2023 KTM 300 SX vs XC Price difference

wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
5/11/2022 4:13pm
langhammx wrote:
Not sure how much trail riding you do, but riding a MX bike isn’t ideal. The two disciplines require totally different suspension set ups to be...
Not sure how much trail riding you do, but riding a MX bike isn’t ideal. The two disciplines require totally different suspension set ups to be ridden to their potential. Soft settings at the track is dangerous and stiff (MX) settings will deflect and wear you out on the OffRoad riding and can also be dangerous.
Not that either bike can’t be set up for desired terrain, but I’d rather buy the bike designed for the riding I intend to ride with it.

5-speed, versus 6-speed is another thing to be considered as well.

Of course this is my opinion and if I could only afford to own one bike for both I’d have to decide which one to buy. I’d lean towards the SX and suffer a bit with stiff suspension.
Come on this is the most over-dramatic comment I’ve ever seen lol. I’ve literally ridden every second of off-road on an MX bike and don’t feel...
Come on this is the most over-dramatic comment I’ve ever seen lol. I’ve literally ridden every second of off-road on an MX bike and don’t feel the need for the XC or XCW lines.

Off Road suspension is perfectly safe to ride on Moto, you’re not gonna die because the springs are too soft, it’s just less than ideal
Ktm even uses the same rear spring. Even the companies that change springs only go down one rate at most. Aj Catanzaro hits big jumps on enduro bikes on his YouTube channel.
Jake_CR250R
5/11/2022 4:33pm
langhammx wrote:
Not sure how much trail riding you do, but riding a MX bike isn’t ideal. The two disciplines require totally different suspension set ups to be...
Not sure how much trail riding you do, but riding a MX bike isn’t ideal. The two disciplines require totally different suspension set ups to be ridden to their potential. Soft settings at the track is dangerous and stiff (MX) settings will deflect and wear you out on the OffRoad riding and can also be dangerous.
Not that either bike can’t be set up for desired terrain, but I’d rather buy the bike designed for the riding I intend to ride with it.

5-speed, versus 6-speed is another thing to be considered as well.

Of course this is my opinion and if I could only afford to own one bike for both I’d have to decide which one to buy. I’d lean towards the SX and suffer a bit with stiff suspension.
Come on this is the most over-dramatic comment I’ve ever seen lol. I’ve literally ridden every second of off-road on an MX bike and don’t feel...
Come on this is the most over-dramatic comment I’ve ever seen lol. I’ve literally ridden every second of off-road on an MX bike and don’t feel the need for the XC or XCW lines.

Off Road suspension is perfectly safe to ride on Moto, you’re not gonna die because the springs are too soft, it’s just less than ideal
wrc777 wrote:
Ktm even uses the same rear spring. Even the companies that change springs only go down one rate at most. Aj Catanzaro hits big jumps on...
Ktm even uses the same rear spring. Even the companies that change springs only go down one rate at most. Aj Catanzaro hits big jumps on enduro bikes on his YouTube channel.
I have to agree more with this. It might not be ideal, but it will work just fine. I know people who top 30 overall a GNCC and ride moto on the exact same bike and setup.
BikePilot
5/11/2022 4:36pm
I've raced mx bikes off road quite a lot. For my purposes and geography the 6spd and 18" rear are critical on a 300. Swapping wheels is easy. Adding a gear to tj transmission seems like a lot of work. I'd just buy the XC.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
5/12/2022 7:45am Edited Date/Time 5/12/2022 7:50am

Lol
Over dramatic ?
I don’t remember saying anyone was going to die with soft suspension. That sounds pretty dramatic for sure.

I have friends that ride both and have a Worcs type of set up and play with their clickers to help. But they all say they sacrifice the best setup for both disciplines owning one bike and messing with clickers.

