2023 KTM SX300 Official Thread

swordfish
11/25/2022 4:52am
mxrider118 wrote:
Has anyone put a KYB conversion in one of these and has riding time to share their thoughts. Need some input on either 6500s, CV's or...
Has anyone put a KYB conversion in one of these and has riding time to share their thoughts.

Need some input on either 6500s, CV's or a KYB conversion.
What do you ride and what is your skill level?
The 6500’s are a great fork insert for most. Tyler Medaglia was running KYB the last couple of seasons and recently switched to 6500’s over KYB and CV’s. He mentioned that the 6500’s give him more front end traction than the KYB’s. He seems pretty happy.
Components are high quality and they seem to be way easier to find a good setting that works for the rider than XACT Pro’s.
FGR01
Fantasy
1334th
11/25/2022 6:48am
sandman768 wrote:
Not stoked with the new seat setup…cover wearing through after 2 rides… seems to be rubbing on the subframe rail… [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/11/23/578100/s1200_7FB08E36_C508_4931_B493_4A87D0EE1A4B.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/11/23/578101/s1200_B3C31E78_3170_46A4_A7C1_BC04F0C1FDEE.jpg[/img]
Not stoked with the new seat setup…cover wearing through after 2 rides… seems to be rubbing on the subframe rail…

Tell me, the seat on these bikes is held on with one bolt that goes into a threaded insert in the tank? Kinda like how rad shrouds are held on to most bikes for eons? If so, seems kinda silly for a bolt that is frequently removed. Having bad nightmares of stuck threads and inserts spinning in the tank.....
Darrin Willis
11/25/2022 7:11am
mxrider118 wrote:
Has anyone put a KYB conversion in one of these and has riding time to share their thoughts. Need some input on either 6500s, CV's or...
Has anyone put a KYB conversion in one of these and has riding time to share their thoughts.

swordfish wrote:
What do you ride and what is your skill level? The 6500’s are a great fork insert for most. Tyler Medaglia was running KYB the last...
The 6500’s are a great fork insert for most. Tyler Medaglia was running KYB the last couple of seasons and recently switched to 6500’s over KYB and CV’s. He mentioned that the 6500’s give him more front end traction than the KYB’s. He seems pretty happy.
Components are high quality and they seem to be way easier to find a good setting that works for the rider than XACT Pro’s.
For moto and offroad?
swordfish
11/25/2022 7:59am Edited Date/Time 11/25/2022 8:00am
mxrider118 wrote:

swordfish wrote:
What do you ride and what is your skill level? The 6500’s are a great fork insert for most. Tyler Medaglia was running KYB the last...
For moto and offroad?
Both. He posted recently about them here in another thread.

The Shop

Bearuno
11/25/2022 8:34am
langhammx wrote:
Agree. It’s the best looking Husky so far, IMO
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say.

I find the grey plastic to be ghastly.

Now, the 'Heritage Models'; they are quite nice :

sandman768
11/25/2022 8:44am
FGR01 wrote:
Tell me, the seat on these bikes is held on with one bolt that goes into a threaded insert in the tank? Kinda like how rad...
Tell me, the seat on these bikes is held on with one bolt that goes into a threaded insert in the tank? Kinda like how rad shrouds are held on to most bikes for eons? If so, seems kinda silly for a bolt that is frequently removed. Having bad nightmares of stuck threads and inserts spinning in the tank.....
Yes, not a very good design IMO….. anti seize on the threads & tighten gently….
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
11/25/2022 9:16am
Bearuno wrote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say. I find the grey plastic to be ghastly. Now, the 'Heritage Models'; they are quite...

They both look good to me, but I was referring to the plastics shape on the new bike. I haven’t been a big fan of the plastics on the Husky bikes.

Graphics and plastics color are a whole different discussion, but I’m not much for white plastics, especially the whole bike… but I’m sure it’s appealing to some.
I change all my plastics to orange on my KTM’s, then keep the graphics very simple. Just what I like, that’s why they make several colors of plastics.
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
11/25/2022 9:19am
sandman768 wrote:
Yes, not a very good design IMO….. anti seize on the threads & tighten gently….
Yeah, I can see people getting carried away with tightening this screw. The seat is plenty secure with the way it mounts, the screw doesn’t need to be overly tight
Bearuno
11/25/2022 10:01am
langhammx wrote:
They both look good to me, but I was referring to the plastics shape on the new bike. I haven’t been a big fan of the...
They both look good to me, but I was referring to the plastics shape on the new bike. I haven’t been a big fan of the plastics on the Husky bikes.

Graphics and plastics color are a whole different discussion, but I’m not much for white plastics, especially the whole bike… but I’m sure it’s appealing to some.
I change all my plastics to orange on my KTM’s, then keep the graphics very simple. Just what I like, that’s why they make several colors of plastics.
You keep the graphics very simple - well, I guess you do compared to so many peoples 'artwork' !

But, flamin' heck / hooly dooly, langhammx , on a brief, far from accurate count I just made, I reckon you've got over 50 brand names / emblems on (each of) those Beautiful bikes. Woohoo And yes, I realize that most are on big, custom made decal panels. Cool

Me, I thought I just had the 5 on my ancient old thing, but No, I realized that there is an Acerbis decal on the front disc guard, and, I have a strip of duct tape on the rear fender to cover my number plate, that's there to place if there are cameras / 'concerned citizens' with mobile phones that think I'm not supposed to be on trails that I've ridden on for more than 5 decades.

As far as I know, everywhere I go is legal, especially with a legit plate, and an as quiet as a grumpy mouse exhaust, but you never know when the rabid greenies have decided to close off an area, from we tax payers, without telling us. It's getting a bit silly in the Blue Mountains - places that have had roads and trails in them, for at least a hundred + years, that never change, well, they are now designating as Wilderness.
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
11/25/2022 10:28am Edited Date/Time 11/25/2022 10:31am
Bearuno wrote:
You keep the graphics very simple - well, I guess you do compared to so many peoples 'artwork' ! But, flamin' heck / hooly dooly, [b]langhammx...
You keep the graphics very simple - well, I guess you do compared to so many peoples 'artwork' !

But, flamin' heck / hooly dooly, langhammx , on a brief, far from accurate count I just made, I reckon you've got over 50 brand names / emblems on (each of) those Beautiful bikes. Woohoo And yes, I realize that most are on big, custom made decal panels. Cool

Me, I thought I just had the 5 on my ancient old thing, but No, I realized that there is an Acerbis decal on the front disc guard, and, I have a strip of duct tape on the rear fender to cover my number plate, that's there to place if there are cameras / 'concerned citizens' with mobile phones that think I'm not supposed to be on trails that I've ridden on for more than 5 decades.

As far as I know, everywhere I go is legal, especially with a legit plate, and an as quiet as a grumpy mouse exhaust, but you never know when the rabid greenies have decided to close off an area, from we tax payers, without telling us. It's getting a bit silly in the Blue Mountains - places that have had roads and trails in them, for at least a hundred + years, that never change, well, they are now designating as Wilderness.
Have a nice day, hopefully you can get out and poach them trails they keep taking away…they are doing the same here, they won’t even register the new bike’s here anymore for public trails.
I’ll be out riding at my property with some of the other 250+ land owners of one of the most diverse terrains we have here in Sunny So California. A few thousand acres of combined land that brings out some of the most accomplished riders/ racers.
The only problem we have is trying to keep the motorcycles off of the PCT (pacific coast trail) that runs through the middle of the area. The ones who don’t own land and think it’s ok to ride there, are trying to ruin it for us all, by doing this ! The PCT is plainly marked with signs to please stay off the hiking trail, but some feel they are above that and ride on them anyways. It’s a problem that requires constant attention from the ones who own land there.

“But, flamin' heck / hooly dooly, langhammx , on a brief, far from accurate count I just made, I reckon you've got over 50 brand names / emblems on (each of) those Beautiful bikes. w00t And yes, I realize that most are on big, custom made decal panels. cool”
~ to each their own bud, it take it you like em plain Jane style. No problem, we are all entitled to dress em up how we please, right ?
1stSSPZ
11/25/2022 11:08am
mxrider118 wrote:
Had anyone tried Sunoco Race Fuel Optima on two strokes 95 octane. More looking for a consistent fuel than our local pump gas.
Exactly what i run in my 2013 250sx and a 2002 YZ250. Amsoil Dominator at 50:1. Amazing!
stonerb
11/25/2022 11:32am
Bearuno wrote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say. I find the grey plastic to be ghastly. Now, the 'Heritage Models'; they are quite...

Can't argue with you about those Heritage Editions. Those are awesome looking. I'm tempted to get those plastics and put them on my regular TC250. Would go nice with the blue frame.
lumpy790
11/25/2022 1:46pm
Bearuno wrote:

stonerb wrote:
Can't argue with you about those Heritage Editions. Those are awesome looking. I'm tempted to get those plastics and put them on my regular TC250. Would...
Can't argue with you about those Heritage Editions. Those are awesome looking. I'm tempted to get those plastics and put them on my regular TC250. Would go nice with the blue frame.
I did a Package deal from Decal Works on plastic and graphics.

sesker15
11/25/2022 11:17pm
Does anyone have info on the 2024 gas gas two stroke line?
Will they have a mc300? Mc125, mc250??
2-slow MX
11/26/2022 2:09pm
2-slow MX wrote:
Just picked my son up the new 125. I'm seeing tons of guys getting their 300's but very few have the 125 yet. Just wondering if...
Just picked my son up the new 125. I'm seeing tons of guys getting their 300's but very few have the 125 yet. Just wondering if anyone is noticing a bog or cutting out at the top of the revs on the bigger bores? Obviously they're not revved out quite as much as the 125's but worth asking.

