2022 bike rumors

DB505
4/14/2021 2:51pm
350's are becoming the new 450's for vets and play riders...there's not just a couple dudes who want them. They are becoming more powerful each year...
350's are becoming the new 450's for vets and play riders...there's not just a couple dudes who want them. They are becoming more powerful each year and all the vets realize 450's are just too much.
RMT wrote:
Question, now that bikes are starting to come with programable mapping, would you care if it was still a 450 and you had the ability to...
Question, now that bikes are starting to come with programable mapping, would you care if it was still a 450 and you had the ability to just hit a button and change the map making the bike behave just like a 350? Or even a 250F if that's what you wanted it to be?
They can be tuned down! But you can’t do anything about the weight feel of all the rotating mass
Timo
4/14/2021 2:51pm
RMT wrote:
Question, now that bikes are starting to come with programable mapping, would you care if it was still a 450 and you had the ability to...
Question, now that bikes are starting to come with programable mapping, would you care if it was still a 450 and you had the ability to just hit a button and change the map making the bike behave just like a 350? Or even a 250F if that's what you wanted it to be?
soggy wrote:
You could never achieve that just because of the rotational weight of the 450 engine. It will never feel as light and nimble as the 250...
You could never achieve that just because of the rotational weight of the 450 engine. It will never feel as light and nimble as the 250. Maybe once electric gets developed things like that would be achievable
I was interested in a 350, then I bought my 450FX. You would be surprised how much different it can feel with just timing changes. The torque of a 450 makes an awesome trail bike!
mx510
Fantasy
1744th
4/14/2021 3:14pm
DB505 wrote:
I sure wish one of the big4 ( jap bikes) would release a 350, they’ll sell the shit out of them
Titan1 wrote:
I'd be all over a YZ350FX...I'd be at the nearest dealer to put down a deposit on the day they are announced. I wouldn't be surprised...
I'd be all over a YZ350FX...I'd be at the nearest dealer to put down a deposit on the day they are announced. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a line getting in the door of guys trying to do the same thing.

I would definitely consider one as I already have a 2019 KTM 350, but I would love to have another option and I do like Yamahas.
RMT
4/14/2021 3:15pm
DB505 wrote:
They can be tuned down! But you can’t do anything about the weight feel of all the rotating mass
I think you would be surprised.

The Shop

PTshox
4/14/2021 3:28pm
PTshox wrote:
This world wide data for bike sales or US only? Or??
RMT wrote:
Good ole USA but the numbers pretty much are the same with some exceptions in other parts of the world. Anecdotally you might see more orange...
Good ole USA but the numbers pretty much are the same with some exceptions in other parts of the world. Anecdotally you might see more orange, blue, green or red at your local track in certain cc sizes for many reasons, but the numbers replicate across the globe pretty consistently. I will say that the numbers from other places are not as easy to compile and compare as they don't break them down like we see from the MIC but you can get the gist from digging deep enough.
I'm after total world wide sales volume of KTM's 350 platforms (all of them). That indicates addressable market.
duboiz
4/14/2021 3:40pm
Anyways.... any 2022 rumors?
MudPup545
4/14/2021 3:50pm
duboiz wrote:
Yamaha is going back to the yellow and black color scheme. This is not a rumor that I’ve heard about but, one that I am starting.
duboiz
4/14/2021 4:31pm
duboiz wrote:
MudPup545 wrote:
Yamaha is going back to the yellow and black color scheme. This is not a rumor that I’ve heard about but, one that I am starting.
Me and my profile pic like your rumor
RMT
4/14/2021 4:36pm
PTshox wrote:
I'm after total world wide sales volume of KTM's 350 platforms (all of them). That indicates addressable market.
If they sold 24,000 worldwide would you be able to judge if its going to be profitable? I made that number up but my point is that you would really have to be on the OEM side of the business to know the answer and it would be different for each one. Its not that easy to say that if you sold 20,000 of something, the bike would be profitable. And then sometimes profit isn't even the primary driver of a certain bike. Some are break even or worse but are still produced for several reasons that only make sense in the boardroom with a 10 year down the road perspective. Youth bikes and quads are a good example of that, especially the ones manufactured in Japan.

Back to the original question, I think you will see most new bikes announced a little later this year due to supply/production/shipping delays. The OEM's want to announce a bike and start delivery soon after to strike while the excitement is high. You wouldn't want to announce a new bike and then drive customers to a dealer to find nothing to buy. With our short attention spans and the I want it now daddy attitude most people with money in their hands have, you would just be selling bikes for the competitors if just announced bike was not there to purchase. The bikes were pretty much set a few years back so what was decided then should still be in the works with a tweak here and there.

deanwhite51
Fantasy
2582nd
4/14/2021 5:02pm
surprised no one has mentioned the already rumor of Yamaha and the new YZ125. There was a forum on it not long ago about the inside scoop of the talks in Europe.
hbdesigns913
4/14/2021 5:16pm
Also, when you have a 250f as powerful as Yamaha, why do you need a 350
If you’re under 180-190lbs and haven’t ridden a new Yamaha 250f you need to. I will never buy another 450
JBecker 72
4/14/2021 5:32pm
RMT wrote:
Ok Yamaha, there are at least 2 dudes on Vital that want a 350cc bike, one moto and one off-road. Get to it. Conversations like this...
Ok Yamaha, there are at least 2 dudes on Vital that want a 350cc bike, one moto and one off-road. Get to it.

Conversations like this remind me of talking to a guy that wanted to start a dealership. He said he had at least 10 family and friends lined up to buy some bikes, quads and SxS's the day he opened. I told him great, but who is going to come in the second day and buy 10 more and twice that on Saturday? Dead in the water.
I would have bought a YZ350F in a heart beat. Instead I bought a 21 YZ250F. My buddy has a Husky FC350 and I was strongly considering going that route. But after a technical touch KYB swap the bike would be over $12k vs $8k on the YZ. After riding both the same day on multiple tracks, I love that bike. I just wish it had the Kayaba fork my YZ250F does. But the 350 motor was so impressive and smooth.

cwel11
4/14/2021 6:12pm Edited Date/Time 4/14/2021 6:12pm
Admittedly I’m biased as I’ve got a 21 FC350, but man they’re such a great bike. I’ve had multiple 450s, and 250 smokers (rode an older generation Yamaha 250f on a blu cry ride day) and the 350 is the sweet spot (for me anyway) of power. Yes I’m a vet. No I’m not overweight. And my bike sees gate drops. I kind of understand the Jap companies not diving in headfirst to the 350 market, but really other than designing a 350 motor, how much extra BS would be involved?
Hcallz5
4/14/2021 6:26pm
All I care about is 22' 250fx should get the 21' 250f changes. Hopefully I can swing one with having just bought a house.
JoeWV
4/14/2021 6:29pm
Any of you 350 guys tried the Honda/Redmoto 300 kit? Pro/cons vs the 350?
Titan1
4/14/2021 6:36pm
If you’re under 180-190lbs and haven’t ridden a new Yamaha 250f you need to. I will never buy another 450
I’m about 185...race vet A in the desert (hare and hounds and hare scrambles....with a few GP’s and a few enduros every now and then)...my only hesitation on the 250FX is top end speed and low end torque...

I don’t modify my bikes (outside of spark arrestor, some armor, radiator fan)...I run stock gearing, stock suspension (which is why I keep buying Yamaha’s)...do you think the 21 YZ250FX has enough top end without giving up enough low end torque to still be manageable in the slow/techny stuff (right now I’m on a 21 YZ450FX...and the lower tuner app is what I’ll use in the techy stuff to take away the 450 hit, and 2nd gear is almost cheating on this bike when traction is at a premium...but it doesn’t eliminate the rotating mass of the motor)...I just want to race what I buy.
hbdesigns913
4/14/2021 6:49pm
I can’t speak for the fx but my 2021 f probably doesn’t have the over rev you’re looking for. The bike feels very similar to a 450 on low and midrange but the top end is nothing like a 450. I’m 155lbs and ride mx only.
TeamGreen
4/14/2021 6:50pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Ask Kurt Nicoll
xrmark wrote:
Why bring it up if you’re just going to say ask Kurt Nicoll ?? We all get it you have in’s in the industry. spill the...
Why bring it up if you’re just going to say ask Kurt Nicoll ?? We all get it you have in’s in the industry. spill the beans quit bein that guy.
RMT wrote:
Because he doesn't know shit.
Wow. Act like you’re Butt Hurt, much? You both might need to step off the bitch-box & get yourselves a Snickers Grinning

I said “very interesting”...that’s all.
Any-hoo...
I -have not- seen a radically different 450 motor. There are new electronics and features for the tech minded. Like you’ve seen in the current FE.
Frame: Changes to the shapes of the cast/forged frame pieces and tubing. Motor mount orientation is changed (different stiffness/flex attributes). The swing-arm pivot area of the frame is entirely different shape-wise (the forgings/castings I mentioned).
Shock: it’s HUGE(body/res). It’s not air. It looks like you can actually adjust the new huge compression adjuster by hand while your on the bike (big wing-nut looking adjuster where the Hi-Speed currently is). Forks appeared to be a lot like what were currently getting.