To be clear, I’m not talking about wide open OffRoad riding across the desert on my 300, I have a 500 for that. Im talking about tight woods/ technical rocky terrain. Slow pace 2nd and 3rd gear stuff. Motocross suspension isn’t very fun

The Shop

WDSRCR
5/12/2022 8:06am
The 6th gear is worth the entire price difference to me. I'm not wringing the bike out in 6th but on a transfer where I am going over 45mph in a field, dirt road or pavement, I can cruise at half throttle in 6th versus being right in the meat of the rev range in 5th on an MX trans.

It's exactly why I sold my Kawasaki KX250X to go back to the XC 2stroke of a KTM. The KX would do 68mph (GPS'ed) but it's screaming near the revlimiter to be there. I would click into 5th at 35mph on the KX at a reasonable RPM range. Much more than 40 and it was starting to scream. I also had a 450X and it would do over 80mph when running wide open but anything over about 40 and it was starting to scream and was uncomfortable to cruise on.

I also would get pulled across field sections by 350XCFs at races when on the 450. The 250 stood no chance. If I made up 6-8 seconds on someone in a woods section and lose 20 in a field, I was in a losing position no matter what.

My 2022 250XC will cruise at 45-55mph all day long in 6th. I will stick with the XC trans.
swordfish
5/12/2022 8:12am

langhammx wrote:
Lol Over dramatic ? I don’t remember saying anyone was going to die with soft suspension. That sounds pretty dramatic for sure. I have friends that...
Lol
Over dramatic ?
I don’t remember saying anyone was going to die with soft suspension. That sounds pretty dramatic for sure.

I have friends that ride both and have a Worcs type of set up and play with their clickers to help. But they all say they sacrifice the best setup for both disciplines owning one bike and messing with clickers.

To be clear, I’m not talking about wide open OffRoad riding across the desert on my 300, I have a 500 for that. Im talking about tight woods/ technical rocky terrain. Slow pace 2nd and 3rd gear stuff. Motocross suspension isn’t very fun
Who leaves their shit stock anyway? My 21 TX forks were garbage for anything other than a smooth MX or GP track, certainly not for what I ride. If I was buying now I would pick up a 300SX, spend the extra $2k in savings on spring inserts and other assorted crap.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
5/12/2022 8:49am
swordfish wrote:
Who leaves their shit stock anyway? My 21 TX forks were garbage for anything other than a smooth MX or GP track, certainly not for what...
Who leaves their shit stock anyway? My 21 TX forks were garbage for anything other than a smooth MX or GP track, certainly not for what I ride. If I was buying now I would pick up a 300SX, spend the extra $2k in savings on spring inserts and other assorted crap.
Yeah, I’m not one to ride on stock suspension either, but lots of people do apparently.
There’s no doubt that the SX300 with a revalve/ re-spring would be a great bike in any condition. But it will be a better Mx bike than a bike to ride in the woods or technical single track.

I’m going to stop responding to this thread, it seems that it’ll never end with the different opinions and nobody is wrong here, but I’d rather start with the bike that was designed to ride in the terrain it was intended for. I’m honestly not concerned on the price difference between the two bikes.
swordfish
5/12/2022 8:59am
swordfish wrote:
Who leaves their shit stock anyway? My 21 TX forks were garbage for anything other than a smooth MX or GP track, certainly not for what...
langhammx wrote:
Yeah, I’m not one to ride on stock suspension either, but lots of people do apparently. There’s no doubt that the SX300 with a revalve/ re-spring...
Yeah, I’m not one to ride on stock suspension either, but lots of people do apparently.
There’s no doubt that the SX300 with a revalve/ re-spring would be a great bike in any condition. But it will be a better Mx bike than a bike to ride in the woods or technical single track.