The 125 is awesome in every way except it cuts out bad at the top of the rev range (to a point it's unsafe to hit jumps). Seemed like a powervalve issue at first. All the way from idle thru mid range it sounds great, then right as you should be getting into the powerband she just signs off and starts sputtering. Tried to reset the powervalve limits using the little "wake up" tool that came with it. That seemed to clean it up a tad but it's still there.

Have a call in to KTM already but was just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like it on the new bikes.
Mike1611 wrote:
So what you a describing is identical to what my young boy is experiencing on his tc125. He would go into a whoop section at a...
So what you a describing is identical to what my young boy is experiencing on his tc125. He would go into a whoop section at a local track and just as he'd get into the second hit the bike bogged/cut bad on him. He said it was worse on the green map(I'm still not sure which is lean and which is rich map). I got on the bike and after I was able to be aggressive on the throttle in a fast section of the track I felt it to. I tried switching the gas to 25percent vp race gas and still the same. Did the TPS sensor end up working for you? Thanks
Sorry for the delay. Been at Mini O's all week with no internet.

KTM was positive that it was the TPS. I took it to the dealer and they hooked it up to the computer and using the idle adjustment knob and fast idle button/knob they set it to where "it was supposed to be". This was at the direction of KTM. It didn't do anything... They told me NOT to adjust the actual TPS.

This was probably a dumb idea but i was tired of waiting around and our dealer is like 2 hours away - I wanted to adjust the damn TPS but didn't have the pigtail connector to set it by voltage. So i just sat and ever so slightly adjusted it until it ran right. Revs out fine now. I want to get a connector to check the voltage and get it perfect because every once in a while it will have a slight bog but it's much better now.

Havent messed with it in a week or 2 now b/c we were at Mini O's racing other bikes and took the suspension off to get done a few days before leaving.

PatH
Fantasy
1177th
11/26/2022 7:04pm
I put about 1hr on mine today riding a muddy MX track, I love the power. It pulls out of deep muddy ruts great and long uphills that were muddy were nothing for it.
Mike1611
11/27/2022 1:27pm Edited Date/Time 11/27/2022 2:10pm
2-slow MX wrote:
Just picked my son up the new 125. I'm seeing tons of guys getting their 300's but very few have the 125 yet. Just wondering if...
Just picked my son up the new 125. I'm seeing tons of guys getting their 300's but very few have the 125 yet. Just wondering if anyone is noticing a bog or cutting out at the top of the revs on the bigger bores? Obviously they're not revved out quite as much as the 125's but worth asking.

The 125 is awesome in every way except it cuts out bad at the top of the rev range (to a point it's unsafe to hit jumps). Seemed like a powervalve issue at first. All the way from idle thru mid range it sounds great, then right as you should be getting into the powerband she just signs off and starts sputtering. Tried to reset the powervalve limits using the little "wake up" tool that came with it. That seemed to clean it up a tad but it's still there.

Have a call in to KTM already but was just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like it on the new bikes.
Mike1611 wrote:
So what you a describing is identical to what my young boy is experiencing on his tc125. He would go into a whoop section at a...
So what you a describing is identical to what my young boy is experiencing on his tc125. He would go into a whoop section at a local track and just as he'd get into the second hit the bike bogged/cut bad on him. He said it was worse on the green map(I'm still not sure which is lean and which is rich map). I got on the bike and after I was able to be aggressive on the throttle in a fast section of the track I felt it to. I tried switching the gas to 25percent vp race gas and still the same. Did the TPS sensor end up working for you? Thanks
2-slow MX wrote:
Sorry for the delay. Been at Mini O's all week with no internet. KTM was positive that it was the TPS. I took it to the...
Sorry for the delay. Been at Mini O's all week with no internet.

KTM was positive that it was the TPS. I took it to the dealer and they hooked it up to the computer and using the idle adjustment knob and fast idle button/knob they set it to where "it was supposed to be". This was at the direction of KTM. It didn't do anything... They told me NOT to adjust the actual TPS.

This was probably a dumb idea but i was tired of waiting around and our dealer is like 2 hours away - I wanted to adjust the damn TPS but didn't have the pigtail connector to set it by voltage. So i just sat and ever so slightly adjusted it until it ran right. Revs out fine now. I want to get a connector to check the voltage and get it perfect because every once in a while it will have a slight bog but it's much better now.

