2021 KX450 clutch

49weasel
Edited Date/Time 7/1/2021 8:32am
Anyone had issues replacing their clutch ? A buddy recently went thru a nightmare replacing his. After going through a couple of clutches in 5hrs he contacted Kaw and they sent this. I need a new clutch myself just wondering if anyone else has or had measured.

|
Kyle978
5/3/2021 7:49pm
20 hard hours on my clutch with no issues. A rider.

Curious what others report when they’ve replaced theirs.
Nate_Z
5/3/2021 8:53pm
Swapped to a Rekluse on my 21 today. Clutch has 13 hours and looked brand new
WDSRCR
5/4/2021 4:39am
I have 52 hours of woods racing on my stock clutch.

In regards to the information above, I had been told by my local shop that the Kaw is very specific on the clutch pack "thickness" or length as stated above.

After talking to Steward Baylor late last year, my plan was to replace the OEM parts with a Rekluse Torque Drive when it was time for replacement. Stew said the inner hub was very soft and no matter what he did, after grooving the inner hub and outer basket, replacement clutches didn't last more 2 hours.

coastie44
5/4/2021 8:32am
Weasel - indeed the Kawi seems sensitive to this "clutch pack height" measurement and this should be considered when replacing a clutch. I went through something similar with my 13 KXF and ended up using one of the "alternate" thickness plates. After having a 13, 17, and 19 KXF, I find the OEM plates to be the most consistent and longest lasting.

I haven't tried any Rekluse stuff so YMMV when using their hardware.

The Shop

Moto520
5/4/2021 9:03am
That's shitty. It's like they kind of threw the clutch together and fix manufacturing flaws by tweaking the thickness. No other builder does this that i have heard of. Anyhoo.....get the Rekluse Torq-Drive kit and it will be good (i love those things)
stax199
5/4/2021 9:49am
i replaced my 2020 coem pack with a full hinson pack.. had to remove the judder spring plates. Runs great feel like it gave me a tiny bit of power too..have 6 hours on it no issues. Had 25 hour son the OEM no issue either.
motomike894
5/4/2021 1:39pm
The 21 is not same as 20 though so can’t compare the two really.

Me and weasel both wondering the answer to the 21 question
ParksVader
5/4/2021 2:32pm
Nothing in the '21 design is 'more difficult' to change compared to the '20 style clutch. The plates are not interchangeable so just be sure you are installing the correct plates into the correct year bike.

'21 is a disc style spring, with bigger plates. The disc style spring and bigger plates create a bigger overall clutch unit so a 'deeper' clutch cover and slightly different bend brake pedal are also new part#s on the '21. Along with a different basket & pressure plate of course. '20 is a more traditional style with 6 coil springs. Each design has its negatives and positives with performance, clutch action and how the different inertias of each clutch perform on the track. '21 is overall heavier than '20 so that extra inertia effects performance is various ways.

Replacing either style is simple so long as you put the right parts in and don't cut corners (like trying to recycle steels and/or fibers) and OEM plates are always best, no debate. Always be sure your steels are positioned the same way (either sharps in or sharps out) and be sure you install inner and outer fiber plates (they differ from the fibers in the center of the clutch stack) and soak in oil of course before you install and follow the book on torque. on '20 its a good move to replace the bottom judder and 1/2 fiber with another 'outer' fiber in their place.

"a couple clutches in 5hrs" is either fibers in wrong spots, sharps all mixed up and/or your inner hub/basket/pp are already so worn that new plates wont help.... or you simply don't ride the bike correctly. You should easily be able to go 15-20hrs on a clutch unless you modulate your speed with the clutch lever and/or ride mud every time.

chuck356
5/4/2021 7:26pm
We started to see this measurement needed 20 some years ago on street bikes, it is a fool-proof method of setting up a clutch.
SpicyPepe
6/30/2021 9:17am
I just bought a brand new 2021 KX 450 and am having some clutch issues within 5 hours on it. I get really bad slipping in all gears when my engine gets hot. I will say that i was riding track pretty hard when it was wet and muddy in the AM and that could be the reason. When i pulled the plates and frictions the plates in the middle were all burned. I dont like the new style pressure plate. I think its stupid and will loose tension over time. I already bought a new Hinson plate and friction kit so ill probably go back and replace the hub/pressure plate and add the stiffer springs to make it more like the 2020 model. Pretty sure this was mostly my fault as the stock oil from the dealer was probably low and i was riding it too hard while low in heavy mud at the track. This is a great thread for any kx hydro clutch issues.
Kyle978
6/30/2021 11:21am Edited Date/Time 6/30/2021 3:15pm
40 hours on my ‘21, hard A level off-road and moto. No issues at all. Just did 120 miles of gnarly single track on Saturday, engine overheating, clutch fanning like crazy with no fade.

I am very impressed with the clutch.
SpicyPepe
6/30/2021 2:55pm
Kyle978 wrote:
40 hours on my ‘21, hard A level off-road and moto. No issues at all. Just did 120 miles of gnarly single track on Saturday, engine...
40 hours on my ‘21, hard A level off-road and moto. No issues at all. Just did 120 miles of gnarly single track on Saturday, engine overheating, clutch fanning like crazy with no fade.

Man its so weird. It might have something to do with my riding. Im coming off of a rekluse auto clutch on my old 450 and it was like learning to ride again with a clutch. I think I fried the plates and will just replace. I ride around the dirt trails by my house with my daughter on the front with me and we just cruise in 1st and and 2nd so i wonder if all the intended clutch slipping while going slow has caused the issue. last time at the track i only did 5 laps before it started slipping really bad past 1/2 throttle. I got the new plates and frictions today and will see if it is better this weekend.
SpicyPepe
6/30/2021 9:40pm
Kyle978 wrote:
40 hours on my ‘21, hard A level off-road and moto. No issues at all. Just did 120 miles of gnarly single track on Saturday, engine...

