank, kick stand, 18” wheel, and...
I’m thinking of just getting the sx version and converting it. I just don’t see $2500 more for a big tank, kick stand, 18” wheel, and 6th gear.
I've converted a handful of sx bikes to off-road and every time I did I swore I wouldn't do it again.
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
10/19/2022 11:15am
sam hain wrote:
I may kick myself for buying the 250 in the end, but I just thought for an out of shape vet guy it might be easier...
I may kick myself for buying the 250 in the end, but I just thought for an out of shape vet guy it might be easier to race than the 300. Since 2007 I've only had two 250's, in that time I've had five 300's. Either way it should be a fun bike to own.
yz763 wrote:
They're both going to be great bikes. I love the way a 250 revs and I am afraid that a 300 won't rev like the 250...
They're both going to be great bikes. I love the way a 250 revs and I am afraid that a 300 won't rev like the 250. But the videos I have seen the 300 revs pretty well.
sam hain wrote:
Yep same here, all the videos the 300 sounds like a ripper. I'm anxious to try mine in the aggressive map. She should bark.
Marv was saying how even the 250 is torquey and doesn’t necessarily want or need to be screamed. Thought that was interesting.

The Shop

XC706
Fantasy
799th
10/19/2022 12:27pm
Spooner wrote:
I’m thinking of just getting the sx version and converting it. I just don’t see $2500 more for a big tank, kick stand, 18” wheel, and...
It is not as good as it looks. You will also need the fuel pump for the XC tank. Thats $1000 around my here for the tank & pump.
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
10/19/2022 4:09pm
Spooner wrote:
XC706 wrote:
It is not as good as it looks. You will also need the fuel pump for the XC tank. Thats $1000 around my here for the...
It is not as good as it looks. You will also need the fuel pump for the XC tank. Thats $1000 around my here for the tank & pump.
Rmatv has the tank and pump for about $500. You only gain a quart of fuel though. If you need a bigger tank aftermarket is going to be the way to go. I also would like to know if the sx fuel pump fits the xc tank. Xc pump has a sending unit for low fuel level and sx does not. Is anything else actually different about the pumps?
XC706
Fantasy
799th
10/19/2022 5:45pm
Great price but still around $800 to get it up here.
Dealer told me XC pump is longer.
Motobeau179
10/19/2022 5:47pm
Spooner wrote:
XC706 wrote:
It is not as good as it looks. You will also need the fuel pump for the XC tank. Thats $1000 around my here for the...
wrc777 wrote:
Rmatv has the tank and pump for about $500. You only gain a quart of fuel though. If you need a bigger tank aftermarket is going...
Rmatv has the tank and pump for about $500. You only gain a quart of fuel though. If you need a bigger tank aftermarket is going to be the way to go. I also would like to know if the sx fuel pump fits the xc tank. Xc pump has a sending unit for low fuel level and sx does not. Is anything else actually different about the pumps?
At least on the 22’s the stock SX (MC in my case) fuel pump will not work in an XC tank. The assembly is not long enough to go from one end to the other. Wish I would have checked before I screwed around with it for an hour. On an aftermarket tank they relocate where the assemblies goes in so a stock SX pump will work.
10/19/2022 6:00pm
Spooner wrote:
sam hain wrote:
I've converted a handful of sx bikes to off-road and every time I did I swore I wouldn't do it again.
I always go with the SX for everything, put an XC tank on it and drop a couple of teeth on the rear sprocket. WAY better than having to do suspension, the XC is alway way to soft to go fast, and up to now apparently, they have always had a lower comp head, which sucks. A 6th would be nice for the logging roads we have here, but thats about all I miss.
10/19/2022 6:03pm
XC706 wrote:
wrc777 wrote:
Rmatv has the tank and pump for about $500. You only gain a quart of fuel though. If you need a bigger tank aftermarket is going...
At least on the 22’s the stock SX (MC in my case) fuel pump will not work in an XC tank. The assembly is not long...
At least on the 22’s the stock SX (MC in my case) fuel pump will not work in an XC tank. The assembly is not long enough to go from one end to the other. Wish I would have checked before I screwed around with it for an hour. On an aftermarket tank they relocate where the assemblies goes in so a stock SX pump will work.
On my 21sx I had to buy a 19xc tank. The new bikes are the same as the 4 strokes unfortunately, like you point out, the pumps are different. I was hoping to be able to use the 23sx pump on an xc tank. No dice.
sam hain
10/20/2022 6:30am
Spooner wrote:
sam hain wrote:
I always go with the SX for everything, put an XC tank on it and drop a couple of teeth on the rear sprocket. WAY better...
I always go with the SX for everything, put an XC tank on it and drop a couple of teeth on the rear sprocket. WAY better than having to do suspension, the XC is alway way to soft to go fast, and up to now apparently, they have always had a lower comp head, which sucks. A 6th would be nice for the logging roads we have here, but thats about all I miss.

