2022 CRF250R

sandtrack315
2/7/2021 6:24pm
When my bike was stock I didn't feel it was a slow bike but the lack low end torque was noticeable. You had to keep momentum...
When my bike was stock I didn't feel it was a slow bike but the lack low end torque was noticeable. You had to keep momentum through turns. A re-mapped vortex, Yosh exh. air filter screen delete, good fuel and a Recluse torque drive clutch helped mine quite a bit. Picks up sooner and stronger through out the whole rev range. I would like to try a 1 larger tooth sprocket now to help out the low end even more since it picked up more over rev. The Honda has great ergonomics, corners like a dream and feels the lightest in the air to me. The Honda may feel slower then the other bikes because of the power delivery but lap times would tell a different story. My guess the 22 will get a completely different head with a center port exhaust, single can and wouldn't be surprised if they changes the bore and stroke to what Husky, KTM, Gas Gas and kawi are running to give the bike more bottom and mid torque. We'll find out soon enough.
Good point, we should have motor specs in July and we will know if they changed it to have some more bottom.

They won’t run a 2022 in MXGP, right?
TheRookie
2/8/2021 5:31am
Rode my 21' CRF250 last weekend for the first time after coming off a 19' Kawi 250. My experience seemed to mirror what the shootouts say...
Rode my 21' CRF250 last weekend for the first time after coming off a 19' Kawi 250. My experience seemed to mirror what the shootouts say. The motor was lacking and it struggled a bit in the sand but by the end of the day I was having an absolute blast. I haven't been on a Honda since my 85 in 03' but I felt the same joy on this bike. I cant wait to ride it again.
That's cool. How lacking did you think the motor was? I will probably get a Vortex ignition mapped by XPR Motorsports, run VP T4, and get...
That's cool. How lacking did you think the motor was?

I will probably get a Vortex ignition mapped by XPR Motorsports, run VP T4, and get a Yosh pipe. I think that will get it close enough to a Yamaha that the fun factor way outweighs the lack of power.
IMO the motor only lacked on the very bottom. Everywhere else it felt great and that was me coming off a 20 250sxf. Carry more speed and problem solved lol. But seriously a pipe, tune, and re-gearing will wake it up some. idk about a Yamaha's low end power level, because those are tractors, but it will help.
sandtrack315
2/8/2021 6:01am
TheRookie wrote:
IMO the motor only lacked on the very bottom. Everywhere else it felt great and that was me coming off a 20 250sxf. Carry more speed...
IMO the motor only lacked on the very bottom. Everywhere else it felt great and that was me coming off a 20 250sxf. Carry more speed and problem solved lol. But seriously a pipe, tune, and re-gearing will wake it up some. idk about a Yamaha's low end power level, because those are tractors, but it will help.
Agreed. On my 2020 Yamaha I end up in third gear in most turns. Problem is it revs out a bit too fast after the exit and it's usually not worth it to click fourth for 30 feet before the next turn, and the bike rolls too easy at entrance if you are still in 4th. I usually just end up slamming the rev limiter for a couple seconds before I let off in these circumstances.

As long as I can carry third on the Honda and it revs farther, even if I need a pipe, tune, and VP T4, I will be very happy. It's easy to get that clean response off the bottom with some mods, but even with a pipe, tune, and VP T4, and the twin air power flow, the 2020 Yamaha just will not rev.

I know they fixed this on the 21, though. It's funny, now that the Yamaha has more top, and I assume Honda will go for more bottom, the 2022 motors might be more similar than they have ever been.
Zycki11
2/8/2021 7:52am Edited Date/Time 2/8/2021 7:58am
Zycki11 wrote:
I’ve never understood why someone wants a “screamer”. When your that high in the revs it binds the shock and handles poorly through bumps etc. more...
I’ve never understood why someone wants a “screamer”. When your that high in the revs it binds the shock and handles poorly through bumps etc. more torque is the key IMO
I wouldn’t say it happens to any particular model over the next. I’m just not a fan of screaming the crap out of a bike and floating valves all the time. I’d rather be in the midrange and keep pulling. Momentum is still everything no matter which bike you choose to ride.

