2021 CRF450

Related:
Create New Tag

12/9/2019 10:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/9/2019 10:34 PM

Is the bike changing for 2021? Less rigid frame? Hydro clutch? Updated suspension settings? I know this post seems a bit early but we're only what, 8-9 months out from new bike season? Paging ML512

|

12/9/2019 10:44 PM

vitalriderCrf wrote:

Is the bike changing for 2021? Less rigid frame? Hydro clutch? Updated suspension settings? I know this post seems a bit early but we're only what, 8-9 months out from new bike season? Paging ML512

I suspect they may 'calm' the chassis down a fraction, personally I hope they dont do a hydro clutch, suspension settings were ok ...just the chassis requires careful setup thats all

|

Current rides: 2020 CRF450RWE and 2019 TC300
Occasional ride for VMX: 1985 CR500RF
Adventure/Road bike: CRF1000L

12/10/2019 6:11 AM

i hope so. Holding off to see if the change the frame up. If the had a chassi like the kx, holly shit!

|

12/10/2019 10:07 AM

GPrider wrote:

i hope so. Holding off to see if the change the frame up. If the had a chassi like the kx, holly shit!

Yeah I haven’t ridden the new KX but I’ve heard the frame and most things are really good. Even my suspension tuner has been a long time Honda guy and switched to a 2019 KX because he didn’t like the current Honda frame. I’m over 200 LBS so it doesn’t bother me as much but I’d say it’s probably the biggest negative of the bike. It would be great if Honda would address it

|

12/10/2019 10:16 AM

I’m excited for this as well and surprised we haven’t heard anything yet. New frame that still has great turning characteristics but isn’t as rigid and Is a bit easier to Setup would be great. Any chance Honda just slaps BNG on the 2020 and waits another year?

|

2017 CRF450r

12/10/2019 10:53 AM

please be a 350. that is all.

|

12/10/2019 12:22 PM

vitalriderCrf wrote:

kiwifan wrote:

I suspect they may 'calm' the chassis down a fraction, personally I hope they dont do a hydro clutch, suspension settings were ok ...just the chassis requires careful setup thats all

Why would you want to keep a cable clutch? It’s complete garbage and the stock basket/plates are trashed in 8 hours.

|

Washed up moto and enduro weekend warrior.

12/10/2019 1:28 PM

Should be a nearly all-new machine again. 2020 was year 4 of the cycle, which is what Honda usually sticks to. I’ve heard a few rumors of what could change but nothing super reliable. One such was possibility of single side exhaust...but once again, not sure on how true it would be.

|

12/10/2019 1:30 PM

ML512 wrote:

Should be a nearly all-new machine again. 2020 was year 4 of the cycle, which is what Honda usually sticks to. I’ve heard a few rumors of what could change but nothing super reliable. One such was possibility of single side exhaust...but once again, not sure on how true it would be.

Thank you Michael! And yes 2020 is the fourth year so that’s why I started this thread and why I’m so surprised I haven’t heard anything yet.

|

12/10/2019 1:33 PM

vitalriderCrf wrote:

kiwifan wrote:

MxKing809 wrote:

Why would you want to keep a cable clutch? It’s complete garbage and the stock basket/plates are trashed in 8 hours.

AGREED. Cable or Hydro they need to do something! The judder spring is garbage. If you keep your cable lubed it definitely helps keep a nice smooth feel but the clutch all together could be much better.

|

12/10/2019 1:43 PM

I just sold my 17, I was gonna pull the trigger on a 20 but I’m going to wait it out, I’ll ride my 125 next year

|

If you like uncle tony's meatballs, you'll love his sausage

Now that's Italian

12/10/2019 1:47 PM

MxKing809 wrote:

I know guys who got less than that, believe it or not I got 60 hours on my 450 before it fritz, but I rode 500 two strokes since 1980 lol maybe that’s why?

|

If you like uncle tony's meatballs, you'll love his sausage

Now that's Italian

12/10/2019 2:35 PM

I was going to sell my 2017 and buy a 2020 bike this summer. I decided to wait because there wasn’t enough difference between the bikes to make me want to buy new.