As others have said, they hide the bike behind current bodywork.
Johnny Depp
4/14/2021 8:40pm
350's are becoming the new 450's for vets and play riders...there's not just a couple dudes who want them. They are becoming more powerful each year...
350's are becoming the new 450's for vets and play riders...there's not just a couple dudes who want them. They are becoming more powerful each year and all the vets realize 450's are just too much.
RMT wrote:
DB505 wrote:
Slow bikes always feel like they turn better.
Johnny Depp
4/14/2021 9:43pm
surprised no one has mentioned the already rumor of Yamaha and the new YZ125. There was a forum on it not long ago about the inside...
surprised no one has mentioned the already rumor of Yamaha and the new YZ125. There was a forum on it not long ago about the inside scoop of the talks in Europe.
Fantic decided to buy his engines supplier , Minarelli Motors , from Yamaha .

The company will still manufacture engines and parts for Yamaha Europe with new assembly lines supplied by Bosch , but a new factory has been built to supply fully assembled Fantic offroad bikes ( 50 , 125 2s and 4s , 250 4s all Euro 5 approved ) on 2 lines , 4 lines for Fantic electric vehicles , and R&D department for factory riders . Minarelli continues also to supply to other companies , like Beta and Sherco , TUV approved homologation services for bikes ( emissions and all the other stuff ) , Fantic CEO wants slowly to stop buying engines from Yamaha and build everything in-house for their offroad models ( XC and XE ) , the target is to bring back Fantic to the 'golden age' when almost everything was made in Italy . They calculated a growth of +40% in a couple of years for Minarelli-Fantic business .

Fantic now is based in Italy with italian CEO , management , engineers and employees but owned by a chinese company .
gpracer4224
4/14/2021 9:46pm
Titan1 wrote:
I’m about 185...race vet A in the desert (hare and hounds and hare scrambles....with a few GP’s and a few enduros every now and then)...my only...
I’m about 185...race vet A in the desert (hare and hounds and hare scrambles....with a few GP’s and a few enduros every now and then)...my only hesitation on the 250FX is top end speed and low end torque...

I don’t modify my bikes (outside of spark arrestor, some armor, radiator fan)...I run stock gearing, stock suspension (which is why I keep buying Yamaha’s)...do you think the 21 YZ250FX has enough top end without giving up enough low end torque to still be manageable in the slow/techny stuff (right now I’m on a 21 YZ450FX...and the lower tuner app is what I’ll use in the techy stuff to take away the 450 hit, and 2nd gear is almost cheating on this bike when traction is at a premium...but it doesn’t eliminate the rotating mass of the motor)...I just want to race what I buy.
I raced a 250FX at a couple Hare & Hounds earlier this year and I'm blown away at how good it is in the desert. Other than a tank, suspension, handlebars, and mousses, it was all stock and I didn't feel like it needed anything else (maybe a sparky to be 100% legal). I used a moto/high revving map on Map 1 for the high-speed stuff then would switch over to Map 2 and a torquey map for the slow speed stuff and it worked flawlessly. I haven't really spent time on a Yami 450 off-road, but the 250FX is a really good all-around bike
4/14/2021 10:07pm
Yamaha is really stupid for not making a 350. If they slimmed up the blue pig with an all new YZF350 it would be my next...
Yamaha is really stupid for not making a 350. If they slimmed up the blue pig with an all new YZF350 it would be my next bike.
Yes, how dare they not make a model that will sell 100 units a year
RMT wrote:
To be factual, KTM sold 843 350 SX's in the last 12 months, 254 less than the year before. Suzuki sold 911 RMZ250's in the same...
To be factual, KTM sold 843 350 SX's in the last 12 months, 254 less than the year before. Suzuki sold 911 RMZ250's in the same time period for comparison. If you add in the white and red versions, its only another 500 units in the past 12 months.

At the end of the day this is a business and nobody is looking at building a bike that currently sells 1300 units a year. Its a great bike and is perfect for the non-skinny vet guys, but until they have a class for 350's only, you're probably not going to see a major investment from any other OEM. They are like the 150cc two strokes (483 sold last year), great bikes and Vets love them but with no real racing class they don't sell many.

And to respond to the blue pig statement, America must be one big blue pig loving country because the YZ250F and YZ450F outsell every other bike in their category.
I really dislike when people mention sales when they justify their brand loyalty purchase, and I'm not saying Yamaha is not a good bike either.

Another thing "if brand x made 350f or a 150 I would buy it in a heartbeat" well both those models are available so go buy one.
4/15/2021 12:06am
Brent wrote:
The new 2022 KTM's will be in dealer showrooms in May-June 2021, they will have small changes to the WP suspension as well as mapping changes...
The new 2022 KTM's will be in dealer showrooms in May-June 2021, they will have small changes to the WP suspension as well as mapping changes.

The new KTM platform will debut as the 2022.5 KTM factory Edition and the Husqvarna FE, The rockstar thing is probably going away.

The new motor has a more compact unified bottom end, which means all the CC sizes 250-350-450 will use the same transmission cases with different gear ratios. The frame is slightly different. From what I was told they are still finalizing the design of the plastics, the new chassis has and is currently being tested around So Cal with the 2021 plastic.

