2022 CRF250R

9/9/2022 7:20am
Had a question for the guys that ran with the stock suspension for a little bit( I plan to get a revalve over winter) but wanted some setup tips and it seems like every media outlet had something different, so i was wondering what you guys found that worked well. seemed like sag was 105 across the board but varying opinions on clickers/fork height. I'm about 145-150lbs and a novice/intermediate rider. Thanks in advance guys
jpred
9/9/2022 7:27am
jpred wrote:
What are the 2023s going for OTD?
Rocket164 wrote:
After TTL mine was $9,200 OTD.
Thanks! I was quoted $9400. I'm thinking that's not bad since I'm in CA.
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
9/9/2022 7:37am
Had a question for the guys that ran with the stock suspension for a little bit( I plan to get a revalve over winter) but wanted...
Had a question for the guys that ran with the stock suspension for a little bit( I plan to get a revalve over winter) but wanted some setup tips and it seems like every media outlet had something different, so i was wondering what you guys found that worked well. seemed like sag was 105 across the board but varying opinions on clickers/fork height. I'm about 145-150lbs and a novice/intermediate rider. Thanks in advance guys
I found backing out rebound and increasing compression helped most on the fork. It seemed like the mid-valve was too slow and the base too free. Taking some oil out helps a little too and is cheap to try.
SX_336
9/10/2022 7:29am
jpred wrote:
picked mine up for $8700
Where did you get yours?

The Shop

SX_336
9/10/2022 7:58am
jpred wrote:
I’m in NC and I can’t find one under 9500.00 OTD. I need to find where these guys are getting them for 8700.00!
Collin197
9/10/2022 10:12am
SX_336 wrote:
Where did you get yours?
Picked it up from Ohio. They don’t collect nys sales tax. Basically called around got the best price then negotiated with a closer dealer.
SX_336
9/10/2022 10:29am
SX_336 wrote:
Where did you get yours?
Collin197 wrote:
Picked it up from Ohio. They don’t collect nys sales tax. Basically called around got the best price then negotiated with a closer dealer.
I don’t think Tennessee charges tax either. I could be wrong. I’m going to try Mountain Motorsports in Kodak,TN.
Zycki11
9/10/2022 11:00am
SX_336 wrote:
Where did you get yours?
Collin197 wrote:
SX_336 wrote:
I don’t think Tennessee charges tax either. I could be wrong. I’m going to try Mountain Motorsports in Kodak,TN.
Tell them Chad Reed sent you for a discount
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
9/10/2022 11:21am
SX_336 wrote:
Where did you get yours?
Collin197 wrote:
SX_336 wrote:
In a different thread you mentioned a dealer quoted you $7016.58 OTD on a 22 YZ250F, where was that at?
I messaged you, but Vital's messaging system is not great.
SX_336
9/10/2022 11:51am
Collin197 wrote:
SX_336 wrote:
In a different thread you mentioned a dealer quoted you $7016.58 OTD on a 22 YZ250F, where was that at? I messaged you, but Vital's messaging...
In a different thread you mentioned a dealer quoted you $7016.58 OTD on a 22 YZ250F, where was that at?
I messaged you, but Vital's messaging system is not great.
That was dealership in Sanford,NC I think. They don’t have anymore. I’ve messaged so many dealers in the last 3 weeks, I can’t remember them all. I had to start writing all this stuff down, Trying to find a 23CRF250R, but no luck aside from the one that wants almost 9600.00 for one.
Cokeham23
9/10/2022 1:05pm
jpred wrote:
I paid $7980 OTD in Mississippi.

Something weird on my 21 and 22, I would start the bike, let it warm up for a minute or 2 (usually just while I grabbed my gloves and goggles, I would feel the radiators to see if they were warm), pull in the clutch, pop it in gear and it would jump like I didn’t have the clutch engaged and die. Then it would take a minute or 2 to start, usually had to crank a bit before it would fire, but after that it would run fine and wouldn’t do it again the rest of the day, even after taking breaks. Both bikes had done it since new. Just curious if anyone else has experienced that?
shkapars
9/11/2022 12:22am
had 18 before and now 22. Discovered on both bikes that stock clutch plates stick together with some oils. Maybe oil brand change will help. On 18 felt it more than on 22. On 22 never had problems starting bike after stall. 18 didn't like start when not warm enough. Sometimes help short full throttle while starting
Richy
9/11/2022 12:35am Edited Date/Time 9/11/2022 12:36am
jpred wrote:
Cokeham23 wrote:
I paid $7980 OTD in Mississippi. Something weird on my 21 and 22, I would start the bike, let it warm up for a minute or...