I also figured that Honda has to make some significant changes to their 2021 450 to compete with Kawasaki and Yamaha.

If Honda doesn’t make significant changes for 2021, they’ll be in the same boat as Suzuki.

Granted, Honda does at least have an electric starter on their stock bikes - but I added an e start, had do suspension work, remap my ECU, and add a Hinson clutch to get my bike to the level that Kawasaki and Yamaha now come stock.

|

12/10/2019 2:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/10/2019 2:39 PM

vitalriderCrf wrote:

kiwifan wrote:

MxKing809 wrote:

I prefer the feel of the cable clutch, as for the basket/plates, easy fix, I slap on a Hinson ...then again on this bike you do not HAVE to thrash the clutch, so I actually never had a major issue with the standard clutch, if you want to clutch the fuck out of it out of every corner (like for magazine photo shoots, etc) then yeah it wont last long... I only use a Hinson as used them for years, call it habit

|

12/10/2019 2:42 PM

303MX wrote:

I was going to sell my 2017 and buy a 2020 bike this summer. I decided to wait because there wasn’t enough difference between the bikes to make me want to buy new.

I also figured that Honda has to make some significant changes to their 2021 450 to compete with Kawasaki and Yamaha.

If Honda doesn’t make significant changes for 2021, they’ll be in the same boat as Suzuki.

Granted, Honda does at least have an electric starter on their stock bikes - but I added an e start, had do suspension work, remap my ECU, and add a Hinson clutch to get my bike to the level that Kawasaki and Yamaha now come stock.

Not too sure if you have ridden the 2017 and the 2020, both are night and day different

|

12/10/2019 3:04 PM

303MX wrote:

kiwifan wrote:

Not too sure if you have ridden the 2017 and the 2020, both are night and day different

Really? Where did they make gains? I have only ridden 2017's (mine and maybe two others), the 2019's and 2020's do look really good.

|

12/10/2019 9:45 PM

303MX wrote:

kiwifan wrote:

vitalriderCrf wrote:

Really? Where did they make gains? I have only ridden 2017's (mine and maybe two others), the 2019's and 2020's do look really good.

it has more power (even though it doesnt really need it), mapping is much better especially down low, suspension settings were also much better, the new traction control system is awesome and it works

|

12/10/2019 10:09 PM

kiwifan wrote:

vitalriderCrf wrote:

kiwifan wrote:

it has more power (even though it doesnt really need it), mapping is much better especially down low, suspension settings were also much better, the new traction control system is awesome and it works

Good to hear. I definitely need to have my 17 mapped still. I bet that’s way better on the newer bikes like you mentioned

|

12/11/2019 12:10 AM

vitalriderCrf wrote:

kiwifan wrote:

MxKing809 wrote:

8? How did you manage to last that long?

|

12/11/2019 6:55 AM

303MX wrote:

same boat as suzuki is a huge stretch. maybe there boats in the same ocean as suzuki, but the suzuki is sinking to the bottom of the Marianas trench

|

12/11/2019 4:16 PM

kiwifan wrote:

MxKing809 wrote:

kiwifan wrote:

I prefer the feel of the cable clutch, as for the basket/plates, easy fix, I slap on a Hinson ...then again on this bike you do not HAVE to thrash the clutch, so I actually never had a major issue with the standard clutch, if you want to clutch the fuck out of it out of every corner (like for magazine photo shoots, etc) then yeah it wont last long... I only use a Hinson as used them for years, call it habit

I mean, sure.... money fixes all.

