2020vs2021 KX450

Related:
Create New Tag

9/27/2020 5:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/27/2020 5:52 AM

Looking at buying a bike this week, dealer has a 21 for 9600 otd, 2020 for 8400 otd. Is the new clutch really worth the extra coin or should I just get the 20 and yank out the judder spring? Coming off a Honda so I’m used to a shitty clutch

|

9/27/2020 6:00 AM

get the 2020. The 2022 will be new bike so the 2021 will have lower resell value

|

rarararaataatatatata

9/27/2020 7:17 AM

LeMay_848 wrote:

Looking at buying a bike this week, dealer has a 21 for 9600 otd, 2020 for 8400 otd. Is the new clutch really worth the extra coin or should I just get the 20 and yank out the judder spring? Coming off a Honda so I’m used to a shitty clutch

Get the ‘20. You can put the new clutch in for a lot less than $1K.

|

9/27/2020 8:11 AM

MZ193 wrote:

get the 2020. The 2022 will be new bike so the 2021 will have lower resell value

22 will not be a new bike as it came out in 19 and 21 is only year 3 on a 4 year production cycle. Get the 21 IMO

|

9/27/2020 8:39 AM

The clutch is nice. Definitely better than my ‘16. $1200 is a good bit of savings. The difference for me was about $500 so it was an easy decision.

|

9/27/2020 9:12 AM

MZ193 wrote:

get the 2020. The 2022 will be new bike so the 2021 will have lower resell value

Donkey Kong wrote:

22 will not be a new bike as it came out in 19 and 21 is only year 3 on a 4 year production cycle. Get the 21 IMO

The gen before this current gen was only around for 3 yrs so it’s possible the ‘22 will be new.

|

9/27/2020 9:17 AM

You can update the clutch to a 21 with a few new parts if you really care. I have a 19, and I think the clutch works just fine (as a matter of fact, I just won my first moto with it).

|

9/27/2020 9:23 AM

MZ193 wrote:

get the 2020. The 2022 will be new bike so the 2021 will have lower resell value

Donkey Kong wrote:

22 will not be a new bike as it came out in 19 and 21 is only year 3 on a 4 year production cycle. Get the 21 IMO

280driver wrote:

The gen before this current gen was only around for 3 yrs so it’s possible the ‘22 will be new.

No

|

9/27/2020 9:27 AM

Donkey Kong wrote:

22 will not be a new bike as it came out in 19 and 21 is only year 3 on a 4 year production cycle. Get the 21 IMO

280driver wrote:

The gen before this current gen was only around for 3 yrs so it’s possible the ‘22 will be new.

Donkey Kong wrote:

No

The ‘21 just won the first shootout of the year, so it seems like a risky proposition to roll out an all new bike next year.

|

9/27/2020 11:12 AM

280driver wrote:

The gen before this current gen was only around for 3 yrs so it’s possible the ‘22 will be new.

Donkey Kong wrote:

No

quadzrulebro wrote:

The ‘21 just won the first shootout of the year, so it seems like a risky proposition to roll out an all new bike next year.

Kawasaki usually does 3 year runs. 16, 17, 18 KX 450 were basically unchanged. 19, 20, 21 are the same for the most part. I'd look for a new bike in 22. That said, who knows with all the crazy shit going on.

|

9/27/2020 11:48 AM

Donkey Kong wrote:

22 will not be a new bike as it came out in 19 and 21 is only year 3 on a 4 year production cycle. Get the 21 IMO

280driver wrote:

The gen before this current gen was only around for 3 yrs so it’s possible the ‘22 will be new.

Donkey Kong wrote:

No

First Generation 2005-2008.
Second Generation 2009-2011.
Third Generation 2012-2015.
Fourth Generation 2016-2018.
Fifth Generation 2019-Present.

Yes

|

9/27/2020 11:49 AM

Didn’t they pull the 19 up a year though. I would bet this gen is at least 4 if not 5 model years.

|

9/27/2020 11:53 AM

Markopolo400 wrote:

Didn’t they pull the 19 up a year though. I would bet this gen is at least 4 if not 5 model years.