No air shock for the foreseeable future because they are still working on reliability. WP Air fork will still be on the new bike with a second gen mid valve.

All of this could change as the new bike is still 6 months from production.

Any intel on if the Husky's will retain the lowered suspension for 2022?

I don't believe the 2021.5 REs kept it, correct?
mmcmx
4/15/2021 1:20am
JoeWV wrote:
I have a friend that got one I will ask.

I also remember Luis Correia racing a 250 YZF with Athena 299 kit against the 450's at the WEC a few years ago. I wonder if that kit is still available and how does compare to a 350?
cwel11
4/15/2021 2:08am
Brent wrote:
The new 2022 KTM's will be in dealer showrooms in May-June 2021, they will have small changes to the WP suspension as well as mapping changes...
The new 2022 KTM's will be in dealer showrooms in May-June 2021, they will have small changes to the WP suspension as well as mapping changes.

The new KTM platform will debut as the 2022.5 KTM factory Edition and the Husqvarna FE, The rockstar thing is probably going away.

The new motor has a more compact unified bottom end, which means all the CC sizes 250-350-450 will use the same transmission cases with different gear ratios. The frame is slightly different. From what I was told they are still finalizing the design of the plastics, the new chassis has and is currently being tested around So Cal with the 2021 plastic.

No air shock for the foreseeable future because they are still working on reliability. WP Air fork will still be on the new bike with a second gen mid valve.

All of this could change as the new bike is still 6 months from production.

Any intel on if the Husky's will retain the lowered suspension for 2022?

I don't believe the 2021.5 REs kept it, correct?
They’re stupid if they don’t IMO. I like the lower chassis
4/15/2021 2:32am
I don’t know when, but at some point more R&D money will be directed to electric bikes and start to slow down ICE bike development.
Lightning78
4/15/2021 2:38am
TeamGreen wrote:
Very interesting Factory Editions coming from Austria
-MAVERICK- wrote:
🤔 Go on...
Shiiiiit… do you really think he's gonna say anything after a teaser post like that? Hes somewhat of an "insider" Mav and that all love the teaser posts knowing something us civilians don't.
Not taking a dig at you TeamGren I understand you'll lose your insider status if you spill the beams ORRRRRR if you do spill it and nothings changed, the vital trolls will use the search feature amd find this thread and chastise what you said if its inaccurate.
Nobody wins at the laundromat 😂😂
I think the best solution is either create a burner account and tell all or pass the info on to someone to do it for you lol.
Can we all agree on this strategy?
Lightning78
4/15/2021 2:59am Edited Date/Time 4/15/2021 3:01am
JoeWV wrote:
mmcmx wrote:
I have a friend that got one I will ask. I also remember Luis Correia racing a 250 YZF with Athena 299 kit against the 450's...
I have a friend that got one I will ask.

I also remember Luis Correia racing a 250 YZF with Athena 299 kit against the 450's at the WEC a few years ago. I wonder if that kit is still available and how does compare to a 350?
I ran an 07 CRF250 with an Athena 280cc big bore kit along with a full blown built Tom Morgan head built strictly for the race team White Bros were running back when they were heavily involved. The head was leftover when the race shop closed down, my good buddy worked for white bros and gave it to me. He said it was worth over $5k it was heavily ported, xelydine valves, a specially ground custom cam with an adjustable cam sprocket that could have the timing of how early or late the cam engaged and the head was milled for higher compression…. In other words it was FULLY B'DASS!!
That head with the 280cc big bore kit and a single sided low boy titanium head and mid pipe white bros full carbon fiber exhaust and let me tell you, that bike RIPPED!!! I had a nearly new 04 CRF250 also that I was gonna use as a practice bike and I put an identical Athena 280cc kit I picked up for it. I put my 07 head on the 04 and it had a full FMF system on it but it was nowhere near as fast as my 07 was. Holy shitballs my 07 was not only fast, it was Torquey and dam close to a 450 and the 04 bike had nothing for it which made it not so great for a practice bike.
My 07 was a lot faster and stronger than even my buddy's 2012 KTM 350. Unfortunately it had a good amount of engine braking… ..it ran very much like my 99 YZ400 nearly identical in power and torque but A LOT LIGHTER! I loved that 07 bike till it literally almost killed me one day in a crash at Perris.
If done correctly, the Athena 280 (for hondas only) and 290 kits for the other manufacturers. One thing I made sure to do was run top end power focused hot cams with my big bore kits. I ran the same can (stage 2 or 3) in both bikes, yes I removed that custom cam from the TMR head and used the hot cam since I already had it and I was very pleased with the results. I did this because the big bore kits usually push the power down lower and my logic was to run top end focused cams in order to spread out/broaden the power in both my 04 amd 07.
This was a magic combination in both bikes.

Post a reply to: 2022 bike rumors

The Latest