I put a full Hinson BTL slipper clutch in mine - but what does that have to due with the conversation about the garbage they installed stock? Get with the times Honda so we don’t have to spend $1250 on a Hinson assembly and still have a butthole cable

|

12/11/2019 4:32 PM

MxKing809 wrote:

I put a full Hinson BTL slipper clutch in mine - but what does that have to due with the conversation about the garbage they installed stock? Get with the times Honda so we don’t have to spend $1250 on a Hinson assembly and still have a butthole cable

How do you like the Hinson BTL?

|

12/11/2019 5:11 PM

MxKing809 wrote:

kiwifan wrote:

MxKing809 wrote:

Exactly. $1250 is not an “easy fix” for a blue collar moto guy.

|

12/11/2019 6:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/11/2019 6:59 PM

kiwifan wrote:

MxKing809 wrote:

Moto520 wrote:

How do you like the Hinson BTL?

Like the clutch action, but you have to live with a stiff lever compared to stock. The grip is unreal as with all Hinson products, and the adjustable washers in the inner hub can change up the action level on the slip function - but essentially it just makes your bike roll like you pulled in the clutch on harsh decel. I ride mostly sand here so I don’t notice the slip all the time, but rode a friends 450 on a hard packed track and I realized how much I missed it.

Frees up the rear shock for sure when the bike speed is faster than your engine, and there is a major decel force on the tranny.

|

12/13/2019 3:35 AM

"I heard" just means "I made this shit up"!! Love it! "My Buddy said" cool bananas!!

|

12/14/2019 2:46 PM

Joshracing wrote:

"I heard" just means "I made this shit up"!! Love it! "My Buddy said" cool bananas!!

thanks for your contribution to this thread, it was very helpful

|

12/14/2019 3:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/14/2019 4:32 PM

GPrider wrote:

vitalriderCrf wrote:

Yeah I haven’t ridden the new KX but I’ve heard the frame and most things are really good. Even my suspension tuner has been a long time Honda guy and switched to a 2019 KX because he didn’t like the current Honda frame. I’m over 200 LBS so it doesn’t bother me as much but I’d say it’s probably the biggest negative of the bike. It would be great if Honda would address it

I wouldn't listen to the nay sayers about the chassis. The new 17+ is very good & they made some changes to the 19 model. If at the highest level of racing HRC Honda is using oem engine hangers I would think for the average Joe they should work fine..

Talks about the oem hangers at the 1:55 minute mark.

?t=115

Talks about the oem hangers at the 4:08 minute mark.

?t=245
|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

12/14/2019 4:52 PM

Joshracing wrote:

Sorry this thread disappointed you. Instead of paging ML512 who doesn’t know anything about new bikes we’ll ask you next time Josh. Cheers

|

12/14/2019 11:23 PM

GPrider wrote:

vitalriderCrf wrote:

H4L wrote:

I wouldn't listen to the nay sayers about the chassis. The new 17+ is very good & they made some changes to the 19 model. If at the highest level of racing HRC Honda is using oem engine hangers I would think for the average Joe they should work fine..

Talks about the oem hangers at the 1:55 minute mark.

?t=115

Talks about the oem hangers at the 4:08 minute mark.

?t=245

So If you rider Roczen/Seely speed frame will have perfect flex ok.
How many will feel it too hard on slower speeds. If they let Roczen ride stock clutch it
sure would last lest 8 laps.

|

12/15/2019 2:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/15/2019 2:58 AM

tek14 wrote:

So If you rider Roczen/Seely speed frame will have perfect flex ok.
How many will feel it too hard on slower speeds. If they let Roczen ride stock clutch it
sure would last lest 8 laps.

Have perfect flex.. 8 laps on a stock clutch.. Huh.. Thnxz for showing an example of a nay sayer..
I seriously doubt any of the manufacturers have perfect flex when it comes to a chassis. As far as the stock clutch goes I don't believe any manufacturer oem clutch would survive long in the hands of a fast pro..

Interesting observation you made without riding one..

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/New-2020-HRC-Race-bike,1368640?exclusive_forum_user=false&page=1

"Looks heavy".

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.