2021 Crated Honda CRF450R

Related:
Create New Tag

1/17/2021 11:27 AM

Anyone know dealerships that sell crated Honda’s? A friend down the street needs a couple. No one here in NC will sell crated bikes.

|

1/17/2021 11:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2021 11:51 AM

I was a Honda Dealer for (10) years. Honda will not allow dealers to sell crated bikes to public, due to liability. Bikes must be set up to “pre-delivery” criteria. Then signed off by a technician

|

1/17/2021 12:09 PM

in addition to liability issues with owners assembling their own bikes, A few brands require new motorcycles to be electronically unlocked by the dealer during the PDI process, so crated bikes that are stolen will not run.

|

1/17/2021 12:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2021 12:37 PM

I don't doubt what Robbirob25 said.... though Kyle Chisholm picked up 3 crated Yamaha's

|

1/17/2021 12:45 PM

Moto Obsessed wrote:

I don't doubt what Robbirob25 said.... though Kyle Chisholm picked up 3 crated Yamaha's

Well Chiz is a professional racer with likely some support. Comparing him to the average Joe is absurd.

|

1/17/2021 1:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2021 1:01 PM

Robbirob25 wrote:

I was a Honda Dealer for (10) years. Honda will not allow dealers to sell crated bikes to public, due to liability. Bikes must be set up to “pre-delivery” criteria. Then signed off by a technician

I’ve watched no less than 5 videos of everyday Joe’s bringing home crated 2021 CRF450R’s and CRF450WE’s in the last month. Someone is selling them.

|

1/17/2021 1:17 PM

Bikes are sold all.the time in a crate. Dealer, customer relationship.

|

1/17/2021 1:21 PM

For the people who say you “have to” leave with an assembled bike.... this was my trailer in 2014 Photo

|

1/17/2021 1:40 PM

How much of discount is a crated bike? Possible to get a crated KTM?

|

1/17/2021 2:12 PM

mxb2 wrote:

Exactly! Be cool with the owner/manager, it is all in is advantage to sell you the bike still crated. There is no warranty on competition bike, don't know why it would be a liability issue, not like if it was a Goldwing

|

1/17/2021 2:45 PM

Maybe if you have a real relationship with a dealer and not just bottom line price shopping it could happen. I've had a couple bikes that were shit when I got them after paying dealer set up fees. If I could I would happily take a bike home in a crate.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

1/17/2021 3:59 PM

this sweetheart came to us in the box
Photo

|

1/17/2021 5:10 PM

pete24 wrote:

this sweetheart came to us in the box
Photo

Yep us too Photo

Had a 20 delivered in the crate too

|

1/17/2021 5:36 PM

You need/should have a good relationship with the dealer. Hopefully buds.

|

1/17/2021 5:56 PM

It took me a long time to get up to "average Joe" status, but I can still buy a bike in a crate. I had to assemble them in the parking lot because the crates were too long to fit in my van.

Photo
Photo

|

1/17/2021 9:23 PM

For those that are getting crated bikes should really keep quite about it unless they want to get their dealer in trouble! No manufacturer allows their dealers to do it!

|

1/17/2021 9:54 PM

ccullins wrote:

For those that are getting crated bikes should really keep quite about it unless they want to get their dealer in trouble! No manufacturer allows their dealers to do it!

Who's naming names? Settle down Francis

|

1/18/2021 6:02 AM

mxb2 wrote:

llaliberte22 wrote:

Exactly! Be cool with the owner/manager, it is all in is advantage to sell you the bike still crated. There is no warranty on competition bike, don't know why it would be a liability issue, not like if it was a Goldwing

Relationship has nothing to do with it... The process is for the dealer to set up and to verify through the checklist everything was put together correctly to protect the Dealer, Honda Motor Corp, and most importantly the customer.
If you believe that only a Goldwing rider will sue and not a racer, I promise you, you are mistaken. I see all of the bikes in crates, it doesn't make it correct. My idea of taking care of a customer with a "Good Relationship" would be to build the bike, and then wave the fee. Not send it out the door in a crate...