For strictly racing I somewhat agree with your logic, but IMO casual trail guys or even hard enduro guys would suffer with the SX. Tall first gear makes high climbs a bitch, 19'' rear suffers with traction depending on terrain etc (less sidewall). Resale is also a big factor, where I live you won't sell a converted SX anywhere close to what it would cost to convert it. You could always strip it back to stock and sell it as an MX bike, but who's to say what the market would be on the XC parts you took back off. I mean at the end of the day its one persons opinion over another but for me I won't do it again.
Spooner
10/20/2022 6:17pm
Anyone else having naughty thoughts about the 125xc? I saw one at a shop this week and man I can't stop fantasizing about it haha! Part of me wants to just buy one of those and keeping my current TX300i. I really want to take one for a rip as I think a lot of places I ride and race would be more fun on the little smoker. I don't really care about going as fast as possible, I wasn't to have as much fun as possible.
PatH
Fantasy
1118th
10/21/2022 7:31am
I was hoping this late in the month some of us waiting would be hearing something.....
10/21/2022 7:40am
PatH wrote:
I was hoping this late in the month some of us waiting would be hearing something.....
Got nothing from the dealer either. Originally told September...
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
10/21/2022 10:11am
SX300 is coming soon, I sure wish KTM would release an ETA on them. I’m ready for it now ! 😎
PatH
Fantasy
1118th
10/21/2022 10:37am
langhammx wrote:
SX300 is coming soon, I sure wish KTM would release an ETA on them. I’m ready for it now ! 😎
Last week my dealer said this month, so we shall see.
183Matt
Fantasy
1401st
10/21/2022 11:57am
Spooner wrote:
Anyone else having naughty thoughts about the 125xc? I saw one at a shop this week and man I can't stop fantasizing about it haha! Part...
Anyone else having naughty thoughts about the 125xc? I saw one at a shop this week and man I can't stop fantasizing about it haha! Part of me wants to just buy one of those and keeping my current TX300i. I really want to take one for a rip as I think a lot of places I ride and race would be more fun on the little smoker. I don't really care about going as fast as possible, I wasn't to have as much fun as possible.
No thoughts other than it’s a ripper! I’m 250 dressed to race and that bike hauled me around just fine. I was more impressed with it and the 250sx, than the new 300’s. It seriously felt like a Mountain Bike with an engine on it. The only area I wouldn’t want one is on long power sapping hill climbs, but the majority of the flowy single track, that bike would be awesome.
lumpy790
10/21/2022 12:51pm
Orange and Black are Holloween colors so maybe ........
sandman768
10/21/2022 6:46pm
Which part of the country will get them first?
adamdf
10/22/2022 10:32am
yz763 wrote:
Haha!! He’s a really good friend of mine and has done a few favors for me in the past. They are sponsoring a ride with Jack...
Haha!! He’s a really good friend of mine and has done a few favors for me in the past. They are sponsoring a ride with Jack Penton soon so I figured I would let them have it for the ride. They are getting 2 250xc’s (1 is his and 1 is mine) and a 300xc that hasn’t been spoken for. The other 250 and the 300 should be there any day as he was already invoiced for them. I’m still debating if I should grab that 300.
sam hain wrote:
I just bought the 23 250XC! Dealer is shipping it to me next week. Excited to see how it runs on the moto track and the trails.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
10/23/2022 7:01pm Edited Date/Time 10/23/2022 7:06pm
For the ones who have the new bikes, my XC came with the skid plate installed, but not sure if the dealer had to mount it or if it was installed at KTM ? But the spacers that are used to mount the rear of the skid plate were never installed. There were bolts in the holes that were painted black (with the frame) and no spacers
I removed the black screws and pilfered the spacers from the skid plate I bought for my SX. But I’ll need to get another set to replace them.

Anyone figure out what these washers/ spacers are for ?

These were a pain in the ass to get them to mount correctly. Probably why they were never installed ? Or someone didn’t realize there was still a bolt in the hole and gave up trying to figure it out. I had to put my reading glasses on to see the screw on the hole.
I’d imagine this area might be prone to breaking. Not much material around the shoulder of that spacer.
10/23/2022 7:05pm
I am all the way West in Canada and my dealer was just invoiced for the 300SX coming my way. Two weeks out apparently, guessing someone will have one in their hands soon.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
10/23/2022 8:15pm
I am all the way West in Canada and my dealer was just invoiced for the 300SX coming my way. Two weeks out apparently, guessing someone...
I am all the way West in Canada and my dealer was just invoiced for the 300SX coming my way. Two weeks out apparently, guessing someone will have one in their hands soon.
Great news.
DB97
10/24/2022 1:23am
langhammx wrote:
For the ones who have the new bikes, my XC came with the skid plate installed, but not sure if the dealer had to mount it...
For the ones who have the new bikes, my XC came with the skid plate installed, but not sure if the dealer had to mount it or if it was installed at KTM ? But the spacers that are used to mount the rear of the skid plate were never installed. There were bolts in the holes that were painted black (with the frame) and no spacers
I removed the black screws and pilfered the spacers from the skid plate I bought for my SX. But I’ll need to get another set to replace them.