The Shop

2/20/2021 7:59am
Don’t know if anyone has mentioned this but does anyone think they will keep the dual exhaust and dual exhaust port thing they’ve got now, only follow the 450 style with the frame and plastics.. hydraulic clutch etc..
Leeham
Fantasy
3084th
2/20/2021 9:42am
Its kinda a toss up. It costs a lot of R&D to create a new motor and with Covid restrictions we may not see a change. They might be able to do it but only time will tell
2/20/2021 10:56am
Marc_Honda wrote:
Don’t know if anyone has mentioned this but does anyone think they will keep the dual exhaust and dual exhaust port thing they’ve got now, only...
Don’t know if anyone has mentioned this but does anyone think they will keep the dual exhaust and dual exhaust port thing they’ve got now, only follow the 450 style with the frame and plastics.. hydraulic clutch etc..
That is my biggest fear with this bike and I think, if those end up being true, many many people will be disappointed.

I doubt it would be a completely new engine since it was completely new in 2018.

Honda seem to do 2 gen of bike with the same engine base
(09-12 and 13-16 450, 10-13 and 14-17 250 then 17-20 and 21-... 450, 18-21 250) if that pattern is respected, Honda would retain the same engine base.

The top end and dual port exhaust was their big thing and selling features with this engine generation, it was also developed, performance wise, pushing those features.

With that in mind, I doubt they could just swap the top end (like they did on the 450, center port) with a single port and single exhaust

On the other end, I have no clue how they could use dual exhaust in the new chassis with the airbox and bodywork

I also doubt we'll see hydro clutch, HRC or other race team never (in my knowledge) ran official prototype hydraulic clutch. It was pretty common on the HRC 450 since 2014 and the stock unit we now see on the stock 2021 is an exact replica of what as been developed and seen on race bike.

Maybe I'm all wrong, (and I hope so!) But I think my points are logical.
sandtrack315
2/20/2021 12:28pm
Marc_Honda wrote:
Don’t know if anyone has mentioned this but does anyone think they will keep the dual exhaust and dual exhaust port thing they’ve got now, only...
That is my biggest fear with this bike and I think, if those end up being true, many many people will be disappointed. I doubt it...
That is my biggest fear with this bike and I think, if those end up being true, many many people will be disappointed.

I doubt it would be a completely new engine since it was completely new in 2018.

(09-12 and 13-16 450, 10-13 and 14-17 250 then 17-20 and 21-... 450, 18-21 250) if that pattern is respected, Honda would retain the same engine base.

The top end and dual port exhaust was their big thing and selling features with this engine generation, it was also developed, performance wise, pushing those features.

With that in mind, I doubt they could just swap the top end (like they did on the 450, center port) with a single port and single exhaust

On the other end, I have no clue how they could use dual exhaust in the new chassis with the airbox and bodywork

I also doubt we'll see hydro clutch, HRC or other race team never (in my knowledge) ran official prototype hydraulic clutch. It was pretty common on the HRC 450 since 2014 and the stock unit we now see on the stock 2021 is an exact replica of what as been developed and seen on race bike.

That’s a good point on the motor. They did do a lot of upgrade too it mid cycle too, so maybe they don’t want to abandon it. At the same time, I don’t know how the dual exhaust would work with the new frame and body worth either, though. And I think they history of a tick-tock for new 450, then new 250, is pretty solid as well?

I hate how expensive aftermarket dual exhaust is, but I am getting a bit nostalgic for it already.

Don’t the Lawrence brother’s run a hydraulic clutch? I honestly don’t care that much about that.
Ryan625
2/20/2021 5:15pm
TheRookie wrote:
IMO the motor only lacked on the very bottom. Everywhere else it felt great and that was me coming off a 20 250sxf. Carry more speed...
Agreed. On my 2020 Yamaha I end up in third gear in most turns. Problem is it revs out a bit too fast after the exit...
Agreed. On my 2020 Yamaha I end up in third gear in most turns. Problem is it revs out a bit too fast after the exit and it's usually not worth it to click fourth for 30 feet before the next turn, and the bike rolls too easy at entrance if you are still in 4th. I usually just end up slamming the rev limiter for a couple seconds before I let off in these circumstances.

As long as I can carry third on the Honda and it revs farther, even if I need a pipe, tune, and VP T4, I will be very happy. It's easy to get that clean response off the bottom with some mods, but even with a pipe, tune, and VP T4, and the twin air power flow, the 2020 Yamaha just will not rev.