Something weird on my 21 and 22, I would start the bike, let it warm up for a minute or 2 (usually just while I grabbed my gloves and goggles, I would feel the radiators to see if they were warm), pull in the clutch, pop it in gear and it would jump like I didn’t have the clutch engaged and die. Then it would take a minute or 2 to start, usually had to crank a bit before it would fire, but after that it would run fine and wouldn’t do it again the rest of the day, even after taking breaks. Both bikes had done it since new. Just curious if anyone else has experienced that?
A fair share of KTMs do the same thing, presumably others, seems to be the plates sticking / everything being cold as shkapars said.
Motofinne
9/11/2022 1:40am
Rode a slightly modded 22 (HGS pipe and Vortex ignition) this week and it felt good. I ride a 2020 YZ450F so it was very difficult to say anything about the motor since the 450 is such a beast, i haven't rode a 250 since 2 years back and that was my own built YZ250F. But the Honda was very light-feeling. The clamps were also changed to Ride Engineering with a different offset, it think it was the 23,5mm offset. I would've preferred to ride it with the stock clamps.

One thing is didn't really like was the brakes. They were too "touchy". Not a lot of modulation there, especially the front brake. Too much of an "on or off"-feeling.

The suspension was very plush (bone stock, not even a revalve). Probably too soft for my weight since i've gained some weight the last 6 months and i'm a bit over 190lbs now. It felt good the first couple of laps when i was riding slowly and learned the ergonomics. Once i started to push a bit the rear shock gave up and didn't have the necessary holdup.

Overall a very good bike, and it looks amazing.
Rocket164
9/11/2022 12:11pm
2023 CRF250R first impression after 6 Moto’s (2.3 on track hours).

I’m a 36 year old ~190 lbs Vet Intermediate rider that has 30+ yrs riding experience. I’ve had many 125’s, 250’s, 450’s over my riding career but always gravitate back to the slower bikes for the increased fun factor.

Motor - It’s fast! After spending the last 8 years on YZ125’s this bike can haul me around just fine. Never did I think I needed more power at any point on the track. Very satisfied with the amount of power. As others have stated it does have great bottom and I was able to run 3rd gear in all corners and could ride the entire track in 3rd and 4th gear. Spent most of the day in the lower end of the rev range but I did stretch 3rd gear out a few times. Pulls harder up top for sure but I felt more comfortable short shifting rather than wringing it out. Never got close to hitting rev limiter and don’t think I ever will.

Handling / High Speed Stability - I never got head shake or any unexpected twitchiness! After reading some reviews this was a concern of mine but happy to report it was not an issue for me.

Ridgid Feeling - I did not notice the bike being overly ridgid. Only mods that were done prior to riding was ProTaper ACF bars, hand filing of the shock tower (pic below), and re-torquing of all engine mounts. Did it make a difference???? I’m not sure as this was done prior to riding the bike but I have no complaints!

Cornering - On flat corners and bowl berms the bike cornered very well. Area 1, 2, and 3 I had no complaints. However on rutted corners I struggled a little with area 1. Had trouble getting the bike settled and leaned over on the initial turn in. I think this has more to do with the suspension setup than the actual ability of the bike to corner. I’m sure as I get more comfortable with the bike and get the setup dialed this will not be an issue.

Front Suspension - Forks are harsh in the mid stroke! Most notable area on the track that I struggled with was coming into corners with breaking bumps. If I applied any front brake at all the forks were very harsh and the front end became unsettled. If I didn’t apply any front brake this feeling mostly went away so i adjusted my riding technique to make the bike work better. I clicked the compression softer and harder to try and ease this feeling and I found going a few clicks in on compression made this feel better but I need to continue clicking on next ride day. In addition to staying off the front brake I chose to be creative and ride the smoother lines and roll into the turns. May have found a new riding technique due to the harsh forks. Roll speed vs attacking in and out of the corners. On large landings the suspension feels great, no complaints.

Rear Suspension - No complaints, worked well.

Planned Mod’s - Factory Connection suspension revalve to get the fork more compliant coming into corners with breaking bumps.

Tip - I used a hole saw bit to cut a hole in the skid plate directly under the oil drain plug. This allows you to leave the skid plate on during oil changes.
fourfourone
9/12/2022 6:04am
jpred wrote:
Cokeham23 wrote:
I paid $7980 OTD in Mississippi. Something weird on my 21 and 22, I would start the bike, let it warm up for a minute or...

I've got a few hours on mine now and it doesn't do that. I run the honda 10w30 syn.
Cokeham23
9/12/2022 9:17am
Clutch plates sticking makes sense. The hard start after still has me curious, I wouldn’t think the clutch would do that? I ran Bel Ray 10w40 in both bikes. I haven’t ridden my ‘23 yet, so can’t anything about it.
Collin197
9/14/2022 5:00pm
What different exhausts systems have people tried? I’m looking at possibly picking up a ti6 or the akrapovic.
shkapars
9/15/2022 2:51am
Runing HGS. Ported head, remap for stock exhaust. Installed exhaust on dyno. HGS graph with not corrected mapping, just best from maps in computer. Noticeable difference with butt dyno too

sandtrack315
9/15/2022 3:00am
Rocket164 wrote:
2023 CRF250R first impression after 6 Moto’s (2.3 on track hours). I’m a 36 year old ~190 lbs Vet Intermediate rider that has 30+ yrs riding...
2023 CRF250R first impression after 6 Moto’s (2.3 on track hours).

I’m a 36 year old ~190 lbs Vet Intermediate rider that has 30+ yrs riding experience. I’ve had many 125’s, 250’s, 450’s over my riding career but always gravitate back to the slower bikes for the increased fun factor.

Motor - It’s fast! After spending the last 8 years on YZ125’s this bike can haul me around just fine. Never did I think I needed more power at any point on the track. Very satisfied with the amount of power. As others have stated it does have great bottom and I was able to run 3rd gear in all corners and could ride the entire track in 3rd and 4th gear. Spent most of the day in the lower end of the rev range but I did stretch 3rd gear out a few times. Pulls harder up top for sure but I felt more comfortable short shifting rather than wringing it out. Never got close to hitting rev limiter and don’t think I ever will.

Handling / High Speed Stability - I never got head shake or any unexpected twitchiness! After reading some reviews this was a concern of mine but happy to report it was not an issue for me.

Ridgid Feeling - I did not notice the bike being overly ridgid. Only mods that were done prior to riding was ProTaper ACF bars, hand filing of the shock tower (pic below), and re-torquing of all engine mounts. Did it make a difference???? I’m not sure as this was done prior to riding the bike but I have no complaints!

Cornering - On flat corners and bowl berms the bike cornered very well. Area 1, 2, and 3 I had no complaints. However on rutted corners I struggled a little with area 1. Had trouble getting the bike settled and leaned over on the initial turn in. I think this has more to do with the suspension setup than the actual ability of the bike to corner. I’m sure as I get more comfortable with the bike and get the setup dialed this will not be an issue.

Front Suspension - Forks are harsh in the mid stroke! Most notable area on the track that I struggled with was coming into corners with breaking bumps. If I applied any front brake at all the forks were very harsh and the front end became unsettled. If I didn’t apply any front brake this feeling mostly went away so i adjusted my riding technique to make the bike work better. I clicked the compression softer and harder to try and ease this feeling and I found going a few clicks in on compression made this feel better but I need to continue clicking on next ride day. In addition to staying off the front brake I chose to be creative and ride the smoother lines and roll into the turns. May have found a new riding technique due to the harsh forks. Roll speed vs attacking in and out of the corners. On large landings the suspension feels great, no complaints.

Rear Suspension - No complaints, worked well.

Planned Mod’s - Factory Connection suspension revalve to get the fork more compliant coming into corners with breaking bumps.

Tip - I used a hole saw bit to cut a hole in the skid plate directly under the oil drain plug. This allows you to leave the skid plate on during oil changes.
Stiffer springs and the FC will make you happy.
fourfourone
9/15/2022 6:16am
Just saw 2 ex pro race bikes for sale near me. both around 80 hours and both have only had top ends done. Good news if anyone is wondering about reliability.
Mikerides33
9/16/2022 9:33am
I got the crispiest 22 you have ever seen for sale. Personal circumstances and it has 2 laps on it. Even has a twin air system. 8Gs.
fourfourone
9/16/2022 10:50am
I got the crispiest 22 you have ever seen for sale. Personal circumstances and it has 2 laps on it. Even has a twin air system...
I got the crispiest 22 you have ever seen for sale. Personal circumstances and it has 2 laps on it. Even has a twin air system. 8Gs.
Any other aftermarket parts you want to sell?
Rocket164
9/18/2022 3:52pm
After my second ride day I have the below updated settings for anyone struggling with the stock suspension. This was after lots of experimentation with clicker settings and some fork height adjustment. For the most part the more I clicked the more I returned close to the stock settings.

I put 2 hours on the bike and at the end of the day when the track was beat (and me too) the bike felt the best it had all day! I was pretty happy leaving the track and satisfied to leave my bike alone until I have time to send off the suspension for re-valve and springs.

Couple key take aways:

At 2mm fork height the bike didn’t want to turn in as well as I had hoped. Moving to 4mm helped the cornering with no sacrifice in high speed stability.

When going stiffer on fork compression I was loosing comfort so I settled for backing out the rebound to try and get the hold up I’m needing in the consecutive bumps.

Over jumped a step down table top and landed into the face of a breaking bump. Thought for sure I was in trouble but the forks soaked it up extremely well. These forks continue to work great on big landings, just don’t like consecutive bumps.

The rear end was riding too low in the stroke on corner exit when there were some sandy rollers. Increased the low speed compression to help this.

Im not a suspension expert but I’m not afraid to make some adjustments. After reading many reviews and watching ride review videos this is where I settled. Hope this helps someone.

2023 Honda CRF250r CURRENT settings
Forks
C 13
R 17
4mm fork height

Shock
C 4
HC 2 1/6
R 11
105mm sag

2023 Honda CRF250r STOCK settings:
C 12
R 13
5mm fork height

C 6
HC 2 1/6th
R11
105mm sag
Rocket164
9/18/2022 4:02pm
Drilled some holes in the upper engine mounts. Searching for more comfort. Pics below.

Collin197
9/23/2022 7:28am
Hey guys, ended up getting gold valves, front and rear as well as springs all around from racetech. Just got everything back on the bike and plan to ride Saturday.
Collin197
10/3/2022 2:08pm
Anyone on here have any leads on a rear subframe? Bent mine up pretty good but from what I can tell you can’t find them anywhere.

Post a reply to: 2022 CRF250R

The Latest