I’m going to stop responding to this thread, it seems that it’ll never end with the different opinions and nobody is wrong here, but I’d rather start with the bike that was designed to ride in the terrain it was intended for. I’m honestly not concerned on the price difference between the two bikes.
That $2k is a whole lot of gas for my pick up these days at $7.50 a gallon. I hear you man, I get the $2k difference for my 21 with TPi, E start, etc but people have to be asking that question to their dealers. Maybe they just want to sell a lot of 300SX’s. Imm my really curious how different the mapping and EPV programming is.
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
5/12/2022 9:11am
$9200 is the same as the beta 300rx which I believe is also electric start.
Leeham
Fantasy
3084th
5/12/2022 11:38am
I would rather have faster woods racing (hare scramble) suspension on a MX track over MX suspension in the woods. Beats the shit out of you. Ive done 20-50mi rides on MX suspension and felt like I went a round or two with Mike Tyson and my body is dead. However riding my brothers 19 YZ250F setup for an A woods rider wasn't ideal by any means but more than capable. And when I rode it in the woods. I was blown away at how good it was on rocks and roots.
PabstBR11
5/12/2022 12:45pm
swordfish wrote:
langhammx wrote:
Yeah, I’m not one to ride on stock suspension either, but lots of people do apparently. There’s no doubt that the SX300 with a revalve/ re-spring...

I agree with you, How someone spends there money is up to them but if i am riding mostly single track/woods, im not buying the SX. Not even close for me. Also as someone said, your not going to die, but its not going to be nearly as comfortable. I try to use the right tool for the right job when i can.
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
5/12/2022 1:30pm
swordfish wrote:
langhammx wrote:

PabstBR11 wrote:
I agree with you, How someone spends there money is up to them but if i am riding mostly single track/woods, im not buying the SX...
I agree with you, How someone spends there money is up to them but if i am riding mostly single track/woods, im not buying the SX. Not even close for me. Also as someone said, your not going to die, but its not going to be nearly as comfortable. I try to use the right tool for the right job when i can.
You can buy the sx and have it setup better than the xc and still have less money in it. You can get perfect suspension for you then.
swordfish
5/12/2022 2:25pm
langhammx wrote:

PabstBR11 wrote:
I agree with you, How someone spends there money is up to them but if i am riding mostly single track/woods, im not buying the SX...
wrc777 wrote:
You can buy the sx and have it setup better than the xc and still have less money in it. You can get perfect suspension for...
You can buy the sx and have it setup better than the xc and still have less money in it. You can get perfect suspension for you then.
Yep. I’m getting the impression the XC is just an SX with an 18 rear wheel, kick stand and 6 speed. We are not comparing an XCW to an SX here. Mapping is easy, $225 and get what you want. Few hundred bucks for a revalve.
dcg141
5/12/2022 2:52pm Edited Date/Time 5/12/2022 3:03pm
PabstBR11 wrote:
wrc777 wrote:
You can buy the sx and have it setup better than the xc and still have less money in it. You can get perfect suspension for...
swordfish wrote:
Yep. I’m getting the impression the XC is just an SX with an 18 rear wheel, kick stand and 6 speed. We are not comparing an...
Yep. I’m getting the impression the XC is just an SX with an 18 rear wheel, kick stand and 6 speed. We are not comparing an XCW to an SX here. Mapping is easy, $225 and get what you want. Few hundred bucks for a revalve.
So usually the SX and XC cranks are different. Riding them back to back and engine characteristics are significantly different. Currently its hard to do a comparison since one is TPI and the other carbed. TPI did tend to smooth things out and make things more four stroke like. Its going to be be interesting to see how both are setup. I will get to ride them I think in July. The 4 stroke engines are the same with a six speed. I rode the 350 XCF for a long time but switched to the 250 last year. The 350 is awesome at the track and doing GNCC style off road but it flames out easy in slower technical terrain.
swordfish
5/12/2022 3:13pm
wrc777 wrote:
swordfish wrote:
Yep. I’m getting the impression the XC is just an SX with an 18 rear wheel, kick stand and 6 speed. We are not comparing an...
dcg141 wrote:
So usually the SX and XC cranks are different. Riding them back to back and engine characteristics are significantly different. Currently its hard to do a...
So usually the SX and XC cranks are different. Riding them back to back and engine characteristics are significantly different. Currently its hard to do a comparison since one is TPI and the other carbed. TPI did tend to smooth things out and make things more four stroke like. Its going to be be interesting to see how both are setup. I will get to ride them I think in July. The 4 stroke engines are the same with a six speed. I rode the 350 XCF for a long time but switched to the 250 last year. The 350 is awesome at the track and doing GNCC style off road but it flames out easy in slower technical terrain.
350 is a different animal with a remap/Vortex, etc.
ktmdan
5/12/2022 6:29pm
swordfish wrote:
langhammx wrote:

I've won plenty of races in the A/Expert class on stock suspension. No way I could ever justify paying 2K for suspension.
agn5008
Fantasy
317th
5/12/2022 7:05pm
PabstBR11 wrote:
wrc777 wrote:
swordfish wrote:
I think you’d be shocked how different the gearing will be between the SX and XC. The XC is kind of a do it all bike. It will be totally fine on a MX track (not as good as the SX though) and the SX would be totally fine on a typical HS track like a GNCC or something. The XC will be leap and bounds better in the difficult, Rocky, nasty, hard terrain. I’m talking hard enduro type of riding. You won’t want the SX for that kind of stuff. I guess my point is there will be more differences than just the rear tire size, kick stand and a 6th gear. I’m willing to bet there will be a very considerable difference with the first 2-3 gears between the two with a smaller difference between 4-5.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
5/12/2022 7:16pm

langhammx wrote:
Lol Over dramatic ? I don’t remember saying anyone was going to die with soft suspension. That sounds pretty dramatic for sure. I have friends that...
Lol
Over dramatic ?

swordfish wrote:
People who can’t afford to spend $800-$1000 to get their suspension done. It’s not ideal by any means, but we make due with what we have.
Toby259
5/13/2022 4:29am
one of my riding buddies is on a 22 250SX and rides off-road on stock suspension. The newest SX stuff from WP isn't as bad as it was a couple years ago, it seems much more compliant and is totally rideable. Of course it's not ideal in slow rocky extreme stuff
swordfish
5/13/2022 5:09am
wrc777 wrote:
swordfish wrote:
agn5008 wrote:
I think you’d be shocked how different the gearing will be between the SX and XC. The XC is kind of a do it all bike...
I think you’d be shocked how different the gearing will be between the SX and XC. The XC is kind of a do it all bike. It will be totally fine on a MX track (not as good as the SX though) and the SX would be totally fine on a typical HS track like a GNCC or something. The XC will be leap and bounds better in the difficult, Rocky, nasty, hard terrain. I’m talking hard enduro type of riding. You won’t want the SX for that kind of stuff. I guess my point is there will be more differences than just the rear tire size, kick stand and a 6th gear. I’m willing to bet there will be a very considerable difference with the first 2-3 gears between the two with a smaller difference between 4-5.
Not shocked. Lots of time on both bikes. I own a TX. I ride rocks. I don’t mind the 5spd offroad. We don’t know yet what the differences are on the TX. I guess only then can we decide if it’s worth $2k.

wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
5/13/2022 5:22am
Toby259 wrote:
one of my riding buddies is on a 22 250SX and rides off-road on stock suspension. The newest SX stuff from WP isn't as bad as...
one of my riding buddies is on a 22 250SX and rides off-road on stock suspension. The newest SX stuff from WP isn't as bad as it was a couple years ago, it seems much more compliant and is totally rideable. Of course it's not ideal in slow rocky extreme stuff
I will say stock ktm mx suspension is way better off-road than stock Honda crf250r suspension. The ktm is way better in sand too somehow.
captmoto
5/13/2022 1:36pm
scott_nz wrote:
I think your 6th gear is a bit undervalued but you have a fair point none the less
A couple years ago a 6th gear update for a an FC450 was a little over $200 with parts from Rocky Mountain.
GNR
12/6/2022 3:16am

Is there anything to suggest the top ends are different? If driven the same way, would an SX require rebuilds more often than an XC?

I’ve read there may be a difference in the clutches - do the SX models grab faster?

Are the flywheels weighted differently?

thanks!

Post a reply to: 2023 KTM 300 SX vs XC Price difference

The Latest