I know they fixed this on the 21, though. It's funny, now that the Yamaha has more top, and I assume Honda will go for more bottom, the 2022 motors might be more similar than they have ever been.
Try a 49 tooth rear. I love my 2020 I have a twin air kit and pc pipe and that’s it
hubbardmx50
2/20/2021 9:10pm
Good points about the current 18-21 dual header motor not working with the 22 frame and body work. It will be really interesting to see what they end up going with.
sandtrack315
2/21/2021 8:18am
Ryan625 wrote:
Try a 49 tooth rear. I love my 2020 I have a twin air kit and pc pipe and that’s it
How fast does 2nd rev out with a 49 / How often do you use 2nd versus 3rd?
afk66
2/21/2021 8:41am
Ryan625 wrote:
Third / fourth majority of the track. Third in larger turns, 2nd in tight turns.

Running vortex mapped by xpr, yoshimura full exhaust, twin air, rekluse full clutch. Running 49t as mentioned above. Will be putting a ported head and high compression piston on when I have time to do so. I’ll post some feedback once I’ve ridden it.

Without the ecu I don’t think I’d do the 49t, I felt like it lacked that extra punch and over rev on the 49t. Once I added the ecu it made a difference to were 3rd was far more useable for me at least.
sandtrack315
2/22/2021 8:48am
I stumbled across this review of the 2021, and it reminds me that we really are on a four-year cycle typically for the Hondas: https://motocrossactionmag.com/amp/mxa-race-test-2021-honda-crf250/

They put a ton of work into the motor in 2018, and it sucked, so they put a bit more into it in 2019. It would be really odd to have an "all-new" model on their four-year cycle and not redo the motor.
kiwifan
2/22/2021 11:49am Edited Date/Time 2/22/2021 11:49am
I stumbled across this review of the 2021, and it reminds me that we really are on a four-year cycle typically for the Hondas: https://motocrossactionmag.com/amp/mxa-race-test-2021-honda-crf250/ They...
I stumbled across this review of the 2021, and it reminds me that we really are on a four-year cycle typically for the Hondas: https://motocrossactionmag.com/amp/mxa-race-test-2021-honda-crf250/

They put a ton of work into the motor in 2018, and it sucked, so they put a bit more into it in 2019. It would be really odd to have an "all-new" model on their four-year cycle and not redo the motor.
regardless of cycles the 250 always gets updated after the 450, the 450 was "all new" last year, expect the 2022 250 to be the same (with '21 450 bugs ironed out). i.e. I expect hydro clutch, single muffler, oval centre port, much larger air filter volume, etc etc
2/25/2021 12:17pm
Marc_Honda wrote:
That is my biggest fear with this bike and I think, if those end up being true, many many people will be disappointed. I doubt it...

That’s a good point on the motor. They did do a lot of upgrade too it mid cycle too, so maybe they don’t want to abandon...
That’s a good point on the motor. They did do a lot of upgrade too it mid cycle too, so maybe they don’t want to abandon it. At the same time, I don’t know how the dual exhaust would work with the new frame and body worth either, though. And I think they history of a tick-tock for new 450, then new 250, is pretty solid as well?

I hate how expensive aftermarket dual exhaust is, but I am getting a bit nostalgic for it already.

Don’t the Lawrence brother’s run a hydraulic clutch? I honestly don’t care that much about that.
Yeah, what llaliberte22 said with the engine is kind of what i believe will happen.. we know how much Honda has put into that exhaust and like he said they just spent all that R&D money on the dual exhaust port engine.

I did think they'd add hydraulic clutch to the 250 so they'd match on both bikes like Kawi but maybe not..

Tbh don't think I've ever seen a CRF250 with works hydraulic clutch?? no one in MXGP or supercross/outdoors 250 have used one.
sandtrack315
2/25/2021 4:34pm Edited Date/Time 2/25/2021 4:35pm
kiwifan wrote:
regardless of cycles the 250 always gets updated after the 450, the 450 was "all new" last year, expect the 2022 250 to be the same...
regardless of cycles the 250 always gets updated after the 450, the 450 was "all new" last year, expect the 2022 250 to be the same (with '21 450 bugs ironed out). i.e. I expect hydro clutch, single muffler, oval centre port, much larger air filter volume, etc etc
I’ll be first in line and overpay if so.

It’s annoying they didn’t get the suspension and ecu settings right, but I’ll send both out anyways.
kiwifan
2/25/2021 6:11pm
kiwifan wrote:
regardless of cycles the 250 always gets updated after the 450, the 450 was "all new" last year, expect the 2022 250 to be the same...
I’ll be first in line and overpay if so.

It’s annoying they didn’t get the suspension and ecu settings right, but I’ll send both out anyways.
I am hoping both the 250 and (especially) the 450 come with wifi tuning in 2022
Ryan625
2/25/2021 8:37pm
Ryan625 wrote:
2nd carries longer than it used to. I think the 49T just adds that little extra to the end of each gear that I thought was missing. I have the no toil power flow kit and a full pc pipe, that’s it as far as mods. I’m considering an ECU in the future.
sandtrack315
2/26/2021 5:50am
Ryan625 wrote:
2nd carries longer than it used to. I think the 49T just adds that little extra to the end of each gear that I thought was...
2nd carries longer than it used to. I think the 49T just adds that little extra to the end of each gear that I thought was missing. I have the no toil power flow kit and a full pc pipe, that’s it as far as mods. I’m considering an ECU in the future.
You are saying adding a tooth to the rear increases the top end pull? I guess you just mean it has more torque/pull all the way throughout?
Ryan625
2/26/2021 7:06am
Ryan625 wrote:
2nd carries longer than it used to. I think the 49T just adds that little extra to the end of each gear that I thought was...
You are saying adding a tooth to the rear increases the top end pull? I guess you just mean it has more torque/pull all the way...
You are saying adding a tooth to the rear increases the top end pull? I guess you just mean it has more torque/pull all the way throughout?
Read it again, I dropped a tooth from 50 to 49
sandtrack315
2/26/2021 7:11am
Ryan625 wrote:
oh my bad, I thought 48 was stock?
afk66
2/26/2021 7:43am
Ryan625 wrote:
It is.
Ryan625
2/26/2021 6:19pm
Ryan625 wrote:
afk66 wrote:
It is.
My 2020 definitely came with a 50T rear 🤷🏻‍♂️
afk66
2/27/2021 3:16am
afk66 wrote:
It is.
Ryan625 wrote:
Interesting, should be a 13/48. Check your manual it shows it there as well. I wonder how you ended up with a 50t? Kinda crazy!!!
MikeID
3/19/2021 9:01pm
I stumbled across this review of the 2021, and it reminds me that we really are on a four-year cycle typically for the Hondas: https://motocrossactionmag.com/amp/mxa-race-test-2021-honda-crf250/ They...

I wonder if Honda could take the old motor and make it work with the new chassis.
Ryan625
3/19/2021 11:35pm
afk66 wrote:
It is.
Ryan625 wrote:
afk66 wrote:
Interesting, should be a 13/48. Check your manual it shows it there as well. I wonder how you ended up with a 50t? Kinda crazy!!!
Where have you seen 13/48?

Everywhere I look shows me that 13/50 is stock on a 2020
RedRider785
3/20/2021 12:19am
Ryan625 wrote:
afk66 wrote:
Ryan625 wrote:

It is definitely 13/48. My Father just got a new 2021 which is the exact same as the 2020. Also, everywhere I have checked says 13/48. This is why many people are going up to a 49t rear.
Ryan625
3/20/2021 1:00am
afk66 wrote:
Ryan625 wrote:

It is definitely 13/48. My Father just got a new 2021 which is the exact same as the 2020. Also, everywhere I have checked says 13/48...
It is definitely 13/48. My Father just got a new 2021 which is the exact same as the 2020. Also, everywhere I have checked says 13/48. This is why many people are going up to a 49t rear.
I’m not saying you’re wrong, but it sure seems like you aren’t correct 🤷🏻‍♂️

GaryC1
3/20/2021 2:57am
Ryan625 wrote:
I’m not saying you’re wrong, but it sure seems like you aren’t correct 🤷🏻‍♂️ [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/03/20/483929/s1200_39E2B75E_8A38_40B8_9F79_A8CD14F1CBAE.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/03/20/483930/s1200_7F5D321D_D591_4D8A_BCE0_EE743EDD7B2B.jpg[/img]
I’m not saying you’re wrong, but it sure seems like you aren’t correct 🤷🏻‍♂️

This is what I've found in my manual, haven't checked my bike yet to see what is on it as I still have the standard sprockets on but manual says 48 standard

Post a reply to: 2022 CRF250R

The Latest