I figured it out!!! I recently put an ARC lever on it and the contact point between the lever and the push rod piston weren't seated correctly. So the piston was partially pushed in at the master cylinder causing the slipping. I guess after a track ride the week before somethin made it un seat. I fixed it and its running so nice again. I did burn about 3 metal plates though doing a couple laps just thinking it was the mud causing me to rev more. Either way I replaced the plates and frictions and its perfect again. I do notice that the stock clutch lever is a lot easier to pull than an ARC lever. I still run the ARC's though because they dont break. Thanks for all the input.
RQC Racing
7/1/2021 7:25am
I have a 19 ,20 & 21 Kawi KX450 never had clutch problem.
Cru_Jones
7/1/2021 7:26am
So glad I sold mine. That bike is such a pile.
SpicyPepe
7/1/2021 8:32am
RQC Racing wrote:
I have a 19 ,20 & 21 Kawi KX450 never had clutch problem.
I fixed it! My ARC lever moved out of place where it meets the piston and the bike is super fresh again!
Sandusky26
12/13/2022 2:48am

It's time to replace the clutch in my 22 and was wondering what you guys ended up doing for replacement. I usually use oem, but I'm thinking about using Hinson plates so I don't have to spend a lot of time measuring the OEM plates.

49weasel
12/13/2022 5:14am
Sandusky26 wrote:
It's time to replace the clutch in my 22 and was wondering what you guys ended up doing for replacement. I usually use oem, but I'm...

It's time to replace the clutch in my 22 and was wondering what you guys ended up doing for replacement. I usually use oem, but I'm thinking about using Hinson plates so I don't have to spend a lot of time measuring the OEM plates.

I started the post. Last year I was having issues getting oem plates and switched to Hinson.   Seems to get the same life as oem. They finally have a heavy duty clutch spring  in stock now also.  It may not be on the website yet but if you call they will be able to sell you one with your new kit.  

Sandusky26
12/13/2022 8:12am
Sandusky26 wrote:
It's time to replace the clutch in my 22 and was wondering what you guys ended up doing for replacement. I usually use oem, but I'm...

49weasel wrote:
I started the post. Last year I was having issues getting oem plates and switched to Hinson.   Seems to get the same life as oem...

I started the post. Last year I was having issues getting oem plates and switched to Hinson.   Seems to get the same life as oem. They finally have a heavy duty clutch spring  in stock now also.  It may not be on the website yet but if you call they will be able to sell you one with your new kit.  

Have you tried the Hinson spring yet?

Kyle978
12/13/2022 8:45am
Sandusky26 wrote:

I've been replacing my plates with Hinson on the Kawi since the beginning of last year. I noticed about 6 months ago they changed the fiber plates to be all the same. Initially you needed to keep track of the inner and outer plates and make sure you put them in the correct order. Now you just drop them all in the same. 

I do new friction, fiber and springs every other time I change the clutch. So just fibers one time, then the whole kit the next. 

I've had good luck with the Hinson stuff on the Kawi. I just put in a complete clutch last week (basket, pressure plate etc.) and don't notice a huge difference over stock like I have on other bikes such as Honda's.

49weasel
12/13/2022 10:26am
Sandusky26 wrote:

Not yet.  Have about 20hrs on the 23 so not far from needing.  

Sandusky26
12/13/2022 1:33pm
Sandusky26 wrote:

Kyle978 wrote:
I've been replacing my plates with Hinson on the Kawi since the beginning of last year. I noticed about 6 months ago they changed the fiber...

I've been replacing my plates with Hinson on the Kawi since the beginning of last year. I noticed about 6 months ago they changed the fiber plates to be all the same. Initially you needed to keep track of the inner and outer plates and make sure you put them in the correct order. Now you just drop them all in the same. 

I do new friction, fiber and springs every other time I change the clutch. So just fibers one time, then the whole kit the next. 

I've had good luck with the Hinson stuff on the Kawi. I just put in a complete clutch last week (basket, pressure plate etc.) and don't notice a huge difference over stock like I have on other bikes such as Honda's.

Does your bike have the new clutch with diaphragm spring? Mine has 26 hours and I've noticed it doesn't pull as hard as it did when it had less time on it. I'm thinking I'll try just replacing the friction plates. I don't mind keeping the plates in order, I just didn't want to have to worry about the different sized steel plates and stack height measurement. 

Sandusky26
12/13/2022 1:34pm
Sandusky26 wrote:

49weasel wrote:

I'm wondering how stiff the clutch pull would be with the Hinson, I like how easy the stock lever pull is.

49weasel
12/13/2022 3:02pm
Sandusky26 wrote:

49weasel wrote:

Sandusky26 wrote:

I'm wondering how stiff the clutch pull would be with the Hinson, I like how easy the stock lever pull is.

Since it’s hydraulic the pull won’t change.   

Cygrace74
12/13/2022 3:15pm

Anyone with the newer design ARC lever get a different pushrod or use the oem one. The older style lever came with an ARC rod that was different and the new flatter curve lever didn’t come with one. I’ve been having the clutch start dragging when getting hot and the lever gets tight. Only happens with ARC lever on 

RGaede
12/13/2022 5:13pm
49weasel wrote:

Since it’s hydraulic the pull won’t change.   

The pull on my 19 with the 6 spring clutch is noticeably stiffer with the hinson hd springs. 

Post a reply to: 2021 KX450 clutch

The Latest