Anyone figure out what these washers/ spacers are for ?

These were a pain in the ass to get them to mount correctly. Probably why they were never installed ? Or someone didn’t realize there was still a bolt in the hole and gave up trying to figure it out. I had to put my reading glasses on to see the screw on the hole.
I’d imagine this area might be prone to breaking. Not much material around the shoulder of that spacer.
Those spacers are if you want the bar mounts solid mounted.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
10/24/2022 4:16am
DB97 wrote:
Those spacers are if you want the bar mounts solid mounted. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/10/24/574261/s1200_A841C452_B272_4C59_9312_8C250674CD74.jpg[/img]
Those spacers are if you want the bar mounts solid mounted.
Thanks.
mxengineer1
10/24/2022 7:37pm
For all you guys waiting for the 300SX it is going to be worth the wait. I've had my '23 KTM 300XC for a couple of weeks now and have ridden the bike in the woods, tight trails, fire roads, and light Vet (slow!) moto. This all new throttle body fuel injected 300cc engine never stops impressing me. The engine is so powerful and responsive (especially Map 2) yet able to run down to what feels like zero RPM, lug up a hill, and then cleanly rip through the gears including 6th gear 60 mph wheelies. This engine has impressive partial throttle linear torque response and smooth/strong low to mid power. Throttle body fuel injection with an electronically controlled power valve works. Map 1 offers the same big power but a little slower throttle response but I would not call it a mild map. I am running the recommended 60:1 mix with Motorex 2-stroke oil. Free feeling quick revving 2-stroke style power with strong linear 4-stroke like torque in a 2-stroke engine that runs crisp and clean all with no jetting...this is an impressive engine and simply so much FUN to ride! Might get some current 4-stroke riders back to their 2-stroke roots. I tried to capture the bandwidth of this engine (and bike) in the video. You guys are going to love the 300SX and it will be worth the wait....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL5NPXdHbjc

Nelson
10/24/2022 8:15pm
For all you guys waiting for the 300SX it is going to be worth the wait. I've had my '23 KTM 300XC for a couple of...
For all you guys waiting for the 300SX it is going to be worth the wait. I've had my '23 KTM 300XC for a couple of weeks now and have ridden the bike in the woods, tight trails, fire roads, and light Vet (slow!) moto. This all new throttle body fuel injected 300cc engine never stops impressing me. The engine is so powerful and responsive (especially Map 2) yet able to run down to what feels like zero RPM, lug up a hill, and then cleanly rip through the gears including 6th gear 60 mph wheelies. This engine has impressive partial throttle linear torque response and smooth/strong low to mid power. Throttle body fuel injection with an electronically controlled power valve works. Map 1 offers the same big power but a little slower throttle response but I would not call it a mild map. I am running the recommended 60:1 mix with Motorex 2-stroke oil. Free feeling quick revving 2-stroke style power with strong linear 4-stroke like torque in a 2-stroke engine that runs crisp and clean all with no jetting...this is an impressive engine and simply so much FUN to ride! Might get some current 4-stroke riders back to their 2-stroke roots. I tried to capture the bandwidth of this engine (and bike) in the video. You guys are going to love the 300SX and it will be worth the wait....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL5NPXdHbjc

I grew up riding two strokes but in my older “dad bod” at 218lbs a 250 two stroke seems like a light switch nowadays . Seems like anything over 180lbs all the torque is gone on a 250. Is the 300 that much better?
PatH
Fantasy
1118th
10/25/2022 3:24am
Last word I heard is they are pushing into Nov for deliveries, I was really hoping to get mine while the weather was still OK. I am trying to resist the urge, I keep looking at a 350 SXF. I really wanna stick with a 2 stroke though, all the solid engine reviews help that's for sure.
Spooner
10/25/2022 3:12pm
With a little luck this will be following me home soon.

8tensolutions
10/25/2022 5:40pm
Spooner wrote:
With a little luck this will be following me home soon. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/10/25/574464/s1200_898E7790_B760_4834_98DD_16D2A5BC0FD7.jpg[/img]
With a little luck this will be following me home soon.

Are the Husky's updated with the new injection as well? I thought it was KTM only this year

Post a reply to: 2023 KTM SX300 Official Thread

The Latest