2022 Kawasaki KX450SR (KYB suspension, and more...)

Related:
Create New Tag

12/4/2021 8:55 PM

Got a chance to spin some laps at Grear MX today on a brand new 2022 Kawasaki KX450SR (thanks to my buddy Cory who bought the SR). It was about 50F and sunny, nice ride day for December in Ohio. A few thoughts after the ride on the SR…...

Cory regularly rides a '21 KX450X and I ride a KTM 450SXF. Both Cory and I felt the engine stood out with strong power everywhere that was easy to use (smooth) with excellent throttle to rear wheel connectivity. The engine braking was low, especially for a new 450 engine. Vibration at the handlebar felt minimal - perhaps the special bar mounts on the X-Trig clamps reduce vibration. The combination of hand worked head, full Pro Circuit exhaust, and special EFI mapping combine to make for a very fun engine - responsive yet controlled.

Next up was the KYB suspension - mostly the forks. The friction free feel of the works style suspension is noticeable in the first 15 feet of riding: supple at the top of the stroke even on brand new forks and shock. The friction reducing coatings work. The setting feels firm and well controlled with minimal chassis pitch under braking or acceleration yet still felt plush and planted on the hard pack track. Front end traction was good.

Great to see Kawasaki offering a KX450 "SR" model with significant engine and chassis upgrades that noticeably improves the feel of an already shootout winning 450 motocrosser...Let the Good Times Roll!

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

12/4/2021 9:13 PM

Just like Tomac's!......err...Anderson's!! Great looking bike, with worth while upgrades.

|

12/5/2021 12:55 PM

SLAPAHO wrote:

So everyone likes the big green claw? Just wondering…..

I do not want it on my bikes. I will immediately replace those plastics. When Monster actually do something for the average non pro riders, I will then support Monster and run their logo(s).

|

12/5/2021 1:30 PM

Brent wrote:

More stunt marketing for fat old men with some spare cash to spend, like me.

If history teaches us anything, you will see ...more

What’s wrong with that? Most guys spend more on wedding rings and rarely get to ride her. I hope I could find a KX450SR in the crate and keep it there.

|

12/5/2021 1:55 PM

Brent wrote:

Brosho wrote:

What’s wrong with that? Most guys spend more on wedding rings and rarely get to ride her. I hope I could find a KX450SR in the ...more

Do you think they will hold value?

|

12/5/2021 2:26 PM

SLAPAHO wrote:

So everyone likes the big green claw? Just wondering…..

Brosho wrote:

I do not want it on my bikes. I will immediately replace those plastics. When Monster actually do something for the average ...more

I’ll buy them from you.

|

12/7/2021 5:39 AM

Brent wrote:

Brosho wrote:

What’s wrong with that? Most guys spend more on wedding rings and rarely get to ride her. I hope I could find a KX450SR in the ...more

i bought my 19 year old a Honda WE so i could watch him ride the ever loving shit out of it. In the scheme of things its not a lot of money

|

12/7/2021 8:24 AM

These special edish bikes are awesome. Maybe I missed some info but I wonder if the head is actually different or did they decide to copy Honda who’s head isn’t really changed in any meaningful way.

|

12/7/2021 8:31 PM

I will have the head off my SR in a couple weeks and will let you know.

|

12/8/2021 3:37 AM

Is big Blue next I wonder?

|

"A rule is a rule and without rules, there is Chaos"....Cosmo Kramer

12/9/2021 3:31 AM

Vet57 wrote:

Is big Blue next I wonder?

The better question would be: Is a stock YZ450 better than a 450SR, WE, or FE?

Does Yamaha really need a special bike or just let the buyer bling it out themself with some GYTR parts if desired.

|

12/9/2021 5:06 AM

mshea397 wrote:

Wondering why?

|

12/9/2021 5:08 AM

mshea397 wrote:

526 wrote:

Wondering why?

installing CP 14:1 piston, Pro Circuit cams and valve springs.

|

12/9/2021 3:50 PM

Brent wrote:

Brosho wrote:

hititpind wrote:

Do you think they will hold value?

Hmmmmmm? I bet many asked that same question back in 2005 with CR250s If everything eventually goes electric I say absolutely yes in 20-30 years from now.

|

12/20/2021 7:07 PM

mxengineer1 wrote:

Got a chance to spin some laps at Grear MX today on a brand new 2022 Kawasaki KX450SR (thanks to my buddy Cory who bought the ...more

Does anyone know how many 2022 Kawasaki KX450 SR bikes are being built?

|

12/20/2021 7:14 PM

mxengineer1 wrote:

Got a chance to spin some laps at Grear MX today on a brand new 2022 Kawasaki KX450SR (thanks to my buddy Cory who bought the ...more

joeteamevo wrote:

Does anyone know how many 2022 Kawasaki KX450 SR bikes are being built?

|

12/20/2021 7:14 PM

How many of these SR bikes are being built? My local dealer has one on the floor.

|

1/1/2022 7:54 PM

Looks like my dealer overtightened the Xtrig bar clamps on my new SR. Where can I order a new set of bushings? Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

1/2/2022 1:22 AM

mshea397 wrote:

installing CP 14:1 piston, Pro Circuit cams and valve springs.

You better put a rod in that bitch or your gona
Be saying bye bye.

|

When i was a child i fell in love with riding, Im getting back to that. I was 5 years old on a Z-50 christmas edition doing 2nd gear flat ground no handers for the sophmore girls walking home from the bus stop. I was hot shit. 23 years later and you better bet your ass ill still do a flatground no hander if the oppurtunity presents itself.

1/2/2022 2:28 AM

joeteamevo wrote:

Looks like my dealer overtightened the Xtrig bar clamps on my new SR. Where can I order a new set of bushings? Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

https://www.motosport.com/Xtrig-PHDS-System-Elastomers?variant=KYB1WU3-X001-Y001

|

1/2/2022 6:49 AM

joeteamevo wrote:

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

thanks for posting this.. My dealer only installed the 4 small rubber cones. nothing else. awesome.

|

1/2/2022 8:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/2/2022 8:49 AM

As a blu cru guy pretty much through and through, I would buy this thing in a heart beat. Put a full Hinson clutch assembly in it to beef up the clutch (only has a cover on it), send the suspension to Enzo, and then have Twisted add a vortex and tune it. Done and dusted, ride the shit out of the thing with a smile. When it comes time for a new bike, buy stock suspension, clamps, and pipe off ebay for cheap. Replace it and sell the bike. Keep the suspension, ecu, clutch, pipe, and clamps for the next bike. If you want off of a kawasaki you can sell that shit and make a pretty penny.

|

1/14/2022 9:07 PM

Grabbed some detail shots of the SR. Excited to ride this thing. The snow just needs to melt.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo