2022 250f's

Edited Date/Time 9/12/2021 5:19pm
Wich 2022 250f
Would you recommend to a 40 year old beginner/Novice?

What's your skill level and which would you buy personally?

level are

|
Regis
Fantasy
340th
9/10/2021 9:19am
The one you think looks the coolest.
9/10/2021 9:22am Edited Date/Time 9/10/2021 9:22am
Regis wrote:
The one you think looks the coolest.
Wich is that for you?
sandtrack315
9/10/2021 9:22am
Would you recommend to a 40 year old beginner/Novice?

Honda, good cornering, strong motor, great ergonomics. If you are a little heavier, maybe the Yamaha, because of the motor.

What's your skill level and which would you buy personally?

30+ Vet A, been riding the Yamaha, going to the Honda this year. I don't race, just want to have fun on the bike, so giving the Honda a try since everyone says it is so fun to ride.
9/10/2021 9:24am
For me on Looks it's Kawasaki
But for performance I think I would choose Honda

The Shop

Richy
9/10/2021 9:30am
One thing that intrigues me personally, although I don't mind engine work on 4 Strokes at all, is how KTM's service intervals (piston, for example) can be so far ahead of, say, Kawasaki?

Just the KX as an example, not picking on them... but last time I looked Kawi's piston replacement hours were under half KTM's?

Are Kawi just covering themselves and being paranoid? Assuming everyone is super fast and aggressive? Or are the internal parts really that much cheaper or worse?

This is just a question, don't take any of it as fact or think I know what I'm talking about, I don't at all, that's why I'm asking and it's only based off what I saw in a couple of service manuals a while ago.
Moto520
9/10/2021 9:42am
Man....i really love my 2019 KX450. The bike is awesome. I have to imagine that the KX250 would be amazing on that chassis.

They are all really good this year. KTM forks aren't as bad as they make them out to be stock.
AH387
9/10/2021 9:50am
Would be a little easier to compare once the shootouts are out, just because the Honda is the somewhat unknown. I am going to assume that it is at least comparable to the Yamaha's motor, by the sounds of the initial tests. So in saying that, and you know the ergos and cornering is going to be top notch. So that would certainly be at the top of the list, I would think. And the Yamaha has to be up there as well. I own a '21 and it is very easy to ride. The power is very quick and snappy and it rev's insanely fast. But it is still easy to ride, you aren't fighting the bike. It probably handles better than it gets credit for, especially when you factor in stability and it's overall mannerisms when the track gets rough. The ergos are not the best but it is easy to get used to. Plus the suspension is amazing. So it would be between the YZF and CRF, if it were me. I'd give the slight edge to the YZF just because I already know what I am getting. I'd have to personally feel the Honda motor and suspension before giving it the top spot. But I can't imagine going wrong with either machine.
sandtrack315
9/10/2021 9:53am
Richy wrote:
One thing that intrigues me personally, although I don't mind engine work on 4 Strokes at all, is how KTM's service intervals (piston, for example) can...
One thing that intrigues me personally, although I don't mind engine work on 4 Strokes at all, is how KTM's service intervals (piston, for example) can be so far ahead of, say, Kawasaki?

Just the KX as an example, not picking on them... but last time I looked Kawi's piston replacement hours were under half KTM's?

Are Kawi just covering themselves and being paranoid? Assuming everyone is super fast and aggressive? Or are the internal parts really that much cheaper or worse?

This is just a question, don't take any of it as fact or think I know what I'm talking about, I don't at all, that's why I'm asking and it's only based off what I saw in a couple of service manuals a while ago.
Eh, a mix of trying to covering themselves and sell parts. It does not mean anything.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
9/10/2021 10:01am
Grab yourself a leftover RMZ and save some money.
Motofinne
9/10/2021 10:15am Edited Date/Time 9/10/2021 10:27am
All of them are good for a beginner. I would get the bike that you can get the best deal with and the best support from the dealer on the spare parts, setup help, gear etc.

But if you're looking to have the bike for multiple years, the Honda would be a good choice. It got its big generational update now and wont change for years except smaller tweaks. So you'll have the latest gen Honda for a while if you get the 22 CRF250. The rest of the bikes are set for generation updates next year or a couple of years from now. And the first impressions of the bike seems to be positive, i'll personally get to ride it next Friday.
motodad312
9/10/2021 10:39am
get a 350. may sound like more bike but as a novice, i think you'll find it easier to ride.
Motofinne
9/10/2021 10:41am
motodad312 wrote:
get a 350. may sound like more bike but as a novice, i think you'll find it easier to ride.
That is actually not a bad shout either.
250 cross
9/10/2021 10:54am
I'm 65, my riding buddy 59. We both raced for years at the front in mx. Both have 07 "290" four strokes, both have 250 two strokes and both bought new 250fs. I'm a Suzuki guy and he's Kawi. We ride the same type bike as each other on ride nights. We're pretty close on everything except our new bikes. My Suzuki appears to be a lot easier to ride (as in faster lap times) than his Kawi. If you read the tests they'll tell you the Suzuki is several years at least behind in power development but has very friendly power. For racing, probably not good but for old guys that means way easier to ride! I'll admit my new Suzuki has taken quite a bit to get the suspension heading in the right direction but the power is very usable and productive for play racing.
AH387
9/10/2021 11:26am Edited Date/Time 9/10/2021 2:16pm
Motofinne wrote:
All of them are good for a beginner. I would get the bike that you can get the best deal with and the best support from...
All of them are good for a beginner. I would get the bike that you can get the best deal with and the best support from the dealer on the spare parts, setup help, gear etc.

But if you're looking to have the bike for multiple years, the Honda would be a good choice. It got its big generational update now and wont change for years except smaller tweaks. So you'll have the latest gen Honda for a while if you get the 22 CRF250. The rest of the bikes are set for generation updates next year or a couple of years from now. And the first impressions of the bike seems to be positive, i'll personally get to ride it next Friday.
I disagree with a lot of this, respectfully. I never liked the "pick a color/dealer/" advice. I think while all bikes are good, each one does things a different way and a rider should know what works best for them when making a big purchase. For instance, while I think the KTM250SXF is a great bike, I have ridden them and personally do not like the power characteristic. They feel like they rev slow and the gears feel long to me. I like the more abrupt, faster revving power of the Yamaha (or possibly the new Honda.) That's just 1 example, but figuring out what fits how you ride and selecting the appropriate bike to me makes a lot more sense then buying a bike based on the dealer, color or any other reason.

Also, having the newest generation strictly because it's the newest generation is sometimes a silly way to look at it. I would want the new Honda just because now it makes power that fits a broader spectrum of riders, not because it's going to be the new-gen for years to come. But not buying a Yamaha (or KTM) just because the bike may change next year, is silly if the current model does everything that fits your needs. Usually the final run of a generation has all of the kinks worked out, which can't always be said for the first year bike. But sometimes people just need to feel like they have the latest because it's cool, which to each their own.
brocsdad
9/10/2021 11:54am
My first choice would be the YZF.

The Yamaha is going to be the easiest to ride and if you are between 145-165lbs the suspension should work really well. Anything outside of the that may require changing springs. The other bikes are simply not as good as the Yamaha when it comes to suspension. The YZF motor is very torquey and easy to ride thanks to the strong low-end and mid-range.

My second choice would be the CRF. The bottom end power is better than last year but not as good as YZF and the top is good but not as good as the KTM. Though the layout/ergonomics on the Honda second to none. I think it would be a blast to ride!

The KTM/GASGAS.Husky will need suspension work to fix the forks.

The 22 KXF has no bottom to speak of but hits like a ton of bricks in the midrange. The forks would also need work.

The RMZ is underpowered and would need suspension work. Not to mention no electric start.

The problem now is finding a bike where the dealer's not adding a ton of fee's etc. We picked up our 21 YZF for 7999.00 but you must shop around.

Good Luck!

Leeham
Fantasy
3084th
9/10/2021 12:01pm
True beginner? Id go with either Yam or Honda.
Novice skill level? Still Yam or Honda. The Yamaha makes decent low end power and torque off the bottom and gets into the midrange quick. Making it easier to ride especially on tighter tracks. If the new Honda is similar in power curve, or just a touch less off the bottom vs YZ, then its a solid choice too. RMZ would be a good pick too, but the resell value is much better on blue and red if you want to let go of it.
My recommendation is based off what ive seen and experience. Newer slower riders dont rev the bike out (usually, there are the goons who ride 2nd gear to the limiter thinking they are going faster but not really). So picking a more top end oriented bike is going to make it tougher. (Kawi, KTM/Hus/GG, last gen Honda). But this could be good because softer bottom power can make people new to the sport feel more comfortable. In a perfect world everyone would start on an aircooled 4 stroke to learn controls and body position. Whether its just a day or a week. Introducing 40 HP machines to new people cam be troublesome.
9/10/2021 2:05pm Edited Date/Time 9/10/2021 2:05pm
I am a bit biased but I vote for the Honda, such a great bike almost feels as light as my 150sx.
ATXMX
9/10/2021 6:12pm
I love my 2022 Kawi 250F. I'm 45 and just getting back into dirtbikes after a 27 year hiatus. It's super fun and i get better every time i ride it.
RCN4HIM
9/10/2021 9:42pm
The only answer is a RMZ… Let the rest of us ride the other brands were we can find them in this plandemic bike shortage until your up to speed 😜!
suspensionguy
Fantasy
2001st
9/10/2021 10:30pm Edited Date/Time 9/10/2021 10:32pm
For a beginner the rmz is hard to beat. Cheapest in class, tough and reliable, plus being the under dog is always cool. Get the suspension valved sprung for you and go have fun, this goes for all the current crop 250f’s.
Nt141
9/10/2021 10:40pm
brocsdad wrote:
My first choice would be the YZF. The Yamaha is going to be the easiest to ride and if you are between 145-165lbs the suspension should...
My first choice would be the YZF.

The Yamaha is going to be the easiest to ride and if you are between 145-165lbs the suspension should work really well. Anything outside of the that may require changing springs. The other bikes are simply not as good as the Yamaha when it comes to suspension. The YZF motor is very torquey and easy to ride thanks to the strong low-end and mid-range.

My second choice would be the CRF. The bottom end power is better than last year but not as good as YZF and the top is good but not as good as the KTM. Though the layout/ergonomics on the Honda second to none. I think it would be a blast to ride!

The KTM/GASGAS.Husky will need suspension work to fix the forks.

The 22 KXF has no bottom to speak of but hits like a ton of bricks in the midrange. The forks would also need work.

The RMZ is underpowered and would need suspension work. Not to mention no electric start.

The problem now is finding a bike where the dealer's not adding a ton of fee's etc. We picked up our 21 YZF for 7999.00 but you must shop around.

Good Luck!

Interesting what you say about the KTM/GG/Husky forks! I am curious the last time you rode on the new bikes. I am 20 and intermediate/B. I got a brand new 2019 KTM 350 in December of 2018 and had to get off the bike. I could not get along with the forks at all, harsh and couldn't handle slap down landings one bit. I went to Yamaha after that and vowed to never buy anything but a YZ again. Then cool new red KTM's came around last year and I had to try one out and found the forks to be great, not as good as the YZ's, but better than my Kawi's that had been revalved, and better than my friends Honda that had been revalved. I rode a 2022 KTM 350 just a couple weeks ago and they have only got better, I would go as far as saying on par with a stock 2021 yz250f that I rode that same day. I have a new 2022 MC250F that I am picking up tomorrow even. Maybe I have just got used to it, but I would imagine for a beginner rider it wouldn't cause any problems.

Do not want to sound like a know it all or anything. Just curious because I swear they have got exponentially better over the past few years and I feel like that goes overlooked. Everyone associates KTM brands with garbage forks and I think that's not the case anymore.
9/10/2021 11:51pm
If you don't want to be a 40 year old beginner Novice for long then get a 250 2 stroke and learn how to ride the lightning son!
Thank me later....
tek14
9/11/2021 12:15am
If you want to put lot of hours then go with KTM(family) or Yamaha.
Kawasaki and Honda will need more service as they wear out quick.
BikePilot
9/11/2021 7:28am
Except for the Suzuki they are all so close the difference won’t matter in the least at your level. Pick your favorite color or local dealer and have fun.
Yeti831
9/11/2021 9:06am
At your level, just get what fits you the best/you can get the best price on.

But IF I were to choose, I’d say either the Honda or Kawi personally.

Although in terms of durability, I do believe the ktm/husky 250s have forged engine internals. If I’m wrong on that, please correct me.
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
9/11/2021 5:52pm
A 40 year old beginner is not going to stress the engine internals on any 250f. Suzuki isn’t the cheapest once you figure in the mandatory respring and revalve. Honda is the cheapest out of the bunch that is ready to ride. Don’t be afraid of a leftover ‘21 Honda if you can get a deal on it.
kiwifan
9/11/2021 6:07pm
tek14 wrote:
If you want to put lot of hours then go with KTM(family) or Yamaha.
Kawasaki and Honda will need more service as they wear out quick.
the 2022 CRF is brand new (and this thread is talking about 2022 250's), are you claiming it and the Kawasaki wear out quicker when they have only just come out? What facts are you basing that one?
Leeham
Fantasy
3084th
9/11/2021 9:28pm
kiwifan wrote:
the 2022 CRF is brand new (and this thread is talking about 2022 250's), are you claiming it and the Kawasaki wear out quicker when they...
the 2022 CRF is brand new (and this thread is talking about 2022 250's), are you claiming it and the Kawasaki wear out quicker when they have only just come out? What facts are you basing that one?
The 21 Kawis have been blowing up clutches so bad theres a recall for safety. And some people even with the fix, they still fry clutches and break plates. Check 21 Kawi 250 thread.
kiwifan
9/11/2021 10:36pm
kiwifan wrote:
the 2022 CRF is brand new (and this thread is talking about 2022 250's), are you claiming it and the Kawasaki wear out quicker when they...
Leeham wrote:
The 21 Kawis have been blowing up clutches so bad theres a recall for safety. And some people even with the fix, they still fry clutches...
The 21 Kawis have been blowing up clutches so bad theres a recall for safety. And some people even with the fix, they still fry clutches and break plates. Check 21 Kawi 250 thread.
we are talking about 2022 bikes....how do you know that hasnt been fixed for the 2022?

Post a reply to: 2022 250f's

The Latest