Just my 2 cents.

|

1/18/2021 6:08 AM

I’d say it’s a 50/50 chance at best that you are actually safer if the dealer “builds” the bike.... 🤣

|

1/18/2021 6:27 AM

They can build it, sign off, and put it back in the crate. Not like it’s a difficult, time consuming process.

|

1/18/2021 6:29 AM

LungButter wrote:

I’d say it’s a 50/50 chance at best that you are actually safer if the dealer “builds” the bike.... 🤣

I was gonna say the same, I don’t think I’ve ever gotten a bike with the front wheel put on correctly laughing . It’s kind of laughable that they supposedly put the bike together for “safety reasons”, yet it seems like most dealers can’t even handle attaching the front wheel and bars. . .

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com

1/18/2021 6:41 AM

LungButter wrote:

Under certain circumstances, you're not wrong! Those guys are out there for sure, and someone hired them! w00t

|

1/18/2021 6:43 AM

My first new bike I bought myself was a 2000 RM125. I showed up at the multi-line dealer and my bike had a KX125 front wheel on it. That was the year Kawasaki had those U-shaped DID rims so it was plain as day.

|

1/18/2021 7:09 AM

Don’t we all strip it back down and rebuild it with the correct torque settings and grease etc once we get home anyway?

I’d never ride a bike the dealer assembled, way too many parts are loose or not lubricated when I disassemble them

|

1/18/2021 7:13 AM

Beeby wrote:

Don’t we all strip it back down and rebuild it with the correct torque settings and grease etc once we get home anyway?

I’d never ride a bike the dealer assembled, way too many parts are loose or not lubricated when I disassemble them

Yep, the only thing they are trying to "protect" by demanding the dealer put it together for you is the profit margins for the dealer.

They pay some kid $13/hour to put bikes together then charge you $500 for the privilege of getting to take it all apart and redo everything,

Can't blame them I suppose, the margins on bikes are shit.

|

1/18/2021 7:16 AM

Robbirob25 wrote:

*Unless you have a relationship

|

1/18/2021 7:48 AM

Robbirob25 wrote:

walent215 wrote:

Nope... Relationship not worth the risk.
We would build and wave the fee.

That was how we took care of "the relationship".

Again, just my .02

|

1/18/2021 8:13 AM

Robbirob25 wrote:

walent215 wrote:

Robbirob25 wrote:

Nope... Relationship not worth the risk.
We would build and wave the fee.

That was how we took care of "the relationship".

Again, just my .02

For some , yes , it’s not worth the risk ...
For others , it’s business as usual....
Because of the relationship

|

1/18/2021 5:04 PM

LungButter wrote:

Yep, the only thing they are trying to "protect" by demanding the dealer put it together for you is the profit margins for the dealer.

They pay some kid $13/hour to put bikes together then charge you $500 for the privilege of getting to take it all apart and redo everything,

Can't blame them I suppose, the margins on bikes are shit.

Much like freight is under 200 and they turn around charge 400-500

|

1/18/2021 7:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/18/2021 7:02 PM

mxb2 wrote:

llaliberte22 wrote:

Robbirob25 wrote:

Relationship has nothing to do with it... The process is for the dealer to set up and to verify through the checklist everything was put together correctly to protect the Dealer, Honda Motor Corp, and most importantly the customer.
If you believe that only a Goldwing rider will sue and not a racer, I promise you, you are mistaken. I see all of the bikes in crates, it doesn't make it correct. My idea of taking care of a customer with a "Good Relationship" would be to build the bike, and then wave the fee. Not send it out the door in a crate...

Just my 2 cents.

How? You wad yourself up on a ride, is the dealer/manufacture going to cover everything, or is it an assumed risk?

What about fresh bikes that have zero grease on bearings, are they liable for that?

It’s about getting money to pay a kid $15/hr to spend an hour or less to PDI a bike and nothing about liability. Especially considering these bikes don’t have standing warranties.

Change my mind.

:edit: didn’t read LungButter’s comment. But I’m clearly not the only who knows the dealer game.

|