Havent messed with it in a week or 2 now b/c we were at Mini O's racing other bikes and took the suspension off to get done a few days before leaving.

No problem for the delay. I've been live streaming the mini os when I can, I bet being there was wicked!

I have seen some of the videos kicking around on Youtube about adjusting the TPS and it has been somewhat conflicting. Some say you can richen and lean out across the throttle range by changing the initial voltage and some say it only affects throttle just off idle. It would make sense to me that the whole throttle range has been affected with the move of the TPS but I'm no expert. There does seem to be an nice meter you can buy(TPSTool.com) to help with this.

It's winter now where I'm at so the bike is holed up for the season but might as well give it a shot. Thanks for the update on your situation and if anything improves on your end I'd love to hear about it. Don't want to see my kid get wadded up (or anyone's) out on the track because the bike cuts
MH434
11/28/2022 5:07am
HGS out with a pipe/silencer for the 23 125,250 and 300. Different pipe design than the FMF..

11/28/2022 5:27am
MH434 wrote:
HGS out with a pipe/silencer for the 23 125,250 and 300. Different pipe design than the FMF.. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/11/28/578647/s1200_B94C572C_6D41_49F2_9944_2452A85AABC4.jpg[/img]
HGS out with a pipe/silencer for the 23 125,250 and 300. Different pipe design than the FMF..

wonder how they compare to the fmf and where can they be purchased in Canada.
sandman768
11/28/2022 5:44am
300SX…I think they have done a very good job with the stock pipe & silencer. Have to ask yourself…are you a lugger/ short shifter or Rev kind of rider. If I were riding Enduros/ GNCC, I would get the FMF gnarly… MX rider, would be the FMF Fatty…I would be hesitant to buy a pipe for this bike without seeing dyno charts, KTM is known for making very good performing stock pipes….
MH434
11/28/2022 5:53am
mxrider118 wrote:
wonder how they compare to the fmf and where can they be purchased in Canada.
My guess is that the HGS will be more top-end pipe, but i’m sure others here can tell a bit more just by looking how they are shaped differently.
11/28/2022 6:00am
sandman768 wrote:
300SX…I think they have done a very good job with the stock pipe & silencer. Have to ask yourself…are you a lugger/ short shifter or Rev...
300SX…I think they have done a very good job with the stock pipe & silencer. Have to ask yourself…are you a lugger/ short shifter or Rev kind of rider. If I were riding Enduros/ GNCC, I would get the FMF gnarly… MX rider, would be the FMF Fatty…I would be hesitant to buy a pipe for this bike without seeing dyno charts, KTM is known for making very good performing stock pipes….
I had two hours on the stock setup and was very impressed. Did one ride on the fatty and 2.1 silencer and did notice a little more mid-top and a nicer sound is for sure.

Winter is here so more testing to come..
PatH
Fantasy
1177th
11/28/2022 6:07am
Does anyone have any sound clips of the FMF ti 2.1 on their 300?
11/28/2022 6:25am
PatH wrote:
Does anyone have any sound clips of the FMF ti 2.1 on their 300?
I can try and get one
sandman768
11/28/2022 6:29am
mxrider118 wrote:
I had two hours on the stock setup and was very impressed. Did one ride on the fatty and 2.1 silencer and did notice a little...
I had two hours on the stock setup and was very impressed. Did one ride on the fatty and 2.1 silencer and did notice a little more mid-top and a nicer sound is for sure.

Winter is here so more testing to come..
Stock system does a good job of bridging the gap for good o/all power spread… definitely need a spare pipe on a 2T…For years the KTM”s came with long silencer’s… and everyone put shorter ones on… now they come with a shorter silencer & everyone going with a longer one…..go figure?
wrc777
Fantasy
1130th
11/28/2022 7:13am
The biggest problem with the stock ktm 2t pipes and silencers isn’t the performance, it is the price when you have to replace them. I don’t know why oem exhausts cost as much or more than aftermarket. 4 strokes are the same way and before anyone jumps all over ktm for high parts prices check out what Honda charges for a 4t muffler.
Ob917
11/28/2022 8:09am
FMF fatty with 2.1 shorty does for sure make more power, it’s a noticeable change.
MH434
11/28/2022 8:36am
I’m waiting for PPS to come out with theirs, bike should scream

Spooner
12/4/2022 7:28am

Finally brought my TX300 home-you guys with the XC models-did they come with o-ring chains?  I noticed mine didn't which is strange because my '20 did.  

Gonna start tearing into it today to grease the chassis and I'll have a pile of parts on the way this week too.  Hoping we get some good weather soon to go break it in. 

Post a reply to: 2023 KTM SX300 Official Thread

The Latest