No. My brother is a Kawasaki dealer. Kawi does 3 years

|

9/27/2020 3:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/27/2020 3:34 PM

Markopolo400 wrote:

Didn’t they pull the 19 up a year though. I would bet this gen is at least 4 if not 5 model years.

Indy mxer wrote:

No. My brother is a Kawasaki dealer. Kawi does 3 years

KX250F '17,'18,19,'20. Yep 4 years...


KX250 '99, '00,'01,'02/ '94,'95,'96,'97,'98.

Your brother is FOS.

|

9/27/2020 3:42 PM

quadzrulebro wrote:

You can update the clutch to a 21 with a few new parts if you really care. I have a 19, and I think the clutch works just fine (as a matter of fact, I just won my first moto with it).

Agree

Get the better value, this is a great bike from '19 up. Upgrades you can add if you think you need them. The noise about the clutch in 2019 and 2020 is not as bad as you may have read

Happy as hell with my '19 (same as the '20)

|

9/27/2020 3:50 PM

The list of parts to change a 20 to a 21 clutch is not cheap. The 2020 clutch isn’t bad. If you want 1-1/8 bars too it is going to start adding up. If you are good enough to get contingencies the ‘21 will give you an extra year of those. The ‘21 will be worth more used. I don’t know how much but that might offset some of the cost difference when you go to sell.

|

9/27/2020 4:05 PM

wrc777 wrote:

The list of parts to change a 20 to a 21 clutch is not cheap. The 2020 clutch isn’t bad. If you want 1-1/8 bars too it is going to start adding up. If you are good enough to get contingencies the ‘21 will give you an extra year of those. The ‘21 will be worth more used. I don’t know how much but that might offset some of the cost difference when you go to sell.

Agree. Well said.

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

9/27/2020 5:07 PM

Donkey Kong wrote:

No

quadzrulebro wrote:

The ‘21 just won the first shootout of the year, so it seems like a risky proposition to roll out an all new bike next year.

Indy mxer wrote:

Kawasaki usually does 3 year runs. 16, 17, 18 KX 450 were basically unchanged. 19, 20, 21 are the same for the most part. I'd look for a new bike in 22. That said, who knows with all the crazy shit going on.

With the 250 coming 2 years late id assume 23 is the next 450 if they want to keep both bikes generations overlapping by 2 years

|

9/27/2020 5:34 PM

Markopolo400 wrote:

Didn’t they pull the 19 up a year though. I would bet this gen is at least 4 if not 5 model years.

Indy mxer wrote:

No. My brother is a Kawasaki dealer. Kawi does 3 years

LKHill wrote:

KX250F '17,'18,19,'20. Yep 4 years...


KX250 '99, '00,'01,'02/ '94,'95,'96,'97,'98.

Your brother is FOS.

The op was asking about the 450 Einstein. I buy one every 3 years. So I know a little bit about them. That doesn't mean for sure 22 will be all new with all that's going on. But that's how they normally do the 450.

|

9/27/2020 6:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/27/2020 6:12 PM

Get the 21 if you can't get the 2020 cheaper than a $1k off. Clutch is fine on the 2020, but resale of the 21 is a little better.

|

10/3/2020 10:50 AM

280driver wrote:

The gen before this current gen was only around for 3 yrs so it’s possible the ‘22 will be new.

Donkey Kong wrote:

No

280driver wrote:

First Generation 2005-2008.
Second Generation 2009-2011.
Third Generation 2012-2015.
Fourth Generation 2016-2018.
Fifth Generation 2019-Present.

Yes

How much you wana bet that the Kawi will be the same for 22?

|

10/3/2020 11:11 AM

Donkey Kong wrote:

No

280driver wrote:

First Generation 2005-2008.
Second Generation 2009-2011.
Third Generation 2012-2015.
Fourth Generation 2016-2018.
Fifth Generation 2019-Present.

Yes

Donkey Kong wrote:

How much you wana bet that the Kawi will be the same for 22?

I really don’t care if it’s new or not. Just said it’s possible and gave the information that supports why I said that.

|